|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Sam Brady deliver to Dean?
2. How does Dean greet Sal when he arrives at his door step in 1949?
3. What are Sal and Dean's travel companions' reactions when it is Dean's turn to take the wheel of the vehicle?
4. In Part 3, what do Sal and Dean's travel companions to Denver want to do in Sacramento?
5. What does Sal do in Part 3, when the other passengers criticize Dean?
Essay Topic 1
a. Are middle-class American values compatible with being Beat or does an individual need to pick one over the other?
b. Do Sal and Dean change their values or way of life depending on their circumstances, or do they hold true to their beliefs? Cite examples from the book.
c. What were some challenges to the Beat way of life that Sal faced and how did he handle them? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
There are conflicting views about Dean Moriarty. One is that he has a zest for life and the other is that he is crazy. What is your opinion on these views?
Support your answer with specific evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
A connotation of the term, Beat Generation, means that they were discouraged or down and out.
a. Do you think the characters in On the Road fit this definition?
b. What connotation(s) of the term Beat Generation do you think the characters exemplify and why?
Cite specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)