|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was with Jordan when the boat accident occurred?
2. What do Cal and his partner discuss at work?
3. What launches Conrad's introspection in chapter 27?
4. What comment from Beth causes Cal to drink too much when he is on vacation with Beth?
5. What is a confidence booster for Conrad in chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Conrad so upset that he got in a fight?
2. When and why did Arnold stop mentoring Cal?
3. Describe the progression of Jeanine and Conrad's relationship to chapter 30.
4. Describe the trip that Cal and Beth took to Spain.
5. Why does Conrad feel vulnerable after Karen's suicide?
6. Why doesn't Beth say goodbye to Conrad when she leaves?
7. What do Conrad and Jeanine believe is the reason they got better?
8. How does Conrad receive reassurance from Cal?
9. When Cal and Beth are in Texas, why doesn't Beth discuss Conrad with her family?
10. Why does Conrad want to call Karen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the lowest point of Conrad's life in the novel? What is the highest point? Provide evidence from the novel to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Conrad makes an appointment with Dr. Berger to continue treatment when he leaves the mental hospital. What role does Dr. Berger continue to play in Conrad's life? How does he help Conrad progress?
Essay Topic 3
Conrad is obsessed with not failing. The other characters also have fears. Analyze the fears of three different characters. Why are these fears significant to the progression of the novel? Do their fears become obsessions? Why or why not?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)