|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives in Denver while Sal is staying there?
2. Who is the mutual friend with Sal Paradise and Mississippi Gene?
3. Where was Dean Moriarty living before he was first introduced to Sal Paradise in New York?
4. Who sets Sal up with Rita Bettencourt?
5. What do Sal, Dean, and Ed Dunkel do when Hyman Solomon does not come through?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the vow Sal and Terry make when Sal leaves for New York?
2. How does Sal get the money to travel from Denver to San Francisco?
3. What is Sal's relationship like with Rita Bettencourt?
4. What are Sal's living arrangements while he is in Denver?
5. Why does Sal Paradise travel West?
6. What does Sal find out when he calls Chad King after he arrives in Denver?
7. Why does Sal want to leave Denver?
8. Why do Sal and his hitchhiker friend, Eddie, part in Iowa?
9. Why does Dean Moriarty visit Sal at his aunt's house in Patterson, New Jersey?
10. What happens to Sal, Dean, Marylou, and Ed Dunkel in Washington, D.C.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sometimes individuals or groups who refuse to adjust to mainstream society experience penalties for their decision. Do Sal and his friends experience any negative effects from those who are in mainstream America?
Cite specific examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
a. Why is being on the road so important to the Beat Movement?
b. What transformations or epiphanies do the following characters have, if any, after being "on the road"? Cite specific examples from the book.
- Sal Paradise
- Dean Moriarty
- Ed Dunkel
- Stan Shepherd
Essay Topic 3
Post-World War II America was very insular by turning inward and focusing on internal issues and families. How does Beat society compare to post-World War II America?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)