|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What topic does Ned's mother ask Ned about which he does not answer?
(a) About the one-eyed cat.
(b) About his grades.
(c) About his fight with Mrs. Scallop.
(d) About the vacation with Hilary.
2. What does Ned's mother remind Ned to do?
(a) Accept the bad.
(b) Accept the good.
(c) Become what he wants.
3. About what does Ned ask Mrs. Kinball?
(a) If her daughter Evelyn is really going to be in the movies.
(b) The reason she became a nurse.
(c) Why Mrs. Scallop cried all the time.
(d) The history of the Makepeace mansion.
4. Where is Hilary's next destination?
(d) Hong Kong.
5. When does Ned go out for a walk?
(a) On a moonlit night.
(b) Early morning.
(c) Early evening.
(d) Late afternoon.
6. What still worries Ned after he returns home from Mr. Scully's house?
(a) The one-eyed cat.
(b) His father's bad back.
(c) His mother's new treatment.
(d) Doris not seeing her father more often.
7. What does Ned realize about Mr. Scully and Ned's confession?
(a) Mr. Scully is the only person who knows what Ned did.
(b) Mr. Scully might also be afraid of dying.
(c) Mr. Scully thinks Ned's mother is wonderful.
(d) Mr. Scully believes the rifle is not Ned's problem.
8. What does Evelyn tell Ned about an abandoned house?
(a) Drifters live there.
(b) It is up for sale.
(c) It is haunted.
(d) Her parents want to buy it.
9. What does Ned learn from Doris?
(a) That Mr. Scully's house is going up for sale.
(b) That Mr. Scully is moving out to live with Doris.
(c) That Doris is moving back into the house.
(d) That Mr. Scully's sister is coming to live in the house.
10. What does Hilary promise to Ned?
(a) To teach him to deep sea fish.
(b) To bring him home early if he gets homesick.
(c) To let him know when vacation plans are finalized.
(d) To take him to visit an aunt Ned has never met.
11. What does Mr. Scully tell Ned about the one-eyed cat?
(a) That it has disappeared.
(b) That it had kittens.
(c) That it has recovered.
(d) That it is dead.
12. What type of arthritis does Mama have?
(a) Psoriatic arthritis.
(b) Lupus arthritis.
13. How do Mama and Papa feel about what she tells Ned?
(b) They do not tell Ned anything.
14. What is lying on an old icebox in Mr. Scully's shed?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A dead coon.
(c) The one-eyed cat.
(d) A pistol.
15. Who does Ned encounter one day at Mr. Scully's house?
(a) Mrs. Kimball.
(b) No one.
(d) A bear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Evelyn get as a result of her father earning more money?
2. What is different about the letter Ned receives from his uncle?
3. When does a heavy snow fall in Chapter V?
4. Where does Ned tell Papa he wants to go?
5. How does Mrs. Scallop feel about her new job?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)