|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Conrad's dream, what is he trapped in?
2. What is Conrad's excuse for not going with Lazenby?
3. What midterm does Conrad need to study for in chapter 8?
4. Since Conrad had a dream about being confined, what can he no longer do peacefully?
5. How does Conrad spend his birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Conrad to worry about his ability to survive in chapter 7?
2. Describe Cal's first appointment with Dr. Berger.
3. Looking at Beth's perfectionist personality, why does Conrad upset her so much?
4. According to Conrad, how does Beth feel about him?
5. Describe Conrad's run-in with Joe Lazenby after Conrad has quit the swim team.
6. The morning that the novel starts, what things does Conrad wonder?
7. What are Conrad's feelings about getting a car for Christmas?
8. What does Conrad prove by making an appointment with Dr. Berger?
9. In chapter 14, what does Dr. Berger suggest the real problem is?
10. Why does Cal want to get Conrad a car for Christmas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Jeanine's character in Conrad's development into a stronger and more independent character? What about the other secondary characters?
Essay Topic 2
Which items in the novel are symbols? Consider Jordan's death, the mental hospital, Conrad's bumper stickers, and the swim team in your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Conrad makes an appointment with Dr. Berger to continue treatment when he leaves the mental hospital. What role does Dr. Berger continue to play in Conrad's life? How does he help Conrad progress?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)