|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 5, what does the only person who is awake listen to?
(a) The encouraging words of the people on shore.
(b) The sound of the shark's body bumping into the boat.
(c) The waves slapping against the boat.
(d) The wind blowing through his hair.
2. In Part 4, what are the men unaware of?
(a) That there is no life-saving station anywhere near where they are.
(b) The ship has a hole in it.
(c) No one can see them.
(d) They are being mocked by nature.
3. What did the recalled story mean to the reader at the time he read it?
(a) As heart-wrenching in its sadness and futility.
(c) He thought it was funny.
(d) It reminded him of someone he knew.
4. In regards to the shark, what does the correspondent think he would not do in different circumstances?
(a) Love the shark.
(b) Fear the shark.
(c) Curse the sea.
(d) Be jealous of the shark
5. Who falls asleep in the soggy boat in Part 6?
(a) The correspondent.
(b) The oiler.
(c) The captain.
(d) The cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who recalls a story he once read in Part 6?
2. What do the men finally see near the end of Part 4?
3. What does the correspondent curse?
4. What does the correspondent watch for in Part 5?
5. Who spots a watch fire on the beach in Part 6?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)