|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Sam's father recently done?
2. In what city is Anne's baby born?
3. With what is Sam afflicted?
4. Where does Anne host a post-Baptism party?
5. What frightens Anne during a drive to the grocery store one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What startling information does Anne receive about activities initiated by Sam's father?
2. What is Anne's biggest fear about having a boy?
3. What does Anne share about her first few days home with Sam?
4. Name the three sources of angst that fuel Anne's depression.
5. What is the premise for Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year
6. What milestone does Sam reach shortly before his first birthday?
7. In what ways does it seem that Anne is not as strong as she needs to be?
8. What startling event occurs when Anne and Sam are sleeping?
9. Describe Anne's experience prior to going into labor and delivering her baby.
10. What is the nature of Anne's fears prior to giving birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Explain what Anne means by this statement: "I feel that he has completely ruined my life, because I just didn't used to care all that much." Who and what is she talking about?
Essay Topic 2Explain Anne's feelings about becoming a mother. How are her positive feelings tempered by the fact that she will be a single parent?
Essay Topic 3What is Anne's purpose in keeping the diary about Sam's first year of life? Who is the diary written for--Anne or Sam? Is this an unusual practice or something quite natural to a writer like Anne? Explain.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)