|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion seems to be just below the surface of Mrs. Scallop?
2. What are many of the homes like near where Ned lives?
(a) Crowded with several families per home.
(b) Well kept.
(d) Run down.
3. What does Mama give Ned for his birthday?
(a) A fishing pole.
(b) A watch.
(c) A bike.
(d) A book.
4. Why does Ned feel guilty when he is watching out the window with Mr. Scully?
(a) The cat only has one eye.
(b) The one jay's foot is mangled.
(c) He knows his mother would love to be able to be outdoors with him.
(d) The robin's one wing looks clipped.
5. About what does Ned worry when he gets back to his room with his presents?
(a) If he was seen the night before out with the rifle.
(b) If his mother got too tired during the birthday celebration.
(c) If his father will get back in time for his birthday dinner.
(d) If his brother will have to leave again for the Army.
6. Who is Mrs. Scallop?
(a) Ned's current teacher.
(b) The next-door neighbor to the Wallis family.
(c) The present housekeeper for the Wallis family.
(d) The first housekeeper for the Wallis family.
7. What magazine does Ned love?
(b) National Georgraphic.
(c) Mad Magazine.
(d) Scientific American.
8. What does Mr. Scully make homemade?
(c) Applesauce and bread.
9. Who are Evelyn Kimball, Janet Hoffman, and Billy Gaskell?
(a) The most popular kids at school.
(b) Three kids at Ned's church.
(c) Ned's three favorite cousins.
(d) Ned's closest friends.
10. What does Ned do as his father pays the visit?
(a) Plays outside.
(b) In the nurses's station.
(c) Sits quietly in a chair.
(d) Sits in the car.
11. How old is Ned when his mother becomes ill?
12. About what does Ned lie to his mama?
(a) The need to have a new notebook for school.
(b) The need to stay after school for the week.
(d) The need to write a poem about autumn.
13. What kind of potatoes does Mrs. Brewster serve?
(a) Lumpy mashed.
(b) The best in the town.
(d) French fried.
14. How does Mrs. Scallop often refer to herself?
(a) With a different name.
(b) As God's servant.
(c) In the third person.
(d) In the second person.
15. What does Mr. Scully say he does regularly now?
(a) Feeds the one-eyed cat.
(b) Sees his dead son's ghost.
(c) Writes his daughter.
(d) Bakes biscuits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one chore Ned does for Mr. Scully?
2. What does James Wallis tell his son to refrain from when at the Brewster's home?
3. What does Ned imagine as he is walking back to the house at night?
4. In what month does Ned's birthday fall?
5. What does Ned leave out on the porch at Mr. Scully's?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)