|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote Ideen zur Philosophie der Geschichte der Menschheit?
(a) Charles Wilkins.
(b) Johann Gottfried Herders.
(c) Henry Thomas Colebrooke.
(d) Edward William Lane.
2. When does the author describe Renan's linguistic investigations of Semitic taking place in Chapter 1?
3. Who is the author of An Account of the Manners and Customs of the Modern Egyptians?
(a) Henry Thomas Colebrooke.
(b) Edward William Lane.
(c) Julius Mohl.
(d) Charles Wilkins.
4. Approximately when was the Iliad written?
(a) 898-760 BC.
(b) 900-800 BC.
(c) 760-710 BC.
(d) 559-500 BC.
5. When did Arthur James Balfour lecture the House of Commons on "the problems with which we have to deal in Egypt" (31)?
(a) September 2, 1908.
(b) April 25, 1901.
(c) June 13, 1910.
(d) March 12, 1919.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who referred to the "militant" Orient as "the Asiatic tidal wave" (75)?
2. When was Volney's Considerations sur la Guerre Actuel de Turcs written?
3. Who wrote The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire?
4. Who invented for himself the name of "stud. philol." in 1777 (131)?
5. Who was the founder of the Royal Asiatic Society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the processes and ideas of Silvestre de Sacy and those of Ernest Renan?
2. How did the emergence of Occidentalism affect Orientalism?
3. How does Edward Said describe Silvestre de Sacy's writing style?
4. How does the author define Orientalism?
5. What are the two situations that favor a textual attitude toward the Orient, according to the author in Chapter 1: The Scope of Orientalism, Part IV: Crisis?
6. What are the two traits that the author describes Orientalism carrying forward from the outset in Chapter 1: The Scope of Orientalism, Part IV: Crisis?
7. What different fields within the umbrella of Orientalism does the author describe in Chapter 1: The Scope of Orientalism, Part II: Imaginative Geography and Its Representations: Orientalizing the Oriental?
8. What is noted about Henry Kissinger's views on public policy in the book?
9. What is the importance of "Tableau historique," according to the author (127)?
10. What role did Julius Mohl play in the development of Orientalism?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)