|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About whom is Ned often confused?
(a) Mrs. Scallop.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His best friend.
2. What does Ned notice about the things Doris sent for the last three months?
(a) They are stale.
(b) They all have the same picture on them.
(c) They are addressed in a very shaky handwriting.
(d) The pictures in the letters do not include Doris herself.
3. Why does the family sleep downstairs one night?
(a) The furnace is broken.
(b) They do not sleep downstairs.
(c) There is a severe storm.
(d) There is a leak in the roof.
4. How does Mrs. Scallop often refer to herself?
(a) In the second person.
(b) In the third person.
(c) As God's servant.
(d) With a different name.
5. Who is Mrs. Scallop?
(a) The next-door neighbor to the Wallis family.
(b) The first housekeeper for the Wallis family.
(c) Ned's current teacher.
(d) The present housekeeper for the Wallis family.
6. In what month does Ned's birthday fall?
7. Why is James Willis upset with Hilary?
(a) James thinks Ned's birthday gift is not appropriate.
(b) James wishes Hilary would not waste money.
(c) James is not upset with Hilary.
(d) James thinks Hilary makes James look bad.
8. What does Ned believe about his mother and Hilary?
(a) They have nothing in common.
(b) They have a special understanding.
(c) They can read minds.
(d) They are both pranksters.
9. What does Ned think of his present from Mrs. Scallop?
(a) That it's horrible.
(b) That the fingers are too short.
(c) That the colors are nice.
(d) That the shoulders are too big.
10. What do Ned and Mr. Scully watch in the yard through the window?
(a) A feral cat.
(b) A pair of jays fighting.
(c) A neighbor's new puppy.
(d) A robin pulling a worm out of the ground.
11. What does Hilary give Ned for his birthday?
(a) A model airplane.
(b) A model car.
(c) A Daisy air rifle.
(d) A practice sword.
12. What does Ned refrain from saying to his mother?
(a) That his uncle doesn't act like he likes Ned.
(b) That he wishes she wouldn't say anything about his voice.
(c) That the girl is mean to Ned.
(d) Anything about taking the rifle out late at night.
13. Why does Ned not like dining with members of the congregation?
(a) He has to eat anything he is served.
(b) He has to sit with the children in the family.
(c) He has to wear a tie.
(d) It makes him feel homeless.
14. What does Mrs. Scallop say would happen if Ned does not blow out all his birthday candles?
(a) He wouldn't get his wish.
(b) His father would not return.
(c) His birthday next year will be late.
(d) A strange fate would befall him.
15. What does Ned imagine as he is walking back to the house at night?
(a) Someone watching him from the woods.
(b) Someone watching him from the attic.
(c) That he has saved the family from marauders.
(d) That he has bested a brigand in a sword duel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Scully give Ned for Ned's birthday?
2. What did Ned feel on the day of the visit with his father years ago that he felt when he went out in the night?
3. Who does Ned knows that lives in New York City?
4. Why does Ned feel safe?
5. For whom are the turkey scraps that Ned saves?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)