|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: Orientalist Structures and Restructures, Part II: Silvestre de Sacy and Ernest Renan: Rational Anthropology and Philogical Laboratory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote Voyage en Orient?
(b) Gerard de Nerval.
(c) Claude Levi-Strauss.
(d) Raymond Schwab.
2. When was Volney's Considerations sur la Guerre Actuel de Turcs written?
3. Who was the founder of the Royal Asiatic Society?
(a) Julius Mohl.
(b) Henri Baudet.
(c) Henry Thomas Colebrooke.
(d) Gaston Bachelard.
4. When did the Church Council of Vienne establish a series of chairs in "Arabic, Greek, Heber, and Syriac at Paris, Oxford, Bologna, Avignon, and Salamanca" (50)?
5. The author notes that almost without exception, every Orientalist began his career as what?
(a) A biologist.
(b) An epidemiologist.
(c) An Occidentalist.
(d) A philologist.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states in Chapter 1, "By and large, until the mid-eighteenth century Orientalists were" what (51)?
2. When was the American Oriental Society founded?
3. When did Arthur James Balfour lecture the House of Commons on "the problems with which we have to deal in Egypt" (31)?
4. When was the Royal Asiatic Society founded?
5. When did the first volume of History of the Saracens appear?
This section contains 160 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)