|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Ned receive that lightens his mood?
(a) Mrs. Scallop is moving to California.
(b) His mother is walking outside.
(c) Mr. Scully's promise to continue to feed the one-eyed cat.
(d) He is expected to play basketball this year.
2. What do Ned and Billy do after Ned helps Janet?
(a) Get into a fistfight.
(c) Throw snowballs at passing cars.
(d) Steal some eggs.
3. What is at the place Hilary intends to visit?
(a) Native flowers Hilary wants to study.
(b) A monastery.
(c) Some pyramid ruins.
(d) A leper colony.
4. Where does Hilary suggest taking a ferry?
(a) To an island which is inhabited by many varieties of fox.
(b) An island that has many exotic birds.
(c) He actually says the ferry no longer runs.
(d) An island where wild ponies live.
5. What does Ned figure his father will begin doing?
(a) Picking up Mr. Scully's groceries.
(b) Taking over Sunday services for another preacher who just died.
(c) Teaching Ned how to drive the tractor.
(d) Driving his mother to the doctor in the city.
6. What does Mr. Scully promise to continue doing?
(a) Keep Ned doing chores and paying him.
(b) Feed the cat.
(c) Taking his medicine.
(d) Write his daughter.
7. Where does Ned go on the way to school?
(a) The church.
(b) The cemetary.
(c) Mr. Scully's home.
(d) Billy's house.
8. Why does Mrs. Scallop cry?
(a) Her mother died a year ago that day.
(b) She is not feeling well.
(c) Ned snaps at her.
(d) Her daughter is ill.
9. What does Ned wish about his upcoming Christmas vacation?
(a) That his parents were going.
(b) That he could stay home.
(c) That they could go to Florida.
(d) That his older brother could also go with them.
10. What does Ned do on the veranda at the place he visits?
(b) Plays with his toy soldiers.
11. What does Evelyn get as a result of her father earning more money?
(b) A new hat.
(d) Drawing materials.
12. What does Ned and his mother see?
(a) The one-eyed cat.
(b) A white dog.
(c) A shooting star.
(d) Mr. Scully's ghost.
13. Where does Ned tell Papa he wants to go?
(a) To his grandparents' house in the summer.
(b) To visit Mr. Scully again.
(c) To visit Washington, D. C.
(d) With his uncle to Greece.
14. How does Mrs. Scallop feel about her new job?
15. What does Mr. Scully tell Ned about the one-eyed cat?
(a) That it has recovered.
(b) That it is dead.
(c) That it has disappeared.
(d) That it had kittens.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Ned go out for a walk?
2. Where does Ned do after-school chores?
3. What is different about the letter Ned receives from his uncle?
4. What does Ned notice about Evelyn's attitude?
5. What has gone from Mr. Scully's house?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)