|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ned think about as he leaves the nursing home?
(a) The mementos Mr. Scully threw out.
(b) The pain of aging.
(c) The times Mr. Scully would laugh until he had tears in his eyes.
(d) Shooting the cat.
2. What does Mr. Scully promise to continue doing?
(a) Write his daughter.
(b) Keep Ned doing chores and paying him.
(c) Feed the cat.
(d) Taking his medicine.
3. About what does Ned ask Mrs. Kinball?
(a) The history of the Makepeace mansion.
(b) The reason she became a nurse.
(c) Why Mrs. Scallop cried all the time.
(d) If her daughter Evelyn is really going to be in the movies.
4. Where does Ned find the one-eyed cat?
(a) Under an old tractor.
(b) Under the front porch.
(c) In the shed.
(d) He can't find it.
5. What is at the place Hilary intends to visit?
(a) A monastery.
(b) Native flowers Hilary wants to study.
(c) Some pyramid ruins.
(d) A leper colony.
6. What does Ned tell his mother about Christmas vacation?
(a) He is really excited about the fox island.
(b) He is really excited about the pony island.
(c) He wants her to go, too.
(d) He does not want to go with his uncle.
7. Who does Ned encounter one day at Mr. Scully's house?
(b) Mrs. Kimball.
(c) No one.
(d) A bear.
8. What does Nurse Clay tell Ned?
(a) That Mr. Scully is in a coma.
(b) That Mr. Scully died two days earlier.
(c) That Mr. Scully had been moved to live with his daughter.
(d) That Mr. Scully is in the hospital in Waterville.
9. What does Ned wish about his upcoming Christmas vacation?
(a) That he could stay home.
(b) That they could go to Florida.
(c) That his parents were going.
(d) That his older brother could also go with them.
10. After Ned apologizes and goes to his room, about what does he worry?
(b) Mrs. Scallop.
(c) The cat and his mom.
(d) The upcoming vacation.
11. What news does Ned receive that lightens his mood?
(a) Mr. Scully's promise to continue to feed the one-eyed cat.
(b) He is expected to play basketball this year.
(c) Mrs. Scallop is moving to California.
(d) His mother is walking outside.
12. Who is Janet?
(a) A school friend.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A janitor.
(d) The town gossip.
13. What does Mama say to Ned about Mrs. Scallop?
(a) She is going to start working only parttime.
(b) Ned should be nicer to her.
(c) Papa found her a job in a nursing home.
(d) She is dying.
14. What does Ned do on the veranda at the place he visits?
(d) Plays with his toy soldiers.
15. What does Ned find as he sits at his secret place and looks out at the countryside?
(a) A glint of metal.
(b) Two old journals.
(d) An opening in the brush.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Scully think about the one-eyed cat?
2. Where does Ned go to visit?
3. What does Evelyn get as a result of her father earning more money?
4. Where is Hilary going to visit?
5. How do Mama and Papa feel about what she tells Ned?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)