|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which city does Sal end the "ride of his life'?
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) San Francisco.
2. In Des Moines, Sal experiences the distinction of the East of his youth and the West of his __________________. (fill in the blank)
(a) Golden years.
(b) Middle-age crisis.
3. Where does Sal see Dean after his first trip on the road?
(a) On the streets of New York City.
(b) At Old Bull Lee's house in New Orleans.
(c) At Sal's aunt's house in New Jersey.
(d) At Sal's brother's house in Virginia.
4. What does Sal think about his job in Bakersfield?
(a) He loves working close to the earth.
(b) He thinks it is back-breaking work.
(c) He likes the high wages he receives.
(d) He does not like his boss.
5. Where is Sal Paradise living at the beginning of On the Road?
(a) With Carlo Marx in Denver.
(b) With Roland Major in Denver.
(c) With his brother in Virginia.
(d) With his aunt in New Jersey.
6. Who do Sal and his friends stay with in New Orleans?
(a) Old Bull Lee.
(b) Hyman Solomon.
(d) Chad King.
7. Where does Sal travel after his first visit to San Francisco?
8. Why do Sal and his friends leave the party in Central City?
(a) Ray Rawlins got into a fight.
(b) It was too boring.
(c) They ran out of beer.
(d) It became too boisterous for them.
9. How is Rita Bettencourt described?
(a) As a lively party girl.
(b) As a shy girl without much ambition.
(c) As an outspoken woman who advocates for the oppressed.
(d) As an intellectual with rapier-like wit.
10. Which of Sal's friends stayed with Sal's aunt while he was away?
(a) Dean Moriarty.
(b) Chad King.
(c) Old Bull Lee.
(d) Carlo Marx.
11. Where are the two boys from Minnesota headed in their flat bed truck?
(a) To Denver.
(b) To Cheyenne.
(c) To Los Angeles.
(d) To San Antonio.
12. What does Sal think after his date with Rita Bettencourt?
(a) He falls in love with her.
(b) There is no hope of a relationship developing.
(c) He is ambivalent and thinks maybe a second date would help him make up his mind.
(d) He has a good time and asks her for a second date.
13. Where do Sal and Dean decide to visit before returning to San Francisco?
(b) New Orleans.
14. Who sets Sal up with Rita Bettencourt?
(b) Ray Rawlins.
(c) Roland Major.
(d) Dean Moriarty.
15. Why doesn't Sal show up for the first day of his job in Denver?
(a) He is planning on going on the road again with Dean.
(b) He would rather live off of Roland's generosity.
(c) He overslept.
(d) He met a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dean move in with after he breaks up with his girlfriend in New York?
2. What does Sal's aunt do in Washington D.C.?
3. What time of year do Sal and Dean reunite after Sal's first trip?
4. Who is "The Ghost?"
5. Who writes to Sal about the possibility of hopping an ocean liner in San Francisco?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)