|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Karen want to keep in touch with Conrad?
2. What is Cal afraid of after Conrad gets his present?
3. What does Cal believe his role is in the family?
4. What tells Cal that Conrad's suicide attempt was serious?
5. What is Conrad's only escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Conrad to have his first pleasant memory about Jordan?
2. What is Cal's role in his family?
3. What does Conrad use as an excuse to quit the swim team?
4. Describe Conrad's meeting with Karen.
5. Describe Beth's attitude toward Cal and Conrad in chapter 6.
6. What are Conrad's feelings about getting a car for Christmas?
7. Looking at Beth's perfectionist personality, why does Conrad upset her so much?
8. How is Conrad's confidence boosted at the library?
9. Describe Conrad's first appointment with Dr. Berger.
10. Describe the new goals that Conrad sets for himself.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the relationship Cal and Beth have in the beginning of the novel with the relationship they have at the end. How does it change? How does it stay the same?
Essay Topic 2
How is the title "Ordinary People" relevant to the novel's content? Why do you think the novel is called "Ordinary People"?
Essay Topic 3
Conrad is obsessed with not failing. The other characters also have fears. Analyze the fears of three different characters. Why are these fears significant to the progression of the novel? Do their fears become obsessions? Why or why not?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)