|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Conrad's therapist say that Conrad pushes himself down?
2. How does Beth behave toward Conrad when she returns from the trip?
3. What does Cal tell Conrad about the fight he was in?
4. Who is rude to Conrad on the phone during his first phone call?
5. What is Beth doing while Cal talks to Conrad about his fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Conrad's reaction to Karen's death.
2. Why is Jeanine upset about her mom's guest?
3. What are Cal's hopes for his vacation with Beth in Texas?
4. Why does Conrad feel vulnerable after Karen's suicide?
5. When and why did Arnold stop mentoring Cal?
6. Describe Conrad's life at the end of the novel.
7. What do Conrad and Jeanine believe is the reason they got better?
8. Which parent does Conrad fear most?
9. What does Beth do in chapter 23 to disturb Cal?
10. Why does Conrad visit Joe Lazenby in the Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the protagonist of the novel? Who is the antagonist? How do both the protagonist and antagonist of "Ordinary People" contribute to the novel's conflict?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of Jeanine's character in Conrad's development into a stronger and more independent character? What about the other secondary characters?
Essay Topic 3
Conrad makes an appointment with Dr. Berger to continue treatment when he leaves the mental hospital. What role does Dr. Berger continue to play in Conrad's life? How does he help Conrad progress?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)