|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the painter Ludovic Lepic comment "L'Orient est mort au Caire" (170)?
2. Over what years were the volumes of William Muir's Life of Mahomet published?
3. Who authored The Biology of British Politics in 1904?
4. Who is credited with the following quote in Chapter 3: "How many thousand years this state of things has lasted [namely, that Arabs livei in a 'state of war'], those who shall read the earlist recores of the desert will tell us..." (229)?
5. When was The Struggle for Existence in Human Society published?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Edward Said compare Orientalism to a political doctrine in Chapter 3?
2. What were the Crusades? When did they occur?
3. What is significant about depictions of the Arab Muslim following World War II?
4. Howd does the author compare the worsk of Renan and Sacy in Chapter 2: Orientalist Structures and Restructures, Part III: Oriental Residence and Scholarship: The Requirements of Lexicography and Imagination?
5. What can be seen in the works Mimesis and Philolog by Erich Auerbach, according to the author in Chapter 3?
6. Who wrote Le Regne Animal and how was this work connected to Orientalism?
7. What led up to the Yom Kippur War?
8. Who wrote "The White Man's Burden" and why does the author discuss this work in Chapter 3?
9. Who was Hafiz and how are his works regarded in Orientalism?
10. What are the "unsettling influences" that every Western traveler or resident of the Orient had to protect himself from, according to the author in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Arthur James Balfour's role in Orientalist history. What position did Balfour hold politically in Great Britain? What criticism did Balfour encounter in the later stages of the Boer War? What policies did Balfour present regarding the Orient?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Great Britain's history in the Middle East and Far East historically. When did the period of British colonialism begin? When did it end? What countries or regions were under British control? How did these areas gain independence?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss "the Orient" as it applies to the history of Orientalism. What region(s) does the Orient encompass? What different languages and cultures can be found within this span? What religions pervade in the Orient?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)