|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Laurel go to check on Fay after Missouri?
2. What is name of the family introduced in Part 1, Chapter 1?
3. What was Fay's job when she met Judge?
4. How does Fay react to seeing Judge after surgery?
5. Where does Laurel put Miss Adele's gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Judge call himself an optimist?
2. What is discussed over dinner after the funeral?
3. Why does Miss Adele remain after everyone has left to put away the dishes?
4. What does Laurel find in the house when she returns from dinner?
5. What does Laurel burn out in the yard?
6. Why does Judge become depressed?
7. Why do the neighbors blame Laurel for Judge marrying Fay?
8. Who is waiting when the train arrives in Judge's hometown?
9. Why does Judge chose a doctor in New Orleans rather than one close to home?
10. How does Laurel finally catch the bird?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Fay to Laurel's mother. Do they have any similarities? What are they? How are they different? Why did Judge chose to marry each of these women? Did Judge love these women? How did these women affect Judge's life?
Essay Topic 2
Eudora Welty uses several examples of symbolism throughout the novel. Name two. What do these objects symbolize? Why did Welty chose these items? How are these items similar to the things they symbolize? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Fay shakes Judge shortly before he died. Did this abuse cause his death? How did this abuse affect Judge? What does this abuse say about Fay? What does the abuse say about Fay and Judge's relationship? Is this a toxic relationship? Why or why not?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)