|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1: The Scope of Orientalism, Part III: Projects.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author asserts in Chapter 1, "Orientalism is better grasped as a set of constraints upon and limitations of thought than it is simply as" what (42)?
(a) "A negative doctrine."
(b) "A positive doctrine."
(c) "An anthropological endeavor."
(d) "An anti-Semitic rhetoric."
2. Who is cited in Lord Cromer's book Modern Egypt as having said "Accuracy is abhorrent to the Oriental Mind" (38)?
(a) Lord Salisbury.
(b) Sir Alfred Lyall.
(c) Edgar Quinet.
(d) Henry Kissinger.
3. When was the Royal Asiatic Society founded?
4. What term refers to the study of language in written historical sources?
5. When did the Second Boer War begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who referred to the "militant" Orient as "the Asiatic tidal wave" (75)?
2. Who wrote The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire?
3. Who is cited as having said in 1881, "When you have got a ... faithful ally who is bent on meddling in a country in which you are deeply interested--you have three courses open to you" (41)?
4. Who wrote Le Genie des Religions?
5. What American diplomat and political scientist does the author discuss in Chapter 1 that wrote the essay "Domestic Structure and Foreign Policy"?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)