|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Julius treating M. for?
(c) Suicidal thoughts.
2. What is Dr. Maillotte’s field of medicine?
(a) Gastrointestinal surgery.
3. How does Julius characterize Saidu’s narrative?
(a) Like a trickle of information.
(b) Like a unblocked aquifer.
(c) Like a cautious testimony.
(d) Like an avalanche of information.
4. How does Julius characterize Brussels’ strategy for surviving the second world war?
(c) Remaining neutral.
5. What is Julius treating V. for?
(b) Multiple personality disorder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julius ransack his parents house looking for, while his mother is gone, in the childhood he remembers?
2. What does Julius not end up having to tell the woman he has sex with in Brussels?
3. What was Julius’ friend Dr. Saito’s field of study?
4. Where had Julius’ mother been born?
5. What kind of weather does Julius escape when he goes into the American Folk Art Museum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What political controversy is playing out when Julius arrives in Brussels?
2. How does Julius explain his split with Nadège?
3. What is the scene Julius remembers from Dr. Gupta’s house, while he is watching The Last King of Scotland?
4. What are Julius’ thoughts on the weather and global warming?
5. How does the incident in which Musibau accused Julius of stealing his paper ultimately work in Julius’ favor?
6. What stereotype does Dr. Maillotte, the woman who sits next to Julius on the plane to Brussels, hold about Nigerians, and how does Julius respond to her cast-typing?
7. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Teju Cole’s internal, peripatetic style in Open City?
8. What are Farouq’s two projects?
9. At the book's beginning, why does the narrator says that he goes for long walks?
10. How does Farouq surprise Julius?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)