|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom did Sir Hamilton Gibb say at in his obituary notice in 1962, he "never ceased to seek out in later Islamic literature and devotion" (264)?
2. When was the Balfour Declaration announced?
3. What did the Marquis de Vogue's work center on?
4. When was The Romantic Agony published?
5. Who wrote A Passage to India?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who wrote A Biological View of Our Foreign Policy? What is entailed in this book?
2. How many books were written between 1800 and 1950 regarding the Orient? What does the author assert about these works in Chapter 3?
3. Who wrote Islam and Capitalism and how did this work differ from those of the earlier Orientalists?
4. What led up to the Yom Kippur War?
5. Who was William Muir? What were his contributions to Orientalism?
6. What is significant about depictions of the Arab Muslim following World War II?
7. What impact did the 1973 oil crisis have on Western perceptions of the East?
8. What were the differences between the pilgrimages to the Orient by Chateaubriand and others such as Flaubert, Vigny, Nerval and others?
9. How did Hurgronje perceive Islamic Law?
10. The author states that the primitiveness of Arab society exists simultaneously on at least two levels. What are these levels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life and works of Silvestre de Sacy. Why was Sacy considered to be the founder of modern Orientalism? Where was Sacy educated? How did his three-volume compendum on Orientalism influence the field?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss France's expansion during the European colonial period. What countries or regions did France gain control over? Why was France not as successful as Great Britain in securing colonies in the Orient?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impacts of the Council of Vienne in 1312. What was decreed by the council? How did the Council of Vienne establish Orientalism as an academic discipline? Where were programs in Orientalism established?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)