|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Billy Gaskell?
(a) A boy who calls Ned a mean name.
(b) Ned's best friend.
(c) Janet's son.
(d) Ned's second cousin.
2. How does Mrs. Scallop feel about her new job?
3. What does Nurse Clay tell Ned?
(a) That Mr. Scully is in a coma.
(b) That Mr. Scully is in the hospital in Waterville.
(c) That Mr. Scully died two days earlier.
(d) That Mr. Scully had been moved to live with his daughter.
4. What do Ned and Billy discuss?
(a) The possibility of playing hockey with the bigger boys.
(b) Making the baseball team in the Spring.
(c) Learning to speed skate.
(d) Going to a school dance.
5. What does Ned realize about Mr. Scully and Ned's confession?
(a) Mr. Scully is the only person who knows what Ned did.
(b) Mr. Scully might also be afraid of dying.
(c) Mr. Scully believes the rifle is not Ned's problem.
(d) Mr. Scully thinks Ned's mother is wonderful.
6. Where is Billy Gaskell's family moving?
(d) New York.
7. What does the Wallis family receive in the mail?
(a) A check from Papa's great aunt who dies.
(b) Another exciting letter from Hilary.
(c) A refund from the government.
(d) A check from Mama's great aunt who dies.
8. What does Ned notice leading up to the shed?
(a) Mr. Scully's footprints in the snow.
(b) Mr. Scully's footprints in the mud.
(c) Mountain lion prints.
(d) Bear prints.
9. Where does Ned tell Papa he wants to go?
(a) With his uncle to Greece.
(b) To visit Mr. Scully again.
(c) To visit Washington, D. C.
(d) To his grandparents' house in the summer.
10. About what does Ned ask Mrs. Kinball?
(a) Why Mrs. Scallop cried all the time.
(b) If her daughter Evelyn is really going to be in the movies.
(c) The reason she became a nurse.
(d) The history of the Makepeace mansion.
11. What does Ned notice about Evelyn's attitude?
(a) It is snotty.
(b) It is coy.
(c) It is more grown up.
(d) It has not changed.
12. How does Hilary intend to get to his next destination?
(b) A junk.
(c) A steamer.
(d) He is not sure.
13. What does Papa notice when he and Ned are trimming the Christmas tree?
(b) Ned's mother is happy.
(c) Ned is feverish.
(d) Ned has outgrown is new pants.
14. From where does an ambulance have to come?
(d) Oak Hill.
15. Where does Ned find Mr. Scully one day?
(a) Working in the shed.
(b) Lying face down in a hallway.
(c) Down in the basement.
(d) Lying in the yard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is going to help look after Ned's mother?
2. How do Mama and Papa feel about what she tells Ned?
3. When does a heavy snow fall in Chapter V?
4. What is lying on an old icebox in Mr. Scully's shed?
5. Who arrives where Ned is sitting?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)