|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Judge ask for when he wakes after surgery?
2. Who arrives while Missouri is taking Fay her breakfast?
3. How did Judge meet Fay?
4. How does Fay react to Dr. Courtland's orders regarding Judge's after surgery care?
5. Where does Laurel put Miss Adele's gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Judge react to his wife's illness toward the end of her life?
2. Why does Laurel want to find her mother's letters?
3. What is discussed over dinner after the funeral?
4. Does Fay love Judge?
5. Why does Laurel end the argument?
6. How does Laurel feel about Fay at this point in the story, Part 3, Chapter 4?
7. Why does Laurel feel trapped in her parent's, now Fay's, bedroom?
8. Why does Laurel believe her father married Fay?
9. Who else does Laurel grieve in Part 3, Chapter 4?
10. Is it appropriate for Fay to expect Judge to take her dancing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Laurel burns a bunch of her mother and father's papers before she leaves for Chicago. Why does Laurel do this? Who is she trying to protect? What does Laurel think Fay might do with the letters? Is Laurel hiding something or protecting something? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Laurel and Fay never really get along, even after Laurel attempts to befriend Fay. Why does Fay reject Laurel's overtures at friendship? Does Fay dislike Laurel? Does Fay feel threatened by Laurel? Why or why not? Does Laurel really want to be Fay's friend? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Laurel fly to New Orleans when her father tells her he has made a doctor's appointment? What is unusual about Judge's decision to see a doctor? What does this say about Judge's personality?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)