|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ned decide about Charleston?
(a) He wants to go but not until the summer.
(b) He wants to go but only for the day.
(c) He does not want to go.
(d) He will do whatever his father tells him to do.
2. Who does Ned like to visit regularly?
(a) His mother.
(b) The neighbor at the end of the block.
(c) The sexton at the church.
(d) His cousins who live about a mile away.
3. What does Mr. Scully say comes into his yard regularly?
(a) A raccoon.
(b) A bear.
(c) Two deer.
(d) The one-eyed cat.
4. How does Mrs. Scallop often refer to herself?
(a) In the second person.
(b) As God's servant.
(c) With a different name.
(d) In the third person.
5. In what decades is the novel set?
6. What does Mrs. Scallop tell Ned about his birth?
(a) She knows nothing about Ned's birth.
(b) It brought on Mama's rheumatism.
(c) It was a very stormy night when Ned arrived.
(d) It was very easy for his mama.
7. What does Ned imagine as he is outside at night?
(a) A shadowy figure.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A bear.
(d) A mountain lion.
8. When does James say Ned can have his present?
(a) When Ned turns 16.
(b) When Ned proves he is responsible by caring for the cows.
(c) When Ned takes a course on fencing.
(d) When Ned is 14.
9. Where does Ned and his father visit a parishioner years before?
(a) A veteran's home.
(b) The hospital.
(d) An asylum.
10. When does he want to take Ned?
(a) After fall harvest.
(b) Just before planting time.
(c) Over Christmas vacation.
(d) During Spring break.
11. What does Ned believe about his mother and Hilary?
(a) They have a special understanding.
(b) They have nothing in common.
(c) They can read minds.
(d) They are both pranksters.
12. What does Ned refrain from saying to his mother?
(a) Anything about taking the rifle out late at night.
(b) That he wishes she wouldn't say anything about his voice.
(c) That his uncle doesn't act like he likes Ned.
(d) That the girl is mean to Ned.
13. What does Evelyn Kimball say she saw when Ned and his friends are talking?
(a) A bear.
(b) Her best friend kissing a boy down the street.
(c) The one-eyed cat.
(d) A panther.
14. What does Ned think of his present from Mrs. Scallop?
(a) That the colors are nice.
(b) That it's horrible.
(c) That the shoulders are too big.
(d) That the fingers are too short.
15. About what does Ned lie to his mama?
(a) The need to stay after school for the week.
(b) The need to write a poem about autumn.
(d) The need to have a new notebook for school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Ned feel a little jealous?
2. What does Mrs. Scallop say would happen if Ned does not blow out all his birthday candles?
3. How many siblings does Ned have?
4. Why does Ned feel safe?
5. Who is Cosmo?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)