|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city does Sal end the "ride of his life'?
2. What job does Dean find after Sal first meets him in New York?
3. What New York hitchhiker does Sal meet in Des Moines?
4. Why do Sal and Dean take a quick trip from Virginia to New Jersey?
5. After Sal leaves Terry, he rides a bus from Los Angeles to which city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sal's aunt do when Dean is given a speeding ticket?
2. Why does Dean Moriarty visit Sal at his aunt's house in Patterson, New Jersey?
3. What does Old Bull Lee warn Sal about in New Orleans?
4. Who is "The Ghost?"
5. How does Sal react after he introduces Dean Moriarty to Carlo Marx?
6. Who do Dean, Marylou, and Ed Dunkel leave in Tucson and why?
7. Who does Sal meet on the bus from Bakersfield to Los Angeles?
8. Why does Sal want to leave Denver?
9. What do Sal, Ray Rawlins, and others do in an old mining town outside of Denver?
10. What does Dean inform the group about at a party where Carlo is reading his poetry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In American culture, starting as early as the Lewis and Clark Expedition and the California Gold Rush, California is viewed as the land of hope and promise.
a. Explain how California is viewed by Okies and Mexican immigrants in On the Road.
b. Explain how it is viewed by Sal Paradise.
Essay Topic 2
In Des Moines, Sal experiences the distinction of the East of his youth and the West of his future.
a. What does the West represent to Sal?
b. Contrast his life when he is living on the east coast and when he is living out west.
c. How have his voyages changed his views on life?
Essay Topic 3
Sometimes individuals or groups who refuse to adjust to mainstream society experience penalties for their decision. Do Sal and his friends experience any negative effects from those who are in mainstream America?
Cite specific examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)