|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men realize when the water changes from gray to emerald green?
(a) That it is nighttime.
(b) That it must be daylight.
(c) That the storm has lifted.
(d) That the storm has arrived.
2. What floats by to taunt the men?
(c) A message in a bottle.
(d) A jacket.
3. Where are the four men headed?
(a) North America.
(b) It is not explained.
(c) The Bahamas.
4. Who is on the boat besides the cook, oiler, and captain?
(a) The oiler.
(b) The captain.
(c) The correspondent.
(d) The cook.
5. What begins to dart at the men?
6. What is temporarily buoyed by the sight of the lighthouse?
(a) The men's spirits.
(c) The boat.
(d) The wind.
7. Who calms the dispute towards the end of Part 1?
(a) The cook.
(b) The captain.
(c) The oiler.
(d) The correspondent.
8. What does the sun transform the ocean into in Part 2?
(a) A friendly acquaintance.
(b) A warm bath.
(c) A spectacular light show.
(d) A nightmarish deathtrap.
9. How do the men feel when the intruders leave?
10. What do the men construct in Part 3 that yields immediate results?
(a) The sail.
(b) Fishing for dinner.
(c) Complaining about their circumstances.
(d) Yelling for help.
11. How long has it been since the four men have slept?
(a) Two days and nights.
(b) Four days.
(c) A week.
(d) A few hours.
12. What do the men learn quickly?
(a) That with each crashing wave, there is another one right on its wake.
(b) That they cannot construct a sail.
(c) That they are near land.
(d) That they will never reach land.
13. What do the men use as a sail?
(a) The captain's overcoat.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A tarp.
(d) A sail.
14. What determines the gravity of a situation?
(a) The age of the people involved.
(b) Perspective and view.
(d) The danger.
15. What is in better view towards the end of Part 3?
(a) The waves.
(b) The sun.
(c) The lighthouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is being rocked as the novel opens?
2. What do the men use as a mast?
3. Who takes two oars first?
4. Which man's life is not of the sea?
5. What do the men search the shoreline for?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)