|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author notes in Chapter 1 that from 1815 to 1914 European direct colonial dominion expanded from about 35% of the earth's surface to what percent?
2. What character from The Bacchae does the author describe as "explicitly connected with his Asian origins and with the strangely threatening excesses of Oriental mysteries" (56)?
3. When did the Second Boer War begin?
4. Who wrote History of the Saracens?
(a) Gaston Bachelard.
(b) Julius Mohl.
(c) Henri Baudet.
(d) Simon Ockley.
5. How much money was Lord Cromer given on July 30, 1907 as a retirement prize for what he had done in Egypt?
(a) 30,000 pounds.
(b) 100,000 pounds.
(c) 50,000 pounds.
(d) 20,000 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the four elements described by the author that established eighteenth century thought on the structures on which modern Orientalism depend?
2. When was the American Oriental Society founded?
3. What book was Flaubert writing when he died that was "a comic encyclopedic novel on the degeneration of knowledge and the inanity of human effort" (113)?
4. What does the French term "idee recue" translate to in English (94)?
5. When was the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge founded?
Short Essay Questions
1. What different fields within the umbrella of Orientalism does the author describe in Chapter 1: The Scope of Orientalism, Part II: Imaginative Geography and Its Representations: Orientalizing the Oriental?
2. What are the two traits that the author describes Orientalism carrying forward from the outset in Chapter 1: The Scope of Orientalism, Part IV: Crisis?
3. How did the emergence of Occidentalism affect Orientalism?
4. When was the height of British colonialism? What areas were occupied by Britain?
5. How does the author define Orientalism?
6. How was Islam perceived by the Orientalists over time, according to the author Chapter 1: The Scope of Orientalism, Part II: Imaginative Geography and Its Representations: Orientalizing the Oriental?
7. What is the difference between the processes and ideas of Silvestre de Sacy and those of Ernest Renan?
8. How did perceptions of the Orient differ between the Renaissance and the eighteenth century?
9. When did the Council of Vienne take place? What was its impact on Orientalism?
10. Who are Bouvard and Pecuchet?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)