|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Papa notice when he and Ned are trimming the Christmas tree?
(a) Ned is feverish.
(b) Ned's mother is happy.
(d) Ned has outgrown is new pants.
2. How does Hilary intend to get to his next destination?
(a) He is not sure.
(c) A junk.
(d) A steamer.
3. How are Mama's treatments working?
(b) Not at all.
(c) Not too well.
(d) It's too early to tell.
4. What does Ned and his mother see?
(a) A white dog.
(b) A shooting star.
(c) The one-eyed cat.
(d) Mr. Scully's ghost.
5. Where does Ned go after he finds Mr. Scully?
(a) To the Kimball house.
(b) To the church.
(d) To the police station.
6. What does Ned learn about Mr. Scully?
(a) He is expected to die any day.
(b) He is recovering but cannot speak.
(c) He is well enough to now move out West.
(d) He is just starting to speak again.
7. How does Mrs. Scallop feel about her new job?
8. Where does he go on his walk?
(a) The woods where he shot the air rifle.
(b) The garden.
(c) The Makepeace mansion.
(d) The front pasture.
9. What still worries Ned after he returns home from Mr. Scully's house?
(a) His father's bad back.
(b) Doris not seeing her father more often.
(c) His mother's new treatment.
(d) The one-eyed cat.
10. Where is Hilary's next destination?
(a) Hong Kong.
11. What scares Ned a little about his mama?
(a) Her depression.
(b) Her weight loss.
(c) Her failure to respond to the new treatment.
(d) Her happiness.
12. What What does Mr. Scully instruct Ned to throw out?
(a) Some mice-infested grain.
(b) Some mementos from Doris' childhood.
(c) Some old canned goods.
(d) Some mice-infested blankets.
13. What does Ned's mother remind Ned to do?
(a) Accept the bad.
(b) Become what he wants.
(d) Accept the good.
14. What does Mr. Scully think about the one-eyed cat?
(a) It is pregnant.
(b) It needs to live in the shed in the winter.
(c) It is not feral.
(d) It is sick.
15. What does Ned dream of for the next few days?
(a) The horse island.
(b) The ferry sinking.
(c) The one-eyed cat.
(d) The fox island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Evelyn get as a result of her father earning more money?
2. What does Evelyn tell Ned about an abandoned house?
3. What does Mama tell Ned about her arthritis?
4. To whom does Ned apologize?
5. What does Hilary promise to Ned?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)