|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the recalled story mean to the reader at the time he read it?
(b) As heart-wrenching in its sadness and futility.
(c) It reminded him of someone he knew.
(d) He thought it was funny.
2. Who is the four men's only company in Part 5?
(a) The wind.
(b) The man from shore.
(c) A shark.
(d) The waves.
3. In Part 4, what are the men unaware of?
(a) They are being mocked by nature.
(b) That there is no life-saving station anywhere near where they are.
(c) No one can see them.
(d) The ship has a hole in it.
4. Why are the men unable to reach shore safely in Part 4?
(a) The water is too deep.
(b) They cannot even see the shore.
(c) They can reach shore safely now.
(d) They are too far away.
5. Why do the men believe no one is coming to rescue them?
(a) No one sees them.
(b) Coward or incompetence.
(d) No one cares about them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men see on shore at the beginning of Part 4?
2. In regards to the shark, what does the correspondent think he would not do in different circumstances?
3. What do the men need both the oiler and correspondent's strength for in Part 6?
4. What do the men do all afternoon after being deluged in Part 4?
5. What does the man onshore use to wave like a black flag?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)