Part 1, Chapters 1 and 2
• Sal Paradise is introduced to Dean Moriarty who has recently been released from a reformatory.
• Dean later visits Sal and asks him to teach him how to write; Dean soon moves in with Sal.
• Dean is introduced to Carlo Marx and they become instant friends which makes Sal feel alienated.
• Dean has saved up enough money working as a parking attendant to travel out West.
• Sal wants to accompany Dean to get to know him better.
• Sal leaves New York in July 1947, with fifty dollars in veterans benefits.
• Remi Boncoeur, a friend from prep school living in California, has invited Sal to take a round-the-world trip on an ocean liner with him.
• Sal reluctantly buys a bus ticket from New York to Chicago with a large portion of his money.
Part 1, Chapters 3, 4 and 5
• Sal begins hitching rides and makes it to Iowa.
• Sal meets another...
This section contains 2,001 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)