|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cal's mentor describe Beth?
2. What is the name of Beth's sister-in-law?
3. What is the best way to describe Conrad's depression?
4. What does Conrad feel responsible for?
5. What does Beth think Conrad was trying to do by attempting to commit suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the progression of Jeanine and Conrad's relationship to chapter 30.
2. Describe Conrad's reaction to Karen's death.
3. Why is Cal surprised that Ray knows about his family's problems?
4. Why does Conrad visit Joe Lazenby in the Epilogue?
5. When Cal and Beth are in Texas, why doesn't Beth discuss Conrad with her family?
6. How does Conrad feel after his date with Jeanine?
7. Why is Jeanine upset about her mom's guest?
8. What does Karen's death force Conrad to do?
9. Why doesn't Beth want to see a counselor?
10. Why is Conrad angry at Jordan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the development of the three main characters: Conrad, Beth, and Cal. Compare and contrast each character from the novel's introduction to the epilogue. What changes? What do they learn?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in "Ordinary People" feel guilty. For example, Conrad feels guilty over the death of his brother, Jordan. How is guilt one of the major themes in the novel? What characters experience guilt and why?
Essay Topic 3
How is Conrad introduced? What elements does the author use to make Conrad seem realistic and likable?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)