|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sal pack for his departure from San Francisco?
(a) A gun.
(b) Some sandwiches.
(c) A manuscript.
(d) His pajamas.
2. How do Dean and Sal get to Denver in Part 3?
(a) They take an airplane.
(b) By bus.
(c) They hitchhike.
(d) In a travel bureau car.
3. What does Marylou do when she sees Sal on the streets of San Francisco?
(a) She suggests they have a drink together.
(b) She does not acknowledge him.
(c) She waves hello.
(d) She tells him to go away.
4. What does Old Bull think is a sign from Sal's deceased father?
(a) When they hear a stranger yell Sal's father's name on the street.
(b) When Old Pops wins the race at the horsetrack.
(c) When they hear a rapping noise in Old Bull's dining room.
(d) When they see a billboard that says, "Post cards from Paradise."
5. Who do Sal, Dean, and Stan meet in a town called Gregoria?
(d) Old Bull Lee.
6. Who does Sal meet in Denver on his third trip West?
7. What does Sal do in Part 3, when the other passengers criticize Dean?
(a) He ignores them.
(b) He gets angry at them.
(c) He defends Dean.
(d) He agrees with them and has a talk with Dean.
8. What is the best time of day for Old Bull?
(a) The mornings.
(b) The afternoons.
(c) Late nights.
(d) The evenings.
9. Where is Camille working in San Francisco?
(a) At a diner.
(b) At a doctor's office.
(c) At a five-and-dime store.
(d) At a vinyard picking grapes.
10. What happens during Sal, Stan, and Dean's stay in San Antonio?
(a) The three men have a fight.
(b) They get a flat tire.
(c) They get a speeding ticket.
(d) Stan gets medical treatment.
11. According to Sal, Dean's soul is wrapped up in ______________________? (fill in the blank)
(a) A fast car, a new kick, and a woman at the end of the road.
(b) A fast car, a coast to reach, and a woman at the end of the road.
(c) A fast car, a coast to reach, and a drink at the end of the road.
(d) A car to steal, a coast to reach, and a woman at the end of the road.
12. What is Dean's reaction to his passengers being terrified of his driving on his trip from Denver to Chicago?
(a) He does not notice.
(b) He mocks them.
(c) He is agitated.
(d) He feels guilty.
13. What happens in a restaurant in Denver when Sal and Dean are en route to New York?
(a) Sal and Dean have their first outright argument.
(b) They stiff the server with the bill.
(c) They make plans to travel to Canada.
(d) They pick up women.
14. What are Sal and Dean's travel companions' reactions when it is Dean's turn to take the wheel of the vehicle?
(a) They are terrified.
(b) They are enthusiastic.
(c) They are annoyed.
(d) They are bored.
15. How does Sal get the money to leave San Francisco for the second time?
(a) He works as a grocery clerk.
(b) He pawns his watch.
(c) He sells a manuscript.
(d) Sal's aunt sends him a GI check.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sal and Dean discuss while traveling from Sacramento to Denver?
2. Who does Dean seek out in Denver?
3. Where do Sal and Dean's travel companions drop off Sal and Dean on their trip East in Part 3?
4. Why is Dean unable to work in San Francisco?
5. What action does Camille take with Dean and Sal in San Francisco?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)