|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Conrad's excuse for not going with Lazenby?
2. Who does Conrad tell that he has quit the swim team?
3. What does Cal want to believe?
4. Who does Conrad talk to about his dream?
5. What does Beth confront Conrad about in chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Conrad's confidence boosted at the library?
2. How was attention called to Conrad's issues before he went to the mental hospital?
3. Describe the new goals that Conrad sets for himself.
4. Why doesn't Conrad tell anybody that he has quit the swim team?
5. In chapter 6, what do Cal and Beth fight about?
6. Looking at Beth's perfectionist personality, why does Conrad upset her so much?
7. In chapter 14, what does Dr. Berger suggest the real problem is?
8. What does Conrad prove by making an appointment with Dr. Berger?
9. Describe Conrad's run-in with Joe Lazenby after Conrad has quit the swim team.
10. What does Conrad use as an excuse to quit the swim team?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the title "Ordinary People" relevant to the novel's content? Why do you think the novel is called "Ordinary People"?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the relationship Cal and Beth have in the beginning of the novel with the relationship they have at the end. How does it change? How does it stay the same?
Essay Topic 3
Conrad makes an appointment with Dr. Berger to continue treatment when he leaves the mental hospital. What role does Dr. Berger continue to play in Conrad's life? How does he help Conrad progress?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)