* Operating Instructions is a series of diary entries made by the author about the first year of her son, Sam's, life.
* Anne is about to become a single parent.
* Anne does not fear the typical things that most pregnant women do.
* Anne's biggest fear for her child is enduring the seventh and eighth grades.
* In the hours before Sam's delivery, Anne is accompanied by her long-time friend, Pammy.
* Anne's brother, Steve, and Pammy serve as delivery coaches.
* Anne describes her son as "the most beautiful think I had ever seen."
* Anne wishes she had a husband to share the experience with.
* During Sam's first days at home, Anne lives in fear that Sam will be hurt or get sick.
* Anne takes Sam to church and the people are thrilled to meet Sam.
* Anne has a party to commemorate Sam's three-week birthday.
* Sam is colicky much of...
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)