|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Scallop?
(a) Ned's current teacher.
(b) The first housekeeper for the Wallis family.
(c) The present housekeeper for the Wallis family.
(d) The next-door neighbor to the Wallis family.
2. Who has cake and lemonade in Ned's mother's room?
(a) Ned and his older brother who comes home for the ocassion.
(b) Just Ned as his father has been called out to a death.
(c) Papa, Ned and Mrs. Scallop.
(d) Just Ned and Mrs. Scallop as his father has been called out to a death.
3. What does Ned think about Mr. Scully?
(a) He's scary.
(b) He's not right in the head.
(c) He's mean.
(d) He's old fashioned.
4. Where do Ned and his father eat supper on the Sunday before Ned's birthday?
(a) At a diner.
(b) The Brewsters.
(c) At home for once.
(d) The Thortons.
5. What does Mrs. Scallop tell Ned about his birth?
(a) It brought on Mama's rheumatism.
(b) It was very easy for his mama.
(c) She knows nothing about Ned's birth.
(d) It was a very stormy night when Ned arrived.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Scallop say would happen if Ned does not blow out all his birthday candles?
2. Why does Ned not mind listening to Mr. Scully ramble?
3. When does he want to take Ned?
4. What does Mrs. Scallop sometimes lapse into?
5. What does Mama mention that embarrasses Ned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Wallis family gather downstairs during the night?
2. What do Ned and his friends discuss on the way to school and how does Ned make Evelyn feel a little flustered?
3. What does Ned's uncle Hilary give Ned for his birthday and why is Ned's father upset?
4. What is the date and location of the setting for "One-Eyed Cat", and what is the significance of the time period?
5. How does Ned think his father would react if he knew about Ned taking the rifle out late at night and shooting it, contrary to Mr. Willis' orders?
6. How does Ned feel about having a meal with a family in his father's congregation?
7. What does Ned's mama give Ned for his birthday and what embarrasses Ned after a question she asks him?
8. What is the first lie Ned has ever told his mama?
9. Describe a couple souvenirs Ned has received from his uncle Hilary?
10. What has Ned noticed about Mrs. Scallop's underlying emotion and of whom does she remind Ned?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)