|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long do Cal and Beth fight when they both get back from the trip?
2. What is the name of Beth's brother?
3. Why did Jeanine's parents divorce?
4. When do Conrad and Jeanine agree to go out again?
5. Who was with Jordan when the boat accident occurred?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Conrad angry at Jordan?
2. When Cal and Beth are in Texas, why doesn't Beth discuss Conrad with her family?
3. Why is Jeanine upset about her mom's guest?
4. How has Conrad starting working to achieve his goals?
5. Why does Conrad confront Cal about in chapter 31?
6. Describe the trip that Cal and Beth took to Spain.
7. When and why did Arnold stop mentoring Cal?
8. How does Conrad prove that he is strong in chapter 24?
9. Why doesn't Beth say goodbye to Conrad when she leaves?
10. What are Cal's hopes for his vacation with Beth in Texas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cal and Conrad grow progressively closer throughout the novel. What are the steps in the development of their relationship? What is their relationship like at the end of the novel and why?
Essay Topic 2
Beth is a perfectionist, and Conrad is afraid to make mistakes. Describe the ways in which perfection is a major theme in the novel. Which characters strive for perfection? How does it affect their life and character development?
Essay Topic 3
What is the lowest point of Conrad's life in the novel? What is the highest point? Provide evidence from the novel to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)