|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: Orientalist Structures and Restructures, Part III: Oriental Residence and Scholarship: The Requirements of Lexicography and Imagination.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote Bibliotheque Orientale?
(a) Barthelemy d'Herbelot.
(b) Gaston Bachelard.
(c) Henri Baudet.
(d) Julius Mohl.
2. When was the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge founded?
3. During what years did a group of Japanese Christians throw out the Portuguese from the area?
4. Who wrote Historie des Orientalistes de 'Europe du XII au XIX?
(a) Gustave Dugat.
(b) Claude Levi-Strauss.
(c) Gaston Bachelard.
(d) Edgar Quinet.
5. Who "were able intelligibly to reveal the extraordinary riches of Avestan and Sanskrit," according to the author in Chapter 1 (51)?
(a) Sir Alfred Lyall and Edgar Quinet.
(b) Lord Salisbury and Sir Alfred Lyall.
(c) Sir William Jones and Lord Salisbury.
(d) Anquetil-Duperron and Sir William Jones.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was William Muir's The Caliphate, Its Rise, Decline and Fall published?
2. When was Louis Lambert published?
3. Who wrote The Persians, which is the earliest Athenian play extant?
4. Who wrote the novel Louis Lambert?
5. Who wrote the two-volume logbook titled Ving-sept Ans d'Historie des Etudes Orientales?
This section contains 170 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)