|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Dean and Sal get to Denver in Part 3?
2. What does Marylou admit to Sal after they arrive in San Francisco?
3. What does Sal do in Texas to get money to buy gas?
4. What do Sal and Dean discuss while traveling from Sacramento to Denver?
5. How does Dean greet Sal when he arrives at his door step in 1949?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dean do when he, Sal, and Marylou arrive in San Francisco?
2. What does Dean's cousin, Sam Brady, tell Dean when he was attempting to locate his father in Denver?
3. Who are the other passengers in the travel bureau car that belongs to a wealthy man in Chicago?
4. What happens when Sal and Dean return the travel bureau car in Chicago?
5. Who do Sal and Dean ride with in a travel bureau car from San Francisco to Denver?
6. What arrives in San Francisco that allows Sal to return to New York?
7. How do Sal, Dean, and Marylou get money so they can make it from Arizona to California?
8. What place do Dean and Sal plan to travel to where they have never been before?
9. What does Camille do to Dean and Sal in the spring of 1949?
10. What decision did the other passengers override Sal and Dean on in Sacramento?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Post-World War II America was very insular by turning inward and focusing on internal issues and families. How does Beat society compare to post-World War II America?
Essay Topic 2
In American culture, starting as early as the Lewis and Clark Expedition and the California Gold Rush, California is viewed as the land of hope and promise.
a. Explain how California is viewed by Okies and Mexican immigrants in On the Road.
b. Explain how it is viewed by Sal Paradise.
Essay Topic 3
Sometimes individuals or groups who refuse to adjust to mainstream society experience penalties for their decision. Do Sal and his friends experience any negative effects from those who are in mainstream America?
Cite specific examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)