|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does each man finally catch a glimpse of after constructing the sail?
(a) The waves.
(b) The sun.
(c) The lighthouse.
2. What do the men use as a sail?
(a) A blanket.
(b) The captain's overcoat.
(c) A tarp.
(d) A sail.
3. Who first spots a lighthouse?
(a) The cook.
(b) The captain.
(c) The correspondent.
(d) The oiler.
4. What is the boat comparable to in size?
(a) A house.
(b) A sofa.
(c) A bathtub.
(d) A mountain.
5. What do the men construct in Part 3 that yields immediate results?
(a) Complaining about their circumstances.
(b) Fishing for dinner.
(c) The sail.
(d) Yelling for help.
6. Whose nature is naturally more cynical than the others'?
(a) The correspondent.
(b) The oiler.
(c) The cook.
(d) The captain.
7. What do the waves threaten to do?
(a) Calm down.
(b) Drown the boat.
(c) Beat the boat into the rocks.
(d) Sweep the men out to sea.
8. How long do the oiler and correspondent take turns rowing in Part 2?
(a) For over a week.
(b) For three days.
(c) For nearly a month.
(d) For quite some time.
9. What would make the men see their situation as glorious?
(a) They do see it as glorious.
(b) Absolutely nothing.
(c) Viewing it from a vantage point.
(d) Escaping from it.
10. What suggests the men have been on a noteworthy trip?
(a) Their eagerness to reach safety.
(b) Their nice clothes.
(c) The presence of the correspondent.
(d) The presence of the captain.
11. What is the oiler doing at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Taking his turn with the oars.
(b) Taking a nap.
(c) Constructing a makeshift sail.
(d) Eating dinner.
12. What does the captain remind the other men?
(a) That they are going to die.
(b) That they must rest.
(c) That they are nearly out of food.
(d) That they will reach the shore.
13. What does the captain do in Part 1?
(a) Construct a makeshift sail.
(b) Row the boat with both oars.
(c) Keep up the direction and moral support.
(d) Complain about his injuries.
14. What begins to dart at the men?
15. Who is forced into rowing again in Part 3?
(a) The correspondent and the oiler.
(b) The cook and the captain.
(c) The correspondent and the captain.
(d) The oiler and the captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which man's life is not of the sea?
2. What aims at the captain's head?
3. What are the men facing in Part 2?
4. What do the men learn quickly?
5. What does the captain use to get rid of their intruders?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)