|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Cal talks to Conrad about the fight, what puzzles Cal?
2. What does Conrad get from Cal after they talk about the fight?
3. What do Conrad and Jeanine discuss on their date?
4. How many fights has Conrad been in before?
5. When do Conrad and Jeanine agree to go out again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the trip that Cal and Beth took to Spain.
2. Why doesn't Beth say goodbye to Conrad when she leaves?
3. Why does Conrad visit Joe Lazenby in the Epilogue?
4. Why is Jeanine upset about her mom's guest?
5. Why does Conrad feel vulnerable after Karen's suicide?
6. What does Karen's death force Conrad to do?
7. What does Beth do in chapter 23 to disturb Cal?
8. Why is Conrad so upset that he got in a fight?
9. Which parent does Conrad fear most?
10. How does Conrad receive reassurance from Cal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conrad feels that he has lost his identity after Jordan dies because he feels as if he needs to make up for the loss of Jordan. How does loss of identity tie into the novel as a theme? Analyze the other characters who have lost their identity.
Essay Topic 2
Conrad is obsessed with not failing. The other characters also have fears. Analyze the fears of three different characters. Why are these fears significant to the progression of the novel? Do their fears become obsessions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Jeanine's character in Conrad's development into a stronger and more independent character? What about the other secondary characters?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)