|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what class does Conrad have a pop quiz?
2. What do Cal and Conrad buy in chapter 13?
3. In chapter 16, which of the following is Conrad's first goal?
4. How does Conrad spend his birthday?
5. Which word best describes Conrad's therapist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Conrad prove by making an appointment with Dr. Berger?
2. What causes Conrad to have his first pleasant memory about Jordan?
3. Describe the progression of Jeanine and Conrad's relationship to chapter 30.
4. Describe Conrad's reaction to Karen's death.
5. What does Karen's death force Conrad to do?
6. The morning that the novel starts, what things does Conrad wonder?
7. Why does Conrad want to call Karen?
8. What causes Conrad to worry about his ability to survive in chapter 7?
9. What is Conrad's reaction to Beth's behavior at dinner in chapter 29?
10. What makes Cal wonder why Conrad would ever want to kill himself?
Essay Topic 1
Conrad has a flashback to Jordan's death after he reads about Karen's death. Why does the author include a flashback? Does it elicit a more emotional response from the reader than merely providing back story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The novel's resolution occurs in the epilogue. What is the purpose of the epilogue in the novel? What resolution to the conflict does it offer?
Essay Topic 3
What is the lowest point of Conrad's life in the novel? What is the highest point? Provide evidence from the novel to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)