|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Conrad's reaction to hearing his classmates taunt him?
2. What grade does Conrad get on his pop quiz?
3. Which of the following is Conrad's fourth goal?
4. What does Cal reflect on in chapter 6?
5. In chapter 16, which of the following is Conrad's first goal?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 14, what does Dr. Berger suggest the real problem is?
2. How does Conrad feel he has let Beth down?
3. When Beth and Cal attend a dinner party in chapter 8, what does Beth get angry about?
4. Why doesn't Conrad first reveal that he had a brother to Dr. Berger?
5. What causes Conrad to have his first pleasant memory about Jordan?
6. Why does Cal want to get Conrad a car for Christmas?
7. What is Cal's role in his family?
8. How was attention called to Conrad's issues before he went to the mental hospital?
9. How is Conrad's confidence boosted at the library?
10. Describe Conrad's run-in with Joe Lazenby after Conrad has quit the swim team.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel's resolution occurs in the epilogue. What is the purpose of the epilogue in the novel? What resolution to the conflict does it offer?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the focal point changes back and forth from Conrad to Cal. Why does Judith Guest switch back and forth between the two characters? Is this an effective technique used to tell the story?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the protagonist of the novel? Who is the antagonist? How do both the protagonist and antagonist of "Ordinary People" contribute to the novel's conflict?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)