|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Pammy and her husband struggle with?
2. What issue does Anne worry that Sam will wonder about?
3. Where is Sam baptized?
4. With what is Sam afflicted?
5. What suggestion from the doctor does Anne resist about Sam's colic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Anne's biggest fear about having a boy?
2. Anne's thirty-sixth birthday and her deceased father's birthday complicate Anne's emotional state?
3. What does Anne recall about her own seventh and eighth grade experiences that she finds the prospect of Sam's living through them so daunting?
4. How is Sam formally initiated into a church family?
5. What milestone does Anne reach in Part 12?
6. What are Anne's thoughts now on having a man in her life?
7. Name the three sources of angst that fuel Anne's depression.
8. What is the relationship between Anne and Sam's father?
9. What symbolism does Anne find in the way Sam has learned to crawl?
10. Even though Anne feels fragile and vulnerable, she is stronger than she thinks. Explain Anne's strength and coping mechanisms.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the conflict Anne feels about Sam during his colic attacks. Are Anne's feelings normal? Why or why not? What options were available to Anne to relieve the situation? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Even though Anne was not married to Sam's father they did have a relatively strong relationship and it hurt her deeply when he left after the revelation of her pregnancy. Explain the act of abandonment. How does it impact those who are left behind as well as those who leave? Is an abandoned person always expecting to be abandoned again? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Anne means by this statement: "I feel that he has completely ruined my life, because I just didn't used to care all that much." Who and what is she talking about?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)