|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Ned receive that lightens his mood?
(a) Mr. Scully's promise to continue to feed the one-eyed cat.
(b) Mrs. Scallop is moving to California.
(c) His mother is walking outside.
(d) He is expected to play basketball this year.
2. Where does Hilary suggest taking a ferry?
(a) To an island which is inhabited by many varieties of fox.
(b) An island that has many exotic birds.
(c) He actually says the ferry no longer runs.
(d) An island where wild ponies live.
3. Who is Billy Gaskell?
(a) Ned's best friend.
(b) Ned's second cousin.
(c) Janet's son.
(d) A boy who calls Ned a mean name.
4. What does Papa notice when he and Ned are trimming the Christmas tree?
(b) Ned has outgrown is new pants.
(c) Ned is feverish.
(d) Ned's mother is happy.
5. What does Mama tell Ned about the same house?
(a) It's too dangerous for him to wander inside.
(c) It is just abandoned.
(d) It has a lot of potential.
6. What is different about the letter Ned receives from his uncle?
(a) It is addressed directly to him.
(b) It is typed.
(c) It is a postcard inside an envelope.
(d) It is postmarked in Italy.
7. After Ned apologizes and goes to his room, about what does he worry?
(b) The upcoming vacation.
(c) Mrs. Scallop.
(d) The cat and his mom.
8. What has been taken down at Mr. Scully's house?
(a) The porch.
(b) The water barrel.
(c) The swing.
(d) The outhouse.
9. What does Evelyn tell Ned about an abandoned house?
(a) Drifters live there.
(b) It is up for sale.
(c) Her parents want to buy it.
(d) It is haunted.
10. What does Mr. Scully tell Ned about the one-eyed cat?
(a) That it has recovered.
(b) That it has disappeared.
(c) That it is dead.
(d) That it had kittens.
11. What does Mrs. Kimball say about Mr. Scully?
(a) He probably suffered a stroke.
(b) He is a God-fearing man.
(c) He is a difficult, embattled old man.
(d) He is stubborn.
12. What is now stacked at the back door of Mr. Scully's house?
(a) The lumber from taking the outhouse apart.
(b) Newspapers from inside the house.
(c) Planter pots.
(d) Canned goods.
13. What does Mama tell Ned about her arthritis?
(b) It is almost gone.
(c) It is much worse.
(d) There is a new treatment for it.
14. How are Mama's treatments working?
(a) It's too early to tell.
(b) Not too well.
(c) Not at all.
15. Who is Janet?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A school friend.
(c) A janitor.
(d) The town gossip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ned think about as he leaves the nursing home?
2. What does Ned tell his mother about Christmas vacation?
3. Where does Evelyn Kimball's father work?
4. What is at the place Hilary intends to visit?
5. What does Mr. Scully think about the one-eyed cat?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)