|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Camille finds out about Inez?
2. What does Sal's arrival at Dean and Camille's house signify?
3. What plans do Sal and Stan make during Sal's last trip to Denver?
4. Who does Dean seek out in Denver?
5. Where does Sal decide to travel after his second trip to San Francisco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sometimes individuals or groups who refuse to adjust to mainstream society experience penalties for their decision. Do Sal and his friends experience any negative effects from those who are in mainstream America?
Cite specific examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
In American culture, starting as early as the Lewis and Clark Expedition and the California Gold Rush, California is viewed as the land of hope and promise.
a. Explain how California is viewed by Okies and Mexican immigrants in On the Road.
b. Explain how it is viewed by Sal Paradise.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of time in On the Road and include the various views of time to the following groups:
a. Beat time.
b. American time.
c. Mexican time.
d. African-American/jazz time.
e. Dean Moriarty and time.
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)