|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James Wallis tell his son to refrain from when at the Brewster's home?
(a) Addressing the servants.
(b) Picking up any of their expensive nic nacs.
(c) Asking for seconds.
(d) Not eating everything on his plate.
2. Who does Ned like to visit regularly?
(a) His mother.
(b) The neighbor at the end of the block.
(c) His cousins who live about a mile away.
(d) The sexton at the church.
3. Who is Mrs. Scallop?
(a) The next-door neighbor to the Wallis family.
(b) Ned's current teacher.
(c) The present housekeeper for the Wallis family.
(d) The first housekeeper for the Wallis family.
4. Why does the family sleep downstairs one night?
(a) There is a severe storm.
(b) There is a leak in the roof.
(c) They do not sleep downstairs.
(d) The furnace is broken.
5. What does Doris send Mr. Scully about once a month?
(a) A long letter.
(b) A box of cookies.
(c) A postcard.
(d) Pictures of her and the family.
6. What does Ned decide about Charleston?
(a) He does not want to go.
(b) He will do whatever his father tells him to do.
(c) He wants to go but only for the day.
(d) He wants to go but not until the summer.
7. What does Ned have trouble doing that his father told him to do?
(a) Getting one of the cows ready for slaughter.
(b) Keep his mind off the gun.
(c) Working a puzzle his dad gave him.
(d) Spending time with Mrs. Scallop.
8. Who is Hilary?
(a) Ned's across-the-street neighbor.
(b) Ned's uncle.
(c) Ned's grandfather.
(d) Ned's cousin.
9. Why does Ned feel safe?
(a) Because Mrs. Scallop is there.
(b) Because he believes strongly in God.
(c) Because his father is a soldier.
(d) Because his father is a minister.
10. When does James say Ned can have his present?
(a) When Ned turns 16.
(b) When Ned takes a course on fencing.
(c) When Ned is 14.
(d) When Ned proves he is responsible by caring for the cows.
11. What does Evie Kimball's father do?
(a) Brick layer.
12. In what month does Ned's birthday fall?
13. Where does Doris live?
(b) Out West.
(d) In a neighboring town.
14. Where does Ned realize his father is taking his present?
(a) To the attic.
(b) To the church.
(c) To the basement.
(d) To the neighbor's home.
15. Why is James Willis upset with Hilary?
(a) James is not upset with Hilary.
(b) James wishes Hilary would not waste money.
(c) James thinks Hilary makes James look bad.
(d) James thinks Ned's birthday gift is not appropriate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Scallop give Ned for his birthday?
2. What is on Ned's mind constantly?
3. About what does Ned lie to his mama?
4. Why does Ned fluster Evelyn?
5. Where do Ned and his father eat supper on the Sunday before Ned's birthday?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)