|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Scully make homemade?
(c) Applesauce and bread.
2. What is one chore Ned does for Mr. Scully?
(a) Paints the house.
(b) Fixes the plumbing.
(c) Slops the pigs.
(d) Chops wood.
3. How old is Mr. Scully?
(a) About 80.
(b) About 55.
(c) About 95.
(d) About 70.
4. Who has cake and lemonade in Ned's mother's room?
(a) Ned and his older brother who comes home for the ocassion.
(b) Just Ned and Mrs. Scallop as his father has been called out to a death.
(c) Just Ned as his father has been called out to a death.
(d) Papa, Ned and Mrs. Scallop.
5. What causes Ned both great anxiety and excitement?
(a) The idea that his mother is getting better.
(b) The idea that he has to take fencing lessons.
(c) Having snuck the rifle out of his house in opposition to his father's orders.
(d) The idea of going somewhere with just Hilary for Christmas.
6. For how long has Ned's mother been ill?
(a) Most of her life.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 6 years.
7. Why is Ned particularly excited about traveling with Hilary?
(a) He gets to do something that his sister does not.
(b) He gets to do something that his brother does not.
(c) Ned has never traveled before.
(d) He can backpack in the mountains.
8. Why does Ned feel sad for Mr. Scully?
(a) Because he and his daughter are not close.
(b) Because he can't breathe well.
(c) Because he sometimes calls Ned by his dead son's name.
(d) Because he sometimes can't remember where he is.
9. What does the narrator say about the Brewster's lifestyle?
(a) They are very poor.
(b) Typical middle class.
(c) It is extravagant for the money the family has.
(d) Very high class and ostentatious but they can afford it.
10. Where does Hilary want to take Ned?
(b) Nag's Head.
11. What does Mrs. Scallop say would happen if Ned does not blow out all his birthday candles?
(a) His birthday next year will be late.
(b) He wouldn't get his wish.
(c) His father would not return.
(d) A strange fate would befall him.
12. What does Ned decide about Charleston?
(a) He will do whatever his father tells him to do.
(b) He does not want to go.
(c) He wants to go but not until the summer.
(d) He wants to go but only for the day.
13. What does Ned take Mr. Scully every day?
(b) A bottle of milk.
(d) Mail and newspaper.
14. What does Ned leave out on the porch at Mr. Scully's?
(a) Bread and milk.
(b) Bird seed.
(c) A rat trap.
15. In what month does Ned's birthday fall?
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Ned feel a little jealous?
2. How old is Ned when his mother becomes ill?
3. What does Mrs. Scallop sometimes lapse into?
4. Where does Doris live?
5. What does Doris send Mr. Scully about once a month?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)