|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4, what are the men unable to believe?
(a) That their boat has not sunk yet.
(b) That the sea will take them when they have come so close to shore.
(c) That they will remain friends with one another.
(d) That they will survive this adventure.
2. Who do the men think would be cruel to allow them to die?
(a) The men on shore.
(d) The captain.
3. Who is the four men's only company in Part 5?
(a) The man from shore.
(b) The waves.
(c) A shark.
(d) The wind.
4. Why are the men unable to reach shore safely in Part 4?
(a) They cannot even see the shore.
(b) The water is too deep.
(c) They are too far away.
(d) They can reach shore safely now.
5. What do the men see soon after the man onshore returns from the house?
(a) The lighthouse shining on them.
(b) A bonfire to light their way.
(c) Their families waving to them.
(d) An omnibus full of people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the men think it would be cruel if they die?
2. Who appears to be the main character in "The Open Boat"?
3. What did the recalled story mean to the reader at the time he read it?
4. Who hears the sound of the shark's powerful fin?
5. What hope appears in Part 5?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)