|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Scully promise to continue doing?
(a) Write his daughter.
(b) Feed the cat.
(c) Keep Ned doing chores and paying him.
(d) Taking his medicine.
2. What does Ned think about as he leaves the nursing home?
(a) The mementos Mr. Scully threw out.
(b) The times Mr. Scully would laugh until he had tears in his eyes.
(c) Shooting the cat.
(d) The pain of aging.
3. What does Ned do on the veranda at the place he visits?
(b) Plays with his toy soldiers.
4. Where does Ned go on the way to school?
(a) Billy's house.
(b) Mr. Scully's home.
(c) The cemetary.
(d) The church.
5. What does Evelyn get as a result of her father earning more money?
(a) A new hat.
(d) Drawing materials.
6. What still worries Ned after he returns home from Mr. Scully's house?
(a) Doris not seeing her father more often.
(b) His mother's new treatment.
(c) His father's bad back.
(d) The one-eyed cat.
7. What does the Wallis family receive in the mail?
(a) A check from Mama's great aunt who dies.
(b) A refund from the government.
(c) Another exciting letter from Hilary.
(d) A check from Papa's great aunt who dies.
8. Where is Billy Gaskell's family moving?
(c) New York.
9. When does a heavy snow fall in Chapter V?
(a) On Christmas day.
(b) It does not snow, which is unusual.
(c) On Thanksgiving day.
(d) On the first of December.
10. What does Papa notice when he and Ned are trimming the Christmas tree?
(a) Ned's mother is happy.
(c) Ned has outgrown is new pants.
(d) Ned is feverish.
11. What worries Ned about the one-eyed cat?
(a) Its leg appears to be broken.
(b) It is bleeding.
(c) It is moaning.
(d) It hasn't moved since the morning.
12. Who arrives where Ned is sitting?
(b) His papa.
(c) His mama.
13. Where does Evelyn Kimball's father work?
(a) A grocery store.
(b) A mine.
(c) A garage.
(d) A junkyard.
14. What does Mr. Scully think about the one-eyed cat?
(a) It is pregnant.
(b) It is sick.
(c) It is not feral.
(d) It needs to live in the shed in the winter.
15. What does Mama say to Ned about Mrs. Scallop?
(a) Papa found her a job in a nursing home.
(b) She is dying.
(c) Ned should be nicer to her.
(d) She is going to start working only parttime.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Scallop cry?
2. What does Mrs. Kimball say about Mr. Scully?
3. What does Ned bring down from Mr. Scully's attic?
4. What does Ned notice leading up to the shed?
5. What does Ned find as he sits at his secret place and looks out at the countryside?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)