|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laurel listen for but never hear?
2. Who's wedding were the bridesmaids a part of?
3. What does Laurel see in Judge's face after Fay's abuse?
4. What character traits best describe Fay?
5. What does Laurel hear when she approaches the Judge's room the night he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Laurel feel trapped in her parent's, now Fay's, bedroom?
2. What makes Laurel unhappy about her father's coffin?
3. How does Laurel finally catch the bird?
4. Who else does Laurel grieve in Part 3, Chapter 4?
5. Where does Laurel expect her father to be buried?
6. Why does Judge become depressed?
7. Why does Laurel believe her father married Fay?
8. What does Fay do when she sees the coffin?
9. Who consoles Laurel after the funeral?
10. What does Dr. Courtland tell Laurel after her father passes away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss gossip. Is gossip a bad thing? How does gossip affect people's lives? How can gossip be good? How is gossip bad? How does gossip affect Laurel? Fay? Judge?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss optimism. Was Judge really an optimist? How did Judge define optimism? Is this a true definition of optimism? How did Laurel define optimism? Was she an optimist at the beginning of the novel? Was she an optimist at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Laurel and Fay never really get along, even after Laurel attempts to befriend Fay. Why does Fay reject Laurel's overtures at friendship? Does Fay dislike Laurel? Does Fay feel threatened by Laurel? Why or why not? Does Laurel really want to be Fay's friend? Why or why not?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)