|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the best word to describe Beth?
2. What birthday does Conrad celebrate in chapter 17?
3. What doctor does Cal decide to see in chapter 17?
4. What is Conrad's excuse for not going with Lazenby?
5. What does Beth complain about in chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the new goals that Conrad sets for himself.
2. What are Conrad's feelings about getting a car for Christmas?
3. Describe Conrad's run-in with Joe Lazenby after Conrad has quit the swim team.
4. What does Conrad use as an excuse to quit the swim team?
5. Why doesn't Conrad first reveal that he had a brother to Dr. Berger?
6. What makes Cal wonder why Conrad would ever want to kill himself?
7. What makes Cal think that Conrad is resuming a regular routine in chapter 1?
8. Why does Cal want to see Dr. Berger in chapter 17?
9. According to Conrad, how does Beth feel about him?
10. Looking at Beth's perfectionist personality, why does Conrad upset her so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conrad has a flashback to Jordan's death after he reads about Karen's death. Why does the author include a flashback? Does it elicit a more emotional response from the reader than merely providing back story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How is Conrad introduced? What elements does the author use to make Conrad seem realistic and likable?
Essay Topic 3
How is the title "Ordinary People" relevant to the novel's content? Why do you think the novel is called "Ordinary People"?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)