|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Conrad fall asleep after his fight?
2. What does Conrad find when he gets home after his finals?
3. Why does Conrad's therapist say that Conrad pushes himself down?
4. What do Cal and Beth argue about while they are on their trip?
5. When do Conrad and Jeanine agree to go out again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Conrad's reaction to Karen's death.
2. Describe Conrad's first date with Jeanine.
3. What do Conrad and Jeanine believe is the reason they got better?
4. In chapter 19, Cal realizes why he is so worried about Conrad. What does he realize?
5. Why does Conrad confront Cal about in chapter 31?
6. What are Cal's hopes for his vacation with Beth in Texas?
7. Why doesn't Beth want to see a counselor?
8. How does Conrad prove that he is strong in chapter 24?
9. When Cal and Beth are in Texas, why doesn't Beth discuss Conrad with her family?
10. How does Conrad feel after his date with Jeanine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the protagonist of the novel? Who is the antagonist? How do both the protagonist and antagonist of "Ordinary People" contribute to the novel's conflict?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of Jeanine's character in Conrad's development into a stronger and more independent character? What about the other secondary characters?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in "Ordinary People" feel guilty. For example, Conrad feels guilty over the death of his brother, Jordan. How is guilt one of the major themes in the novel? What characters experience guilt and why?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)