|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ned particularly excited about traveling with Hilary?
(a) He can backpack in the mountains.
(b) He gets to do something that his brother does not.
(c) Ned has never traveled before.
(d) He gets to do something that his sister does not.
2. Why does Ned not like dining with members of the congregation?
(a) He has to sit with the children in the family.
(b) He has to wear a tie.
(c) He has to eat anything he is served.
(d) It makes him feel homeless.
3. About what does Ned worry when he gets back to his room with his presents?
(a) If his mother got too tired during the birthday celebration.
(b) If his father will get back in time for his birthday dinner.
(c) If his brother will have to leave again for the Army.
(d) If he was seen the night before out with the rifle.
4. What does Ned leave out on the porch at Mr. Scully's?
(a) A rat trap.
(b) Bread and milk.
(c) Bird seed.
5. What does Mrs. Kimball do?
(a) A domestic helper.
(b) A stay-at-home housewife.
(c) A practical nurse.
(d) A school teacher.
6. Who has cake and lemonade in Ned's mother's room?
(a) Papa, Ned and Mrs. Scallop.
(b) Ned and his older brother who comes home for the ocassion.
(c) Just Ned and Mrs. Scallop as his father has been called out to a death.
(d) Just Ned as his father has been called out to a death.
7. Why does Ned think his father will be upset with him?
(a) If Ned says he does not want to go with Hilary.
(b) If Ned refuses to take the safety class.
(c) If his father learns that he intentionally broke his sister's doll.
(d) If his father learns of his night visit to the woods.
8. Who brings cookies and apples to Ned's class?
(a) Miss Jefferson.
(b) Ned's father.
(c) No one.
(d) Mrs. Scallop.
9. Who does Ned like to visit regularly?
(a) His mother.
(b) His cousins who live about a mile away.
(c) The sexton at the church.
(d) The neighbor at the end of the block.
10. What does Mr. Scully give Ned for Ned's birthday?
(a) A comic book.
(b) A whistle.
(c) A carving knife.
(d) A piece of soapstone carved with Chinese characters.
11. How many housekeepers has the Wallis family had, including the present one?
12. What does Ned take Mr. Scully every day?
(b) A bottle of milk.
(c) Mail and newspaper.
13. In what area of the country does Ned and his family live?
(a) The Appalachians of Kentucky.
(b) The coastal region of Georgia.
(c) The Pochonos.
(d) The Hudson River Valley.
14. What does Ned think of his present from Mrs. Scallop?
(a) That the fingers are too short.
(b) That the colors are nice.
(c) That it's horrible.
(d) That the shoulders are too big.
15. What kind of potatoes does Mrs. Brewster serve?
(a) The best in the town.
(b) French fried.
(c) Lumpy mashed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ned imagine as he is outside at night?
2. Where does Ned travel that night?
3. What does Ned refrain from saying to his mother?
4. For how long has Ned's mother been ill?
5. What does Mrs. Scallop say would happen if Ned does not blow out all his birthday candles?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)