|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the four men headed?
(b) It is not explained.
(c) North America.
(d) The Bahamas.
2. What is in better view towards the end of Part 3?
(a) The waves.
(b) The sun.
(c) The lighthouse.
3. How long has it been since the four men have slept?
(a) A week.
(b) Two days and nights.
(c) Four days.
(d) A few hours.
4. Who rows with the correspondent?
(a) The captain.
(b) The cook.
(c) The oiler.
(d) The correspondent.
5. What curls over the men?
(a) The rough wind.
(c) A warm blanket.
(d) Mountain-sized waves.
6. How does the object in Part 2 taunt the men?
(a) By reminding them of their impending deaths.
(b) By making them hungry.
(c) By reminding them that the shore is far away.
(d) The seaweed does not taunt the men.
7. What do the waves seem determined to do?
(a) The waves do not seem determined.
(b) Escort the men to safety on land.
(c) Drown the dingy.
(d) Sweep the captain out of the boat and into the sea.
8. Why are these four men on the tiny boat?
(a) They were out fishing and got caught in the storm.
(b) They are returning from an expedition for gold.
(c) Their ship was destroyed by pirates.
(d) It is not explained.
9. What aims at the captain's head?
10. What do the men use as a mast?
(a) An oar.
(b) One of the men.
(c) A mast.
(d) A mop.
11. Who dampens the others' spirits in Part 3?
(a) The captain.
(b) The correspondent.
(c) The cook.
(d) The oiler.
12. What is the only thing the men can see at the book's beginning?
(a) The lighthouse at Mosquito Inlet.
(b) The shark circling the boat.
(c) The slate color of the water.
(d) The clouds in the sky.
13. What do the men construct in Part 3 that yields immediate results?
(a) Complaining about their circumstances.
(b) The sail.
(c) Fishing for dinner.
(d) Yelling for help.
14. Who is exhaustion overtaking in Part 3?
(a) The correspondent and the oiler.
(b) The two rowers and the man doing the bailing.
(c) The two rowers and the captain.
(d) The cook and the captain.
15. Why do the four men become the most loyal of friends?
(a) They are very alike.
(b) They have always been loyal friends.
(c) They do not.
(d) Their current circumstances.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men realize when the water changes from gray to emerald green?
2. What begins to dart at the men?
3. Who silently marks their adventure as the best experience that he has ever had?
4. Who advises the others not to overdo it?
5. What are the men facing in Part 2?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)