|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote Uber die Sprache und Weishelt der Indier?
(a) Julius Mohl.
(b) Claude Levi-Strauss.
(c) Edward Gibbon.
(d) Friedrich Schlegel.
2. During what years did the Napoleonic expedition take place?
3. When was the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts Society founded?
4. Who coined the phrase "les bourgeois conquerants"?
(a) Henry Thomas Colebrooke.
(b) Edward William Lane.
(c) Charles Wilkins.
(d) Charles Moraze.
5. When was the Royal Asiatic Society founded?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire?
2. What term refers to the study of language in written historical sources?
3. Who is cited in Chapter 1 as having said, "Suddenly it seemed to a wide variety of thinkers, politicians, and artists that a new awareness of the Orient, which extended from China to the Mediterranean, had arisen" (42)?
4. Who "were able intelligibly to reveal the extraordinary riches of Avestan and Sanskrit," according to the author in Chapter 1 (51)?
5. Who called the spiritual and intellectual project of the eighteenth century a reconstituted theology or "natural supernaturalism" (114)?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Egypt considered a valuable land to rule over to the Europeans?
2. What is the difference between the processes and ideas of Silvestre de Sacy and those of Ernest Renan?
3. What is the importance of "Tableau historique," according to the author (127)?
4. What was Lord Cromer's association with Egypt?
5. How does the author describe the proximity of Islam to Christianity in Chapter 1: The Scope of Orientalism, Part III: Projects?
6. How does Edward Said describe Silvestre de Sacy's writing style?
7. How does the author define Orientalism?
8. What works did Friedrich Schlegel produce? What was his association with Orientalism?
9. Who was Ferdinand de Lesseps and how did he contribute to Orientalism?
10. What was Ernest Renan's background and education?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)