|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Conrad believe he has let Beth down?
2. What does Cal reflect on in chapter 6?
3. How does Conrad describe being on the swim team?
4. Who does Conrad talk to about his dream?
5. Where does Conrad's family go for Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Conrad's first appointment with Dr. Berger.
2. How does Conrad feel he has let Beth down?
3. What does Conrad use as an excuse to quit the swim team?
4. Describe Beth's attitude toward Cal and Conrad in chapter 6.
5. What causes Conrad to have his first pleasant memory about Jordan?
6. What causes Conrad to worry about his ability to survive in chapter 7?
7. What does Conrad prove by making an appointment with Dr. Berger?
8. When Beth and Cal attend a dinner party in chapter 8, what does Beth get angry about?
9. What makes Cal think that Conrad is resuming a regular routine in chapter 1?
10. According to Conrad, how does Beth feel about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which items in the novel are symbols? Consider Jordan's death, the mental hospital, Conrad's bumper stickers, and the swim team in your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Cal and Conrad grow progressively closer throughout the novel. What are the steps in the development of their relationship? What is their relationship like at the end of the novel and why?
Essay Topic 3
The novel's resolution occurs in the epilogue. What is the purpose of the epilogue in the novel? What resolution to the conflict does it offer?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)