|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Conrad ride to school with in chapter 3?
2. What is Beth envious of?
(a) Cal's ability to get away from home during the day.
(b) Conrad's musical ability.
(c) The attention Conrad gets from Cal.
(d) The vacation that Conrad and Cal are going on.
3. When did Cal and Beth get married?
(a) After Jordan was born.
(b) When Cal was in law school.
(c) When Cal was in medical school.
(d) After they both graduated from college.
4. In Conrad's dream, what is he trapped in?
(a) A tunnel.
(b) A cave.
(c) A swimming pool.
(d) A classroom.
5. What makes Beth angry while she and Cal are out together?
(a) He spends the whole night talking to another woman.
(b) He talks about Beth's personal problems.
(c) He talks about Conrad's problems.
(d) He talks about work all night.
6. What is Conrad's reaction to hearing his classmates taunt him?
(a) He quits choir.
(b) He quits the swim team.
(c) He runs home from school.
(d) He runs to see his therapist.
7. What does Conrad get to experience on his birthday?
(a) His first beer.
(b) His first day of dreamless sleep.
(c) His last therapy session.
(d) His first sexual experience.
8. Who does Conrad meet in chapter 3?
9. What does Conrad wait to do after the other boys are done?
(a) Change clothes.
(c) Leave the locker room.
(d) Dive into the pool.
10. In what class does Conrad have a pop quiz?
11. Where did Karen and Conrad meet?
(b) Swim team meet up.
(c) Choir practice.
(d) The mental hospital.
12. Who does Conrad talk to about his dream?
(b) Dr. Shepherd.
(c) Dr. Berger.
13. What midterm does Conrad need to study for in chapter 8?
14. What is the significance of chapter 7?
(a) It is the point where Conrad understands himself.
(b) It is the point where Conrad sets goals for himself.
(c) It marks the lowest point in Conrad's life.
(d) It marks the highest point in Conrad's life.
15. According to Conrad, what does Beth think of him?
(a) She hates that he isn't a jock.
(b) She can't forgive him for attempting to commit suicide.
(c) She wishes he were back in the hospital.
(d) She can't forgive him for Jordan's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Conrad's brother die?
2. How long did Conrad spend in the hospital?
3. How does Conrad believe he has let Beth down?
4. What marks Conrad's happiest time in the novel?
5. What birthday does Conrad celebrate in chapter 17?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)