|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ned learn from Doris?
(a) That Mr. Scully's sister is coming to live in the house.
(b) That Doris is moving back into the house.
(c) That Mr. Scully is moving out to live with Doris.
(d) That Mr. Scully's house is going up for sale.
2. How does Ned help Janet?
(a) He cleans the chalkboards everyday.
(b) He picks up her books she dropped.
(c) He tells her about the one-eyed cat.
(d) He sweeps out the basement.
3. What does Ned bring down from Mr. Scully's attic?
(a) A packet of sparklers.
(b) A globe.
(c) A leather satchel.
(d) A costume.
4. Where is Hilary's next destination?
(c) Hong Kong.
5. What does Ned think about as he leaves the nursing home?
(a) The pain of aging.
(b) The times Mr. Scully would laugh until he had tears in his eyes.
(c) The mementos Mr. Scully threw out.
(d) Shooting the cat.
6. What is at the place Hilary intends to visit?
(a) A monastery.
(b) Native flowers Hilary wants to study.
(c) A leper colony.
(d) Some pyramid ruins.
7. What is lying on an old icebox in Mr. Scully's shed?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A dead coon.
(c) A pistol.
(d) The one-eyed cat.
8. What type of arthritis does Mama have?
(a) Lupus arthritis.
(d) Psoriatic arthritis.
9. From where does an ambulance have to come?
(d) Oak Hill.
10. Where does Ned go after he finds Mr. Scully?
(b) To the police station.
(c) To the church.
(d) To the Kimball house.
11. What is missing from the yard at Mr. Scully's house?
(a) Mr. Scully's car.
(b) The plow.
(c) Several rose bushes.
(d) The trellis.
12. Who arrives where Ned is sitting?
(b) His papa.
(d) His mama.
13. What does Evelyn tell Ned about an abandoned house?
(a) Her parents want to buy it.
(b) Drifters live there.
(c) It is up for sale.
(d) It is haunted.
14. Where does Evelyn Kimball's father work?
(a) A junkyard.
(b) A grocery store.
(c) A mine.
(d) A garage.
15. What do Ned and Billy discuss?
(a) Going to a school dance.
(b) Learning to speed skate.
(c) The possibility of playing hockey with the bigger boys.
(d) Making the baseball team in the Spring.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ned do after-school chores?
2. Where is Billy Gaskell's family moving?
3. What does Ned wish about his upcoming Christmas vacation?
4. What does Nurse Clay tell Ned?
5. What does Ned find as he sits at his secret place and looks out at the countryside?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)