|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Fay unhappy with Judge's circumstances?
2. What does the nurse tell Laurel about Fay when she arrives?
3. What does Miss Adele bring?
4. How does Fay react to the doctor's recommendation?
5. What does Laurel hear when she approaches the Judge's room the night he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laurel find in the house when she returns from dinner?
2. What does Part 2, Chapter 4 say about the characters of Laurel and Fay?
3. Is it appropriate for Fay to expect Judge to take her dancing?
4. What does Fay do when she sees the coffin?
5. In Chapter 2, what does Fay complain about while waiting for Judge to come out of surgery?
6. Why does Fay refuse to get up the next morning?
7. How does Fay react to the waiting crowd?
8. Where does Laurel expect her father to be buried?
9. Who consoles Laurel after the funeral?
10. What does Laurel find in her mother's sewing room?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Phil? Why does Laurel think about him after the death of her father? What impact did his death have on Laurel? Why is Laurel more angry about his death, even after all this time, than that of her father? How has Phil's death defined Laurel's life?
Essay Topic 2
Fay did not think Judge should have surgery on his eye. Judge trusted his friend. Who was right? Who should have the right to make these types of medical decisions? Would the story have been different had Judge followed Fay's opinion? Would Judge still be alive?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Fay and Laurel. How are these two characters similar? How are they different? What motivates each character? How are these motivations similar? How are they different?
This section contains 1,830 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)