Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the therapist say that Conrad needs to forgive?
2. What is the name of Conrad's therapist?
3. Why did Beth never visit Conrad when he was in the hospital?
4. Why doesn't Karen want to keep in touch with Conrad?
5. In chapter 11, who does Beth have lunch with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Conrad prove that he is strong in chapter 24?
2. Describe Conrad's first date with Jeanine.
3. Which parent does Conrad fear most?
4. What are Cal's hopes for his vacation with Beth in Texas?
5. What is Conrad's reaction to Beth's behavior at dinner in chapter 29?
6. What does Conrad prove by making an appointment with Dr. Berger?
7. In chapter 19, Cal realizes why he is so worried about Conrad. What does he realize?
8. In chapter 6, what do Cal and Beth fight about?
9. Why will Beth never forgive Conrad?
10. Describe Conrad's reaction to Karen's death.
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in "Ordinary People" feel guilty. For example, Conrad feels guilty over the death of his brother, Jordan. How is guilt one of the major themes in the novel? What characters experience guilt and why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the relationship Cal and Beth have in the beginning of the novel with the relationship they have at the end. How does it change? How does it stay the same?
Essay Topic 3
What is the lowest point of Conrad's life in the novel? What is the highest point? Provide evidence from the novel to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)