|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: Orientalist Structures and Restructures, Part III: Oriental Residence and Scholarship: The Requirements of Lexicography and Imagination.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of whom does the author say, "In article after article he returned with increasing conviction to the idea that even in destroying Asia, Britain was making possible there are a real social revolution" (153)?
(a) Julius Mohl.
(b) Henri Baudet.
(c) Edward Gibbon.
(d) Karl Marx.
2. Silvestre de Sacy's family were adherents to what Catholic theological movement?
3. Who wrote The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire?
(a) Gaston Bachelard.
(b) Edward Gibbon.
(c) Julius Mohl.
(d) Henri Baudet.
4. When was Reinhard Dozy born?
5. In an excerpt from Renan's writing in Chapter 2, Renan states, "One sees that in all things the Semitic race appears to us to be an incomplete race, by virtue of its" what (149)?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote History of the Saracens?
2. Who said that "the Orient advances, invincible, fatal to the gods of light by the charm of its dreams, by the magic of its chiaroscuro" (73)?
3. When was The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte published?
4. When did the Church Council of Vienne establish a series of chairs in "Arabic, Greek, Heber, and Syriac at Paris, Oxford, Bologna, Avignon, and Salamanca" (50)?
5. Approximately when was the Iliad written?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)