|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Sal finally decide to go back on the road in Denver?
2. What do Sal and another woman he meets on the bus do until her stop in Columbus, Ohio?
3. Who does Sal introduce to Dean with whom he forms a strong friendship?
4. What do Carlo and Dean take to help them stay up all night for their chat sessions?
5. Who does Sal see that makes him feel that he is closer to Denver?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the driver offer Sal any food on his trip from Pittsburgh to New York?
2. Why does Lee Ann throw Remi out of their house?
3. What favor does Remi ask Lee Ann before he moves out of their house?
4. What does Old Bull Lee warn Sal about in New Orleans?
5. What is the wildest ride of Sal's journey?
6. What does Sal confess to Dean while traveling from New Jersey to Virginia?
7. How does Sal get the money to travel from Denver to San Francisco?
8. Who does Sal meet on the bus from Bakersfield to Los Angeles?
9. Why does Sal want to leave Denver?
10. Why does Dean Moriarty visit Sal at his aunt's house in Patterson, New Jersey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are conflicting views about Dean Moriarty. One is that he has a zest for life and the other is that he is crazy. What is your opinion on these views?
Support your answer with specific evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In American culture, starting as early as the Lewis and Clark Expedition and the California Gold Rush, California is viewed as the land of hope and promise.
a. Explain how California is viewed by Okies and Mexican immigrants in On the Road.
b. Explain how it is viewed by Sal Paradise.
Essay Topic 3
A connotation of the term, Beat Generation, means that they were discouraged or down and out.
a. Do you think the characters in On the Road fit this definition?
b. What connotation(s) of the term Beat Generation do you think the characters exemplify and why?
Cite specific examples from the book.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)