Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Laurel fly to New Orleans?
2. How does Fay react when Dr. Courtland says Judge has died?
3. Who is waiting with Fay at the hospital?
4. Why does Judge need to see the doctor?
5. Where does Laurel put Miss Adele's gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laurel burn out in the yard?
2. Why does Judge chose a doctor in New Orleans rather than one close to home?
3. What does Dr. Courtland tell Laurel after her father passes away?
4. What is Laurel searching for in her father's library?
5. Who consoles Laurel after the funeral?
6. How does Fay react to the waiting crowd?
7. What do the pictures and books in her father's library symbolize to Laurel?
8. Why does Miss Adele remain after everyone has left to put away the dishes?
9. What problem does Dr. Courtland find with Judge's eyes and is it serious?
10. What does the bird symbolize?
Grief is a theme of this novel. Discuss how grief effects each of the main characters, including Laurel, Fay, and Judge. How does grief change their thinking, their behaviors? How does it affect their choices?
Laurel burns a bunch of her mother and father's papers before she leaves for Chicago. Why does Laurel do this? Who is she trying to protect? What does Laurel think Fay might do with the letters? Is Laurel hiding something or protecting something? Why?
Does Judge love Fay? Did Judge remarry out of love? Was Judge lonely? Could Laurel have saved him from a bad marriage if she had not moved to Chicago? Was it Laurel's job to keep her father from being lonely? Why did Laurel move away? Does Laurel feel guilty about leaving her father? Why or why not?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)