|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two women in Dean's life in Denver?
2. Who thinks Sal should not travel out West?
3. Who does Sal seek out when he first arrives in San Francisco?
4. What time of year do Sal and Dean reunite after Sal's first trip?
5. What job does Dean find after Sal first meets him in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sal react after he introduces Dean Moriarty to Carlo Marx?
2. What favor does Remi ask Lee Ann before he moves out of their house?
3. How does Sal get the money to travel from Denver to San Francisco?
4. What does Sal confess to Dean while traveling from New Jersey to Virginia?
5. Why doesn't the driver offer Sal any food on his trip from Pittsburgh to New York?
6. What does the group of friends do while in New York on New Year's Eve?
7. What does Old Bull Lee warn Sal about in New Orleans?
8. Why does Lee Ann throw Remi out of their house?
9. Who does Sal meet on the bus from Bakersfield to Los Angeles?
10. What does Sal's aunt do when Dean is given a speeding ticket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the time it was published, On the Road was considered rebellious and obscene. It also exalts criminals, swindlers, drifters, and drug users.
a. What does Sal Paradise find so appealing about the characters and situations he encounters? Why?
b. What distinction would Sal make between being a criminal and having a zest for life, if any?
Cite examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Sal has views about different groups who were marginalized in mid-20th century America. What are his views on these groups? Are there any differences among categories of people? If so, why? Cite specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of time in On the Road and include the various views of time to the following groups:
a. Beat time.
b. American time.
c. Mexican time.
d. African-American/jazz time.
e. Dean Moriarty and time.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)