|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Scully use for lighting?
(a) A flashlight.
(b) A kerosene lamp.
(c) A bare electric bulb.
(d) A fancy chandelier.
2. What does Ned imagine as he is outside at night?
(a) A bear.
(b) A mountain lion.
(c) A tiger.
(d) A shadowy figure.
3. What did Ned feel on the day of the visit with his father years ago that he felt when he went out in the night?
(a) That life was far beyond his comprehension.
(b) That he was older than his father realized.
(c) That he was being watched.
(d) That he was never going to understand his father.
4. What does Ned lose interest in after using it once?
(a) The model airplane.
(b) The sword.
(c) The model car.
(d) The rifle.
5. What does Ned think about Mr. Scully?
(a) He's mean.
(b) He's old fashioned.
(c) He's scary.
(d) He's not right in the head.
6. In what month does Ned's birthday fall?
7. In what area of the country does Ned and his family live?
(a) The Pochonos.
(b) The coastal region of Georgia.
(c) The Hudson River Valley.
(d) The Appalachians of Kentucky.
8. Where does Ned and his father visit a parishioner years before?
(b) A veteran's home.
(c) The hospital.
(d) An asylum.
9. For whom are the turkey scraps that Ned saves?
(a) The one-eye cat.
(b) Evelyn Kimball's dog.
(c) Mr. Scully's old dog.
(d) The neighbor's new puppy.
10. What emotion seems to be just below the surface of Mrs. Scallop?
11. What does the narrator say about Mr. Scully's bed?
(a) His bed is four feet high.
(b) He never uses sheets.
(c) He sleeps on the floor.
(d) He only uses one sheet.
12. Who brings cookies and apples to Ned's class?
(a) Miss Jefferson.
(b) Ned's father.
(c) Mrs. Scallop.
(d) No one.
13. When does he want to take Ned?
(a) After fall harvest.
(b) Just before planting time.
(c) During Spring break.
(d) Over Christmas vacation.
14. Where does Ned go after the household is in bed?
(a) Outside to try to catch a raccoon.
(b) Outside to catch frogs.
(c) To the basement.
(d) To retrieve his present.
15. What causes Ned both great anxiety and excitement?
(a) The idea of going somewhere with just Hilary for Christmas.
(b) Having snuck the rifle out of his house in opposition to his father's orders.
(c) The idea that his mother is getting better.
(d) The idea that he has to take fencing lessons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ned think his father will be upset with him?
2. When does James say Ned can have his present?
3. How old is Mr. Scully?
4. For how long has Ned's mother been ill?
5. What does Mr. Scully say he does regularly now?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)