|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Conrad goes to visit a friend in the epilogue, where do they go?
2. What launches Conrad's introspection in chapter 27?
3. Where does Conrad pick up Jeanine for a date in chapter 24?
4. What do Cal and Beth argue about while they are on their trip?
5. What does Jeanine ask questions about in chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Conrad feel after his date with Jeanine?
2. Describe Conrad's reaction to Karen's death.
3. Why doesn't Beth want to see a counselor?
4. Why does Conrad feel vulnerable after Karen's suicide?
5. Describe Conrad's life at the end of the novel.
6. How does Conrad prove that he is strong in chapter 24?
7. Why is Conrad so upset that he got in a fight?
8. Why does Conrad confront Cal about in chapter 31?
9. What do Conrad and Jeanine believe is the reason they got better?
10. Why is Conrad angry at Jordan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which items in the novel are symbols? Consider Jordan's death, the mental hospital, Conrad's bumper stickers, and the swim team in your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Beth is a perfectionist, and Conrad is afraid to make mistakes. Describe the ways in which perfection is a major theme in the novel. Which characters strive for perfection? How does it affect their life and character development?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Jeanine's character in Conrad's development into a stronger and more independent character? What about the other secondary characters?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)