|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cal realize about his family while they celebrate Christmas?
2. How does Conrad spend his birthday?
3. What do Cal and Conrad buy in chapter 13?
4. Where does Lazenby invite Conrad?
5. How did Conrad's brother die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Conrad have trouble sleeping after his pop quiz in trigonometry class?
2. The morning that the novel starts, what things does Conrad wonder?
3. What are Conrad's feelings about getting a car for Christmas?
4. What does Conrad use as an excuse to quit the swim team?
5. In chapter 6, what do Cal and Beth fight about?
6. What does Conrad's dream of being confined in a tunnel represent?
7. Why does Cal want to see Dr. Berger in chapter 17?
8. In chapter 14, what does Dr. Berger suggest the real problem is?
9. How is Conrad's confidence boosted at the library?
10. According to Conrad, how does Beth feel about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel's resolution occurs in the epilogue. What is the purpose of the epilogue in the novel? What resolution to the conflict does it offer?
Essay Topic 2
How is Conrad introduced? What elements does the author use to make Conrad seem realistic and likable?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the relationship Cal and Beth have in the beginning of the novel with the relationship they have at the end. How does it change? How does it stay the same?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)