|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: Orientalist Structures and Restructures, Part II: Silvestre de Sacy and Ernest Renan: Rational Anthropology and Philogical Laboratory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stated that "Despite the distraction of a great many vague desires, impulses, and images, the mind seems persistenly to formulate ... a science of the concrete" (53)?
(a) Edgar Quinet.
(b) Claude Levi-Strauss.
(c) Gustave Dugat.
(d) Claude Levi-Strauss.
2. Who is cited as having said in 1881, "When you have got a ... faithful ally who is bent on meddling in a country in which you are deeply interested--you have three courses open to you" (41)?
(a) Henry Kissinger.
(b) Edgar Quinet.
(c) Sir Alfred Lyall.
(d) Lord Salisbury.
3. When was Ernest Renan born?
4. Approximately when was the Iliad written?
(a) 898-760 BC.
(b) 760-710 BC.
(c) 559-500 BC.
(d) 900-800 BC.
5. Who wrote Candide?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the novel Louis Lambert?
2. What does the French term "idee recue" translate to in English (94)?
3. The author cites Lord Cromer in Chapter 1, saying that "the real future of Egypt ... lies not in the direction of a narrow nationalism, which will only embrace native Egyptians... but rather in that of" what (37)?
4. When did the Hayter Report appear?
5. When was the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge founded?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)