|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Sal and Dean clean up in Chicago?
(a) At a friend's house.
(b) At a hotel.
(c) At a bus station.
(d) In the college boys' YMCA room.
2. According to Sal, Dean's soul is wrapped up in ______________________? (fill in the blank)
(a) A fast car, a coast to reach, and a drink at the end of the road.
(b) A fast car, a new kick, and a woman at the end of the road.
(c) A car to steal, a coast to reach, and a woman at the end of the road.
(d) A fast car, a coast to reach, and a woman at the end of the road.
3. Where is Camille working in San Francisco?
(a) At a diner.
(b) At a vinyard picking grapes.
(c) At a doctor's office.
(d) At a five-and-dime store.
4. Who do Sal, Dean, and Marylou meet in Texas?
(a) A poet named Walt.
(b) A businessman named Donald.
(c) A hitchhiker named Alfred.
(d) A prostitute named Mary Jane.
5. How does Dean greet Sal when he arrives at his door step in 1949?
(a) He answers the door naked.
(b) He gives Sal a big hug.
(c) He slams the door in Sal's face.
(d) He is inebriated.
6. Where do Dean and Sal stay in Detroit?
(a) Skid row.
(b) With a friend.
(c) At a posh hotel.
(d) At a YMCA.
7. Where do Sal, Dean, and Marylou drop Alfred off?
(a) Salinas, California.
(b) Tucson, Arizona.
(c) Tulare, California.
(d) Needles, California.
8. Who is Sam Brady?
(a) A hitchhiker.
(b) Sal's friend.
(c) A bar owner.
(d) Dean's cousin.
9. What does Dean do while Camille is at work?
(a) He goes out with friends.
(b) He takes college courses to become a writer.
(c) He drinks.
(d) He tends to their child.
10. Who are Sal and Dean's passengers on their trip to Chicago in the travel bureau car?
(a) Two Jesuit students.
(b) Two farmers.
(c) Two hitchhikers.
(d) Two waitresses they pick up at a diner.
11. What does Sal do in Part 3, when the other passengers criticize Dean?
(a) He ignores them.
(b) He agrees with them and has a talk with Dean.
(c) He defends Dean.
(d) He gets angry at them.
12. How does Hal Hingham assist Sal and the others in Tucson?
(a) He lets them spend the night at his house.
(b) He gives them five dollars.
(c) He lets them take a shower at his house.
(d) He buys them dinner.
13. What happens during Sal, Stan, and Dean's stay in San Antonio?
(a) They get a speeding ticket.
(b) The three men have a fight.
(c) Stan gets medical treatment.
(d) They get a flat tire.
14. What is Sal and Dean's plan before they take their second trip in 1949?
(a) They will return to New York before departing.
(b) They will find jobs in San Francisco to earn money for the trip.
(c) They will travel the United States more extensively.
(d) They will earn their college degrees.
15. Who does Sal meet in Denver on his third trip West?
Short Answer Questions
1. What personal news does Dean share with Sal and Stan in Part 4?
2. Where does Old Bull take Sal in New Orleans?
3. What is Dean's reaction to his passengers being terrified of his driving on his trip from Denver to Chicago?
4. What does Sal do in Texas to get money to buy gas?
5. What news does Sam Brady deliver to Dean?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)