|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what class does Conrad have a pop quiz?
2. What is Conrad's reaction to hearing his classmates taunt him?
3. What does Cal reflect on in chapter 6?
4. What instrument does Cal play?
5. What does Conrad have trouble remembering?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was attention called to Conrad's issues before he went to the mental hospital?
2. What is Cal's role in his family?
3. The morning that the novel starts, what things does Conrad wonder?
4. Why does Cal want to get Conrad a car for Christmas?
5. Describe Cal's first appointment with Dr. Berger.
6. When Beth and Cal attend a dinner party in chapter 8, what does Beth get angry about?
7. What does Conrad use as an excuse to quit the swim team?
8. Describe Conrad's run-in with Joe Lazenby after Conrad has quit the swim team.
9. What makes Cal think that Conrad is resuming a regular routine in chapter 1?
10. What makes Cal wonder why Conrad would ever want to kill himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conrad feels that he has lost his identity after Jordan dies because he feels as if he needs to make up for the loss of Jordan. How does loss of identity tie into the novel as a theme? Analyze the other characters who have lost their identity.
Essay Topic 2
What role does Karen's death play in Conrad's life? How is Karen's death significant to the progression of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the relationship Cal and Beth have in the beginning of the novel with the relationship they have at the end. How does it change? How does it stay the same?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)