|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel where Laurel gets rooms for herself and Fay?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what traits does Judge display that Laurel finds unusual to him?
3. Why does Laurel fly to New Orleans?
4. Who does Laurel find in the kitchen when she wakes?
5. How does Judge look after surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Fay.
2. How does Fay react when she returns home from the funeral home and finds people sitting with Laurel?
3. Why do the neighbors dislike Fay?
4. What does Laurel find in her mother's sewing room?
5. Who else does Laurel grieve in Part 3, Chapter 4?
6. Do you think Fay's behavior is appropriate in Chapter 2?
7. What other decision has Fay made about the wake that Laurel dislikes?
8. What do the pictures and books in her father's library symbolize to Laurel?
9. What does Fay do when she sees the coffin?
10. What does Dr. Courtland tell Laurel after her father passes away?
Essay Topic 1
Laurel burns a bunch of her mother and father's papers before she leaves for Chicago. Why does Laurel do this? Who is she trying to protect? What does Laurel think Fay might do with the letters? Is Laurel hiding something or protecting something? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Laurel and Fay never really get along, even after Laurel attempts to befriend Fay. Why does Fay reject Laurel's overtures at friendship? Does Fay dislike Laurel? Does Fay feel threatened by Laurel? Why or why not? Does Laurel really want to be Fay's friend? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Fay shakes Judge shortly before he died. Did this abuse cause his death? How did this abuse affect Judge? What does this abuse say about Fay? What does the abuse say about Fay and Judge's relationship? Is this a toxic relationship? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,744 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)