|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the best time of day for Old Bull?
(a) The evenings.
(b) The mornings.
(c) Late nights.
(d) The afternoons.
2. Who is Sam Brady?
(a) A hitchhiker.
(b) Sal's friend.
(c) Dean's cousin.
(d) A bar owner.
3. Who rescues Sal from the hotel in San Francisco?
(a) Dean Moriarty.
(c) Roland Major.
(d) Remi Boncoeur.
4. Where does Sal, Dean, and Marylou's car run off the road into the mud?
5. What plans do Sal and Stan make during Sal's last trip to Denver?
(a) To go bar hopping and to pick up women.
(b) To travel to San Francisco.
(c) To travel to Mexico.
(d) To write a book together.
6. Who is Dean referring to when he tells Sal that "God has arrived"?
(a) The poet, William Carlos Williams.
(b) The actor, James Dean.
(c) An author, Edmund McLean.
(d) A musician, George Shearing.
7. What happens during Sal, Stan, and Dean's stay in San Antonio?
(a) Stan gets medical treatment.
(b) They get a speeding ticket.
(c) They get a flat tire.
(d) The three men have a fight.
8. What happens to Stan shortly after he, Sal, and Dean depart from Denver?
(a) He gets car sick.
(b) He changes his mind and wants to return to Denver.
(c) He gets a sunburn
(d) He gets an insect bite.
9. Where is Camille working in San Francisco?
(a) At a diner.
(b) At a doctor's office.
(c) At a vinyard picking grapes.
(d) At a five-and-dime store.
10. Where does Old Bull take Sal in New Orleans?
(a) To Bourbon Street.
(b) To a bayou.
(c) To the racetrack.
(d) To an abandoned warehouse.
11. Who do Sal, Dean, and Marylou meet in Texas?
(a) A businessman named Donald.
(b) A prostitute named Mary Jane.
(c) A poet named Walt.
(d) A hitchhiker named Alfred.
12. What does Sal do when he returns to Denver in the spring of 1949?
(a) He goes to bars and listens to jazz music.
(b) He writes poetry.
(c) He works as a laborer.
(d) He trains as a rodeo clown.
13. What does Sal feel when he passes the fields near Bakersfield in Part 2?
(a) He feels nostalgic.
(b) He feels pangs of guilt.
(c) He feels hungry.
(d) He feels confusion.
14. How do Dean and Sal get to Denver in Part 3?
(a) In a travel bureau car.
(b) They take an airplane.
(c) By bus.
(d) They hitchhike.
15. How does Sal get the money to leave San Francisco for the second time?
(a) He sells a manuscript.
(b) He pawns his watch.
(c) Sal's aunt sends him a GI check.
(d) He works as a grocery clerk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dean do when he, Sal, and Marylou arrive in San Francisco?
2. What does Old Bull think is a sign from Sal's deceased father?
3. What are Sal and Dean's travel companions' reactions when they overhear Sal and Dean's discussing their car dream?
4. Who does Dean seek out in Denver?
5. How is Sal able to travel from Denver to San Francisco in the spring of 1949?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)