|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Conrad get from Cal after they talk about the fight?
2. What does Conrad's therapist tell him to do when he goes home after Karen's death?
3. What do Cal and Beth argue about while they are on their trip?
4. Who sends Conrad home after they find him walking the streets at night?
5. What is the name of Cal's partner?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Cal and Beth are in Texas, why doesn't Beth discuss Conrad with her family?
2. Why does Conrad confront Cal about in chapter 31?
3. Why is Cal surprised that Ray knows about his family's problems?
4. Why does Conrad feel vulnerable after Karen's suicide?
5. Describe the progression of Jeanine and Conrad's relationship to chapter 30.
6. When and why did Arnold stop mentoring Cal?
7. Which parent does Conrad fear most?
8. Why does Conrad visit Joe Lazenby in the Epilogue?
9. What are Cal's hopes for his vacation with Beth in Texas?
10. What does Karen's death force Conrad to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the focal point changes back and forth from Conrad to Cal. Why does Judith Guest switch back and forth between the two characters? Is this an effective technique used to tell the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the development of the three main characters: Conrad, Beth, and Cal. Compare and contrast each character from the novel's introduction to the epilogue. What changes? What do they learn?
Essay Topic 3
What role does Karen's death play in Conrad's life? How is Karen's death significant to the progression of the novel?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)