|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ned know about Mr. Scully and the man's house?
(a) Mr. Scully signed the house over to his daughter.
(b) Mr. Scully loves to be in his own house.
(c) Mr. Scully built the house himself.
(d) Mr. Scully will probably not be returning home.
2. What does Ned realize about Mr. Scully and Ned's confession?
(a) Mr. Scully thinks Ned's mother is wonderful.
(b) Mr. Scully is the only person who knows what Ned did.
(c) Mr. Scully believes the rifle is not Ned's problem.
(d) Mr. Scully might also be afraid of dying.
3. What does Ned bring down from Mr. Scully's attic?
(a) A costume.
(b) A leather satchel.
(c) A packet of sparklers.
(d) A globe.
4. What does Ned avoid approaching?
(a) A broken water main.
(b) The grave where his grandfather is buried.
(c) One of the town bullies.
(d) The cat on the icebox.
5. Where does Ned do after-school chores?
(a) Mr. Scully's house.
(b) The school.
(c) At home.
(d) The church.
6. What does Mr. Scully tell Ned about the one-eyed cat?
(a) That it has recovered.
(b) That it is dead.
(c) That it had kittens.
(d) That it has disappeared.
7. Why does Mrs. Scallop cry?
(a) Her mother died a year ago that day.
(b) Her daughter is ill.
(c) Ned snaps at her.
(d) She is not feeling well.
8. Who is Janet?
(a) The town gossip.
(b) A janitor.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A school friend.
9. What does Ned tell his mother about Christmas vacation?
(a) He is really excited about the pony island.
(b) He is really excited about the fox island.
(c) He does not want to go with his uncle.
(d) He wants her to go, too.
10. Who does Ned encounter one day at Mr. Scully's house?
(a) Mrs. Kimball.
(b) No one.
(d) A bear.
11. Who is Billy Gaskell?
(a) A boy who calls Ned a mean name.
(b) Ned's best friend.
(c) Janet's son.
(d) Ned's second cousin.
12. Where does Hilary suggest taking a ferry?
(a) To an island which is inhabited by many varieties of fox.
(b) An island that has many exotic birds.
(c) An island where wild ponies live.
(d) He actually says the ferry no longer runs.
13. Where does Ned go on the way to school?
(a) Billy's house.
(b) Mr. Scully's home.
(c) The church.
(d) The cemetary.
14. How does Mrs. Scallop feel about her new job?
15. Where does Evelyn Kimball's father work?
(a) A garage.
(b) A grocery store.
(c) A mine.
(d) A junkyard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ned wish about his upcoming Christmas vacation?
2. How do Mama and Papa feel about what she tells Ned?
3. What does Ned find as he sits at his secret place and looks out at the countryside?
4. Where does Ned go to visit?
5. Where does Ned find the one-eyed cat?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)