|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What New York hitchhiker does Sal meet in Des Moines?
2. What do Carlo and Dean take to help them stay up all night for their chat sessions?
3. What time of year do Sal and Dean reunite after Sal's first trip?
4. Who are the two women in Dean's life in Denver?
5. What is Roland Major's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Old Bull Lee warn Sal about in New Orleans?
2. How does Sal get the money to travel from Denver to San Francisco?
3. What does Sal confess to Dean while traveling from New Jersey to Virginia?
4. Why doesn't the driver offer Sal any food on his trip from Pittsburgh to New York?
5. What does Sal's aunt do when Dean is given a speeding ticket?
6. Why does Sal Paradise travel West?
7. What does Dean inform the group about at a party where Carlo is reading his poetry?
8. What does Sal find out when he calls Chad King after he arrives in Denver?
9. What happens to Sal, Dean, Marylou, and Ed Dunkel in Washington, D.C.?
10. What is the wildest ride of Sal's journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On the Road depicts counterculture in 1950s America.
a. How do the main characters exemplify counterculture in the novel?
b. Why were they considered counterculture at the time?
c. Would they still be considered counterculture today?
Essay Topic 2
Sometimes individuals or groups who refuse to adjust to mainstream society experience penalties for their decision. Do Sal and his friends experience any negative effects from those who are in mainstream America?
Cite specific examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Friends play a significant role in Sal Paradise's life.
a. As a result of a rift among his friends, Sal is torn between the more established and secure types, like Chad King, and the more frenzied Dean Moriarty and Carlo Marx. How does being torn between friends represent Sal's inner conflicts between being established or rebellious?
b. How do relationships with friends function in Beat culture?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)