Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman traveling with Dean Moriarty when Sal first meets him?
2. What is the vow that Sal and Terry make?
3. Where does Sal sleep in Cheyenne?
4. How does Sal feel about the friendship between Dean Moriarty and his friend?
5. Where do Sal and Dean decide to visit before returning to San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sal learn about Dean's love life in Denver?
2. What happens to Sal in Mexico City?
3. Who is traveling with Mississippi Gene?
4. Where do Sal, Dean, and Stan Shepherd travel in Part 4 of On the Road?
5. Why do Sal and his hitchhiker friend, Eddie, part in Iowa?
6. What happens to Sal, Dean, Marylou, and Ed Dunkel in Washington, D.C.?
7. What does Old Bull Lee warn Sal about in New Orleans?
8. How does a wealthy woman assist Sal in Denver?
9. Why doesn't the driver offer Sal any food on his trip from Pittsburgh to New York?
10. What do Sal, Ray Rawlins, and others do in an old mining town outside of Denver?
Essay Topic 1
Jazz music is an underlying theme in On the Road.
a. Describe the role of jazz in the Beat movement.
b. Describe how jazz influences how On the Road was written.
Essay Topic 2
Sal and Dean mention finding "IT" throughout the novel
a. How do Sal and Dean define "IT"?
b. Do they ever find "IT"?
c. Do you think that "IT" has religious or spiritual undertones? Why or why not?
Cite specific examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
In American culture, starting as early as the Lewis and Clark Expedition and the California Gold Rush, California is viewed as the land of hope and promise.
a. Explain how California is viewed by Okies and Mexican immigrants in On the Road.
b. Explain how it is viewed by Sal Paradise.
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)