|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Sal finally decide to go back on the road in Denver?
2. What job does Sal find in Bakersfield?
3. What does Sal think about his first visit to Denver?
4. Who does Sal reunite with at the restaurant while having dinner with Lee Ann, Remi, and Remi's stepfather?
5. Why does Sal leave Terry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Sal and Dean return the travel bureau car in Chicago?
2. Who does Sal meet on the bus from Bakersfield to Los Angeles?
3. Why does Sal break up with Lucille?
4. Why does Sal want to leave Denver?
5. When and where does Sal meet up with Dean after living in Denver?
6. What happens between Sal and Marylou in San Francisco?
7. What does Dean do when he, Sal, and Marylou arrive in San Francisco?
8. What job does Remi Boncoeur find for, Sal when he arrives in San Francisco?
9. What is Sal's relationship like with Rita Bettencourt?
10. Sal and Dean have their first argument at a restaurant in Denver. What is the argument about?
Essay Topic 1
In Des Moines, Sal experiences the distinction of the East of his youth and the West of his future.
a. What does the West represent to Sal?
b. Contrast his life when he is living on the east coast and when he is living out west.
c. How have his voyages changed his views on life?
Essay Topic 2
Sal has views about different groups who were marginalized in mid-20th century America. What are his views on these groups? Are there any differences among categories of people? If so, why? Cite specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Sometimes individuals or groups who refuse to adjust to mainstream society experience penalties for their decision. Do Sal and his friends experience any negative effects from those who are in mainstream America?
Cite specific examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 1,506 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)