|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the men believe no one is coming to rescue them?
2. In regards to the shark, what does the correspondent think he would not do in different circumstances?
3. When do the men plan to attempt making it to shore in Part 6?
4. Who falls asleep in the soggy boat in Part 6?
5. What is the oiler doing in Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the friendship between the four men affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the oiler being the only character who is named and the only character who dies?
Essay Topic 3
How is foreshadowing used in "The Open Boat"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
This section contains 175 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)