|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Ideen zur Philosophie der Geschichte der Menschheit?
2. Who is cited in Chapter 2 as having "said of Sacy's work that it reconciled the manner of a scientist with that of a Biblical teacher, and that Sacy was the one man able to reconcile 'the goals of Liebniz with the efforts of Bossuet'" (124)?
3. How old was Silvestre de Sacy when he replaced Dacier as secretary of the Academie des Inscriptions?
4. When did the Second Boer War begin?
5. Who is the author of An Account of the Manners and Customs of the Modern Egyptians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Sir William Jones and what was his contribution to Orientalism?
2. What different fields within the umbrella of Orientalism does the author describe in Chapter 1: The Scope of Orientalism, Part II: Imaginative Geography and Its Representations: Orientalizing the Oriental?
3. How does the author define Orientalism?
4. What are the two traits that the author describes Orientalism carrying forward from the outset in Chapter 1: The Scope of Orientalism, Part IV: Crisis?
5. What is the importance of "Tableau historique," according to the author (127)?
6. What is noted about Henry Kissinger's views on public policy in the book?
7. What was Ernest Renan's background and education?
8. What is described in the quote from Edward William Lane's An Accound of the Manners and Customs of the Modern Egyptians that opens Chapter 2?
9. How was Islam perceived by the Orientalists over time, according to the author Chapter 1: The Scope of Orientalism, Part II: Imaginative Geography and Its Representations: Orientalizing the Oriental?
10. Who was Anwar Abdel-Malek? What were his contributions to the study of the Orient?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Julius von Mohl's work in Orientalism? With whom did Mohl study? What did Mohl teach at the College de France? What were his major written works?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss "the Orient" as it applies to the history of Orientalism. What region(s) does the Orient encompass? What different languages and cultures can be found within this span? What religions pervade in the Orient?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact of Napoleon's campaign in Egypt and Syria. What was the outcome of the campaign? What is the significance of the discovery of the Rosetta stone? How did Napoleon's campaign influence interest in the Orient in France?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)