|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lazenby invite Conrad?
2. As of the beginning of the novel, how long has Conrad been out of the hospital?
3. Who does Conrad invite out on a date?
4. Where do Beth and Cal go together in chapter 8?
5. A test in what class upset Conrad the year before?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Cal think that Conrad is resuming a regular routine in chapter 1?
2. Describe Cal's first appointment with Dr. Berger.
3. Describe Conrad's meeting with Karen.
4. Why does Conrad have trouble sleeping after his pop quiz in trigonometry class?
5. Looking at Beth's perfectionist personality, why does Conrad upset her so much?
6. How is Conrad's confidence boosted at the library?
7. How does Conrad feel he has let Beth down?
8. Why does Cal want to get Conrad a car for Christmas?
9. How was attention called to Conrad's issues before he went to the mental hospital?
10. Describe Conrad's run-in with Joe Lazenby after Conrad has quit the swim team.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the title "Ordinary People" relevant to the novel's content? Why do you think the novel is called "Ordinary People"?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in "Ordinary People" feel guilty. For example, Conrad feels guilty over the death of his brother, Jordan. How is guilt one of the major themes in the novel? What characters experience guilt and why?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the events in "Ordinary People" are realistic, such as Conrad's reaction to Karen's death. What other elements of the novel are realistic? Analyze the realism in the novel and explain whether it is effective as a literary technique.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)