|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Scallop tell Ned about his birth?
(a) It was a very stormy night when Ned arrived.
(b) It brought on Mama's rheumatism.
(c) It was very easy for his mama.
(d) She knows nothing about Ned's birth.
2. How old is Ned when his mother becomes ill?
3. What does the narrator say about Mr. Scully's bed?
(a) His bed is four feet high.
(b) He never uses sheets.
(c) He only uses one sheet.
(d) He sleeps on the floor.
4. What does Mrs. Scallop say would happen if Ned does not blow out all his birthday candles?
(a) A strange fate would befall him.
(b) His father would not return.
(c) His birthday next year will be late.
(d) He wouldn't get his wish.
5. When does James say Ned can have his present?
(a) When Ned is 14.
(b) When Ned proves he is responsible by caring for the cows.
(c) When Ned takes a course on fencing.
(d) When Ned turns 16.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hilary?
2. What is one chore Ned does for Mr. Scully?
3. What does Ned believe about his mother and Hilary?
4. What is Powerful Katinka?
5. Where does Ned realize his father is taking his present?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the date and location of the setting for "One-Eyed Cat", and what is the significance of the time period?
2. What does Ned's father instruct Ned about being a guest for supper at the Brewsters, and why does his father say that?
3. What does Ned remember about life before his Mama becomes ill?
4. What does Ned's mama give Ned for his birthday and what embarrasses Ned after a question she asks him?
5. Describe a typical routine for Ned and Mr. Scully when Ned is over there.
6. What does Ned's uncle Hilary give Ned for his birthday and why is Ned's father upset?
7. Briefly describe Evie Kimball and her family.
8. What do Ned and his friends discuss on the way to school and how does Ned make Evelyn feel a little flustered?
9. What animal do Ned and Mr. Scully watch from the window and what does Ned do for the animal?
10. How is Ned's birthday celebrated in his classroom?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)