|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say about the Brewster's lifestyle?
(a) They are very poor.
(b) Very high class and ostentatious but they can afford it.
(c) Typical middle class.
(d) It is extravagant for the money the family has.
2. Why does the family sleep downstairs one night?
(a) The furnace is broken.
(b) There is a severe storm.
(c) There is a leak in the roof.
(d) They do not sleep downstairs.
3. Where does Ned get the bronze goat he has in his room?
(a) His mother had it as a child.
(b) Hilary got it in Greece.
(c) He found it at a secondhand shop.
(d) His father had it as a child.
4. What do Ned and Mr. Scully watch in the yard through the window?
(a) A neighbor's new puppy.
(b) A robin pulling a worm out of the ground.
(c) A pair of jays fighting.
(d) A feral cat.
5. What does Mr. Scully never use?
6. What has Ned's father installed on the house for protection?
(a) Nothing; the town is quite safe.
(b) Bars on the windows.
(c) Lightening rods.
(d) Door locks.
7. How many housekeepers has the Wallis family had, including the present one?
8. What does Mr. Scully give Ned for Ned's birthday?
(a) A carving knife.
(b) A whistle.
(c) A comic book.
(d) A piece of soapstone carved with Chinese characters.
9. What does Ned wish about visiting his mother?
(a) He could do so whenever he wants.
(b) That it wasn't so glum.
(c) That she didn't ask him about school.
(d) That she didn't ask him so many questions.
10. How does Mrs. Scallop often refer to herself?
(a) As God's servant.
(b) With a different name.
(c) In the third person.
(d) In the second person.
11. Why does Ned not mind listening to Mr. Scully ramble?
(a) Mr. Scully is likeable.
(b) He does not know he is rambling.
(c) He gives Ned money.
(d) He knows a lot about exotic countries.
12. For whom are the turkey scraps that Ned saves?
(a) The neighbor's new puppy.
(b) Evelyn Kimball's dog.
(c) The one-eye cat.
(d) Mr. Scully's old dog.
13. To whom had the present once belonged?
(a) Mama's brother.
(b) Ned's grandfather.
(c) No one.
(d) Mama's cousin.
14. Where does Hilary want to take Ned?
(b) Nag's Head.
15. What does Ned notice about the things Doris sent for the last three months?
(a) They are addressed in a very shaky handwriting.
(b) They are stale.
(c) They all have the same picture on them.
(d) The pictures in the letters do not include Doris herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is James Willis upset with Hilary?
2. What does Ned decide about Charleston?
3. What emotion seems to be just below the surface of Mrs. Scallop?
4. What does Mama mention that embarrasses Ned?
5. What does Evelyn Kimball say she saw when Ned and his friends are talking?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)