|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Conrad find when he gets home after his finals?
2. In the epilogue, what has Conrad finished doing?
3. Which word best describes Cal's performance in golf?
4. Why does Cal's mentor write him off?
5. What activity does Beth partake in when they are visiting family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Conrad feel vulnerable after Karen's suicide?
2. Why is Jeanine upset about her mom's guest?
3. Describe Conrad's first date with Jeanine.
4. Which parent does Conrad fear most?
5. Why doesn't Beth say goodbye to Conrad when she leaves?
6. What does Karen's death force Conrad to do?
7. Why does Conrad want to call Karen?
8. In chapter 19, Cal realizes why he is so worried about Conrad. What does he realize?
9. Why does Conrad visit Joe Lazenby in the Epilogue?
10. Why will Beth never forgive Conrad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conrad makes an appointment with Dr. Berger to continue treatment when he leaves the mental hospital. What role does Dr. Berger continue to play in Conrad's life? How does he help Conrad progress?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the protagonist of the novel? Who is the antagonist? How do both the protagonist and antagonist of "Ordinary People" contribute to the novel's conflict?
Essay Topic 3
Conrad has a flashback to Jordan's death after he reads about Karen's death. Why does the author include a flashback? Does it elicit a more emotional response from the reader than merely providing back story? Why or why not?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)