|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cal's plan when Beth leaves in chapter 31?
2. Who does Conrad get into a physical fight with?
3. What word best describes Jeanine's behavior after her parents got divorced?
4. When Conrad goes to visit a friend in the epilogue, where do they go?
5. Who does Conrad meet in chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beth behave the way she does at dinner in chapter 29?
2. Why does Conrad confront Cal about in chapter 31?
3. Describe Conrad's life at the end of the novel.
4. Why doesn't Beth want to see a counselor?
5. Describe Conrad's first date with Jeanine.
6. How has Conrad starting working to achieve his goals?
7. Why is Jeanine upset about her mom's guest?
8. When Cal and Beth are in Texas, why doesn't Beth discuss Conrad with her family?
9. Describe Conrad's reaction to Karen's death.
10. Which parent does Conrad fear most?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the title "Ordinary People" relevant to the novel's content? Why do you think the novel is called "Ordinary People"?
Essay Topic 2
Beth is a perfectionist, and Conrad is afraid to make mistakes. Describe the ways in which perfection is a major theme in the novel. Which characters strive for perfection? How does it affect their life and character development?
Essay Topic 3
Cal and Conrad grow progressively closer throughout the novel. What are the steps in the development of their relationship? What is their relationship like at the end of the novel and why?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)