1. Describe the scene at the beginning of Part 1.
At the beginning of Part 1, the scene shows four men sit in a tiny boat, about the size of a bathtub, which is being rocked by waves threatening to drown it. The men row for their lives in the slate colored water, topped with white caps.
2. What do the men see as they row for their lives in Part 1?
As the men row for their lives in Part 1, they can only see the slate color of the water, topped off by white caps.
3. Why does the chance of survival seem optimistic at best?
The men's chance of survival seems optimistic at best due to the ferocity of the storm and the minuscule size of their vessel.
4. What is the oiler doing in Part 1?
In Part 1, the oiler is taking his turn rowing the oars.
5. What is the cook doing in Part 1?
In Part 1, the cook is bailing the water that continues to pour in over the sides.
(read all 60 Short Essay Questions and Answers)
This section contains 2,465 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)