|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hope appears in Part 5?
(a) The lighthouse.
(b) The winds quiet.
(c) A lifesaving boat.
2. How does the correspondent show great character in Part 5?
(a) By allowing the captain to eat his portion of their dinner.
(b) He does not show great character in Part 5.
(c) By letting the others sleep while he faces danger alone.
(d) By rowing continually.
3. What is the correspondent doing in Part 5?
4. What can the men do about the shark?
(a) Be its dinner.
(b) Laugh at it.
(d) Kill it.
5. Who wishes for different company near the end of Part 5?
(a) The captain.
(b) The oiler.
(c) The correspondent.
(d) The cook.
6. What happens when the man onshore runs to a house?
(a) Another man joins him in waving.
(b) He never returns.
(c) The four men on the boat dive into the sea and swim toward shore.
(d) The four men on the boat cry.
7. Who died in the story recalled in Part 6?
(a) A Legionnaire.
(b) A mother.
(c) A priest.
(d) A correspondent.
8. Whose point of view is Part 5 of "The Open Boat" told from?
(a) The correspondent's.
(b) The cook's.
(c) The oiler's.
(d) The captain's.
9. In Part 5, who does the correspondent wish would wake up?
(a) The cook.
(b) The captain.
(c) The shark.
(d) One of his friends.
10. What do the men wonder about as they head toward shore in Part 4 ?
(a) Why he has come so close to shore if he is going to be drowned.
(b) Why they cannot swim like the fish.
(c) Who will win the bet about the exact hour that they will reach shore.
(d) Whether they will see their families again.
11. Since the four men on the boat have now been seen, what do think they think will surely happen very soon?
(a) Someone will swim out to sea to rescue them.
(b) They will have to swim to shore.
(c) They will die.
(d) Someone will come with a lifeboat.
12. Why do the men have to take the boat back out to sea in Part 4?
(a) They forgot one of the men at sea.
(b) They are suddenly deluged again.
(c) They do not take the boat back out to sea.
(d) They realize they are at the wrong island.
13. Who is the four men's only company in Part 5?
(a) The wind.
(b) The waves.
(c) A shark.
(d) The man from shore.
14. Who appears to be the main character in "The Open Boat"?
(a) The correspondent.
(b) The cook.
(c) The oiler.
(d) The captain.
15. When do the men plan to attempt making it to shore in Part 6?
(a) In two days.
(b) In the morning.
(c) Within a week.
(d) In an hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men finally see near the end of Part 4?
2. What don't the men share with each other in Part 6?
3. Where did the character in the recalled story die?
4. What do all of the men think about in Part 6?
5. What did the recalled story mean to the reader at the time he read it?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)