|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What don't the men share with each other in Part 6?
(a) Their dire thoughts.
(b) Their food.
(c) Their fears.
(d) Their longing to return home.
2. What provides the only sound in Part 5?
(a) The men snoring.
(b) The people on shore.
(c) The water.
(d) The wind.
3. How does the reader now view the recalled story in Part 6?
(b) It reminds him of someone he knew.
(c) He thinks it is funny.
(d) As heart-wrenching in its sadness and futility.
4. What happens when the man onshore runs to a house?
(a) The four men on the boat cry.
(b) The four men on the boat dive into the sea and swim toward shore.
(c) Another man joins him in waving.
(d) He never returns.
5. Why are the men unable to reach shore safely in Part 4?
(a) The water is too deep.
(b) They are too far away.
(c) They can reach shore safely now.
(d) They cannot even see the shore.
6. In Part 4, what are the men unaware of?
(a) No one can see them.
(b) The ship has a hole in it.
(c) That there is no life-saving station anywhere near where they are.
(d) They are being mocked by nature.
7. What do the men think is odd in Part 4?
(a) That the waves are vicious.
(b) That no one sees them.
(c) That nature is indifferent.
(d) That the winds are calm.
8. What provides light for the men in Part 5?
(a) A candle lit by a match.
(b) The lighthouse.
(c) There is no light.
(d) A bonfire on shore.
9. Who spots a watch fire on the beach in Part 6?
(a) The captain.
(b) The cook.
(c) The correspondent.
(d) The oiler.
10. Why do the men need to head for shore in Part 4?
(a) Because it is dinner time and their families have meals prepared for them.
(b) Because the boat is being destroyed by the waves and is going to sink.
(c) Because people are waving to them.
(d) Because soon they will be too exhausted to swim even if they do get close.
11. What is the cook doing in Part 5?
12. What do the men do all afternoon after being deluged in Part 4?
(a) Yell for help.
(b) Take turns rowing.
(c) Mourn their fates.
(d) Laugh in the face of adversity.
13. What is the captain doing in Part 5?
14. How does the correspondent show great character in Part 5?
(a) By rowing continually.
(b) By letting the others sleep while he faces danger alone.
(c) By allowing the captain to eat his portion of their dinner.
(d) He does not show great character in Part 5.
15. Whose point of view is Part 5 of "The Open Boat" told from?
(a) The oiler's.
(b) The cook's.
(c) The captain's.
(d) The correspondent's.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, why is the correspondent the only one who is scared by the shark?
2. Who is ordered to make the sail again in Part 6?
3. What is the correspondent doing in Part 5?
4. What would the correspondent give almost anything for near the end of Part 5?
5. What do the men do since they are unable to reach shore safely in Part 4?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)