|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Scallop say would happen if Ned does not blow out all his birthday candles?
(a) His father would not return.
(b) He wouldn't get his wish.
(c) A strange fate would befall him.
(d) His birthday next year will be late.
2. How many housekeepers has the Wallis family had, including the present one?
3. Who are Evelyn Kimball, Janet Hoffman, and Billy Gaskell?
(a) Ned's three favorite cousins.
(b) Ned's closest friends.
(c) The most popular kids at school.
(d) Three kids at Ned's church.
4. When does James say Ned can have his present?
(a) When Ned is 14.
(b) When Ned takes a course on fencing.
(c) When Ned turns 16.
(d) When Ned proves he is responsible by caring for the cows.
5. What does Evelyn Kimball say she saw when Ned and his friends are talking?
(a) A panther.
(b) Her best friend kissing a boy down the street.
(c) A bear.
(d) The one-eyed cat.
6. What kind of potatoes does Mrs. Brewster serve?
(b) The best in the town.
(c) Lumpy mashed.
(d) French fried.
7. What does Ned do as his father pays the visit?
(a) Plays outside.
(b) In the nurses's station.
(c) Sits quietly in a chair.
(d) Sits in the car.
8. Where does Ned and his father visit a parishioner years before?
(a) A veteran's home.
(b) An asylum.
(d) The hospital.
9. Why does Ned feel safe?
(a) Because Mrs. Scallop is there.
(b) Because his father is a soldier.
(c) Because his father is a minister.
(d) Because he believes strongly in God.
10. What does Ned notice about the things Doris sent for the last three months?
(a) They are addressed in a very shaky handwriting.
(b) The pictures in the letters do not include Doris herself.
(c) They are stale.
(d) They all have the same picture on them.
11. What does Mama give Ned for his birthday?
(a) A book.
(b) A bike.
(c) A fishing pole.
(d) A watch.
12. Who is Hilary?
(a) Ned's across-the-street neighbor.
(b) Ned's grandfather.
(c) Ned's uncle.
(d) Ned's cousin.
13. Where does Ned get the bronze goat he has in his room?
(a) He found it at a secondhand shop.
(b) His father had it as a child.
(c) His mother had it as a child.
(d) Hilary got it in Greece.
14. What does Mr. Scully never use?
15. What is on Ned's mind constantly?
(a) His father's desire for him to become a minister.
(b) A bully at school who keeps harassing Ned.
(c) His mother's illness.
(d) His firing the air rifle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ned lose interest in after using it once?
2. Where does Ned go after the household is in bed?
3. Who brings cookies and apples to Ned's class?
4. What does Mrs. Kimball do?
5. Why is James Willis upset with Hilary?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)