|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Cal and Beth go when Conrad was in the hospital?
2. What emotion do Jeanine and Conrad share?
3. What is Conrad's first final in chapter 18?
4. How does Conrad find out about Karen's death?
5. How does Jeanine feel about Conrad's suicide attempt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Conrad's life at the end of the novel.
2. Which parent does Conrad fear most?
3. Why does Beth behave the way she does at dinner in chapter 29?
4. Why doesn't Beth want to see a counselor?
5. What does Karen's death force Conrad to do?
6. In chapter 19, Cal realizes why he is so worried about Conrad. What does he realize?
7. When and why did Arnold stop mentoring Cal?
8. Describe the trip that Cal and Beth took to Spain.
9. What is Conrad's reaction to Beth's behavior at dinner in chapter 29?
10. Why is Jeanine upset about her mom's guest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Jeanine's character in Conrad's development into a stronger and more independent character? What about the other secondary characters?
Essay Topic 2
Cal and Conrad grow progressively closer throughout the novel. What are the steps in the development of their relationship? What is their relationship like at the end of the novel and why?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze cause and effect in the novel. For example, Karen's death causes Conrad to have an emotional breakthrough. Analyze at least three different causes and effects in the novel.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)