|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Ernest Renan born?
2. What book was Flaubert writing when he died that was "a comic encyclopedic novel on the degeneration of knowledge and the inanity of human effort" (113)?
(a) The Search for Cultural Identity.
(b) Madame Bovary.
(c) Bouvard et Pecuchet.
(d) Encyclopedia of Social Sciences.
3. When was L'Avenir de la Science published?
4. When did the battle of Lepanto take place?
5. When was Silvestre de Sacy born?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte published?
2. Who translated the Koran into English in 1734?
3. Who wrote History of the Saracens?
4. What character from The Bacchae does the author describe as "explicitly connected with his Asian origins and with the strangely threatening excesses of Oriental mysteries" (56)?
5. Who "were able intelligibly to reveal the extraordinary riches of Avestan and Sanskrit," according to the author in Chapter 1 (51)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Silvestre de Sacy's contributions to Orientalism?
2. How did the emergence of Occidentalism affect Orientalism?
3. How does Edward Said describe Silvestre de Sacy's writing style?
4. Who was Arthur James Balfour and what role did he play in the British government?
5. When did the Council of Vienne take place? What was its impact on Orientalism?
6. What works did Friedrich Schlegel produce? What was his association with Orientalism?
7. Who are Bouvard and Pecuchet?
8. What is described in the quote from Edward William Lane's An Accound of the Manners and Customs of the Modern Egyptians that opens Chapter 2?
9. When was the height of British colonialism? What areas were occupied by Britain?
10. What is the importance of "Tableau historique," according to the author (127)?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)