|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman traveling with Dean Moriarty when Sal first meets him?
2. What is the vow that Sal and Terry make?
3. Where does Sal sleep in Cheyenne?
4. How does Sal feel about the friendship between Dean Moriarty and his friend?
5. Where do Sal and Dean decide to visit before returning to San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sal learn about Dean's love life in Denver?
2. What happens to Sal in Mexico City?
3. Who is traveling with Mississippi Gene?
4. Where do Sal, Dean, and Stan Shepherd travel in Part 4 of On the Road?
5. Why do Sal and his hitchhiker friend, Eddie, part in Iowa?
6. What happens to Sal, Dean, Marylou, and Ed Dunkel in Washington, D.C.?
7. What does Old Bull Lee warn Sal about in New Orleans?
8. How does a wealthy woman assist Sal in Denver?
9. Why doesn't the driver offer Sal any food on his trip from Pittsburgh to New York?
10. What do Sal, Ray Rawlins, and others do in an old mining town outside of Denver?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of time in On the Road and include the various views of time to the following groups:
a. Beat time.
b. American time.
c. Mexican time.
d. African-American/jazz time.
e. Dean Moriarty and time.
Essay Topic 2
In Des Moines, Sal experiences the distinction of the East of his youth and the West of his future.
a. What does the West represent to Sal?
b. Contrast his life when he is living on the east coast and when he is living out west.
c. How have his voyages changed his views on life?
Essay Topic 3
Sometimes individuals or groups who refuse to adjust to mainstream society experience penalties for their decision. Do Sal and his friends experience any negative effects from those who are in mainstream America?
Cite specific examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)