|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many siblings does Ned have?
2. What does Evie Kimball's father do?
(c) Brick layer.
3. Of what is Ned afraid if his dad learns of the rifle incident?
(a) That his dad will tell his mother.
(b) That his dad will beat him.
(c) That his father will be disappointed in him.
(d) That his dad will never give him the rifle.
4. About whom is Ned often confused?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His mother.
(c) Mrs. Scallop.
(d) His father.
5. What does Ned think of his present from Mrs. Scallop?
(a) That it's horrible.
(b) That the shoulders are too big.
(c) That the fingers are too short.
(d) That the colors are nice.
6. For whom are the turkey scraps that Ned saves?
(a) Mr. Scully's old dog.
(b) The one-eye cat.
(c) The neighbor's new puppy.
(d) Evelyn Kimball's dog.
7. What does Mama mention that embarrasses Ned?
(a) His changing voice.
(b) His uncle's high regard for Ned.
(c) The air rifle.
(d) A girl in his school.
8. Where does Ned travel that night?
(a) To the back pasture.
(b) To the lake.
(c) To the woods.
(d) To his best friend's house.
9. What is one chore Ned does for Mr. Scully?
(a) Paints the house.
(b) Fixes the plumbing.
(c) Chops wood.
(d) Slops the pigs.
10. Where does Ned walk by where his mother used to keep her horse?
(a) The back pasture.
(b) Stables on what is now someone else's property.
(c) The old stable near the lake.
(d) The old barn.
11. What does Doris send Mr. Scully about once a month?
(a) A long letter.
(b) A box of cookies.
(c) Pictures of her and the family.
(d) A postcard.
12. What does Ned wish about visiting his mother?
(a) That she didn't ask him so many questions.
(b) That it wasn't so glum.
(c) That she didn't ask him about school.
(d) He could do so whenever he wants.
13. From what book does Ned's teacher read in honor of Ned's birthday?
(a) The House of Seven Gables.
(b) The Last of the Mohicans.
(c) The Call of the Wild.
(d) Life on the Mississippi.
14. What does Mr. Scully use for lighting?
(a) A bare electric bulb.
(b) A fancy chandelier.
(c) A kerosene lamp.
(d) A flashlight.
15. In what decades is the novel set?
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Ned lie to his mama?
2. What emotion seems to be just below the surface of Mrs. Scallop?
3. When does he want to take Ned?
4. What does Mrs. Scallop say would happen if Ned does not blow out all his birthday candles?
5. What does Ned have trouble doing that his father told him to do?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)