|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beth believe that Cal is obsessed with?
2. What is the name of Cal's mentor in school?
3. How does Conrad's relationship with Jeanine appear at the end of the novel?
4. What is the best way to describe Conrad's depression?
5. Why is Conrad so upset after his fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Conrad so upset that he got in a fight?
2. How does Conrad feel after his date with Jeanine?
3. In chapter 19, Cal realizes why he is so worried about Conrad. What does he realize?
4. Describe Conrad's reaction to Karen's death.
5. What does Karen's death force Conrad to do?
6. How does Conrad receive reassurance from Cal?
7. Why does Conrad confront Cal about in chapter 31?
8. What is Conrad's reaction to Beth's behavior at dinner in chapter 29?
9. Why does Beth behave the way she does at dinner in chapter 29?
10. Why will Beth never forgive Conrad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the protagonist of the novel? Who is the antagonist? How do both the protagonist and antagonist of "Ordinary People" contribute to the novel's conflict?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of Jeanine's character in Conrad's development into a stronger and more independent character? What about the other secondary characters?
Essay Topic 3
Beth is a perfectionist, and Conrad is afraid to make mistakes. Describe the ways in which perfection is a major theme in the novel. Which characters strive for perfection? How does it affect their life and character development?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)