|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sal's arrival at Dean and Camille's house signify?
2. What is one of the things Sal and Dean discuss before Dean departs West to see Camille and his children?
3. Where does Dean learn his father is?
4. How does Sal get the money to leave San Francisco for the second time?
5. What does Sal do in Part 3, when the other passengers criticize Dean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sal do to put a damper on the friendship with Dean and Camille?
2. What does Old Bull think is a sign from Sal's father?
3. Whose ranch do Sal, Dean, and the two passengers visit in Colorado?
4. What happens when Sal and Dean return the travel bureau car in Chicago?
5. What happens when Dean returns to see Sal at the hotel?
6. Who does Dean meet at a party in New York?
7. How does a wealthy woman assist Sal in Denver?
8. What happens to Sal, Dean, and Marylou's car in Texas?
9. What does Camille do to Dean and Sal in the spring of 1949?
10. What is happening in Dean and Camille's lives when Sal visits them in San Francisco in the spring of 1949?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Post-World War II America was very insular by turning inward and focusing on internal issues and families. How does Beat society compare to post-World War II America?
Essay Topic 2
Jazz music is an underlying theme in On the Road.
a. Describe the role of jazz in the Beat movement.
b. Describe how jazz influences how On the Road was written.
Essay Topic 3
a. What are Sal and Dean's views on authority and authority figures? How can they live their lives in absence of authority?
b. What are Sal and Dean rebelling against?
c. How do Sal, Dean, and their friends rebel against what they oppose?
Cite specific examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)