|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Dean referring to when he tells Sal that "God has arrived"?
(a) An author, Edmund McLean.
(b) The actor, James Dean.
(c) The poet, William Carlos Williams.
(d) A musician, George Shearing.
2. What does Dean tell Sal after their first real argument?
(a) That he will not travel with Sal to New York.
(b) That he does not want to be Sal's friend.
(c) That he has been crying.
(d) That he is sorry.
3. What does Sal's arrival at Dean and Camille's house signify?
(a) That Dean will be more dutiful.
(b) That Dean will be more nostalgic.
(c) That Dean will be less conscientious.
(d) That Dean will become even crazier.
4. What news does Sam Brady deliver to Dean?
(a) That Dean can live with him.
(b) That he used to date Camille.
(c) That no one in his family cares to have any interaction with Dean or his father.
(d) That Miles Davis will be performing in Denver.
5. Who does Dean meet at a party in New York?
6. How do Dean and Sal get to Denver in Part 3?
(a) In a travel bureau car.
(b) They take an airplane.
(c) They hitchhike.
(d) By bus.
7. What does Sal do when he returns to Denver in the spring of 1949?
(a) He works as a laborer.
(b) He goes to bars and listens to jazz music.
(c) He trains as a rodeo clown.
(d) He writes poetry.
8. What personal news does Dean share with Sal and Stan in Part 4?
(a) That he wants a divorce from Camille.
(b) That he is participating in Alcoholics Annonymous.
(c) That he wants to move to Tucson.
(d) That he wants to collaborate on a book with them.
9. Who does Dean seek out in Denver?
(a) Carlo Marx.
(b) An old girl friend.
(c) His long-lost father.
(d) Chad King.
10. What does Marylou admit to Sal after they arrive in San Francisco?
(a) That he is really wearing on her after the long trip.
(b) That she really admires him.
(c) She only used him to make Dean jealous.
(d) She has a crush on him.
11. What is the first place Sal visits on his return trip to San Francisco in the spring of 1949?
(a) The Golden Gate Bridge.
(b) The army barracks.
(c) Remi Boncoeur's home.
(d) Dean and Camille's home.
12. Where is Camille working in San Francisco?
(a) At a doctor's office.
(b) At a vinyard picking grapes.
(c) At a diner.
(d) At a five-and-dime store.
13. What does Sal feel when he passes the fields near Bakersfield in Part 2?
(a) He feels hungry.
(b) He feels confusion.
(c) He feels pangs of guilt.
(d) He feels nostalgic.
14. How does Sal justify Dean's behavior to Old Bull Lee?
(a) That Dean is only that way when drunk or on drugs.
(b) That Dean had a rough childhood.
(c) That Dean has a zest for life and is living fully.
(d) That Old Bull Lee is too snobby.
15. What happens to Sal in Mexico City?
(a) He gets dysentery.
(b) He gets arrested.
(c) He gets in a car accident.
(d) He meets a woman and falls in love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sal and Dean do while bar-hopping in Denver?
2. How does their friend assist Sal, Dean, and Stan in Mexico?
3. Where does Old Bull take Sal in New Orleans?
4. Where does Dean learn his father is?
5. Why does the travel bureau car's owner need his car driven to Chicago?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)