|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men learn quickly?
2. What is the oiler doing at the beginning of the novel?
3. What makes the men feel the way they do about their current situation in Part 2?
4. Who is the crew on the tiny boat?
5. How do the men feel about the results gained from constructing the sail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the correspondent think about his time in the boat?
2. Describe the setting at the beginning of Part 5.
3. When the boat is deluged again, what does the captain tell the others to do, and why?
4. What are the men quickly learning in Part 1?
5. What do the four men wonder in Part 4, and what do they think that the people onshore may believe?
6. What would the men think if they could view their situation from a different vantage point?
7. What do the four men see at the beginning of Part 4, and what do they think is odd?
8. What is the captain doing in Part 1?
9. What thoughts do the four men refrain from sharing at the beginning of Part 6?
10. What does the correspondent see when he wakes at the beginning of Part 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would the story be different if the oiler had lived?
Essay Topic 2
How does the relationship between the four men affect the story's plot?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the four men. How are their relationships with nature similar and different?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)