|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sun transform the ocean into in Part 2?
2. What happens as the men get closer to land?
3. What does the correspondent take turns doing with the oiler in Part 2?
4. Where is the lighthouse?
5. Who is exhaustion overtaking in Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the oiler takes the correspondent's place at the oars in Part 6, what does the captain tell the cook to do, and why?
2. When the boat is deluged again, what does the captain tell the others to do, and why?
3. What story does the correspondent recall reading?
4. What is the oiler doing in Part 1?
5. What are the four men doing in Part 5?
6. What does the captain finally spot near the end of Part 2?
7. Why is it important for the oiler and correspondent to retain their strength at the end of Part 6?
8. What is the captain doing in Part 1?
9. Describe the scene at the beginning of Part 1.
10. Who is the captain of the boat, and what is his crew comprised of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the ambiguous background information about the four men and their journey add to the plot? How does it hinder the plot?
Essay Topic 2
How are the different symbols (the sea, the lighthouse, the boat, etc.) used throughout the story to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the oiler being the only character who is named and the only character who dies?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)