|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity do Conrad and Jeanine participate in on their date?
2. Where does Conrad pick up Jeanine for a date in chapter 24?
3. What does Conrad feel responsible for?
4. What does Conrad get from Cal after they talk about the fight?
5. When Conrad goes to visit a friend in the epilogue, where do they go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the trip that Cal and Beth took to Spain.
2. Why is Conrad so upset that he got in a fight?
3. When Cal and Beth are in Texas, why doesn't Beth discuss Conrad with her family?
4. Why does Conrad confront Cal about in chapter 31?
5. Why is Cal surprised that Ray knows about his family's problems?
6. Describe Conrad's life at the end of the novel.
7. Why does Conrad feel vulnerable after Karen's suicide?
8. Describe Conrad's first date with Jeanine.
9. Why will Beth never forgive Conrad?
10. Why is Conrad angry at Jordan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the protagonist of the novel? Who is the antagonist? How do both the protagonist and antagonist of "Ordinary People" contribute to the novel's conflict?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of Jeanine's character in Conrad's development into a stronger and more independent character? What about the other secondary characters?
Essay Topic 3
Conrad has a flashback to Jordan's death after he reads about Karen's death. Why does the author include a flashback? Does it elicit a more emotional response from the reader than merely providing back story? Why or why not?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)