|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In an strange way, Anne is happy to be single so that she does not have what?
(a) Share decisions with someone else
(b) To keep the house clean
(c) Someone else messing up the house
(d) The stress of keeping a husband happy
2. What is Anne's idea of normal for a family?
(a) Anything as long as a child is loved
(b) There is no such thing as normal
(c) A mother is quite enough for a child
(d) The presence of a husband and father
3. What does Anne realize she needs to do in order to survive financially?
(a) Take on more freelance work
(b) Sell her house
(c) Sell some stocks
(d) Get a full-time job
4. In what month do the entries in Part 3 occur?
5. What is Anne's core personality?
6. How did Anne spend the final months of her father's life?
(c) Drunk or high
(d) Out of the country
7. What begins to change Anne's frantic moods from being so exhausted?
(a) Anne's mother takes Sam for a few days
(b) Sam begins to smile
(c) Anne hires a nanny
(d) Sam's colic goes away
8. What does Anne tell her therapist?
(a) That sometimes she cannot tolerate her own baby
(b) That she still mourns for her father
(c) That she isn't good enough to have a husband
(d) That she yearns to go back to work
9. What amazes Anne about her own body?
(a) That it can nourish her child
(b) That it has gone back to normal size
(c) That it can function on little sleep
(d) That it can create another human
10. Where is Sam's father?
(a) He walked away when he learned Anne was pregnant
(b) He is dead
(c) He is in the army overseas
(d) He is out of town on business
11. What does Anne think about Sam at this point?
(a) She is having second thoughts about being a mother
(b) She wants more children because of the experience
(c) She wishes someone would take him for awhile
(d) She cannot imagine life without him
12. What event causes little Sam some emotional and physical distress?
(a) Getting a bath
(b) Breathing treatments
(d) An ear infection
13. When does Anne have a birthday celebration for Sam?
(a) When he is one month old
(b) When he is one year old
(c) When he is six months old
(d) When he is three weeks old
14. Who is Sam?
(a) The author's son
(b) A serial killer
(c) The author's neighbor
(d) The author's editor
15. What is Anne's greatest fear about having a child?
(a) That he will have to live through seventh and eighth grades
(b) That she does not have enough money
(c) That she cannot answer questions about religion
(d) That she cannot send him to college
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of parent will Anne soon become?
2. What is the source of Anne's comfort during difficult times?
3. What is Anne doing when Sam laughs for the first time?
4. In addition to Pammy, who serves as a labor coach for Anne
5. Anne resists the urge to eat ________________.
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)