|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is James Willis upset with Hilary?
(a) James is not upset with Hilary.
(b) James wishes Hilary would not waste money.
(c) James thinks Ned's birthday gift is not appropriate.
(d) James thinks Hilary makes James look bad.
2. In what area of the country does Ned and his family live?
(a) The Pochonos.
(b) The coastal region of Georgia.
(c) The Hudson River Valley.
(d) The Appalachians of Kentucky.
3. In what decades is the novel set?
4. What does Ned do as his father pays the visit?
(a) Sits in the car.
(b) Sits quietly in a chair.
(c) In the nurses's station.
(d) Plays outside.
5. Of what is Ned afraid if his dad learns of the rifle incident?
(a) That his dad will beat him.
(b) That his dad will tell his mother.
(c) That his dad will never give him the rifle.
(d) That his father will be disappointed in him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Ned feel a little jealous?
2. When does he want to take Ned?
3. Who has cake and lemonade in Ned's mother's room?
4. What does Ned have trouble doing that his father told him to do?
5. In what country does Hilary buy a butterfly enclosed in glass?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ned Wallis.
2. What impression does Ned receive on his way back from shooting the rifle and of what does that remind Ned?
3. Why does Ned feel concerned about his mama and when did this start?
4. Briefly describe Evie Kimball and her family.
5. How does Mrs. Scallop upset Ned about his birth and what does his mother say about it?
6. What disconcerting statement does Mrs. Scallop say about Ned's birthday candles and what does she give Ned for his birthday?
7. What does Ned's uncle Hilary give Ned for his birthday and why is Ned's father upset?
8. What does Ned's mama give Ned for his birthday and what embarrasses Ned after a question she asks him?
9. Where was Ned's favorite place to walk when he was very young?
10. With whom do Ned and his father have Sunday dinner and what is served?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)