|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Across what river does the Szechenyi Bridge stretch?
2. Where was the Superconducting Super Collider located, according to Kirsch in Chapter 20?
3. What modern artist who specialized in simple rectangles of color is mentioned in Chapter 1?
4. What is the Holy Seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Madrid?
5. What did Kirsch specialize in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Avila get into the Guggenheim?
2. What mental trait does Langdon struggle with in many instances in the text?
3. What inner conflict does Ambra struggle with as Kirsch begins his presentation?
4. What are Langdon's first impressions of Winston?
5. How do Langdon and Ambra get to Barcelona after Kirsch's murder?
6. What symbol(s) appear on the getaway car used by Avila? Why are they significant?
7. How is Edmond Kirsch killed?
8. What happened to Admiral Avila's family? How does this influence his actions in the novel?
9. How does al-Fadl die?
10. How does Langdon attain Kirsch's cell phone and access to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Edmond Kirsch in Origin. What discovery has Kirsch made? How does he go about revealing his discovery? What is revealed about Kirsch as the novel develops?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of Spain and the history of politics and religion in the country. Why does Brown set the novel here? What political history is highlighted in the novel? Why does the author go into detail with this history?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss three examples of symbolism in Origin. Why does the author illustrate some of the symbols in the narrative? How does Langdon interpret the symbols that he encounters? What symbol is the most significant to you? Why?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)