Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Laurel fly to New Orleans?
2. How does Fay react when Dr. Courtland says Judge has died?
3. Who is waiting with Fay at the hospital?
4. Why does Judge need to see the doctor?
5. Where does Laurel put Miss Adele's gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laurel burn out in the yard?
2. Why does Judge chose a doctor in New Orleans rather than one close to home?
3. What does Dr. Courtland tell Laurel after her father passes away?
4. What is Laurel searching for in her father's library?
5. Who consoles Laurel after the funeral?
6. How does Fay react to the waiting crowd?
7. What do the pictures and books in her father's library symbolize to Laurel?
8. Why does Miss Adele remain after everyone has left to put away the dishes?
9. What problem does Dr. Courtland find with Judge's eyes and is it serious?
10. What does the bird symbolize?
Essay Topic 1
Laurel burns a bunch of her mother and father's papers before she leaves for Chicago. Why does Laurel do this? Who is she trying to protect? What does Laurel think Fay might do with the letters? Is Laurel hiding something or protecting something? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss optimism. Was Judge really an optimist? How did Judge define optimism? Is this a true definition of optimism? How did Laurel define optimism? Was she an optimist at the beginning of the novel? Was she an optimist at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Judge's depression. Why did he become depressed after surgery? Who had the largest impact on Judge's emotional state? Why? How did Laurel try to relieve Judge's depression? Was she successful? Was Judge's depression a hurdle to his recovery? How?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)