|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Galatea?
2. Who does Dean find jobs for in Denver?
3. Who sets Sal up with Rita Bettencourt?
4. In which city does Sal end the "ride of his life'?
5. After Sal leaves Terry, he rides a bus from Los Angeles to which city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sal want to leave Denver?
2. What is Sal's relationship like with Rita Bettencourt?
3. What does Sal find out when he calls Chad King after he arrives in Denver?
4. Why does Lee Ann throw Remi out of their house?
5. What do Sal, Ray Rawlins, and others do in an old mining town outside of Denver?
6. Why do Sal and Terry go to Terry's home town of Sabinal?
7. What are Sal's living arrangements while he is in Denver?
8. How does Sal get the money to travel from Denver to San Francisco?
9. When and where does Sal meet up with Dean after living in Denver?
10. What favor does Remi ask Lee Ann before he moves out of their house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sal and Dean mention finding "IT" throughout the novel
a. How do Sal and Dean define "IT"?
b. Do they ever find "IT"?
c. Do you think that "IT" has religious or spiritual undertones? Why or why not?
Cite specific examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The quote, "Three writers does not a generation make," is sometimes attributed to Beat writer, Gregory Corso. Since the Beats only constituted a handful of writers, how would you explain the impact of the Beat Movement on future generations and the youth of today?
Essay Topic 3
a. Are middle-class American values compatible with being Beat or does an individual need to pick one over the other?
b. Do Sal and Dean change their values or way of life depending on their circumstances, or do they hold true to their beliefs? Cite examples from the book.
c. What were some challenges to the Beat way of life that Sal faced and how did he handle them? Cite examples from the book.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)