|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1: The Scope of Orientalism, Part III: Projects.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote The Bacchae?
2. When was William Whiston expelled from Cambridge for his Islamic enthusiasm?
3. Who wrote Bibliotheque Orientale?
(a) Julius Mohl.
(b) Henri Baudet.
(c) Barthelemy d'Herbelot.
(d) Gaston Bachelard.
4. Approximately when was the Iliad written?
(a) 760-710 BC.
(b) 898-760 BC.
(c) 900-800 BC.
(d) 559-500 BC.
5. The author asserts in Chapter 1, "Orientalism is better grasped as a set of constraints upon and limitations of thought than it is simply as" what (42)?
(a) "A positive doctrine."
(b) "A negative doctrine."
(c) "An anti-Semitic rhetoric."
(d) "An anthropological endeavor."
Short Answer Questions
1. What American diplomat and political scientist does the author discuss in Chapter 1 that wrote the essay "Domestic Structure and Foreign Policy"?
2. Who was the first East India Company official who mastered Sanskrit and began to translate the Institutes of Manu?
3. When did the Church Council of Vienne establish a series of chairs in "Arabic, Greek, Heber, and Syriac at Paris, Oxford, Bologna, Avignon, and Salamanca" (50)?
4. Who wrote The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire?
5. Who wrote History of the Saracens?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)