|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hilary promise to Ned?
(a) To take him to visit an aunt Ned has never met.
(b) To bring him home early if he gets homesick.
(c) To let him know when vacation plans are finalized.
(d) To teach him to deep sea fish.
2. How does Ned help Janet?
(a) He picks up her books she dropped.
(b) He cleans the chalkboards everyday.
(c) He tells her about the one-eyed cat.
(d) He sweeps out the basement.
3. What does Mr. Scully think about the one-eyed cat?
(a) It needs to live in the shed in the winter.
(b) It is pregnant.
(c) It is sick.
(d) It is not feral.
4. How does Hilary intend to get to his next destination?
(a) A junk.
(b) A steamer.
(c) He is not sure.
5. Who is Janet?
(a) The town gossip.
(b) A school friend.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A janitor.
6. What does Ned learn from Doris?
(a) That Mr. Scully's sister is coming to live in the house.
(b) That Mr. Scully's house is going up for sale.
(c) That Doris is moving back into the house.
(d) That Mr. Scully is moving out to live with Doris.
7. What does Ned avoid approaching?
(a) The cat on the icebox.
(b) A broken water main.
(c) The grave where his grandfather is buried.
(d) One of the town bullies.
8. After Ned apologizes and goes to his room, about what does he worry?
(b) The upcoming vacation.
(c) Mrs. Scallop.
(d) The cat and his mom.
9. What What does Mr. Scully instruct Ned to throw out?
(a) Some mementos from Doris' childhood.
(b) Some mice-infested grain.
(c) Some mice-infested blankets.
(d) Some old canned goods.
10. What news does Ned receive that lightens his mood?
(a) Mrs. Scallop is moving to California.
(b) Mr. Scully's promise to continue to feed the one-eyed cat.
(c) His mother is walking outside.
(d) He is expected to play basketball this year.
11. What does Ned notice leading up to the shed?
(a) Mountain lion prints.
(b) Mr. Scully's footprints in the mud.
(c) Bear prints.
(d) Mr. Scully's footprints in the snow.
12. What does Evelyn tell Ned about an abandoned house?
(a) Her parents want to buy it.
(b) Drifters live there.
(c) It is up for sale.
(d) It is haunted.
13. Where is Hilary going to visit?
14. What is different about the letter Ned receives from his uncle?
(a) It is postmarked in Italy.
(b) It is typed.
(c) It is a postcard inside an envelope.
(d) It is addressed directly to him.
15. Why does Mrs. Scallop cry?
(a) Her mother died a year ago that day.
(b) She is not feeling well.
(c) Her daughter is ill.
(d) Ned snaps at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ned tell his mother about Christmas vacation?
2. Where does he go on his walk?
3. What does Mama tell Ned about her arthritis?
4. Who is Billy Gaskell?
5. Where does Evelyn Kimball's father work?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)