|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sal end his ride with the brothers from Minnesota before their final destination?
2. Who does Sal seek out when he first arrives in San Francisco?
3. Why do Sal and Dean take a quick trip from Virginia to New Jersey?
4. What does Sal learn when he meets up with Chad King in Denver?
5. What Mexican woman does Sal meet on the bus to Los Angeles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is traveling with Mississippi Gene?
2. What is the wildest ride of Sal's journey?
3. What does Dean inform the group about at a party where Carlo is reading his poetry?
4. Why does Lee Ann throw Remi out of their house?
5. When and where does Sal meet up with Dean after living in Denver?
6. Why does Sal Paradise travel West?
7. What does Sal's aunt do when Dean is given a speeding ticket?
8. Why does Sal want to leave Denver?
9. What happens to Sal, Dean, Marylou, and Ed Dunkel in Washington, D.C.?
10. What does Old Bull Lee warn Sal about in New Orleans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of time in On the Road and include the various views of time to the following groups:
a. Beat time.
b. American time.
c. Mexican time.
d. African-American/jazz time.
e. Dean Moriarty and time.
Essay Topic 2
In American culture, starting as early as the Lewis and Clark Expedition and the California Gold Rush, California is viewed as the land of hope and promise.
a. Explain how California is viewed by Okies and Mexican immigrants in On the Road.
b. Explain how it is viewed by Sal Paradise.
Essay Topic 3
Post-World War II America was very insular by turning inward and focusing on internal issues and families. How does Beat society compare to post-World War II America?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)