|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ned realize his father is taking his present?
(a) To the basement.
(b) To the neighbor's home.
(c) To the attic.
(d) To the church.
2. Where does Ned and his father visit a parishioner years before?
(a) A veteran's home.
(b) An asylum.
(d) The hospital.
3. What does Mr. Scully say comes into his yard regularly?
(a) A bear.
(b) The one-eyed cat.
(c) A raccoon.
(d) Two deer.
4. In what country does Hilary buy a butterfly enclosed in glass?
5. About whom is Ned often confused?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His father.
(c) Mrs. Scallop.
(d) His mother.
6. Why is Ned particularly excited about traveling with Hilary?
(a) He can backpack in the mountains.
(b) He gets to do something that his sister does not.
(c) Ned has never traveled before.
(d) He gets to do something that his brother does not.
7. What is Powerful Katinka?
(a) A advertising character.
(b) A teenage girl down the street from Ned.
(c) A cartoon character.
(d) A vacuum cleaner.
8. Why does Ned not mind listening to Mr. Scully ramble?
(a) Mr. Scully is likeable.
(b) He does not know he is rambling.
(c) He gives Ned money.
(d) He knows a lot about exotic countries.
9. Why does Ned feel sad for Mr. Scully?
(a) Because he and his daughter are not close.
(b) Because he sometimes calls Ned by his dead son's name.
(c) Because he sometimes can't remember where he is.
(d) Because he can't breathe well.
10. What does Mr. Scully say he does regularly now?
(a) Writes his daughter.
(b) Feeds the one-eyed cat.
(c) Bakes biscuits.
(d) Sees his dead son's ghost.
11. What do many people lose during the Great Depression?
(a) Their homes.
(b) Their motivation.
(c) Their ability to travel extensively.
12. What has Ned's father installed on the house for protection?
(a) Door locks.
(b) Bars on the windows.
(c) Lightening rods.
(d) Nothing; the town is quite safe.
13. Who does Ned knows that lives in New York City?
(a) His great-aunt.
(b) His great-grandmother.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His maternal grandmother.
14. How many housekeepers has the Wallis family had, including the present one?
15. What does Ned notice about the things Doris sent for the last three months?
(a) They are addressed in a very shaky handwriting.
(b) They are stale.
(c) The pictures in the letters do not include Doris herself.
(d) They all have the same picture on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Evie Kimball's father do?
2. What does Mrs. Kimball do?
3. For whom are the turkey scraps that Ned saves?
4. What did Ned feel on the day of the visit with his father years ago that he felt when he went out in the night?
5. What does Mrs. Scallop tell Ned about his birth?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)