|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anne's greatest fear about having a child?
2. Anne cannot imagine going through the experience of having Sam without _____________.
3. What is a major characteristic of Anne's writing style?
4. Who are Rex and Dudu?
5. What happens when Anne reads a story about the death of a small child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What startling information does Anne receive about activities initiated by Sam's father?
2. What does Anne mean by "just take it bird by bird?"
3. How is Sam formally initiated into a church family?
4. On Sam's birthday, what does Anne recall about the day he was born?
5. What is Sam's progress during February?
6. What are Anne's thoughts about her father during the Christmas holiday season?
7. How does Anne feel about breastfeeding now that she has become comfortable with it?
8. Describe the photo collage of elements that Anne considers to be her family.
9. What does the futon episode remind Anne of?
10. Why is Anne's determined focus on Sam a stronger coping mechanism than she may think?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Anne's use of humor in the book. Select two of the funniest events or descriptions and explain what makes them funny to you? Do you think Anne's humor is a literary tactic? Or is it just the real Anne coming through?
Essay Topic 2
Anne's father was also a writer and the family has a volatile income which did not provide much security. Do you think that Anne is afraid that she has inherited her father's fluctuating financial patterns as well as his gift for words? Explain what qualities Anne has that will not allow her to follow in all of her father's footsteps.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of religion and spirituality in Anne's life. What is the nature of Anne's particular devotion to the Virgin Mary? How does Anne exhibit her beliefs in her everyday life?
This section contains 1,796 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)