|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Sal in Mexico City?
2. How does Sal feel after Dean confides in Sal about his reaction to their fight?
3. What do Sal and Dean do while bar-hopping in Denver?
4. Who is Marylou's new boyfriend in San Francisco?
5. How does Dean greet Sal when he arrives at his door step in 1949?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Sal, Dean, and Marylou get money so they can make it from Arizona to California?
2. What does Camille do to Dean and Sal in the spring of 1949?
3. What happens when Dean returns to see Sal at the hotel?
4. Why are the car owner and the couple all too happy to drop Sal and Dean off in Denver?
5. What does Old Bull think is a sign from Sal's father?
6. What happens to Stan on the way to Mexico?
7. Who do Sal and Dean ride with in a travel bureau car from San Francisco to Denver?
8. What happens when Sal and Dean return the travel bureau car in Chicago?
9. Whose ranch do Sal, Dean, and the two passengers visit in Colorado?
10. What happens between Sal and Marylou in San Francisco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A connotation of the term, Beat Generation, means that they were discouraged or down and out.
a. Do you think the characters in On the Road fit this definition?
b. What connotation(s) of the term Beat Generation do you think the characters exemplify and why?
Cite specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Sal has views about different groups who were marginalized in mid-20th century America. What are his views on these groups? Are there any differences among categories of people? If so, why? Cite specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
a. Are middle-class American values compatible with being Beat or does an individual need to pick one over the other?
b. Do Sal and Dean change their values or way of life depending on their circumstances, or do they hold true to their beliefs? Cite examples from the book.
c. What were some challenges to the Beat way of life that Sal faced and how did he handle them? Cite examples from the book.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)