|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: Orientalist Structures and Restructures, Part IV: Pilgrims and Pilgrimages, British and French.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Ernest Renan born?
2. During what years did the Napoleonic expedition take place?
3. When was the British and Foreign Bible Society founded?
4. The author notes in Chapter 1 that from 1815 to 1914 European direct colonial dominion expanded from about 35% of the earth's surface to what percent?
5. Of whom does the author say, "In article after article he returned with increasing conviction to the idea that even in destroying Asia, Britain was making possible there are a real social revolution" (153)?
(a) Henri Baudet.
(b) Julius Mohl.
(c) Edward Gibbon.
(d) Karl Marx.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Bibliotheque Orientale?
2. Who is the author of L'Ame Romantique et le Reve?
3. The author asserts in Chapter 2, "The difference between Sacy and Renan is the difference between inauguration and" what (130)?
4. When was the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge founded?
5. When did the French occupy Algiers?
This section contains 156 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)