|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fay react to the doctor's recommendation?
2. What kind of doctor does Judge McKelva go to see?
3. Who attempts to befriend Fay at the Hibiscus Hotel?
4. Who does Laurel find in the kitchen when she wakes?
5. Where does Laurel put Miss Adele's gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Laurel believe her father married Fay?
2. How does gossip affect the plot in Part 3, Chapter 1?
3. Why does Laurel fly to New Orleans?
4. What does Laurel decide to do?
5. Is Laurel a responsible person, as demonstrated by her actions in Chapter 3?
6. What does Laurel notice about her father and Fay's bedroom when she goes to wake Fay?
7. How does Fay react when she returns home from the funeral home and finds people sitting with Laurel?
8. What does Laurel burn out in the yard?
9. How does Fay react to Judge's death?
10. Why does Judge become depressed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss optimism. Was Judge really an optimist? How did Judge define optimism? Is this a true definition of optimism? How did Laurel define optimism? Was she an optimist at the beginning of the novel? Was she an optimist at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Fay shakes Judge shortly before he died. Did this abuse cause his death? How did this abuse affect Judge? What does this abuse say about Fay? What does the abuse say about Fay and Judge's relationship? Is this a toxic relationship? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Fay did not think Judge should have surgery on his eye. Judge trusted his friend. Who was right? Who should have the right to make these types of medical decisions? Would the story have been different had Judge followed Fay's opinion? Would Judge still be alive?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)