|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Conrad's relationship with Jeanine appear at the end of the novel?
2. What does Conrad get from Cal after they talk about the fight?
3. In what way(s) do Conrad and Jeanine grow closer in chapter 30?
4. For how long do Cal and Beth fight when they both get back from the trip?
5. Which word best describes Beth's behavior toward Conrad after the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Conrad's first date with Jeanine.
2. Why does Conrad feel vulnerable after Karen's suicide?
3. Describe the progression of Jeanine and Conrad's relationship to chapter 30.
4. What do Conrad and Jeanine believe is the reason they got better?
5. When Cal and Beth are in Texas, why doesn't Beth discuss Conrad with her family?
6. Why is Cal surprised that Ray knows about his family's problems?
7. Which parent does Conrad fear most?
8. What is Conrad's reaction to Beth's behavior at dinner in chapter 29?
9. How has Conrad starting working to achieve his goals?
10. Why does Conrad want to call Karen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze cause and effect in the novel. For example, Karen's death causes Conrad to have an emotional breakthrough. Analyze at least three different causes and effects in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The novel's resolution occurs in the epilogue. What is the purpose of the epilogue in the novel? What resolution to the conflict does it offer?
Essay Topic 3
Conrad is obsessed with not failing. The other characters also have fears. Analyze the fears of three different characters. Why are these fears significant to the progression of the novel? Do their fears become obsessions? Why or why not?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)