|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Arab oil boycott take place historically?
2. When was the essay "L'Occident devant l"orient: Primaute d'une Solution Culturelle" published?
3. When did Morroe Berger publish a report "Middle Eastern and North African Studies: Developments and Needs"?
4. Who wrote and published Islam and Capitalism in 1966?
5. Who authored Seven Pillars of Wisdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Hafiz and how are his works regarded in Orientalism?
2. How did Nietzsche describe the truth of language, as cited in Chapter 3?
3. Who was William Muir? What were his contributions to Orientalism?
4. Who wrote The Struggle for Existence in Human Society? When was it written and what was detailed in the book?
5. What is significant about depictions of the Arab Muslim following World War II?
6. Who was Robert Knox and why does the author discuss him in Chapter 3?
7. What can be seen in the works Mimesis and Philolog by Erich Auerbach, according to the author in Chapter 3?
8. The author states that the primitiveness of Arab society exists simultaneously on at least two levels. What are these levels?
9. How does the author describe the "over-value" of the Orient and the subsequent backlash in Chapter 2 (150)?
10. How did Wilhelm Dilthey's ideas influence Orientalism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of Napoleon's campaign in Egypt and Syria. What was the outcome of the campaign? What is the significance of the discovery of the Rosetta stone? How did Napoleon's campaign influence interest in the Orient in France?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss "the Orient" as it applies to the history of Orientalism. What region(s) does the Orient encompass? What different languages and cultures can be found within this span? What religions pervade in the Orient?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the study of philology as applied to Orientalism. Why were most eighteenth century Orientalists founded in the study of philology? How has the lack of philological studies in the U.S. impacted modern Orientalism?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)