|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men realize when the water changes from gray to emerald green?
(a) That it is nighttime.
(b) That the storm has arrived.
(c) That it must be daylight.
(d) That the storm has lifted.
2. Who is on the boat besides the cook, oiler, and captain?
(a) The captain.
(b) The oiler.
(c) The cook.
(d) The correspondent.
3. What is the oiler doing at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Constructing a makeshift sail.
(b) Taking a nap.
(c) Eating dinner.
(d) Taking his turn with the oars.
4. Who is trying to figure out what he is doing on the boat?
(a) The cook.
(b) The correspondent.
(c) The captain.
(d) The oiler.
5. What does the oiler say near the end of Part 1?
(a) That they will soon be rescued.
(b) That he would rather be dead than continue this struggle.
(c) That it is too early to worry about either a life-saving station or a house of refuge.
(d) That he cannot row any longer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the men row?
2. What is the boat comparable to in size?
3. How did the injured character sustain his injuries?
4. Who loses concept of time?
5. What do the waves threaten to do?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)