|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dean's job in San Francisco?
2. Where do Sal and Marylou stay in San Francisco?
3. Where do Sal, Dean, and Marylou drop Alfred off?
4. Who do Sal and Dean travel with on their 1949 trip to Denver?
5. What happens during Sal, Stan, and Dean's stay in San Antonio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arrives in San Francisco that allows Sal to return to New York?
2. Why does Dean want to take the trip with Sal and Stan?
3. Why are the car owner and the couple all too happy to drop Sal and Dean off in Denver?
4. What does Old Bull think is a sign from Sal's father?
5. What happens between Sal and Marylou in San Francisco?
6. What does Dean's cousin, Sam Brady, tell Dean when he was attempting to locate his father in Denver?
7. How do Sal, Dean, and Marylou get money so they can make it from Arizona to California?
8. What does Sal do to put a damper on the friendship with Dean and Camille?
9. What happens to Sal in Mexico City?
10. What happens to Stan on the way to Mexico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sal has views about different groups who were marginalized in mid-20th century America. What are his views on these groups? Are there any differences among categories of people? If so, why? Cite specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In Des Moines, Sal experiences the distinction of the East of his youth and the West of his future.
a. What does the West represent to Sal?
b. Contrast his life when he is living on the east coast and when he is living out west.
c. How have his voyages changed his views on life?
Essay Topic 3
A connotation of the term, Beat Generation, means that they were discouraged or down and out.
a. Do you think the characters in On the Road fit this definition?
b. What connotation(s) of the term Beat Generation do you think the characters exemplify and why?
Cite specific examples from the book.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)