|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Sal and Dean decide to travel in 1949?
2. What do Sal and Dean do while bar-hopping in Denver?
3. Where do Dean and Sal stay in Detroit?
4. What is Sal and Dean's plan before they take their second trip in 1949?
5. Where does Dean learn his father is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Dean meet at a party in New York?
2. Why does Dean want to take the trip with Sal and Stan?
3. Who are the other passengers in the travel bureau car that belongs to a wealthy man in Chicago?
4. What place do Dean and Sal plan to travel to where they have never been before?
5. What arrives in San Francisco that allows Sal to return to New York?
6. What happens to Stan on the way to Mexico?
7. What does Old Bull think is a sign from Sal's father?
8. What happens when Sal and Dean return the travel bureau car in Chicago?
9. What does Dean do when he, Sal, and Marylou arrive in San Francisco?
10. What happens between Sal and Marylou in San Francisco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a. Why is being on the road so important to the Beat Movement?
b. What transformations or epiphanies do the following characters have, if any, after being "on the road"? Cite specific examples from the book.
- Sal Paradise
- Dean Moriarty
- Ed Dunkel
- Stan Shepherd
Essay Topic 2
On the Road depicts counterculture in 1950s America.
a. How do the main characters exemplify counterculture in the novel?
b. Why were they considered counterculture at the time?
c. Would they still be considered counterculture today?
Essay Topic 3
In Des Moines, Sal experiences the distinction of the East of his youth and the West of his future.
a. What does the West represent to Sal?
b. Contrast his life when he is living on the east coast and when he is living out west.
c. How have his voyages changed his views on life?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)