|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ned not mind listening to Mr. Scully ramble?
(a) He does not know he is rambling.
(b) He knows a lot about exotic countries.
(c) He gives Ned money.
(d) Mr. Scully is likeable.
2. About whom is Ned often confused?
(a) His mother.
(b) His best friend.
(c) Mrs. Scallop.
(d) His father.
3. What does Mrs. Kimball do?
(a) A domestic helper.
(b) A school teacher.
(c) A practical nurse.
(d) A stay-at-home housewife.
4. Where does Ned and his father visit a parishioner years before?
(a) An asylum.
(c) The hospital.
(d) A veteran's home.
5. How old is Ned when his mother becomes ill?
6. What does Mrs. Scallop sometimes lapse into?
(a) Periods of bossiness.
(b) Periods of giddy laughter.
(c) Periods of joking with Ned.
(d) Periods of sullen silence.
7. Of what is Ned afraid if his dad learns of the rifle incident?
(a) That his dad will beat him.
(b) That his dad will never give him the rifle.
(c) That his dad will tell his mother.
(d) That his father will be disappointed in him.
8. What does Ned imagine as he is walking back to the house at night?
(a) That he has bested a brigand in a sword duel.
(b) That he has saved the family from marauders.
(c) Someone watching him from the woods.
(d) Someone watching him from the attic.
9. What does Mr. Scully never use?
10. Why does Ned feel sad for Mr. Scully?
(a) Because he and his daughter are not close.
(b) Because he sometimes can't remember where he is.
(c) Because he can't breathe well.
(d) Because he sometimes calls Ned by his dead son's name.
11. What does James Wallis tell his son to refrain from when at the Brewster's home?
(a) Addressing the servants.
(b) Picking up any of their expensive nic nacs.
(c) Not eating everything on his plate.
(d) Asking for seconds.
12. What are many of the homes like near where Ned lives?
(a) Crowded with several families per home.
(c) Run down.
(d) Well kept.
13. What does Mr. Scully make homemade?
(b) Applesauce and bread.
14. What does Ned do as his father pays the visit?
(a) Sits quietly in a chair.
(b) In the nurses's station.
(c) Plays outside.
(d) Sits in the car.
15. What does the narrator say about Mr. Scully's bed?
(a) He only uses one sheet.
(b) He sleeps on the floor.
(c) His bed is four feet high.
(d) He never uses sheets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Evelyn Kimball, Janet Hoffman, and Billy Gaskell?
2. Who does Ned knows that lives in New York City?
3. Where do Ned and his father eat supper on the Sunday before Ned's birthday?
4. Where does Ned get the bronze goat he has in his room?
5. Who is Hilary?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)