|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ned notice about the things Doris sent for the last three months?
(a) They are addressed in a very shaky handwriting.
(b) They all have the same picture on them.
(c) They are stale.
(d) The pictures in the letters do not include Doris herself.
2. For how long has Ned's mother been ill?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 6 years.
(d) Most of her life.
3. What does Evelyn Kimball say she saw when Ned and his friends are talking?
(a) The one-eyed cat.
(b) A bear.
(c) A panther.
(d) Her best friend kissing a boy down the street.
4. What does Mr. Scully say he does regularly now?
(a) Writes his daughter.
(b) Feeds the one-eyed cat.
(c) Bakes biscuits.
(d) Sees his dead son's ghost.
5. Where does Ned go after the household is in bed?
(a) To the basement.
(b) Outside to catch frogs.
(c) Outside to try to catch a raccoon.
(d) To retrieve his present.
6. In what decades is the novel set?
7. From what book does Ned's teacher read in honor of Ned's birthday?
(a) The Call of the Wild.
(b) Life on the Mississippi.
(c) The Last of the Mohicans.
(d) The House of Seven Gables.
8. What is one chore Ned does for Mr. Scully?
(a) Fixes the plumbing.
(b) Paints the house.
(c) Chops wood.
(d) Slops the pigs.
9. What kind of potatoes does Mrs. Brewster serve?
(a) Lumpy mashed.
(b) The best in the town.
(c) French fried.
10. Why is James Willis upset with Hilary?
(a) James thinks Ned's birthday gift is not appropriate.
(b) James thinks Hilary makes James look bad.
(c) James is not upset with Hilary.
(d) James wishes Hilary would not waste money.
11. What did Ned feel on the day of the visit with his father years ago that he felt when he went out in the night?
(a) That he was never going to understand his father.
(b) That life was far beyond his comprehension.
(c) That he was older than his father realized.
(d) That he was being watched.
12. Why does Ned not mind listening to Mr. Scully ramble?
(a) He does not know he is rambling.
(b) He gives Ned money.
(c) Mr. Scully is likeable.
(d) He knows a lot about exotic countries.
13. How does Ned perceive his family life before his mother is ill?
(a) As solemn.
(b) As boring.
(c) As calm.
(d) As happy.
14. About whom is Ned often confused?
(a) His father.
(b) Mrs. Scallop.
(c) His mother.
(d) His best friend.
15. What does Mr. Scully make homemade?
(a) Applesauce and bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ned refrain from saying to his mother?
2. What emotion seems to be just below the surface of Mrs. Scallop?
3. What do many people lose during the Great Depression?
4. Who is Cosmo?
5. What has Ned's father installed on the house for protection?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)