|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long has Ned's mother been ill?
(a) Most of her life.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 6 years.
(d) 3 years.
2. What does Ned have trouble doing that his father told him to do?
(a) Keep his mind off the gun.
(b) Working a puzzle his dad gave him.
(c) Spending time with Mrs. Scallop.
(d) Getting one of the cows ready for slaughter.
3. Who has cake and lemonade in Ned's mother's room?
(a) Just Ned and Mrs. Scallop as his father has been called out to a death.
(b) Ned and his older brother who comes home for the ocassion.
(c) Papa, Ned and Mrs. Scallop.
(d) Just Ned as his father has been called out to a death.
4. What does Mr. Scully use for lighting?
(a) A bare electric bulb.
(b) A kerosene lamp.
(c) A flashlight.
(d) A fancy chandelier.
5. Why does Ned feel safe?
(a) Because he believes strongly in God.
(b) Because Mrs. Scallop is there.
(c) Because his father is a minister.
(d) Because his father is a soldier.
6. What does Mrs. Scallop sometimes lapse into?
(a) Periods of bossiness.
(b) Periods of joking with Ned.
(c) Periods of sullen silence.
(d) Periods of giddy laughter.
7. What does Ned imagine as he is outside at night?
(a) A tiger.
(b) A bear.
(c) A shadowy figure.
(d) A mountain lion.
8. What does Ned do as his father pays the visit?
(a) Plays outside.
(b) In the nurses's station.
(c) Sits in the car.
(d) Sits quietly in a chair.
9. What does the narrator say about the Brewster's lifestyle?
(a) Very high class and ostentatious but they can afford it.
(b) They are very poor.
(c) It is extravagant for the money the family has.
(d) Typical middle class.
10. What did Ned feel on the day of the visit with his father years ago that he felt when he went out in the night?
(a) That life was far beyond his comprehension.
(b) That he was older than his father realized.
(c) That he was being watched.
(d) That he was never going to understand his father.
11. What is on Ned's mind constantly?
(a) His firing the air rifle.
(b) A bully at school who keeps harassing Ned.
(c) His father's desire for him to become a minister.
(d) His mother's illness.
12. What kind of potatoes does Mrs. Brewster serve?
(a) The best in the town.
(b) Lumpy mashed.
(d) French fried.
13. Where does Ned get the bronze goat he has in his room?
(a) Hilary got it in Greece.
(b) His father had it as a child.
(c) His mother had it as a child.
(d) He found it at a secondhand shop.
14. To whom had the present once belonged?
(a) Mama's brother.
(b) Ned's grandfather.
(c) No one.
(d) Mama's cousin.
15. What does Ned's father not understand about Mr. Kimball?
(a) Why is treats his wife so poorly.
(b) How he affords to feed such a large family.
(c) Why he travels out of town so much.
(d) Why he does not discipline his children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Scallop give Ned for his birthday?
2. What does Ned think about Mr. Scully?
3. What does Ned lose interest in after using it once?
4. When does James say Ned can have his present?
5. In what area of the country does Ned and his family live?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)