|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Fay's job when she met Judge?
2. What does Laurel remember about sleeping in her room?
3. What does Laurel believe the lining of the coffin does to her father?
4. How does Fay react when Dr. Courtland says Judge has died?
5. How does Fay react to seeing Judge after surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives the morning of the funeral?
2. What does the nurse tell Laurel when she arrives at the hospital? How does Laurel react?
3. How does Fay react when she returns home from the funeral home and finds people sitting with Laurel?
4. What does Laurel find that causes her to finally become angry with Fay?
5. How does Fay react to the waiting crowd?
6. Why does Laurel believe her father married Fay?
7. Why does Fay refuse to get up the next morning?
8. Why does Miss Adele remain after everyone has left to put away the dishes?
9. Is it appropriate for Fay to expect Judge to take her dancing?
10. What does Dr. Courtland tell Laurel after her father passes away?
Essay Topic 1
Eudora Welty uses several examples of symbolism throughout the novel. Name two. What do these objects symbolize? Why did Welty chose these items? How are these items similar to the things they symbolize? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Fay and Laurel. How are these two characters similar? How are they different? What motivates each character? How are these motivations similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Fay shakes Judge shortly before he died. Did this abuse cause his death? How did this abuse affect Judge? What does this abuse say about Fay? What does the abuse say about Fay and Judge's relationship? Is this a toxic relationship? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,754 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)