|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Lust for Gold, Lust for Silver.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what purpose, according to Bernal Diaz del Castillo, did the Spanish come to Mexico?
(a) To build houses and start a new civilization.
(b) To learn of the native peoples of the strange new land.
(c) To serve God and His Majesty and also to get riches.
(d) To bring the natives European literature and guns.
2. What resources caused the boom of the Minas Gerais region?
(a) Oil and water.
(b) Tin and iron.
(c) Gold and diamonds.
(d) Silver and crystal.
3. Who was Aleijadinho?
(a) A Portuguese merchant who exported gold from Brazil.
(b) The governor of Minas Gerais.
(c) One of the greatest artists in Brazil's history, nicknamed "Little Cripple."
(d) A Brazilian slave who worked in the diamond mines.
4. Who usually financed the conquistadors' expeditions?
(a) England's monarch.
(b) The state or government.
(c) The native peoples of the New World.
(d) Businessmen or the conquistadors themselves.
5. How much silver was retained in the Spanish economy from 1540-1550?
(a) Almost none: the silver went to pay Spain's debts to other countries.
(b) About half: the silver stimulated Spain's economy while also paying off the country's debt.
(c) Exactly one-fourth: the numbers are recorded with exact precision.
(d) Almost all: the silver stayed in Spain an made the country rich.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Spanish city was reconquered in 1492 under the reign of Ferdinand and Isabella?
2. What resource was at the center of the city of Potosi's prosperity?
3. What are the origins of the Indian women's style of dress?
4. Where did Columbus think he had landed, even during his third voyage?
5. Who was Tupac Amaru?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)