|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Fay insist on talking to when they arrive in Mississippi?
2. What is unusual about Judge's behavior during his recovery?
3. Who's wedding were the bridesmaids a part of?
4. What was Judge doing when he experienced symptoms related to his doctor's visit?
5. How does Judge look after surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Laurel want to find her mother's letters?
2. Who consoles Laurel after the funeral?
3. Why does Laurel end the argument?
4. What does Laurel decide to do?
5. What does the bird symbolize?
6. Why does Laurel believe her father married Fay?
7. Why does Laurel refuse to gossip about Fay?
8. What does Laurel find in her mother's sewing room?
9. Who is waiting when the train arrives in Judge's hometown?
10. How does Fay react when she returns home from the funeral home and finds people sitting with Laurel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss gossip. Is gossip a bad thing? How does gossip affect people's lives? How can gossip be good? How is gossip bad? How does gossip affect Laurel? Fay? Judge?
Essay Topic 2
Fay shakes Judge shortly before he died. Did this abuse cause his death? How did this abuse affect Judge? What does this abuse say about Fay? What does the abuse say about Fay and Judge's relationship? Is this a toxic relationship? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Does Judge love Fay? Did Judge remarry out of love? Was Judge lonely? Could Laurel have saved him from a bad marriage if she had not moved to Chicago? Was it Laurel's job to keep her father from being lonely? Why did Laurel move away? Does Laurel feel guilty about leaving her father? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,759 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)