|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of Muhammedanisches Recht?
(a) Henri Baudet.
(b) Claude Levi-Strauss.
(c) Eduard Sachau.
(d) Henry Thomas Colebrooke.
2. Who is credited with the following quote in Chapter 3: "How many thousand years this state of things has lasted [namely, that Arabs livei in a 'state of war'], those who shall read the earlist recores of the desert will tell us..." (229)?
(a) V. W. Richards.
(b) E. M. Forster.
(c) Gertrude Bell.
(d) Henri Baudet.
3. When were the three volumes of Caussin de Perceval's Essai sur l'Historie des Arabes avant l"Islamisme, Pendant l"Epoque de Mahomet published?
4. When was the National Defense Education Act established that linked the Social Science Research Council and Middle Eastern Studies?
5. When was The Romantic Agony published?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was William Muir's The Caliphate, Its Rise, Decline and Fall published?
2. Who rote The Romantic Agony?
3. Who wrote Itineraire de Paris a Jerusalem, et de Jerusalem a Paris in 1810-1811?
4. Who is the author of Social Evolution, published in 1894?
5. What term refers to Islamic mysticism or the inward dimension of Islam?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hurgronje perceive Islamic Law?
2. Who was William Muir? What were his contributions to Orientalism?
3. Who was Hafiz and how are his works regarded in Orientalism?
4. What impact did the 1973 oil crisis have on Western perceptions of the East?
5. What led up to the Yom Kippur War?
6. The author states that the primitiveness of Arab society exists simultaneously on at least two levels. What are these levels?
7. How did Wilhelm Dilthey's ideas influence Orientalism?
8. How did Nietzsche describe the truth of language, as cited in Chapter 3?
9. Who was Robert Knox and why does the author discuss him in Chapter 3?
10. Who was Gustave E. von Grunebaum and what works did he contribute to Orientalism?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)