|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dean referring to when he tells Sal that "God has arrived"?
2. What does Sal do in Part 3, when the other passengers criticize Dean?
3. Who does the travel bureau car that Sal and Dean drive from Denver to Chicago belong to?
4. What does Sal consider a sign that he and Dean need to leave Denver?
5. How does their friend assist Sal, Dean, and Stan in Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Dean returns to see Sal at the hotel?
2. Who does Dean meet at a party in New York?
3. What does Sal do to put a damper on the friendship with Dean and Camille?
4. Why does Dean want to take the trip with Sal and Stan?
5. What happens to Stan on the way to Mexico?
6. How does a wealthy woman assist Sal in Denver?
7. What decision did the other passengers override Sal and Dean on in Sacramento?
8. What happens between Sal and Marylou in San Francisco?
9. Who do Sal and Dean ride with in a travel bureau car from San Francisco to Denver?
10. Where do Sal, Dean, and Stan Shepherd travel in Part 4 of On the Road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On the Road depicts counterculture in 1950s America.
a. How do the main characters exemplify counterculture in the novel?
b. Why were they considered counterculture at the time?
c. Would they still be considered counterculture today?
Essay Topic 2
A connotation of the term, Beat Generation, means that they were discouraged or down and out.
a. Do you think the characters in On the Road fit this definition?
b. What connotation(s) of the term Beat Generation do you think the characters exemplify and why?
Cite specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
a. Why is being on the road so important to the Beat Movement?
b. What transformations or epiphanies do the following characters have, if any, after being "on the road"? Cite specific examples from the book.
- Sal Paradise
- Dean Moriarty
- Ed Dunkel
- Stan Shepherd
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)