|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what area of the country does Ned and his family live?
(a) The Hudson River Valley.
(b) The Pochonos.
(c) The coastal region of Georgia.
(d) The Appalachians of Kentucky.
2. What did Ned feel on the day of the visit with his father years ago that he felt when he went out in the night?
(a) That life was far beyond his comprehension.
(b) That he was older than his father realized.
(c) That he was never going to understand his father.
(d) That he was being watched.
3. What does Mrs. Scallop tell Ned about his birth?
(a) It was a very stormy night when Ned arrived.
(b) She knows nothing about Ned's birth.
(c) It was very easy for his mama.
(d) It brought on Mama's rheumatism.
4. What does the narrator say about the Brewster's lifestyle?
(a) They are very poor.
(b) Typical middle class.
(c) It is extravagant for the money the family has.
(d) Very high class and ostentatious but they can afford it.
5. What does Mr. Scully never use?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom had the present once belonged?
2. How old is Mr. Scully?
3. What does Doris send Mr. Scully about once a month?
4. Who is Mrs. Scallop?
5. About what does Ned lie to his mama?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a couple things about Mr. Scully that makes him seem eccentric.
2. What had Ned's father told him about the Daisy air rifle and how does Ned comply?
3. What does Ned remember about life before his Mama becomes ill?
4. How is Ned's birthday celebrated in his classroom?
5. What impression does Ned receive on his way back from shooting the rifle and of what does that remind Ned?
6. What does Ned's father instruct Ned about being a guest for supper at the Brewsters, and why does his father say that?
7. How does Mrs. Scallop upset Ned about his birth and what does his mother say about it?
8. What is Mr. Scully's relationship like with his daughter Doris?
9. Describe a typical routine for Ned and Mr. Scully when Ned is over there.
10. What does Ned think Mr. Scully needs, and how does Ned feel about that?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)