|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cal have lunch with in chapter 11?
2. Who confronts Conrad about quitting the swim team?
3. Why doesn't Conrad tell Beth about quitting the team?
4. How long did Conrad spend in the hospital?
5. How often does Conrad go to therapy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Beth's attitude toward Cal and Conrad in chapter 6.
2. What are Conrad's feelings about getting a car for Christmas?
3. How does chapter 13 represent a breakthrough for Conrad and his family?
4. Why doesn't Conrad tell anybody that he has quit the swim team?
5. Describe the new goals that Conrad sets for himself.
6. Why doesn't Conrad first reveal that he had a brother to Dr. Berger?
7. What causes Conrad to have his first pleasant memory about Jordan?
8. Why does Cal want to see Dr. Berger in chapter 17?
9. What makes Cal think that Conrad is resuming a regular routine in chapter 1?
10. Looking at Beth's perfectionist personality, why does Conrad upset her so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the lowest point of Conrad's life in the novel? What is the highest point? Provide evidence from the novel to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the development of the three main characters: Conrad, Beth, and Cal. Compare and contrast each character from the novel's introduction to the epilogue. What changes? What do they learn?
Essay Topic 3
Beth is a perfectionist, and Conrad is afraid to make mistakes. Describe the ways in which perfection is a major theme in the novel. Which characters strive for perfection? How does it affect their life and character development?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)