|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old does Julius say he was when his father died?
2. While Julius watches the snowflakes come down after meeting with his accountant in Chapter 13, he feels a furious sense of what?
3. How does Julius characterize his grandfather’s status in Nigeria?
(a) Inconsequential laborer.
(b) Local official.
(c) Power broker.
(d) Respected craftsman.
4. What does Julius say he has a hard time believing about people who lived before the twenty-first century?
(a) That they had the same souls as people today.
(b) That they lived to old age.
(c) That they had their own teeth past early adulthood.
(d) That they were fully people.
5. What topic does Dr. Saito ask Julius to read the complete articles about, instead of stopping after two paragraphs?
(a) Palestinian rights.
(b) Environmental activism.
(c) Gay marriage.
(d) The economy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julius say the Statue of Liberty served as until 1902?
2. Where is John Musson’s apartment, that Julius goes to the party Moji invites him to?
3. What does Moji say she actively worries about, during the picnic in Central Park?
4. What is the white man teaching the Asian woman in the diner where Julius sees them in Chapter 18?
5. How does Julius prepare himself for winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the vision Julius has while he is sitting in the park, watching the starlings?
2. What does Julius know about Dr. Saito’s relationship history, and how does he know it?
3. What happens to Julius when he forgets to bring his checkbook to the accountant, and why is it disturbing?
4. How does Julius react to Dr. Saito’s death?
5. What is the leap in time and setting that has taken place between chapters 20 and 21?
6. What is Julius’ relationship like with the character he never names, but simply calls “my friend” (179)?
7. How does Julius respond when Moji tells Julius that she has never forgotten him sexually assaulting her when they were students?
8. What does the monument to the negro burial ground make Julius think about the reality of people in the past?
9. How does Julius kill half an hour when he is early to meet Dr. Maillotte?
10. Why has Julius missed Dr. Saito’s death?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)