|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Remi Boncoeur's girlfriend?
(a) Lee Ann.
2. Who does Sal encounter after his date with Rita Bettencourt?
(b) Some Okies.
(c) Some hobos.
(d) Carlo Marx.
3. What does Old Bull Lee think of Dean?
(a) That he is intriguing.
(b) That he is despicable.
(c) That he is fun.
(d) That he is trouble.
4. Which of Sal's friends stayed with Sal's aunt while he was away?
(a) Chad King.
(b) Carlo Marx.
(c) Dean Moriarty.
(d) Old Bull Lee.
5. What does Sal think about his first visit to Denver?
(a) It is traumatic.
(b) It is inspirational.
(c) It is ungratifying.
(d) It is exuberating.
6. What time of year do Sal and Dean reunite after Sal's first trip?
(a) During Easter.
(b) Thanksgiving time.
(c) Christmas time.
(d) Summer time.
7. How long has it been since Sal has seen Dean since his first trip to San Francisco?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) Two years.
8. What does Sal realize about his relationship with Lucille during his return stay in New York City?
(a) It will work because Lucille has a zeal for traveling.
(b) It is what he desires because she can ground him.
(c) It cannot work because she insists on changing him.
(d) It cannot work because she is so irresponsible.
9. Who was born on the road?
(a) Dean Moriarty.
(b) Sal Paradise.
(c) Carlo Marx.
(d) Chad King.
10. What does Sal think after his date with Rita Bettencourt?
(a) He falls in love with her.
(b) He has a good time and asks her for a second date.
(c) He is ambivalent and thinks maybe a second date would help him make up his mind.
(d) There is no hope of a relationship developing.
11. What does Sal think about his job in Bakersfield?
(a) He loves working close to the earth.
(b) He likes the high wages he receives.
(c) He thinks it is back-breaking work.
(d) He does not like his boss.
12. While Sal is witnessing one of Dean and Carlo's all night sessions, he concludes they are __________________________. (fill in the blank)
(a) Genuine beatniks.
(b) Amazing maniacs.
(c) Amazing saints.
(d) Cool hipsters.
13. What is Sal's relationship with the Mexican woman he met on the bus?
(a) They despise each other.
(b) They are inseparable.
(c) They are unfriendly.
(d) They are cordial.
14. What is one of the things Sal enjoys doing in New Orleans?
(a) Bar hopping on Bourbon Street.
(b) Witnessing a jazz funeral.
(c) Exploring the voodoo culture.
(d) Listening to Old Bull's stories.
15. How does Sal feel about the friendship between Dean Moriarty and his friend?
(a) He feels invigorated.
(b) He feels left out.
(c) He feels like the center of attention.
(d) He feels indifferent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sal see that makes him feel that he is closer to Denver?
2. Who does Sal seek out when he first arrives in San Francisco?
3. Who are the two women in Dean's life in Denver?
4. What do Carlo and Dean take to help them stay up all night for their chat sessions?
5. Where does Dean want to travel before his divorce with Marylou?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)