|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: Orientalist Structures and Restructures, Part II: Silvestre de Sacy and Ernest Renan: Rational Anthropology and Philogical Laboratory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Church Council of Vienne establish a series of chairs in "Arabic, Greek, Heber, and Syriac at Paris, Oxford, Bologna, Avignon, and Salamanca" (50)?
2. Who stated that "Despite the distraction of a great many vague desires, impulses, and images, the mind seems persistenly to formulate ... a science of the concrete" (53)?
(a) Gustave Dugat.
(b) Claude Levi-Strauss.
(c) Edgar Quinet.
(d) Claude Levi-Strauss.
3. The author asserts in Chapter 2, "The difference between Sacy and Renan is the difference between inauguration and" what (130)?
4. When was Louis Lambert published?
5. Who wrote the Iliad?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is cited as having said in 1881, "When you have got a ... faithful ally who is bent on meddling in a country in which you are deeply interested--you have three courses open to you" (41)?
2. Who wrote Bibliotheque Orientale?
3. When was the American Oriental Society founded?
4. Who wrote the poem "Mahomets Gesang"?
5. When did Silvestre de Sacy write Principes de Grammaire Generale?
This section contains 181 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)