|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men see soon after the man onshore returns from the house?
(a) The lighthouse shining on them.
(b) Their families waving to them.
(c) An omnibus full of people.
(d) A bonfire to light their way.
2. In Part 6, what is the correspondent told to do?
(a) Stop looking at the watchfire.
(b) Take a nap.
(c) Switch positions with the oiler.
(d) Take the boat a little further out to sea.
3. Whose point of view is Part 5 of "The Open Boat" told from?
(a) The cook's.
(b) The oiler's.
(c) The correspondent's.
(d) The captain's.
4. What did the recalled story mean to the reader at the time he read it?
(a) It reminded him of someone he knew.
(c) As heart-wrenching in its sadness and futility.
(d) He thought it was funny.
5. Who is ordered to make the sail again in Part 6?
(a) The cook.
(b) The captain.
(c) The oiler.
(d) The correspondent.
6. What is the oiler doing in Part 5?
7. When do the men plan to attempt making it to shore in Part 6?
(a) Within a week.
(b) In an hour.
(c) In two days.
(d) In the morning.
8. What provides the only sound in Part 5?
(a) The wind.
(b) The people on shore.
(c) The water.
(d) The men snoring.
9. What circles the boat?
(c) Another boat.
(d) A shark.
10. Why do the men have to take the boat back out to sea in Part 4?
(a) They are suddenly deluged again.
(b) They do not take the boat back out to sea.
(c) They realize they are at the wrong island.
(d) They forgot one of the men at sea.
11. In Part 4, who tells the men to take the boat back out to sea?
(a) The oiler.
(b) The cook.
(c) The correspondent.
(d) The captain.
12. In Part 5, why is the correspondent the only one who is scared by the shark?
(a) Because he is the only one awake.
(b) Because he is the only one who is not used to the sea.
(c) Because it is a figment of his imagination.
(d) Because he is the only one in the water.
13. What is the correspondent doing in Part 5?
14. Who died in the story recalled in Part 6?
(a) A correspondent.
(b) A Legionnaire.
(c) A priest.
(d) A mother.
15. What do the men wonder about as they head out toward deeper water in Part 4?
(a) Why no one has tried to find them.
(b) They do not head out toward deeper water.
(c) Why Nature is so cruel.
(d) Why the captain insists upon going out to deeper water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the captain doing in Part 5?
2. Since the four men on the boat have now been seen, what do think they think will surely happen very soon?
3. Who says that they may as well head for shore in Part 4?
4. Who stops the correspondent's watch of the object in Part 6?
5. What does the man onshore do?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)