|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sal see that makes him feel that he is closer to Denver?
2. What does Sal realize about his relationship with Lucille during his return stay in New York City?
3. Who does Dean find jobs for in Denver?
4. Who does Sal reunite with at the restaurant while having dinner with Lee Ann, Remi, and Remi's stepfather?
5. What job does Sal find in Bakersfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Sal's living arrangements while he is in Denver?
2. When and where does Sal meet up with Dean after living in Denver?
3. What is the vow Sal and Terry make when Sal leaves for New York?
4. Why does Sal want to leave Denver?
5. What does Sal learn about Dean's love life in Denver?
6. What do Sal, Ray Rawlins, and others do in an old mining town outside of Denver?
7. Why doesn't the driver offer Sal any food on his trip from Pittsburgh to New York?
8. What is Sal's relationship like with Rita Bettencourt?
9. What does the group of friends do while in New York on New Year's Eve?
10. Why do Sal and Terry go to Terry's home town of Sabinal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of time in On the Road and include the various views of time to the following groups:
a. Beat time.
b. American time.
c. Mexican time.
d. African-American/jazz time.
e. Dean Moriarty and time.
Essay Topic 2
Sometimes individuals or groups who refuse to adjust to mainstream society experience penalties for their decision. Do Sal and his friends experience any negative effects from those who are in mainstream America?
Cite specific examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Post-World War II America was very insular by turning inward and focusing on internal issues and families. How does Beat society compare to post-World War II America?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)