|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which reason is NOT a reason why Sal dislikes his job at the army barracks?
(a) He and Remi get free groceries from the commissary.
(b) He would rather drink with the men than reprimand them.
(c) He has to make one arrest per month.
(d) He has to stay awake all night.
2. What time of year do Sal and Dean reunite after Sal's first trip?
(a) Christmas time.
(b) Thanksgiving time.
(c) Summer time.
(d) During Easter.
3. What does Sal learn when he meets up with Chad King in Denver?
(a) That Chad King, Carlo Marx and Dean Moriarty did not want to be friends with Sal.
(b) That he and Carlo Marx and Dean Moriarty are no longer friends,
(c) That Dean and Carlo are no longer friends.
(d) That Dean Moriarty and Carlo Marx had already left for San Francisco.
4. What does Old Bull Lee think of Dean?
(a) That he is fun.
(b) That he is trouble.
(c) That he is intriguing.
(d) That he is despicable.
5. What Mexican woman does Sal meet on the bus to Los Angeles?
(c) Terry .
6. What does Sal's aunt do in Washington D.C.?
(a) She wants to stop for a tour of the White House.
(b) She buys the group lunch.
(c) She scolds Dean for driving too fast and getting a ticket.
(d) She pays Dean's fine for speeding and vents her anger at the officer.
7. Who was born on the road?
(a) Carlo Marx.
(b) Dean Moriarty.
(c) Sal Paradise.
(d) Chad King.
8. Where does Dean want to travel before his divorce with Marylou?
(b) New Orleans.
(d) San Francisco.
9. What does Old Bull Lee warn Sal about?
(a) That they need to drive more carefully on their road trips.
(b) That Dean is getting crazier and to be careful.
(c) To watch out for the police in New Orleans.
(d) That Sal needs to finish his education.
10. Why is Sal's friend ejected from the upscale restaurant in San Francisco?
(a) He is drunk and boisterous.
(b) He has food poisoning.
(c) He complains about the food.
(d) He shouts "Fire!"
11. Who is the woman traveling with Dean Moriarty when Sal first meets him?
12. Who does Sal encounter after his date with Rita Bettencourt?
(a) Carlo Marx.
(b) Some Okies.
(d) Some hobos.
13. What do Sal, Dean, and Ed Dunkel do when Hyman Solomon does not come through?
(a) They steal a car.
(b) They steal food and gas from distracted gas station attendants.
(c) They steal money and buy bus tickets.
(d) Sal pawns his watch.
14. How does Sal get the money to get from Denver to San Francisco?
(a) Roland Major gives him some money.
(b) He pawns his watch.
(c) He panhandles to earn the money.
(d) Sal's aunt wires him the money.
15. Where is Sal Paradise living at the beginning of On the Road?
(a) With Carlo Marx in Denver.
(b) With his aunt in New Jersey.
(c) With his brother in Virginia.
(d) With Roland Major in Denver.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Sal and Terry leave Los Angeles?
2. In Des Moines, Sal experiences the distinction of the East of his youth and the West of his __________________. (fill in the blank)
3. How does Sal feel about the friendship between Dean Moriarty and his friend?
4. Who sends letters to Sal and tells him about Dean Moriarty?
5. Who is Hyman Solomon?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)