|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Conrad feel about Cal's Christmas gift?
2. Where is Conrad complimented?
3. What birthday does Conrad celebrate in chapter 17?
4. Who calls attention to Conrad's issues?
5. Who does Cal have lunch with in chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 6, what do Cal and Beth fight about?
2. How does Conrad feel he has let Beth down?
3. What makes Cal think that Conrad is resuming a regular routine in chapter 1?
4. What are Conrad's feelings about getting a car for Christmas?
5. What causes Conrad to have his first pleasant memory about Jordan?
6. How was attention called to Conrad's issues before he went to the mental hospital?
7. The morning that the novel starts, what things does Conrad wonder?
8. When Beth and Cal attend a dinner party in chapter 8, what does Beth get angry about?
9. Describe Cal's first appointment with Dr. Berger.
10. Why does Conrad have trouble sleeping after his pop quiz in trigonometry class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conrad makes an appointment with Dr. Berger to continue treatment when he leaves the mental hospital. What role does Dr. Berger continue to play in Conrad's life? How does he help Conrad progress?
Essay Topic 2
Conrad feels that he has lost his identity after Jordan dies because he feels as if he needs to make up for the loss of Jordan. How does loss of identity tie into the novel as a theme? Analyze the other characters who have lost their identity.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the development of the three main characters: Conrad, Beth, and Cal. Compare and contrast each character from the novel's introduction to the epilogue. What changes? What do they learn?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)