|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Beth and Cal take Conrad when they get home from their trip?
2. Which word best describes Beth's behavior toward Conrad after the trip?
3. What is Conrad's response to Beth's behavior when she returns from the trip?
4. What do Cal and Beth argue about while they are on their trip?
5. Who was with Jordan when the boat accident occurred?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Conrad's reaction to Beth's behavior at dinner in chapter 29?
2. Why does Beth behave the way she does at dinner in chapter 29?
3. Describe the progression of Jeanine and Conrad's relationship to chapter 30.
4. Why does Conrad visit Joe Lazenby in the Epilogue?
5. Describe Conrad's first date with Jeanine.
6. Why is Conrad angry at Jordan?
7. How does Conrad prove that he is strong in chapter 24?
8. Why is Jeanine upset about her mom's guest?
9. Why does Conrad confront Cal about in chapter 31?
10. Why is Cal surprised that Ray knows about his family's problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the title "Ordinary People" relevant to the novel's content? Why do you think the novel is called "Ordinary People"?
Essay Topic 2
Which items in the novel are symbols? Consider Jordan's death, the mental hospital, Conrad's bumper stickers, and the swim team in your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Conrad feels that he has lost his identity after Jordan dies because he feels as if he needs to make up for the loss of Jordan. How does loss of identity tie into the novel as a theme? Analyze the other characters who have lost their identity.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)