Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the therapist say that Conrad needs to forgive?
2. What is the name of Conrad's therapist?
3. Why did Beth never visit Conrad when he was in the hospital?
4. Why doesn't Karen want to keep in touch with Conrad?
5. In chapter 11, who does Beth have lunch with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Conrad prove that he is strong in chapter 24?
2. Describe Conrad's first date with Jeanine.
3. Which parent does Conrad fear most?
4. What are Cal's hopes for his vacation with Beth in Texas?
5. What is Conrad's reaction to Beth's behavior at dinner in chapter 29?
6. What does Conrad prove by making an appointment with Dr. Berger?
7. In chapter 19, Cal realizes why he is so worried about Conrad. What does he realize?
8. In chapter 6, what do Cal and Beth fight about?
9. Why will Beth never forgive Conrad?
10. Describe Conrad's reaction to Karen's death.
Many of the characters in "Ordinary People" feel guilty. For example, Conrad feels guilty over the death of his brother, Jordan. How is guilt one of the major themes in the novel? What characters experience guilt and why?
Beth is a perfectionist, and Conrad is afraid to make mistakes. Describe the ways in which perfection is a major theme in the novel. Which characters strive for perfection? How does it affect their life and character development?
Conrad is obsessed with not failing. The other characters also have fears. Analyze the fears of three different characters. Why are these fears significant to the progression of the novel? Do their fears become obsessions? Why or why not?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)