|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the woman traveling with Dean Moriarty when Sal first meets him?
2. What job does Sal find in Bakersfield?
(a) Security guard at an army barracks.
(b) Picking fruit.
(c) Working at a carnival.
(d) Picking cotton.
3. Where is Sal Paradise living at the beginning of On the Road?
(a) With Roland Major in Denver.
(b) With his brother in Virginia.
(c) With Carlo Marx in Denver.
(d) With his aunt in New Jersey.
4. What is Sal's relationship with the Mexican woman he met on the bus?
(a) They are inseparable.
(b) They despise each other.
(c) They are unfriendly.
(d) They are cordial.
5. What does Sal's aunt do in Washington D.C.?
(a) She scolds Dean for driving too fast and getting a ticket.
(b) She pays Dean's fine for speeding and vents her anger at the officer.
(c) She buys the group lunch.
(d) She wants to stop for a tour of the White House.
6. What does Sal confess to Dean on their trip to Virginia?
(a) Dean's erratic behavior is wearing on him.
(b) He wants to take another trip with Dean.
(c) Dean's speeding is making him nervous.
(d) He wants to marry a woman named Lucille.
7. What does Sal learn when he meets up with Chad King in Denver?
(a) That he and Carlo Marx and Dean Moriarty are no longer friends,
(b) That Dean Moriarty and Carlo Marx had already left for San Francisco.
(c) That Chad King, Carlo Marx and Dean Moriarty did not want to be friends with Sal.
(d) That Dean and Carlo are no longer friends.
8. What does Dean want his friends to help him with?
(a) Teaching him Spanish.
(b) Learning to write.
(c) Finding a job.
(d) Helping him move.
9. Where does Sal travel after his first visit to San Francisco?
10. How does Sal get from Denver to San Francisco?
(a) A friend gives him a ride.
(b) He drives a travel bureau car.
(c) He hitchhikes.
(d) He takes the bus.
11. Why does Sal leave Terry?
(a) Sal has the itch to be on the road again.
(b) Terry kicks him out.
(c) He is feeling tied down in a committed relationship.
(d) He could not support Terry and her son.
12. Who is Mississippi Gene harboring from the law?
(a) Dean Moriarty.
(b) Montana Slim.
(d) A young blonde boy.
13. In Des Moines, Sal experiences the distinction of the East of his youth and the West of his __________________. (fill in the blank)
(b) Middle-age crisis.
(d) Golden years.
14. Who does Dean move in with after he breaks up with his girlfriend in New York?
(a) Carlo Marx.
(b) Sal Paradise.
(c) Ed Wall.
(d) Old Bull Lee.
15. Where does Sal sleep in Cheyenne?
(a) In a park.
(b) At a motel.
(c) At a bus station.
(d) At a train station.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sal get the money to get from Denver to San Francisco?
2. What does Lucille think about Sal's friends?
3. What does Sal realize about his relationship with Lucille during his return stay in New York City?
4. What is Roland Major's profession?
5. What is the vow that Sal and Terry make?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)