|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ned learn about Mr. Scully?
(a) He is expected to die any day.
(b) He is just starting to speak again.
(c) He is recovering but cannot speak.
(d) He is well enough to now move out West.
2. What does Ned figure his father will begin doing?
(a) Taking over Sunday services for another preacher who just died.
(b) Driving his mother to the doctor in the city.
(c) Picking up Mr. Scully's groceries.
(d) Teaching Ned how to drive the tractor.
3. What does Ned feel about himself?
(a) He is sad.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He is changing.
(d) He is depressed.
4. What still worries Ned after he returns home from Mr. Scully's house?
(a) The one-eyed cat.
(b) His father's bad back.
(c) Doris not seeing her father more often.
(d) His mother's new treatment.
5. What does Ned bring down from Mr. Scully's attic?
(a) A leather satchel.
(b) A globe.
(c) A costume.
(d) A packet of sparklers.
6. What is different about the letter Ned receives from his uncle?
(a) It is a postcard inside an envelope.
(b) It is typed.
(c) It is addressed directly to him.
(d) It is postmarked in Italy.
7. What do Ned and Billy discuss?
(a) Learning to speed skate.
(b) Making the baseball team in the Spring.
(c) Going to a school dance.
(d) The possibility of playing hockey with the bigger boys.
8. To whom does Ned apologize?
(a) His teacher.
(b) His mother.
(c) Mrs. Scully.
(d) His father.
9. What does Mama tell Ned about her arthritis?
(b) There is a new treatment for it.
(c) It is almost gone.
(d) It is much worse.
10. What does the Wallis family receive in the mail?
(a) A refund from the government.
(b) A check from Papa's great aunt who dies.
(c) A check from Mama's great aunt who dies.
(d) Another exciting letter from Hilary.
11. How does Mrs. Scallop feel about her new job?
12. What does Mama say to Ned about Mrs. Scallop?
(a) Ned should be nicer to her.
(b) She is going to start working only parttime.
(c) Papa found her a job in a nursing home.
(d) She is dying.
13. From where does an ambulance have to come?
(d) Oak Hill.
14. What does Ned admit to Mr. Scully on another trip to see the man?
(a) That Ned does not ever want to shoot the rifle again.
(b) That Ned shot the cat and put out its eye.
(c) That Ned is afraid of his mother dying.
(d) That Ned is afraid of death.
15. Where does Ned go after he finds Mr. Scully?
(b) To the police station.
(c) To the church.
(d) To the Kimball house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hilary's next destination?
2. What is lying on an old icebox in Mr. Scully's shed?
3. Who does Ned encounter one day at Mr. Scully's house?
4. How does Hilary intend to get to his next destination?
5. What does Ned tell his mother about Christmas vacation?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)