|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What magazine does Ned love?
(a) National Georgraphic.
(c) Mad Magazine.
(d) Scientific American.
2. What does Mrs. Scallop sometimes lapse into?
(a) Periods of giddy laughter.
(b) Periods of joking with Ned.
(c) Periods of sullen silence.
(d) Periods of bossiness.
3. Where does Ned get the bronze goat he has in his room?
(a) His mother had it as a child.
(b) He found it at a secondhand shop.
(c) His father had it as a child.
(d) Hilary got it in Greece.
4. What do many people lose during the Great Depression?
(b) Their motivation.
(c) Their homes.
(d) Their ability to travel extensively.
5. What does Ned have trouble doing that his father told him to do?
(a) Getting one of the cows ready for slaughter.
(b) Working a puzzle his dad gave him.
(c) Spending time with Mrs. Scallop.
(d) Keep his mind off the gun.
6. Where does Ned go after the household is in bed?
(a) Outside to catch frogs.
(b) To retrieve his present.
(c) Outside to try to catch a raccoon.
(d) To the basement.
7. From what book does Ned's teacher read in honor of Ned's birthday?
(a) The Call of the Wild.
(b) The Last of the Mohicans.
(c) Life on the Mississippi.
(d) The House of Seven Gables.
8. About what does Ned lie to his mama?
(a) The need to stay after school for the week.
(c) The need to write a poem about autumn.
(d) The need to have a new notebook for school.
9. What does the narrator say about the Brewster's lifestyle?
(a) Typical middle class.
(b) Very high class and ostentatious but they can afford it.
(c) It is extravagant for the money the family has.
(d) They are very poor.
10. About whom is Ned often confused?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) Mrs. Scallop.
11. What does Mama give Ned for his birthday?
(a) A bike.
(b) A watch.
(c) A book.
(d) A fishing pole.
12. What does Mr. Scully use for lighting?
(a) A fancy chandelier.
(b) A bare electric bulb.
(c) A flashlight.
(d) A kerosene lamp.
13. Where does Ned travel that night?
(a) To his best friend's house.
(b) To the woods.
(c) To the back pasture.
(d) To the lake.
14. Who are Evelyn Kimball, Janet Hoffman, and Billy Gaskell?
(a) Ned's three favorite cousins.
(b) Ned's closest friends.
(c) The most popular kids at school.
(d) Three kids at Ned's church.
15. Where does Ned walk by where his mother used to keep her horse?
(a) Stables on what is now someone else's property.
(b) The old stable near the lake.
(c) The back pasture.
(d) The old barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Ned worry when he gets back to his room with his presents?
2. Of what is Ned afraid if his dad learns of the rifle incident?
3. What does Evelyn Kimball say she saw when Ned and his friends are talking?
4. What does Mama mention that embarrasses Ned?
5. What does Doris send Mr. Scully about once a month?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)