|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Ned lie to his mama?
(b) The need to write a poem about autumn.
(c) The need to stay after school for the week.
(d) The need to have a new notebook for school.
2. Where does Doris live?
(b) In a neighboring town.
(c) Out West.
3. Where does Ned travel that night?
(a) To his best friend's house.
(b) To the back pasture.
(c) To the woods.
(d) To the lake.
4. What has Ned's father installed on the house for protection?
(a) Bars on the windows.
(b) Nothing; the town is quite safe.
(c) Lightening rods.
(d) Door locks.
5. What does Mrs. Scallop give Ned for his birthday?
(a) A hat she knitted.
(b) A sweater she knitted.
(c) A pair of gloves she knitted.
(d) A handmade rug.
6. Why does Ned think his father will be upset with him?
(a) If his father learns that he intentionally broke his sister's doll.
(b) If his father learns of his night visit to the woods.
(c) If Ned says he does not want to go with Hilary.
(d) If Ned refuses to take the safety class.
7. How does Mrs. Scallop often refer to herself?
(a) In the third person.
(b) In the second person.
(c) With a different name.
(d) As God's servant.
8. About what does Ned worry when he gets back to his room with his presents?
(a) If his father will get back in time for his birthday dinner.
(b) If his mother got too tired during the birthday celebration.
(c) If his brother will have to leave again for the Army.
(d) If he was seen the night before out with the rifle.
9. In what decades is the novel set?
10. What does Ned lose interest in after using it once?
(a) The rifle.
(b) The model car.
(c) The model airplane.
(d) The sword.
11. What does Ned think of his present from Mrs. Scallop?
(a) That the shoulders are too big.
(b) That the colors are nice.
(c) That it's horrible.
(d) That the fingers are too short.
12. Why is Ned particularly excited about traveling with Hilary?
(a) Ned has never traveled before.
(b) He gets to do something that his sister does not.
(c) He can backpack in the mountains.
(d) He gets to do something that his brother does not.
13. When does he want to take Ned?
(a) Just before planting time.
(b) After fall harvest.
(c) During Spring break.
(d) Over Christmas vacation.
14. What does Mr. Scully say he does regularly now?
(a) Writes his daughter.
(b) Feeds the one-eyed cat.
(c) Sees his dead son's ghost.
(d) Bakes biscuits.
15. What does Ned believe about his mother and Hilary?
(a) They have a special understanding.
(b) They are both pranksters.
(c) They can read minds.
(d) They have nothing in common.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doris send Mr. Scully about once a month?
2. Who is Mrs. Scallop?
3. What does Mrs. Scallop tell Ned about his birth?
4. Who are Evelyn Kimball, Janet Hoffman, and Billy Gaskell?
5. Where does Ned go after the household is in bed?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)