|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anne resists the urge to eat ________________.
2. What does Anne notice at this point in time?
3. What is the source of Anne's comfort during difficult times?
4. What is a regret that Anne has during the Christmas season?
5. When an associate pastor from her church comes to help, what does he do to help Anne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the photo collage of elements that Anne considers to be her family.
2. How is Sam formally initiated into a church family?
3. What frightens Anne about the world in which Sam will grow up?
4. What frightening experience does Anne have with Sam one day in the car?
5. What wishes does Anne recall making for Sam on the night he was born?
6. What startling event occurs when Anne and Sam are sleeping?
7. What does the futon episode remind Anne of?
8. How does Anne feel about breastfeeding now that she has become comfortable with it?
9. What treatments and coping mechanisms is Pammy using to fight her cancer?
10. What are Anne's New Year's hopes for the future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Anne decide to keep her baby in spite of her boyfriend's insistence that she have an abortion? Was her age a factor? Her sobriety? Her new relationship with God? Describe the dream Anne has that validates her decision to keep her baby.
Essay Topic 2
What is Anne's purpose in keeping the diary about Sam's first year of life? Who is the diary written for--Anne or Sam? Is this an unusual practice or something quite natural to a writer like Anne? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Anne's father was also a writer and the family has a volatile income which did not provide much security. Do you think that Anne is afraid that she has inherited her father's fluctuating financial patterns as well as his gift for words? Explain what qualities Anne has that will not allow her to follow in all of her father's footsteps.
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)