|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ned wish about visiting his mother?
(a) That it wasn't so glum.
(b) He could do so whenever he wants.
(c) That she didn't ask him about school.
(d) That she didn't ask him so many questions.
2. What does Mama give Ned for his birthday?
(a) A book.
(b) A fishing pole.
(c) A watch.
(d) A bike.
3. Where does Ned and his father visit a parishioner years before?
(a) A veteran's home.
(b) The hospital.
(d) An asylum.
4. What does Ned take Mr. Scully every day?
(c) Mail and newspaper.
(d) A bottle of milk.
5. Why does Ned feel safe?
(a) Because his father is a soldier.
(b) Because Mrs. Scallop is there.
(c) Because his father is a minister.
(d) Because he believes strongly in God.
6. What does Ned decide about Charleston?
(a) He wants to go but only for the day.
(b) He will do whatever his father tells him to do.
(c) He wants to go but not until the summer.
(d) He does not want to go.
7. How many housekeepers has the Wallis family had, including the present one?
8. What does Mrs. Kimball do?
(a) A domestic helper.
(b) A school teacher.
(c) A stay-at-home housewife.
(d) A practical nurse.
9. What does Mrs. Scallop give Ned for his birthday?
(a) A hat she knitted.
(b) A sweater she knitted.
(c) A pair of gloves she knitted.
(d) A handmade rug.
10. What does Mr. Scully never use?
11. What does Ned notice about the things Doris sent for the last three months?
(a) The pictures in the letters do not include Doris herself.
(b) They are stale.
(c) They all have the same picture on them.
(d) They are addressed in a very shaky handwriting.
12. What does Hilary give Ned for his birthday?
(a) A model airplane.
(b) A Daisy air rifle.
(c) A model car.
(d) A practice sword.
13. What does Mr. Scully say comes into his yard regularly?
(a) A raccoon.
(b) Two deer.
(c) The one-eyed cat.
(d) A bear.
14. Who is Mrs. Scallop?
(a) The first housekeeper for the Wallis family.
(b) The present housekeeper for the Wallis family.
(c) Ned's current teacher.
(d) The next-door neighbor to the Wallis family.
15. Of what does Ned feel a little jealous?
(a) His mother's close relationship with Hilary.
(b) His father's close relationship with Hilary.
(c) His mother's close relationship with his older sister.
(d) His mother's close relationship with the neighbor's little girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Scallop often refer to herself?
2. Who is Cosmo?
3. When does James say Ned can have his present?
4. Who are Evelyn Kimball, Janet Hoffman, and Billy Gaskell?
5. Why does Ned not like dining with members of the congregation?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)