|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ned decide about Charleston?
(a) He wants to go but not until the summer.
(b) He wants to go but only for the day.
(c) He does not want to go.
(d) He will do whatever his father tells him to do.
2. How old is Mr. Scully?
(a) About 55.
(b) About 70.
(c) About 95.
(d) About 80.
3. What does James Wallis tell his son to refrain from when at the Brewster's home?
(a) Asking for seconds.
(b) Not eating everything on his plate.
(c) Picking up any of their expensive nic nacs.
(d) Addressing the servants.
4. Why does Ned not mind listening to Mr. Scully ramble?
(a) He does not know he is rambling.
(b) He gives Ned money.
(c) He knows a lot about exotic countries.
(d) Mr. Scully is likeable.
5. What does Ned think of his present from Mrs. Scallop?
(a) That the shoulders are too big.
(b) That it's horrible.
(c) That the fingers are too short.
(d) That the colors are nice.
6. What did Ned feel on the day of the visit with his father years ago that he felt when he went out in the night?
(a) That he was being watched.
(b) That he was older than his father realized.
(c) That life was far beyond his comprehension.
(d) That he was never going to understand his father.
7. Why does Ned not like dining with members of the congregation?
(a) He has to eat anything he is served.
(b) He has to wear a tie.
(c) He has to sit with the children in the family.
(d) It makes him feel homeless.
8. Where does Doris live?
(b) Out West.
(d) In a neighboring town.
9. What does Mr. Scully say comes into his yard regularly?
(a) The one-eyed cat.
(b) A raccoon.
(c) A bear.
(d) Two deer.
10. About whom is Ned often confused?
(a) Mrs. Scallop.
(b) His mother.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His father.
11. In what decades is the novel set?
12. What emotion seems to be just below the surface of Mrs. Scallop?
13. What does the narrator say about the Brewster's lifestyle?
(a) Typical middle class.
(b) It is extravagant for the money the family has.
(c) Very high class and ostentatious but they can afford it.
(d) They are very poor.
14. Of what is Ned afraid if his dad learns of the rifle incident?
(a) That his dad will beat him.
(b) That his dad will never give him the rifle.
(c) That his father will be disappointed in him.
(d) That his dad will tell his mother.
15. In what country does Hilary buy a butterfly enclosed in glass?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ned leave out on the porch at Mr. Scully's?
2. What does Evelyn Kimball say she saw when Ned and his friends are talking?
3. What does Ned clear out of Mr. Scully's attic?
4. Where does Hilary want to take Ned?
5. What does Ned believe about his mother and Hilary?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)