|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author notes that almost without exception, every Orientalist began his career as what?
(a) A philologist.
(b) A biologist.
(c) An epidemiologist.
(d) An Occidentalist.
2. Who wrote Le Genie des Religions?
(a) Julius Mohl.
(b) Edgar Quinet.
(c) Gaston Bachelard.
(d) Henri Baudet.
3. Who is cited as having said in 1881, "When you have got a ... faithful ally who is bent on meddling in a country in which you are deeply interested--you have three courses open to you" (41)?
(a) Henry Kissinger.
(b) Lord Salisbury.
(c) Edgar Quinet.
(d) Sir Alfred Lyall.
4. When did the first volume of History of the Saracens appear?
5. When did the Second Boer War begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Institut de France "commissioned by Napoleon to form a tableau generale on the state and progress of the arts and sciences since 1789" (126)?
2. Who stated that "Despite the distraction of a great many vague desires, impulses, and images, the mind seems persistenly to formulate ... a science of the concrete" (53)?
3. Who wrote the poem "Mahomets Gesang"?
4. When was Abraham-Hyacinthe Anquetil-Duperron born?
5. Who wrote Historie des Orientalistes de 'Europe du XII au XIX?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did Julius Mohl play in the development of Orientalism?
2. What are the two traits that the author describes Orientalism carrying forward from the outset in Chapter 1: The Scope of Orientalism, Part IV: Crisis?
3. Who was Ferdinand de Lesseps and how did he contribute to Orientalism?
4. How did the emergence of Occidentalism affect Orientalism?
5. Who was Arthur James Balfour and what role did he play in the British government?
6. What was Ernest Renan's background and education?
7. What was Lord Cromer's association with Egypt?
8. What societies for Orientalism emerged in the nineteenth century?
9. When did the Council of Vienne take place? What was its impact on Orientalism?
10. Who was Abraham-Hyacinthe Anquetil-Duperron and what was his contribution to Orientalism?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)