|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ned refrain from saying to his mother?
(a) That the girl is mean to Ned.
(b) That he wishes she wouldn't say anything about his voice.
(c) Anything about taking the rifle out late at night.
(d) That his uncle doesn't act like he likes Ned.
2. Who does Ned like to visit regularly?
(a) The neighbor at the end of the block.
(b) His cousins who live about a mile away.
(c) His mother.
(d) The sexton at the church.
3. Where does Ned get the bronze goat he has in his room?
(a) His mother had it as a child.
(b) Hilary got it in Greece.
(c) His father had it as a child.
(d) He found it at a secondhand shop.
4. What does Mr. Scully never use?
5. What does Mr. Scully give Ned for Ned's birthday?
(a) A piece of soapstone carved with Chinese characters.
(b) A carving knife.
(c) A comic book.
(d) A whistle.
6. About whom is Ned often confused?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) Mrs. Scallop.
7. What does Mrs. Scallop sometimes lapse into?
(a) Periods of bossiness.
(b) Periods of sullen silence.
(c) Periods of joking with Ned.
(d) Periods of giddy laughter.
8. Why does Ned feel sad for Mr. Scully?
(a) Because he and his daughter are not close.
(b) Because he sometimes calls Ned by his dead son's name.
(c) Because he sometimes can't remember where he is.
(d) Because he can't breathe well.
9. What does Ned's father not understand about Mr. Kimball?
(a) How he affords to feed such a large family.
(b) Why is treats his wife so poorly.
(c) Why he travels out of town so much.
(d) Why he does not discipline his children.
10. What does Mrs. Kimball do?
(a) A practical nurse.
(b) A domestic helper.
(c) A stay-at-home housewife.
(d) A school teacher.
11. From what book does Ned's teacher read in honor of Ned's birthday?
(a) The Last of the Mohicans.
(b) Life on the Mississippi.
(c) The Call of the Wild.
(d) The House of Seven Gables.
12. When does James say Ned can have his present?
(a) When Ned is 14.
(b) When Ned takes a course on fencing.
(c) When Ned proves he is responsible by caring for the cows.
(d) When Ned turns 16.
13. About what does Ned lie to his mama?
(a) The need to stay after school for the week.
(c) The need to write a poem about autumn.
(d) The need to have a new notebook for school.
14. When does he want to take Ned?
(a) During Spring break.
(b) Over Christmas vacation.
(c) Just before planting time.
(d) After fall harvest.
15. Of what does Ned feel a little jealous?
(a) His mother's close relationship with Hilary.
(b) His mother's close relationship with the neighbor's little girl.
(c) His mother's close relationship with his older sister.
(d) His father's close relationship with Hilary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Ned and his father eat supper on the Sunday before Ned's birthday?
2. What causes Ned both great anxiety and excitement?
3. In what month does Ned's birthday fall?
4. What are many of the homes like near where Ned lives?
5. What magazine does Ned love?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)