|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the poem "Mahomets Gesang"?
2. Who wrote Bibliotheque Orientale?
3. When did Napoleon invade Egypt?
4. Who coined the phrase "les bourgeois conquerants"?
5. When was L'Avenir de la Science written?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Abraham-Hyacinthe Anquetil-Duperron and what was his contribution to Orientalism?
2. Who are Bouvard and Pecuchet?
3. How does the author define Orientalism?
4. What is the difference between the processes and ideas of Silvestre de Sacy and those of Ernest Renan?
5. What is described in the quote from Edward William Lane's An Accound of the Manners and Customs of the Modern Egyptians that opens Chapter 2?
6. What different fields within the umbrella of Orientalism does the author describe in Chapter 1: The Scope of Orientalism, Part II: Imaginative Geography and Its Representations: Orientalizing the Oriental?
7. What are the two situations that favor a textual attitude toward the Orient, according to the author in Chapter 1: The Scope of Orientalism, Part IV: Crisis?
8. What works did Friedrich Schlegel produce? What was his association with Orientalism?
9. How does Edward Said describe Silvestre de Sacy's writing style?
10. Who was Sir William Jones and what was his contribution to Orientalism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has Islam been perceived largely in Orientalist history? In what ways is Islam compared with Christianity? How have perceptions of Islam evolved over time in the West?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ernest Renan's role in the evolution of Orientalism. What was the basis of Renan's studies in the East? In what ways did Renan adapt the study of Orientalism? What were the structures and foundations he established within the field?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss R. W. Smith's impacts on Orientalism. How did Smith perceive the West's opinions and depictions of Muslim countries, cultures, and people? What were Smith's written contributions that are discussed in the book?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)