|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are they transported to the hospital?
2. What is Judge's prognosis after surgery?
3. What was Judge doing when he experienced symptoms related to his doctor's visit?
4. What makes Fay upset when they arrive back in Mississippi?
5. Who's wedding were the bridesmaids a part of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Laurel concerned for her father?
2. What is discussed over dinner after the funeral?
3. What does the bird symbolize?
4. Why does Laurel want to find her mother's letters?
5. What does the nurse tell Laurel when she arrives at the hospital? How does Laurel react?
6. Why does Laurel fly to New Orleans?
7. How does Fay react when she returns home from the funeral home and finds people sitting with Laurel?
8. Why does Miss Adele remain after everyone has left to put away the dishes?
9. Where does Laurel expect her father to be buried?
10. What does Laurel find that causes her to finally become angry with Fay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Fay and Laurel. How are these two characters similar? How are they different? What motivates each character? How are these motivations similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Fay shakes Judge shortly before he died. Did this abuse cause his death? How did this abuse affect Judge? What does this abuse say about Fay? What does the abuse say about Fay and Judge's relationship? Is this a toxic relationship? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Grief is a theme of this novel. Discuss how grief effects each of the main characters, including Laurel, Fay, and Judge. How does grief change their thinking, their behaviors? How does it affect their choices?
This section contains 1,728 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)