Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Laurel fly to New Orleans?
2. How does Fay react when Dr. Courtland says Judge has died?
3. Who is waiting with Fay at the hospital?
4. Why does Judge need to see the doctor?
5. Where does Laurel put Miss Adele's gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laurel burn out in the yard?
2. Why does Judge chose a doctor in New Orleans rather than one close to home?
3. What does Dr. Courtland tell Laurel after her father passes away?
4. What is Laurel searching for in her father's library?
5. Who consoles Laurel after the funeral?
6. How does Fay react to the waiting crowd?
7. What do the pictures and books in her father's library symbolize to Laurel?
8. Why does Miss Adele remain after everyone has left to put away the dishes?
9. What problem does Dr. Courtland find with Judge's eyes and is it serious?
10. What does the bird symbolize?
Essay Topic 1
Why is Judge reluctant to engage in confrontations? Is this unusual for a man who makes his living as a judge? How did this reluctance to argue affect Judge's marriages? How did Judge's first wife feel about his reluctance to deal with her anger or her health issues? How did Laurel feel about it? Did this behavior save Judge from emotional entanglements, or make them worse? How?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the breadboard? Who made the breadboard? Who used it? Why does its destruction upset Laurel so much? Who destroyed it? Why? What does this destruction say about this person? How does the discovery of this breadboard help Laurel heal?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Fay to Laurel's mother. Do they have any similarities? What are they? How are they different? Why did Judge chose to marry each of these women? Did Judge love these women? How did these women affect Judge's life?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)