|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Julius characterize the effect Mahler’s symphony has on him?
(a) It filled his heart with light.
(b) It stills his thoughts.
(c) It floods his heart with feelings.
(d) It fills him with visions.
2. What does Dr. Saito die of?
(a) Heart attack.
3. Where is John Musson’s apartment, that Julius goes to the party Moji invites him to?
(b) Morningside Heights.
(d) Washington Heights.
4. What does Moji say she actively worries about, during the picnic in Central Park?
(a) The environment.
(b) The inner cities.
(c) The climate.
(d) The economy.
5. What do Julius’ thoughts about the Africans he had seen in Le Panais make him think about the cleaning woman in the church?
(a) That she might have been a killer in Africa.
(b) That she might be seeking refuge in the church.
(c) That she might be dreaming of fleeing Belgium.
(d) That she might be in Brussels to forget.
6. Which postmodern writer’s story about a giant, 1:1 map of New York city does Julius think about having read?
7. What does Julius say he is more likely to do in the months of March, April and May?
(b) Visit museums.
(c) Seek out the company of others.
(d) Put in long hours at work.
8. What is the source of the dissonance in the organ music in Notre Dame?
(a) A workman’s boom box.
(b) A vacuum cleaner.
(c) A workman’s power tools.
(d) A floor waxing machine.
9. How does Julius characterize his grandfather’s status in Nigeria?
(a) Respected craftsman.
(b) Inconsequential laborer.
(c) Power broker.
(d) Local official.
10. Flying back to New York, Julius remembers having seen the city from a similar vantage point: when looking a vast scale model of the city. Where was that scale model exhibited?
(a) The Louvre.
(b) The Smithsonian.
(c) 1964 World’s Fair.
(d) 1939 World’s Fair.
11. Whom does Moji say she has told about the time Julius forced himself on her?
(a) Her boyfriend at the time.
(b) John Musson.
(c) Her brother.
(d) No one.
12. How does Julius characterize the gait of the two boys who beat him up?
(a) Like sharks.
(b) Like athletes.
(c) Like girls.
(d) Like soldiers.
13. How does Moji say Julius acted in the days and weeks after he forced himself on her?
(a) He was aggressive and out of control.
(b) He acted as if it had not happened.
(c) He was guilty and tried to apologize.
(d) He was sullen with flashes of anger.
14. How old does Julius say his father was when he died?
15. When Julius goes to see Dr. Saito in the beginning of Chapter 14, what is Dr. Saito having a hard time with?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julius say Americans have exhausted themselves with, during the picnic in Central Park?
2. How long after Julius’ visit to Dr. Saito does Julius get a call saying that Dr. Saito has died?
3. Who does Julius feel watched by as he goes to the post office in Chapter 16?
4. How does Julius characterize his personality during the picnic in Central Park?
5. What is most of the news about, that Julius reads to Dr. Saito?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)