|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fay react when Dr. Courtland says Judge has died?
2. Where did Fay and Judge get married?
3. What was Fay's job when she met Judge?
4. What is Judge's outlook on life?
5. What does the nurse tell Laurel about Fay when she arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fay react when she returns home from the funeral home and finds people sitting with Laurel?
2. Who consoles Laurel after the funeral?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Fay complain about while waiting for Judge to come out of surgery?
4. Why does Laurel fly to New Orleans?
5. Is it appropriate for Fay to expect Judge to take her dancing?
6. What do the pictures and books in her father's library symbolize to Laurel?
7. Who arrives the morning of the funeral?
8. Why does Judge chose a doctor in New Orleans rather than one close to home?
9. What is Laurel searching for in her father's library?
10. How does gossip affect the plot in Part 3, Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Discuss Laurel's mother. How does Laurel feel about her mother? What kind of person does Laurel believe her mother was? Does Laurel admire her mother? Why or why not? What does Laurel think about her mother and father's relationship? How did this relationship define her father? Was this an accurate description?
Essay Topic 2Discuss gossip. Is gossip a bad thing? How does gossip affect people's lives? How can gossip be good? How is gossip bad? How does gossip affect Laurel? Fay? Judge?
Essay Topic 3Why does Laurel fly to New Orleans when her father tells her he has made a doctor's appointment? What is unusual about Judge's decision to see a doctor? What does this say about Judge's personality?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)