|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Conrad invite out on a date?
2. What does Beth confront Conrad about in chapter 13?
3. What grade does Conrad get on his pop quiz?
4. At school, what is Conrad overwhelmed by?
5. What does Beth believe that Conrad is doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. The morning that the novel starts, what things does Conrad wonder?
2. Describe Beth's attitude toward Cal and Conrad in chapter 6.
3. Looking at Beth's perfectionist personality, why does Conrad upset her so much?
4. In chapter 14, what does Dr. Berger suggest the real problem is?
5. What does Conrad's dream of being confined in a tunnel represent?
6. According to Conrad, how does Beth feel about him?
7. Describe the new goals that Conrad sets for himself.
8. When Beth and Cal attend a dinner party in chapter 8, what does Beth get angry about?
9. Describe Conrad's meeting with Karen.
10. Describe Cal's first appointment with Dr. Berger.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the development of the three main characters: Conrad, Beth, and Cal. Compare and contrast each character from the novel's introduction to the epilogue. What changes? What do they learn?
Essay Topic 2
The novel's resolution occurs in the epilogue. What is the purpose of the epilogue in the novel? What resolution to the conflict does it offer?
Essay Topic 3
Conrad has a flashback to Jordan's death after he reads about Karen's death. Why does the author include a flashback? Does it elicit a more emotional response from the reader than merely providing back story? Why or why not?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)