|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Conrad's life at the end of the novel?
2. What kind of event does Conrad attend with former team mates in chapter 22?
3. Who does Conrad call second when he gets home from his finals?
4. What does Beth seem to be proving when she gets back from the trip?
5. What word best describes Jeanine's behavior after her parents got divorced?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Conrad visit Joe Lazenby in the Epilogue?
2. Why will Beth never forgive Conrad?
3. Describe the trip that Cal and Beth took to Spain.
4. Why is Jeanine upset about her mom's guest?
5. In chapter 19, Cal realizes why he is so worried about Conrad. What does he realize?
6. When Cal and Beth are in Texas, why doesn't Beth discuss Conrad with her family?
7. Describe Conrad's reaction to Karen's death.
8. What does Karen's death force Conrad to do?
9. Describe Conrad's life at the end of the novel.
10. Describe the progression of Jeanine and Conrad's relationship to chapter 30.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conrad makes an appointment with Dr. Berger to continue treatment when he leaves the mental hospital. What role does Dr. Berger continue to play in Conrad's life? How does he help Conrad progress?
Essay Topic 2
Which items in the novel are symbols? Consider Jordan's death, the mental hospital, Conrad's bumper stickers, and the swim team in your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Conrad is obsessed with not failing. The other characters also have fears. Analyze the fears of three different characters. Why are these fears significant to the progression of the novel? Do their fears become obsessions? Why or why not?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)