|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Conrad and Jeanine eat on their date?
2. What is the name of Beth's brother?
3. What does Beth seem to be proving when she gets back from the trip?
4. What launches Conrad's introspection in chapter 27?
5. How does Conrad's relationship with Jeanine appear at the end of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beth do in chapter 23 to disturb Cal?
2. What are Cal's hopes for his vacation with Beth in Texas?
3. How does Conrad feel after his date with Jeanine?
4. Why does Conrad feel vulnerable after Karen's suicide?
5. Which parent does Conrad fear most?
6. In chapter 19, Cal realizes why he is so worried about Conrad. What does he realize?
7. Why does Conrad confront Cal about in chapter 31?
8. Why is Conrad so upset that he got in a fight?
9. Describe the trip that Cal and Beth took to Spain.
10. Why will Beth never forgive Conrad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conrad is obsessed with not failing. The other characters also have fears. Analyze the fears of three different characters. Why are these fears significant to the progression of the novel? Do their fears become obsessions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Conrad feels that he has lost his identity after Jordan dies because he feels as if he needs to make up for the loss of Jordan. How does loss of identity tie into the novel as a theme? Analyze the other characters who have lost their identity.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the focal point changes back and forth from Conrad to Cal. Why does Judith Guest switch back and forth between the two characters? Is this an effective technique used to tell the story?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)