|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Mr. Scully?
(a) About 70.
(b) About 55.
(c) About 80.
(d) About 95.
2. How does Mrs. Scallop often refer to herself?
(a) As God's servant.
(b) In the second person.
(c) In the third person.
(d) With a different name.
3. What does Ned take Mr. Scully every day?
(c) Mail and newspaper.
(d) A bottle of milk.
4. Who has cake and lemonade in Ned's mother's room?
(a) Just Ned as his father has been called out to a death.
(b) Just Ned and Mrs. Scallop as his father has been called out to a death.
(c) Papa, Ned and Mrs. Scallop.
(d) Ned and his older brother who comes home for the ocassion.
5. Why does Ned not like dining with members of the congregation?
(a) He has to wear a tie.
(b) It makes him feel homeless.
(c) He has to sit with the children in the family.
(d) He has to eat anything he is served.
6. Who are Evelyn Kimball, Janet Hoffman, and Billy Gaskell?
(a) Ned's three favorite cousins.
(b) Three kids at Ned's church.
(c) Ned's closest friends.
(d) The most popular kids at school.
7. Who is Hilary?
(a) Ned's across-the-street neighbor.
(b) Ned's grandfather.
(c) Ned's uncle.
(d) Ned's cousin.
8. Why does Ned feel guilty when he is watching out the window with Mr. Scully?
(a) He knows his mother would love to be able to be outdoors with him.
(b) The robin's one wing looks clipped.
(c) The one jay's foot is mangled.
(d) The cat only has one eye.
9. About what does Ned worry when he gets back to his room with his presents?
(a) If his mother got too tired during the birthday celebration.
(b) If his father will get back in time for his birthday dinner.
(c) If he was seen the night before out with the rifle.
(d) If his brother will have to leave again for the Army.
10. Why does Ned feel safe?
(a) Because Mrs. Scallop is there.
(b) Because his father is a soldier.
(c) Because he believes strongly in God.
(d) Because his father is a minister.
11. For how long has Ned's mother been ill?
(a) Most of her life.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 6 years.
(d) 3 years.
12. What causes Ned both great anxiety and excitement?
(a) The idea that he has to take fencing lessons.
(b) The idea of going somewhere with just Hilary for Christmas.
(c) Having snuck the rifle out of his house in opposition to his father's orders.
(d) The idea that his mother is getting better.
13. What does Ned decide about Charleston?
(a) He wants to go but only for the day.
(b) He does not want to go.
(c) He wants to go but not until the summer.
(d) He will do whatever his father tells him to do.
14. What does Ned wish about visiting his mother?
(a) That it wasn't so glum.
(b) He could do so whenever he wants.
(c) That she didn't ask him so many questions.
(d) That she didn't ask him about school.
15. Who is Mrs. Scallop?
(a) The first housekeeper for the Wallis family.
(b) The present housekeeper for the Wallis family.
(c) The next-door neighbor to the Wallis family.
(d) Ned's current teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ned think his father will be upset with him?
2. Of what does Ned feel a little jealous?
3. In what decades is the novel set?
4. What does Mr. Scully say he does regularly now?
5. What does Mr. Scully use for lighting?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)