|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why breakthrough occurs in chapter 13 for Conrad?
2. What does Conrad get to experience on his birthday?
3. Who does Conrad ride to school with in chapter 3?
4. What does Beth complain about in chapter 6?
5. What is Conrad's reaction to hearing his classmates taunt him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Conrad's feelings about getting a car for Christmas?
2. Why does Cal want to get Conrad a car for Christmas?
3. What causes Conrad to have his first pleasant memory about Jordan?
4. How does chapter 13 represent a breakthrough for Conrad and his family?
5. In chapter 6, what do Cal and Beth fight about?
6. When Beth and Cal attend a dinner party in chapter 8, what does Beth get angry about?
7. Describe Conrad's run-in with Joe Lazenby after Conrad has quit the swim team.
8. What does Conrad prove by making an appointment with Dr. Berger?
9. Describe Cal's first appointment with Dr. Berger.
10. Describe the new goals that Conrad sets for himself.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conrad is obsessed with not failing. The other characters also have fears. Analyze the fears of three different characters. Why are these fears significant to the progression of the novel? Do their fears become obsessions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze cause and effect in the novel. For example, Karen's death causes Conrad to have an emotional breakthrough. Analyze at least three different causes and effects in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What role does Karen's death play in Conrad's life? How is Karen's death significant to the progression of the novel?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)