|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote History of the Saracens?
2. When did Lord Cromer publish an article in the Edinburgh Review referring to Orientals as "subject races" (36)?
3. Who is cited in Chapter 1 as having said, "Suddenly it seemed to a wide variety of thinkers, politicians, and artists that a new awareness of the Orient, which extended from China to the Mediterranean, had arisen" (42)?
4. When did the Hayter Report appear?
5. When was Silvestre de Sacy born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Bouvard and Pecuchet?
2. When did the Council of Vienne take place? What was its impact on Orientalism?
3. How did perceptions of the Orient differ between the Renaissance and the eighteenth century?
4. Who was Arthur James Balfour and what role did he play in the British government?
5. Who was Anwar Abdel-Malek? What were his contributions to the study of the Orient?
6. Who was Abraham-Hyacinthe Anquetil-Duperron and what was his contribution to Orientalism?
7. Who was George Sale and what contribution did he make to Orientalism?
8. What are the two traits that the author describes Orientalism carrying forward from the outset in Chapter 1: The Scope of Orientalism, Part IV: Crisis?
9. What was Ernest Renan's background and education?
10. What was Lord Cromer's association with Egypt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define Orientalism and Occidentalism as used by Edward Said in his book Orientalism. How do the studies and fields within these subjects differ? Is Orientalism to be commended historically? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Lord Cromer's book Modern Egypt and its impacts on Orientalism. What theories and ideas Did Cromer present in the book? How would you characterize his depictions of Egyptian culture, language, and religion?
Essay Topic 3
How has Islam been perceived largely in Orientalist history? In what ways is Islam compared with Christianity? How have perceptions of Islam evolved over time in the West?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)