|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the punishment that Frank and Jake receive as a result of playing at the tracks?
(a) They are not allowed to use the phone for one week.
(b) They are not allowed to leave the yard without permission from a parent for one week.
(c) They have to do Ariel's chores, as well as their own, for one week.
(d) They are not allowed to ride in Karl's sports car for one week.
2. When Ariel suggests she may not attend Juilliard, what alternative does she present to her parents?
(a) Getting married to Karl Brandt.
(b) Staying at home to help her mother and father finish raising Frank and Jake.
(c) Attending Mankato State and continuing to study with Emil Brandt.
(d) Attending Yale University.
3. When Ruth gets angry at Julia's words, what physical attribute does Ruth mention in order to insult Julia?
(a) Worry lines.
(c) Crow's feet.
4. What work does Ariel do for Emil Brandt in exchange for music tutelage?
(a) She transcribes for him.
(b) She gardens in his yard.
(c) She cleans his house.
(d) She paints portraits for him to sell.
5. What reason does Warren Redstone cite for the 1862 attack on the white settlers by the Sioux tribe?
(a) Because the Sioux were starving and had been denied food promised them in a treaty.
(b) Because the white settlers had attacked the Sioux first.
(c) Because the Sioux realized that the white settlers wanted to own land the Sioux had occupied for centuries.
(d) Because the Sioux had discovered the white settlers' use of smallpox-infected blankets to kill their tribe members.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompts Gus and Morris to be thrown in jail?
2. Whose conversation does Frank overhear when he is hiding behind the stage at the theater?
3. How do Jake and Frank feel about their sister Ariel?
4. What school is Ariel planning to attend after high school?
5. What does Ruth believe is the true cause of Ariel's change of heart regarding Juilliard?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)