|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cal's Christmas present?
(a) A new set of goggles.
(b) A new car.
(c) A signed book.
(d) A trip to Spain.
2. What group or event does Conrad want to quit?
(a) High school.
(c) Swim team.
(d) Going to counseling.
3. How did Conrad's brother die?
(b) Swimming accident.
(c) Car accident.
(d) Sailing accident.
4. What does Cal reflect on in chapter 6?
(a) His own therapist.
(b) His own stay at a mental hospital.
(c) His mentor in medical school.
(d) His mentor in law school.
5. Who does Conrad invite out on a date?
(a) The girl who is sad she failed her pop quiz.
(c) A girl at the library.
Short Answer Questions
1. What marks Conrad's happiest time in the novel?
2. When did Cal and Beth get married?
3. What does Beth believe that Conrad is doing?
4. What does Cal want to believe?
5. Why does Cal believe that suicide doesn't seem like something Conrad would do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Beth's attitude toward Cal and Conrad in chapter 6.
2. Describe Conrad's first appointment with Dr. Berger.
3. When Beth and Cal attend a dinner party in chapter 8, what does Beth get angry about?
4. Describe Conrad's run-in with Joe Lazenby after Conrad has quit the swim team.
5. How does chapter 13 represent a breakthrough for Conrad and his family?
6. How is Conrad's confidence boosted at the library?
7. Why does Cal want to get Conrad a car for Christmas?
8. What does Conrad prove by making an appointment with Dr. Berger?
9. According to Conrad, how does Beth feel about him?
10. Describe Cal's first appointment with Dr. Berger.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)