|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dean's reaction to his passengers being terrified of his driving on his trip from Denver to Chicago?
2. What does Old Bull think is a sign from Sal's deceased father?
3. What is Sal and Dean's plan before they take their second trip in 1949?
4. What is the best time of day for Old Bull?
5. What are Sal and Dean's travel companions' reactions to dropping Sal and Dean off at their stop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friends play a significant role in Sal Paradise's life.
a. As a result of a rift among his friends, Sal is torn between the more established and secure types, like Chad King, and the more frenzied Dean Moriarty and Carlo Marx. How does being torn between friends represent Sal's inner conflicts between being established or rebellious?
b. How do relationships with friends function in Beat culture?
Essay Topic 2
In American culture, starting as early as the Lewis and Clark Expedition and the California Gold Rush, California is viewed as the land of hope and promise.
a. Explain how California is viewed by Okies and Mexican immigrants in On the Road.
b. Explain how it is viewed by Sal Paradise.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two central characters in On the Road, Sal Paradise and Dean Moriarty, on the following:
a. The idea of being on the road.
b. The role of their fathers in their lives.
c. Their attitudes toward women.
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)