|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ned know about Mr. Scully and the man's house?
(a) Mr. Scully signed the house over to his daughter.
(b) Mr. Scully loves to be in his own house.
(c) Mr. Scully will probably not be returning home.
(d) Mr. Scully built the house himself.
2. What is lying on an old icebox in Mr. Scully's shed?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A dead coon.
(c) A rifle.
(d) The one-eyed cat.
3. What does Nurse Clay tell Ned?
(a) That Mr. Scully died two days earlier.
(b) That Mr. Scully had been moved to live with his daughter.
(c) That Mr. Scully is in the hospital in Waterville.
(d) That Mr. Scully is in a coma.
4. How do Mama and Papa feel about what she tells Ned?
(a) They do not tell Ned anything.
5. Who is Janet?
(a) A janitor.
(b) A school friend.
(c) The town gossip.
(d) A teacher.
6. Where does Hilary suggest taking a ferry?
(a) An island where wild ponies live.
(b) An island that has many exotic birds.
(c) To an island which is inhabited by many varieties of fox.
(d) He actually says the ferry no longer runs.
7. What do Ned and Billy do after Ned helps Janet?
(a) Get into a fistfight.
(b) Throw snowballs at passing cars.
(d) Steal some eggs.
8. What does Ned find as he sits at his secret place and looks out at the countryside?
(a) A glint of metal.
(b) Two old journals.
(d) An opening in the brush.
9. How does Hilary intend to get to his next destination?
(a) A steamer.
(c) A junk.
(d) He is not sure.
10. When does a heavy snow fall in Chapter V?
(a) On Christmas day.
(b) It does not snow, which is unusual.
(c) On the first of December.
(d) On Thanksgiving day.
11. What does Mama tell Ned about her arthritis?
(a) There is a new treatment for it.
(b) It is almost gone.
(d) It is much worse.
12. What has gone from Mr. Scully's house?
(a) Mr. Scully's buggy.
(b) The "for sale" sign.
(c) The old coonskin cap.
(d) The leather portfolio.
13. What does Ned notice leading up to the shed?
(a) Mountain lion prints.
(b) Mr. Scully's footprints in the snow.
(c) Mr. Scully's footprints in the mud.
(d) Bear prints.
14. Where is Hilary going to visit?
15. What does Mama tell Ned about the same house?
(a) It is just abandoned.
(c) It's too dangerous for him to wander inside.
(d) It has a lot of potential.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food did the cat eat from Mr. Scully?
2. What does Ned realize about Mr. Scully and Ned's confession?
3. What does Ned learn from Doris?
4. What does Ned think about as he leaves the nursing home?
5. What does Mr. Scully promise to continue doing?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)