|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calms the dispute towards the end of Part 1?
(a) The oiler.
(b) The cook.
(c) The correspondent.
(d) The captain.
2. Who is forced into rowing again in Part 3?
(a) The oiler and the captain.
(b) The correspondent and the oiler.
(c) The correspondent and the captain.
(d) The cook and the captain.
3. What does the captain use to get rid of their intruders?
(a) An oar.
(b) His rifle.
(c) He cannot get rid of them.
(d) His good arm.
4. Near the end of Part 3, how long do the men guess it will now take them to reach shore?
(a) A day.
(b) An hour.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) A week.
5. What is the oiler doing at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Taking a nap.
(b) Constructing a makeshift sail.
(c) Eating dinner.
(d) Taking his turn with the oars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is on the boat besides the cook, oiler, and captain?
2. How do the men feel about the results gained from constructing the sail?
3. Why are the men forced into rowing again in Part 3?
4. What is the only thing the men can see at the book's beginning?
5. Who dampens the others' spirits in Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the four men construct a sail, and how?
2. What happens after the sail is constructed, and how do the four men feel about it?
3. As the correspondent reaches the shore, what does he see the oiler doing?
4. What role do the seagulls play in Part 2?
5. Who is the captain of the boat, and what is his crew comprised of?
6. How do the four men view the seagulls?
7. What thoughts do the four men refrain from sharing at the beginning of Part 6?
8. What does the correspondent see when he resurfaces after jumping from the boat?
9. What does the captain advise the others to do at the end of Part 3?
10. What is the result of the four men going without sleep for two days and nights?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)