|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anne learn that she will keep the baby?
2. What fear begins to emerge for Anne where Sam is concerned?
3. What is one of the things that does not frighten Anne about her pregnancy?
4. Who is Brian?
5. When an associate pastor from her church comes to help, what does he do to help Anne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the depression that Anne experiences in Part 8?
2. What is Anne's favorite way of bonding with Sam?
3. How does Anne feel about breastfeeding now that she has become comfortable with it?
4. What are Anne's thoughts now on having a man in her life?
5. How has Anne reconciled her negative experiences during the seventh and eighth grades?
6. What is the physical and emotional toll of Pammy's illness in Part 10?
7. What does Anne recall about her own seventh and eighth grade experiences that she finds the prospect of Sam's living through them so daunting?
8. What does Anne share about her first few days home with Sam?
9. What are Anne's thoughts about her father during the Christmas holiday season?
10. What does Anne share about her breastfeeding problems she is experiencing in Part 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anne's father was also a writer and the family has a volatile income which did not provide much security. Do you think that Anne is afraid that she has inherited her father's fluctuating financial patterns as well as his gift for words? Explain what qualities Anne has that will not allow her to follow in all of her father's footsteps.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of religion and spirituality in Anne's life. What is the nature of Anne's particular devotion to the Virgin Mary? How does Anne exhibit her beliefs in her everyday life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Anne's conflict of not having a husband during the early days of Sam's life. What does Anne realize about the lack of a father figure for Sam? What actions does Anne take to increase Sam's emotional support system?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)