|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne indulge in?
2. Anne resists the urge to eat ________________.
3. What does Anne show Sam in a store window?
4. What frightens Anne during a drive to the grocery store one day?
5. What does Anne decide about her single-parent status?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to calm Anne's angst about Sam not having a good male influence in his life?
2. What toll is Pammy's illness taking on Anne in Part 12?
3. Even though Anne feels fragile and vulnerable, she is stronger than she thinks. Explain Anne's strength and coping mechanisms.
4. What is revealed about Anne's addictive behavior?
5. Anne's thirty-sixth birthday and her deceased father's birthday complicate Anne's emotional state?
6. How do Anne and Pammy escape the ominous cloud of Pammy's illness, even if only temporarily?
7. How has Sam's birth affected Anne and the people in her life?
8. Name the three sources of angst that fuel Anne's depression.
9. What symbolism does Anne find in the way Sam has learned to crawl?
10. What is the devastating news learned about Pammy and what does Anne do to cope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to emotional woes, Anne is also troubled by financial problems. What is Anne's employment situation? What is her state of mind and ability to improve her situation? How does Anne ultimately find the finances she needs? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Anne means by this statement: "There's so much joy and pain and love and wonder in my chest and behind my eyes." What is she talking about?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why, in a life filled with self-absorbed behavior and addictions to substances, one little baby can completely change Anne's world. Is this Anne's first experience with unconditional love? If so, is that why she is so unsure of herself much of the time where Sam is concerned? Explain.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)