|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Fay's job when she met Judge?
2. Why does Judge need to see the doctor?
3. Who tells Laurel and Fay the surgery is over?
4. Why does Judge refuse to ask Laurel about her work?
5. What book does Laurel begin reading to her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Laurel end the argument?
2. Describe Judge and Fay's relationship as shown in Chapter 2.
3. Why does Laurel refuse to gossip about Fay?
4. What problem does Dr. Courtland find with Judge's eyes and is it serious?
5. In Chapter 1, what causes the tensions between Laurel and Fay?
6. What do the pictures and books in her father's library symbolize to Laurel?
7. Why does Fay refuse to get up the next morning?
8. Why does Laurel feel trapped in her parent's, now Fay's, bedroom?
9. What is discussed over dinner after the funeral?
10. What does Laurel burn out in the yard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Phil? Why does Laurel think about him after the death of her father? What impact did his death have on Laurel? Why is Laurel more angry about his death, even after all this time, than that of her father? How has Phil's death defined Laurel's life?
Essay Topic 2
Who was the dominate person in Judge's relationship with Fay? Why? How did Judge's friends and family feel about this relationship? Why? How did people around Judge feel about Fay? Why do they believe he married Fay? Could they be correct? How does Laurel feel about this relationship between Judge and Fay? Does Laurel also believe what the neighbors believe about Fay? Did Judge's relationship with Fay contribute to his death?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the breadboard? Who made the breadboard? Who used it? Why does its destruction upset Laurel so much? Who destroyed it? Why? What does this destruction say about this person? How does the discovery of this breadboard help Laurel heal?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)