|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What favor does Remi ask of Lee Ann in San Francisco?
2. What is the vow that Sal and Terry make?
3. Who is accompanying Dean on his trip to Virginia?
4. Who is Hyman Solomon?
5. Who thinks Sal should not travel out West?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening in Sal Paradise's life before he meets Dean Moriarty?
2. What does Sal's aunt do when Dean is given a speeding ticket?
3. What favor does Remi ask Lee Ann before he moves out of their house?
4. What job does Remi Boncoeur find for, Sal when he arrives in San Francisco?
5. Who is traveling with Mississippi Gene?
6. Why do Sal and Terry go to Terry's home town of Sabinal?
7. Who is "The Ghost?"
8. Why does Sal Paradise travel West?
9. What does Sal confess to Dean while traveling from New Jersey to Virginia?
10. What happens to Sal, Dean, Marylou, and Ed Dunkel in Washington, D.C.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The quote, "Three writers does not a generation make," is sometimes attributed to Beat writer, Gregory Corso. Since the Beats only constituted a handful of writers, how would you explain the impact of the Beat Movement on future generations and the youth of today?
Essay Topic 2
A connotation of the term, Beat Generation, means that they were discouraged or down and out.
a. Do you think the characters in On the Road fit this definition?
b. What connotation(s) of the term Beat Generation do you think the characters exemplify and why?
Cite specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
At the time it was published, On the Road was considered rebellious and obscene. It also exalts criminals, swindlers, drifters, and drug users.
a. What does Sal Paradise find so appealing about the characters and situations he encounters? Why?
b. What distinction would Sal make between being a criminal and having a zest for life, if any?
Cite examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)