|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sal and Dean do in New York City on New Year's Eve?
2. What does Sal think about his first visit to Denver?
3. What does Old Bull Lee think of Dean?
4. What does Sal think about his job in Bakersfield?
5. Who is Remi Boncoeur's girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the wildest ride of Sal's journey?
2. Why does Sal break up with Lucille?
3. What is happening in Sal Paradise's life before he meets Dean Moriarty?
4. What does Dean inform the group about at a party where Carlo is reading his poetry?
5. What do Sal, Ray Rawlins, and others do in an old mining town outside of Denver?
6. Why does Lee Ann throw Remi out of their house?
7. Why does Sal Paradise travel West?
8. What is Sal's relationship like with Rita Bettencourt?
9. Why doesn't the driver offer Sal any food on his trip from Pittsburgh to New York?
10. Why does Sal stop in Cheyenne instead of continuing to Los Angeles with the two brothers from Minnesota?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the two central characters in On the Road, Sal Paradise and Dean Moriarty, on the following:
a. The idea of being on the road.
b. The role of their fathers in their lives.
c. Their attitudes toward women.
Essay Topic 2
There are conflicting views about Dean Moriarty. One is that he has a zest for life and the other is that he is crazy. What is your opinion on these views?
Support your answer with specific evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Post-World War II America was very insular by turning inward and focusing on internal issues and families. How does Beat society compare to post-World War II America?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)