|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Conrad's therapist?
2. Who does Conrad ride to school with in chapter 3?
3. What is Beth envious of?
4. Who does Conrad tell that he has quit the swim team?
5. Why do Conrad and Karen get together in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Conrad's dream of being confined in a tunnel represent?
2. What causes Conrad to have his first pleasant memory about Jordan?
3. When Beth and Cal attend a dinner party in chapter 8, what does Beth get angry about?
4. How does Conrad feel he has let Beth down?
5. What makes Cal think that Conrad is resuming a regular routine in chapter 1?
6. According to Conrad, how does Beth feel about him?
7. Why doesn't Conrad first reveal that he had a brother to Dr. Berger?
8. Why does Cal want to see Dr. Berger in chapter 17?
9. Describe the new goals that Conrad sets for himself.
10. Why does Conrad have trouble sleeping after his pop quiz in trigonometry class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cal and Conrad grow progressively closer throughout the novel. What are the steps in the development of their relationship? What is their relationship like at the end of the novel and why?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the development of the three main characters: Conrad, Beth, and Cal. Compare and contrast each character from the novel's introduction to the epilogue. What changes? What do they learn?
Essay Topic 3
Which items in the novel are symbols? Consider Jordan's death, the mental hospital, Conrad's bumper stickers, and the swim team in your analysis.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)