|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ned imagine as he is outside at night?
(a) A shadowy figure.
(b) A bear.
(c) A mountain lion.
(d) A tiger.
2. What does Mama mention that embarrasses Ned?
(a) His uncle's high regard for Ned.
(b) A girl in his school.
(c) The air rifle.
(d) His changing voice.
3. Who does Ned knows that lives in New York City?
(a) His great-grandmother.
(b) His maternal grandmother.
(c) His great-aunt.
(d) His uncle.
4. Where does Ned and his father visit a parishioner years before?
(b) An asylum.
(c) A veteran's home.
(d) The hospital.
5. What does Ned refrain from saying to his mother?
(a) That he wishes she wouldn't say anything about his voice.
(b) Anything about taking the rifle out late at night.
(c) That his uncle doesn't act like he likes Ned.
(d) That the girl is mean to Ned.
6. In what country does Hilary buy a butterfly enclosed in glass?
7. When does he want to take Ned?
(a) During Spring break.
(b) After fall harvest.
(c) Over Christmas vacation.
(d) Just before planting time.
8. How does Mrs. Scallop often refer to herself?
(a) As God's servant.
(b) In the third person.
(c) In the second person.
(d) With a different name.
9. What does Mr. Scully say comes into his yard regularly?
(a) The one-eyed cat.
(b) A bear.
(c) Two deer.
(d) A raccoon.
10. About what does Ned worry when he gets back to his room with his presents?
(a) If his brother will have to leave again for the Army.
(b) If he was seen the night before out with the rifle.
(c) If his father will get back in time for his birthday dinner.
(d) If his mother got too tired during the birthday celebration.
11. Where does Ned travel that night?
(a) To the lake.
(b) To the woods.
(c) To the back pasture.
(d) To his best friend's house.
12. How old is Mr. Scully?
(a) About 70.
(b) About 80.
(c) About 55.
(d) About 95.
13. Where does Doris live?
(c) Out West.
(d) In a neighboring town.
14. Why does Ned not like dining with members of the congregation?
(a) It makes him feel homeless.
(b) He has to wear a tie.
(c) He has to sit with the children in the family.
(d) He has to eat anything he is served.
15. Of what does Ned feel a little jealous?
(a) His father's close relationship with Hilary.
(b) His mother's close relationship with Hilary.
(c) His mother's close relationship with his older sister.
(d) His mother's close relationship with the neighbor's little girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ned go after the household is in bed?
2. What does Mr. Scully use for lighting?
3. Why is James Willis upset with Hilary?
4. What emotion seems to be just below the surface of Mrs. Scallop?
5. About what does Ned lie to his mama?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)