|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Scully use for lighting?
(a) A bare electric bulb.
(b) A kerosene lamp.
(c) A fancy chandelier.
(d) A flashlight.
2. What does Ned lose interest in after using it once?
(a) The model airplane.
(b) The sword.
(c) The rifle.
(d) The model car.
3. Who has cake and lemonade in Ned's mother's room?
(a) Ned and his older brother who comes home for the ocassion.
(b) Just Ned and Mrs. Scallop as his father has been called out to a death.
(c) Papa, Ned and Mrs. Scallop.
(d) Just Ned as his father has been called out to a death.
4. What does Ned notice about the things Doris sent for the last three months?
(a) They are addressed in a very shaky handwriting.
(b) They are stale.
(c) The pictures in the letters do not include Doris herself.
(d) They all have the same picture on them.
5. Who is Hilary?
(a) Ned's across-the-street neighbor.
(b) Ned's cousin.
(c) Ned's grandfather.
(d) Ned's uncle.
6. In what month does Ned's birthday fall?
7. Why does Ned not mind listening to Mr. Scully ramble?
(a) He gives Ned money.
(b) He knows a lot about exotic countries.
(c) Mr. Scully is likeable.
(d) He does not know he is rambling.
8. Why is Ned particularly excited about traveling with Hilary?
(a) He gets to do something that his sister does not.
(b) He can backpack in the mountains.
(c) Ned has never traveled before.
(d) He gets to do something that his brother does not.
9. What does Mama give Ned for his birthday?
(a) A fishing pole.
(b) A watch.
(c) A book.
(d) A bike.
10. What does Doris send Mr. Scully about once a month?
(a) Pictures of her and the family.
(b) A long letter.
(c) A box of cookies.
(d) A postcard.
11. What do many people lose during the Great Depression?
(a) Their ability to travel extensively.
(b) Their motivation.
(c) Their homes.
12. Who is Cosmo?
(a) The horse Ned's mother used to own.
(b) The family bull.
(c) The barnyard rooster.
(d) The family goat.
13. Why is James Willis upset with Hilary?
(a) James is not upset with Hilary.
(b) James thinks Hilary makes James look bad.
(c) James wishes Hilary would not waste money.
(d) James thinks Ned's birthday gift is not appropriate.
14. What does Mr. Scully never use?
15. What does Ned imagine as he is walking back to the house at night?
(a) Someone watching him from the attic.
(b) Someone watching him from the woods.
(c) That he has saved the family from marauders.
(d) That he has bested a brigand in a sword duel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ned believe about his mother and Hilary?
2. Where does Ned go after the household is in bed?
3. Who brings cookies and apples to Ned's class?
4. What does James Wallis tell his son to refrain from when at the Brewster's home?
5. What emotion seems to be just below the surface of Mrs. Scallop?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)