|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, who takes the wheel of the vehicle that Dean and Sal are riding in while in Sacramento?
2. Where does Dean take Sal to stay in San Francisco?
3. How does Sal justify Dean's behavior to Old Bull Lee?
4. What is the best time of day for Old Bull?
5. What personal news does Dean share with Sal and Stan in Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Sal and Dean ride with in a travel bureau car from San Francisco to Denver?
2. What does Dean do when he, Sal, and Marylou arrive in San Francisco?
3. Why are the car owner and the couple all too happy to drop Sal and Dean off in Denver?
4. What does Old Bull think is a sign from Sal's father?
5. What happens when Sal and Dean return the travel bureau car in Chicago?
6. Who does Dean meet at a party in New York?
7. What arrives in San Francisco that allows Sal to return to New York?
8. What decision did the other passengers override Sal and Dean on in Sacramento?
9. What does Sal do to put a damper on the friendship with Dean and Camille?
10. What is happening in Dean and Camille's lives when Sal visits them in San Francisco in the spring of 1949?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jazz music is an underlying theme in On the Road.
a. Describe the role of jazz in the Beat movement.
b. Describe how jazz influences how On the Road was written.
Essay Topic 2
There are conflicting views about Dean Moriarty. One is that he has a zest for life and the other is that he is crazy. What is your opinion on these views?
Support your answer with specific evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
A connotation of the term, Beat Generation, means that they were discouraged or down and out.
a. Do you think the characters in On the Road fit this definition?
b. What connotation(s) of the term Beat Generation do you think the characters exemplify and why?
Cite specific examples from the book.
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)