|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Dean unable to work in San Francisco?
(a) He has to tend to Camille.
(b) Because of his excessive drinking.
(c) Because of his frequent out of town trips.
(d) He has injured his hand.
2. Where do Dean and Sal stay in Detroit?
(a) At a posh hotel.
(b) With a friend.
(c) Skid row.
(d) At a YMCA.
3. Who does Dean meet at a party in New York?
4. Why do Sal and Dean's travel companions seem leery of Dean on their 1949 trip to Denver?
(a) Because he is intoxicated.
(b) Because he steals gasoline for the car.
(c) Because he insists on sticking his head out of the window.
(d) Because of his erratic behavior.
5. What is Dean's reaction to his passengers being terrified of his driving on his trip from Denver to Chicago?
(a) He feels guilty.
(b) He does not notice.
(c) He mocks them.
(d) He is agitated.
6. Who is Marylou's new boyfriend in San Francisco?
(a) A man who has money.
(b) A man who is religious.
(c) A man who is handsome.
(d) A man with a bad temper.
7. What does Marylou do when she sees Sal on the streets of San Francisco?
(a) She suggests they have a drink together.
(b) She does not acknowledge him.
(c) She tells him to go away.
(d) She waves hello.
8. What does Dean do while Camille is at work?
(a) He goes out with friends.
(b) He drinks.
(c) He tends to their child.
(d) He takes college courses to become a writer.
9. Where does Sal decide to travel after his second trip to San Francisco?
(d) New York.
10. Where does Sal, Dean, and Marylou's car run off the road into the mud?
11. According to Sal, Dean's soul is wrapped up in ______________________? (fill in the blank)
(a) A fast car, a coast to reach, and a drink at the end of the road.
(b) A car to steal, a coast to reach, and a woman at the end of the road.
(c) A fast car, a new kick, and a woman at the end of the road.
(d) A fast car, a coast to reach, and a woman at the end of the road.
12. What is Sal's and Marylou's plan before they arrive in San Francisco?
(a) That Marylou would be Sal's girl.
(b) That they will visit Marylou's brother in Alcatraz.
(c) That they will never see each other again.
(d) That they will abandon Dean.
13. What does Old Bull think is a sign from Sal's deceased father?
(a) When Old Pops wins the race at the horsetrack.
(b) When they hear a stranger yell Sal's father's name on the street.
(c) When they see a billboard that says, "Post cards from Paradise."
(d) When they hear a rapping noise in Old Bull's dining room.
14. What are Sal and Dean's travel companions' reactions when they overhear Sal and Dean's discussing their car dream?
(a) They are increasingly irritated.
(b) They are increasingly bored.
(c) They are increasingly intrigued.
(d) They are increasingly nervous.
15. What does Dean tell Sal after their first real argument?
(a) That he will not travel with Sal to New York.
(b) That he does not want to be Sal's friend.
(c) That he has been crying.
(d) That he is sorry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sal do when he returns to Denver in the spring of 1949?
2. What plans do Sal and Stan make during Sal's last trip to Denver?
3. What does Sal feel when he passes the fields near Bakersfield in Part 2?
4. What happens to Stan shortly after he, Sal, and Dean depart from Denver?
5. What do Sal and Dean do while bar-hopping in Denver?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)