|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Old Bull think is a sign from Sal's deceased father?
(a) When Old Pops wins the race at the horsetrack.
(b) When they hear a rapping noise in Old Bull's dining room.
(c) When they hear a stranger yell Sal's father's name on the street.
(d) When they see a billboard that says, "Post cards from Paradise."
2. Where does Dean take Sal to stay in San Francisco?
(a) At Marylou's new apartment.
(b) At Camille's house.
(c) At the hotel where Roland Major is staying.
(d) At Remi Boncoeur's house.
3. What are Sal and Dean's travel companions' reactions to dropping Sal and Dean off at their stop?
(a) They are very ambivalent.
(b) They are very wary.
(c) They are very happy.
(d) They are very disappointed .
4. In Part 3, what do Sal and Dean's travel companions to Denver want to do in Sacramento?
(a) Stop for lunch.
(b) Stay overnight.
(c) Go sightseeing.
(d) Leave Sal and Dean.
5. Where does Sal decide to travel after his second trip to San Francisco?
(a) New York.
6. How does Sal get the money to leave San Francisco for the second time?
(a) Sal's aunt sends him a GI check.
(b) He works as a grocery clerk.
(c) He pawns his watch.
(d) He sells a manuscript.
7. Where do Sal and Dean clean up in Chicago?
(a) At a hotel.
(b) In the college boys' YMCA room.
(c) At a bus station.
(d) At a friend's house.
8. How do Dean and Sal get to Denver in Part 3?
(a) By bus.
(b) They take an airplane.
(c) In a travel bureau car.
(d) They hitchhike.
9. What are Sal and Dean's travel companions' reactions when it is Dean's turn to take the wheel of the vehicle?
(a) They are annoyed.
(b) They are enthusiastic.
(c) They are terrified.
(d) They are bored.
10. Where does Dean learn his father is?
(a) On Wall Street in New York.
(b) On skid row in Detroit..
(c) In prison in Seattle.
(d) In prison in Santa Fe.
11. What does Sal do in Part 3, when the other passengers criticize Dean?
(a) He defends Dean.
(b) He gets angry at them.
(c) He ignores them.
(d) He agrees with them and has a talk with Dean.
12. Who is Dean referring to when he tells Sal that "God has arrived"?
(a) An author, Edmund McLean.
(b) The actor, James Dean.
(c) The poet, William Carlos Williams.
(d) A musician, George Shearing.
13. What is one of the things Sal and Dean discuss before Dean departs West to see Camille and his children?
(a) That Dean and his family and Sal and his future family could live on the same street.
(b) That maybe Sal could rent a room at Dean and Camille's house.
(c) That Sal, Dean, and Dean's father could take a trip together.
(d) That Sal could marry Camille after she and Dean get a divorce.
14. According to Sal, Dean's soul is wrapped up in ______________________? (fill in the blank)
(a) A fast car, a coast to reach, and a drink at the end of the road.
(b) A fast car, a coast to reach, and a woman at the end of the road.
(c) A fast car, a new kick, and a woman at the end of the road.
(d) A car to steal, a coast to reach, and a woman at the end of the road.
15. How does Sal feel after Dean confides in Sal about his reaction to their fight?
(a) He feels relieved.
(b) He feels manipulated.
(c) He feels that Dean is a sissy.
(d) He feels guilt-ridden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dean do while Camille is at work?
2. Where do Sal, Dean, and Marylou drop Alfred off?
3. Who do Sal, Dean, and Stan meet in a town called Gregoria?
4. What does Sal's arrival at Dean and Camille's house signify?
5. What is Sal's and Marylou's plan before they arrive in San Francisco?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)