Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman traveling with Dean Moriarty when Sal first meets him?
2. What is the vow that Sal and Terry make?
3. Where does Sal sleep in Cheyenne?
4. How does Sal feel about the friendship between Dean Moriarty and his friend?
5. Where do Sal and Dean decide to visit before returning to San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sal learn about Dean's love life in Denver?
2. What happens to Sal in Mexico City?
3. Who is traveling with Mississippi Gene?
4. Where do Sal, Dean, and Stan Shepherd travel in Part 4 of On the Road?
5. Why do Sal and his hitchhiker friend, Eddie, part in Iowa?
6. What happens to Sal, Dean, Marylou, and Ed Dunkel in Washington, D.C.?
7. What does Old Bull Lee warn Sal about in New Orleans?
8. How does a wealthy woman assist Sal in Denver?
9. Why doesn't the driver offer Sal any food on his trip from Pittsburgh to New York?
10. What do Sal, Ray Rawlins, and others do in an old mining town outside of Denver?
In Des Moines, Sal experiences the distinction of the East of his youth and the West of his future.
a. What does the West represent to Sal?
b. Contrast his life when he is living on the east coast and when he is living out west.
c. How have his voyages changed his views on life?
In American culture, starting as early as the Lewis and Clark Expedition and the California Gold Rush, California is viewed as the land of hope and promise.
a. Explain how California is viewed by Okies and Mexican immigrants in On the Road.
b. Explain how it is viewed by Sal Paradise.
Jazz music is an underlying theme in On the Road.
a. Describe the role of jazz in the Beat movement.
b. Describe how jazz influences how On the Road was written.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)