|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Beth leave without saying goodbye to?
2. In chapter 19, Cal realizes that he worries about Conrad for what reason?
3. What does Beth decide to do in chapter 31?
4. What is Conrad's first final in chapter 18?
5. What launches Conrad's introspection in chapter 27?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conrad makes an appointment with Dr. Berger to continue treatment when he leaves the mental hospital. What role does Dr. Berger continue to play in Conrad's life? How does he help Conrad progress?
Essay Topic 2
What role does Karen's death play in Conrad's life? How is Karen's death significant to the progression of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Conrad has a flashback to Jordan's death after he reads about Karen's death. Why does the author include a flashback? Does it elicit a more emotional response from the reader than merely providing back story? Why or why not?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)