|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was William Muir born?
2. In what year does the author describe the costume for Princeton's tenth-reunion class having been an Arab in Chapter 3?
3. What term used in the book refers to the exercise of absolute power, particularly in a cruel and oppressive way?
4. Over what period of time was Leopold von Ranke's Weltgeschichte published?
5. Who wrote the poem "Giaour"?
(b) Percy Shelley.
(d) Lord Byron.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Mimesis and Philogog?
2. Who is the author of Social Evolution, published in 1894?
3. Who is cited in Chapter 3 as having said, "... truths are illusions about which one has forgotten that this is what they are" (203)?
4. What poem by Goethe is quoted and described by the author as identifying the Orient as "a place of original opportunity" in Chapter 2?
5. Who wrote Le Regne Animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Nietzsche describe the truth of language, as cited in Chapter 3?
2. Who wrote "The White Man's Burden" and why does the author discuss this work in Chapter 3?
3. In what way does Edward Said compare Orientalism to a political doctrine in Chapter 3?
4. What were the differences between the pilgrimages to the Orient by Chateaubriand and others such as Flaubert, Vigny, Nerval and others?
5. What can be seen in the works Mimesis and Philolog by Erich Auerbach, according to the author in Chapter 3?
6. Who was Reinhart Dozy and what were his contributions to Orientalism?
7. Who was Hafiz and how are his works regarded in Orientalism?
8. What were the Crusades? When did they occur?
9. What is significant about depictions of the Arab Muslim following World War II?
10. Who wrote Le Regne Animal and how was this work connected to Orientalism?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)