|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ned think of his present from Mrs. Scallop?
(a) That the colors are nice.
(b) That the fingers are too short.
(c) That it's horrible.
(d) That the shoulders are too big.
2. Why is Ned particularly excited about traveling with Hilary?
(a) Ned has never traveled before.
(b) He can backpack in the mountains.
(c) He gets to do something that his sister does not.
(d) He gets to do something that his brother does not.
3. What does Mr. Scully give Ned for Ned's birthday?
(a) A comic book.
(b) A whistle.
(c) A carving knife.
(d) A piece of soapstone carved with Chinese characters.
4. Who brings cookies and apples to Ned's class?
(a) No one.
(b) Miss Jefferson.
(c) Mrs. Scallop.
(d) Ned's father.
5. What does Mr. Scully use for lighting?
(a) A fancy chandelier.
(b) A flashlight.
(c) A kerosene lamp.
(d) A bare electric bulb.
6. How does Mrs. Scallop often refer to herself?
(a) In the third person.
(b) In the second person.
(c) As God's servant.
(d) With a different name.
7. Why does Ned feel sad for Mr. Scully?
(a) Because he sometimes calls Ned by his dead son's name.
(b) Because he sometimes can't remember where he is.
(c) Because he can't breathe well.
(d) Because he and his daughter are not close.
8. Why does the family sleep downstairs one night?
(a) There is a leak in the roof.
(b) The furnace is broken.
(c) They do not sleep downstairs.
(d) There is a severe storm.
9. What do Ned and Mr. Scully watch in the yard through the window?
(a) A neighbor's new puppy.
(b) A robin pulling a worm out of the ground.
(c) A feral cat.
(d) A pair of jays fighting.
10. What does Mr. Scully say comes into his yard regularly?
(a) The one-eyed cat.
(b) Two deer.
(c) A bear.
(d) A raccoon.
11. When does James say Ned can have his present?
(a) When Ned is 14.
(b) When Ned takes a course on fencing.
(c) When Ned proves he is responsible by caring for the cows.
(d) When Ned turns 16.
12. What does Evie Kimball's father do?
(c) Brick layer.
13. What does Mrs. Scallop sometimes lapse into?
(a) Periods of sullen silence.
(b) Periods of joking with Ned.
(c) Periods of bossiness.
(d) Periods of giddy laughter.
14. How old is Mr. Scully?
(a) About 70.
(b) About 55.
(c) About 80.
(d) About 95.
15. What does Mrs. Scallop say would happen if Ned does not blow out all his birthday candles?
(a) He wouldn't get his wish.
(b) His father would not return.
(c) A strange fate would befall him.
(d) His birthday next year will be late.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ned have trouble doing that his father told him to do?
2. What does Ned believe about his mother and Hilary?
3. What does Mr. Scully say he does regularly now?
4. What does Mama give Ned for his birthday?
5. What does Ned think about Mr. Scully?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)