|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anne host a post-Baptism party?
2. The diary entries in Part 2 encompass ___________________________ of Sam's life.
3. What does the diary entry reveal?
4. What does Anne notice at this point in time?
5. What is a little unsettling for Anne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Anne's thoughts about her father during the Christmas holiday season?
2. How do Anne and Pammy escape the ominous cloud of Pammy's illness, even if only temporarily?
3. What is the relationship between Anne and Sam's father?
4. What is the premise for Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year
5. How does Anne exhibit what she calls one of her worst personality traits?
6. How has Sam's birth affected Anne and the people in her life?
7. Anne's thirty-sixth birthday and her deceased father's birthday complicate Anne's emotional state?
8. What does Anne share about her breastfeeding problems she is experiencing in Part 4?
9. What is the symbolism of the touching fingers in the story to Anne's life in Part 11.
10. What is the state of Sam's development in Part 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Anne's purpose in keeping the diary about Sam's first year of life? Who is the diary written for--Anne or Sam? Is this an unusual practice or something quite natural to a writer like Anne? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Anne means by this statement: "There's so much joy and pain and love and wonder in my chest and behind my eyes." What is she talking about?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Anne decide to keep her baby in spite of her boyfriend's insistence that she have an abortion? Was her age a factor? Her sobriety? Her new relationship with God? Describe the dream Anne has that validates her decision to keep her baby.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)