|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fear begins to emerge for Anne where Sam is concerned?
2. What upset Anne about her pre-teen years?
3. In what month do the entries in Part 3 occur?
4. What frightens Anne during a drive to the grocery store one day?
5. What amazes Anne about her own body?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Anne's belief in God and her faith that He will provide for her and Sam.
2. What is the premise for Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year
3. What are Anne's views on breastfeeding?
4. What does Anne recall about her own seventh and eighth grade experiences that she finds the prospect of Sam's living through them so daunting?
5. What is the physical and emotional toll of Pammy's illness in Part 10?
6. What is the nature of Anne's fears prior to giving birth?
7. Explain how Anne compares her life to experiences volunteering for the Special Olympics.
8. How has Anne reconciled her negative experiences during the seventh and eighth grades?
9. What milestone does Anne reach in Part 12?
10. What does Anne share about her first few days home with Sam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Anne's use of humor in the book. Select two of the funniest events or descriptions and explain what makes them funny to you? Do you think Anne's humor is a literary tactic? Or is it just the real Anne coming through?
Essay Topic 2
In addition to emotional woes, Anne is also troubled by financial problems. What is Anne's employment situation? What is her state of mind and ability to improve her situation? How does Anne ultimately find the finances she needs? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Anne decide to keep her baby in spite of her boyfriend's insistence that she have an abortion? Was her age a factor? Her sobriety? Her new relationship with God? Describe the dream Anne has that validates her decision to keep her baby.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)