|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sal, Dean, and Ed Dunkel do when Hyman Solomon does not come through?
2. While Sal is witnessing one of Dean and Carlo's all night sessions, he concludes they are __________________________. (fill in the blank)
3. Who sends letters to Sal and tells him about Dean Moriarty?
4. Who was born on the road?
5. Who is the mutual friend with Sal Paradise and Mississippi Gene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Sal, Dean, Marylou, and Ed Dunkel in Washington, D.C.?
2. What favor does Remi ask Lee Ann before he moves out of their house?
3. Why do Sal and his hitchhiker friend, Eddie, part in Iowa?
4. Who do Dean, Marylou, and Ed Dunkel leave in Tucson and why?
5. What does Sal learn about Dean's love life in Denver?
6. Why does Sal Paradise travel West?
7. How does Sal get the money to travel from Denver to San Francisco?
8. Who is traveling with Mississippi Gene?
9. When and where does Sal meet up with Dean after living in Denver?
10. Why does Sal stop in Cheyenne instead of continuing to Los Angeles with the two brothers from Minnesota?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Des Moines, Sal experiences the distinction of the East of his youth and the West of his future.
a. What does the West represent to Sal?
b. Contrast his life when he is living on the east coast and when he is living out west.
c. How have his voyages changed his views on life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of time in On the Road and include the various views of time to the following groups:
a. Beat time.
b. American time.
c. Mexican time.
d. African-American/jazz time.
e. Dean Moriarty and time.
Essay Topic 3
There are conflicting views about Dean Moriarty. One is that he has a zest for life and the other is that he is crazy. What is your opinion on these views?
Support your answer with specific evidence from the book.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)