|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dean inform his friends about at a party where Carlo is reading poetry?
2. Who are the two women in Dean's life in Denver?
3. Who arrives in Denver while Sal is staying there?
4. Who is the mutual friend with Sal Paradise and Mississippi Gene?
5. Where do Sal and Dean decide to visit before returning to San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the group of friends do while in New York on New Year's Eve?
2. Why does Sal Paradise travel West?
3. What does Sal find out when he calls Chad King after he arrives in Denver?
4. Why doesn't the driver offer Sal any food on his trip from Pittsburgh to New York?
5. Why does Sal stop in Cheyenne instead of continuing to Los Angeles with the two brothers from Minnesota?
6. Why does Dean Moriarty visit Sal at his aunt's house in Patterson, New Jersey?
7. What does Dean inform the group about at a party where Carlo is reading his poetry?
8. What does Old Bull Lee warn Sal about in New Orleans?
9. Who is "The Ghost?"
10. When and where does Sal meet up with Dean after living in Denver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of time in On the Road and include the various views of time to the following groups:
a. Beat time.
b. American time.
c. Mexican time.
d. African-American/jazz time.
e. Dean Moriarty and time.
Essay Topic 2
Sal has views about different groups who were marginalized in mid-20th century America. What are his views on these groups? Are there any differences among categories of people? If so, why? Cite specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Post-World War II America was very insular by turning inward and focusing on internal issues and families. How does Beat society compare to post-World War II America?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)