Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman traveling with Dean Moriarty when Sal first meets him?
2. What is the vow that Sal and Terry make?
3. Where does Sal sleep in Cheyenne?
4. How does Sal feel about the friendship between Dean Moriarty and his friend?
5. Where do Sal and Dean decide to visit before returning to San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sal learn about Dean's love life in Denver?
2. What happens to Sal in Mexico City?
3. Who is traveling with Mississippi Gene?
4. Where do Sal, Dean, and Stan Shepherd travel in Part 4 of On the Road?
5. Why do Sal and his hitchhiker friend, Eddie, part in Iowa?
6. What happens to Sal, Dean, Marylou, and Ed Dunkel in Washington, D.C.?
7. What does Old Bull Lee warn Sal about in New Orleans?
8. How does a wealthy woman assist Sal in Denver?
9. Why doesn't the driver offer Sal any food on his trip from Pittsburgh to New York?
10. What do Sal, Ray Rawlins, and others do in an old mining town outside of Denver?
Essay Topic 1
On the Road depicts counterculture in 1950s America.
a. How do the main characters exemplify counterculture in the novel?
b. Why were they considered counterculture at the time?
c. Would they still be considered counterculture today?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two central characters in On the Road, Sal Paradise and Dean Moriarty, on the following:
a. The idea of being on the road.
b. The role of their fathers in their lives.
c. Their attitudes toward women.
Essay Topic 3
A connotation of the term, Beat Generation, means that they were discouraged or down and out.
a. Do you think the characters in On the Road fit this definition?
b. What connotation(s) of the term Beat Generation do you think the characters exemplify and why?
Cite specific examples from the book.
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)