|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the wife of Cal's partner's?
2. What does Cal want to believe?
3. In chapter 11, who does Beth have lunch with?
4. What kind of person does Conrad perceive himself to be?
5. What does Beth confront Conrad about in chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Conrad have trouble sleeping after his pop quiz in trigonometry class?
2. Describe Cal's first appointment with Dr. Berger.
3. What is Cal's role in his family?
4. What are Conrad's feelings about getting a car for Christmas?
5. In chapter 14, what does Dr. Berger suggest the real problem is?
6. What makes Cal wonder why Conrad would ever want to kill himself?
7. How was attention called to Conrad's issues before he went to the mental hospital?
8. What causes Conrad to worry about his ability to survive in chapter 7?
9. Describe the new goals that Conrad sets for himself.
10. What does Conrad's dream of being confined in a tunnel represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Conrad introduced? What elements does the author use to make Conrad seem realistic and likable?
Essay Topic 2
What role does Karen's death play in Conrad's life? How is Karen's death significant to the progression of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The novel's resolution occurs in the epilogue. What is the purpose of the epilogue in the novel? What resolution to the conflict does it offer?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)