|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sal do after his first road trip?
2. After Sal leaves Terry, he rides a bus from Los Angeles to which city?
3. Who is Sal's roommate in Denver?
4. What does Lucille think about Sal's friends?
5. What New York hitchhiker does Sal meet in Des Moines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sal find out when he calls Chad King after he arrives in Denver?
2. Why does Sal want to leave Denver?
3. Why does Dean Moriarty visit Sal at his aunt's house in Patterson, New Jersey?
4. What does the group of friends do while in New York on New Year's Eve?
5. What is happening in Sal Paradise's life before he meets Dean Moriarty?
6. Why does Sal break up with Lucille?
7. What favor does Remi ask Lee Ann before he moves out of their house?
8. What do Sal, Ray Rawlins, and others do in an old mining town outside of Denver?
9. What does Sal learn about Dean's love life in Denver?
10. What is the wildest ride of Sal's journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a. What are Sal and Dean's views on authority and authority figures? How can they live their lives in absence of authority?
b. What are Sal and Dean rebelling against?
c. How do Sal, Dean, and their friends rebel against what they oppose?
Cite specific examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
a. Are middle-class American values compatible with being Beat or does an individual need to pick one over the other?
b. Do Sal and Dean change their values or way of life depending on their circumstances, or do they hold true to their beliefs? Cite examples from the book.
c. What were some challenges to the Beat way of life that Sal faced and how did he handle them? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
There are conflicting views about Dean Moriarty. One is that he has a zest for life and the other is that he is crazy. What is your opinion on these views?
Support your answer with specific evidence from the book.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)