|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what disease did Anne's father die?
2. How did Anne spend the final months of her father's life?
3. Who are Rex and Dudu?
4. What does Anne finally realize about her life?
5. What is occurring that allows Anne to feel more centered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anne's therapist remind Anne of when Anne laments that maybe she is not good enough to have a husband?
2. Explain Anne's belief in God and her faith that He will provide for her and Sam.
3. Describe Anne's experience prior to going into labor and delivering her baby.
4. Explain the emotional complications surrounding the legal motions initiated by Sam's father.
5. What does Anne finally admit is her biggest fear for her child?
6. How does Anne exhibit what she calls one of her worst personality traits?
7. How has Sam's birth affected Anne and the people in her life?
8. What frightens Anne about the world in which Sam will grow up?
9. What is the nature of Anne's fears prior to giving birth?
10. Even though Anne feels fragile and vulnerable, she is stronger than she thinks. Explain Anne's strength and coping mechanisms.
Essay Topic 1
Explain Anne's conflict of not having a husband during the early days of Sam's life. What does Anne realize about the lack of a father figure for Sam? What actions does Anne take to increase Sam's emotional support system?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why, in a life filled with self-absorbed behavior and addictions to substances, one little baby can completely change Anne's world. Is this Anne's first experience with unconditional love? If so, is that why she is so unsure of herself much of the time where Sam is concerned? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is Anne's purpose in keeping the diary about Sam's first year of life? Who is the diary written for--Anne or Sam? Is this an unusual practice or something quite natural to a writer like Anne? Explain.
This section contains 1,960 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)