|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group or event does Conrad want to quit?
2. What is Beth's occupation?
3. Where is Conrad complimented?
4. What is Conrad's only escape?
5. What does Beth complain about in chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Conrad's meeting with Karen.
2. When Beth and Cal attend a dinner party in chapter 8, what does Beth get angry about?
3. The morning that the novel starts, what things does Conrad wonder?
4. Why does Cal want to see Dr. Berger in chapter 17?
5. Why does Cal want to get Conrad a car for Christmas?
6. Looking at Beth's perfectionist personality, why does Conrad upset her so much?
7. What is Cal's role in his family?
8. How does Conrad feel he has let Beth down?
9. What does Conrad's dream of being confined in a tunnel represent?
10. Why does Conrad have trouble sleeping after his pop quiz in trigonometry class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the title "Ordinary People" relevant to the novel's content? Why do you think the novel is called "Ordinary People"?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the relationship Cal and Beth have in the beginning of the novel with the relationship they have at the end. How does it change? How does it stay the same?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the protagonist of the novel? Who is the antagonist? How do both the protagonist and antagonist of "Ordinary People" contribute to the novel's conflict?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)