|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of event does Conrad attend with former team mates in chapter 22?
2. What do Conrad and Jeanine eat on their date?
3. What types of feelings do Conrad and Jeanine share during their low point in life?
4. Who is rude to Conrad on the phone during his first phone call?
5. When Conrad goes to visit a friend in the epilogue, where do they go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Conrad want to call Karen?
2. Why does Beth behave the way she does at dinner in chapter 29?
3. Describe the trip that Cal and Beth took to Spain.
4. Why is Conrad so upset that he got in a fight?
5. Describe the progression of Jeanine and Conrad's relationship to chapter 30.
6. Why does Conrad visit Joe Lazenby in the Epilogue?
7. How does Conrad receive reassurance from Cal?
8. Why is Jeanine upset about her mom's guest?
9. What do Conrad and Jeanine believe is the reason they got better?
10. Why will Beth never forgive Conrad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cal and Conrad grow progressively closer throughout the novel. What are the steps in the development of their relationship? What is their relationship like at the end of the novel and why?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze cause and effect in the novel. For example, Karen's death causes Conrad to have an emotional breakthrough. Analyze at least three different causes and effects in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Which items in the novel are symbols? Consider Jordan's death, the mental hospital, Conrad's bumper stickers, and the swim team in your analysis.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)