|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ned decide about Charleston?
(a) He wants to go but only for the day.
(b) He does not want to go.
(c) He will do whatever his father tells him to do.
(d) He wants to go but not until the summer.
2. What does Mama give Ned for his birthday?
(a) A book.
(b) A fishing pole.
(c) A bike.
(d) A watch.
3. How old is Mr. Scully?
(a) About 80.
(b) About 70.
(c) About 55.
(d) About 95.
4. For how long has Ned's mother been ill?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 3 years.
(c) Most of her life.
(d) 6 years.
5. What does Ned's father not understand about Mr. Kimball?
(a) Why he travels out of town so much.
(b) How he affords to feed such a large family.
(c) Why he does not discipline his children.
(d) Why is treats his wife so poorly.
6. What does Ned imagine as he is outside at night?
(a) A shadowy figure.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A mountain lion.
(d) A bear.
7. Why does the family sleep downstairs one night?
(a) The furnace is broken.
(b) There is a leak in the roof.
(c) They do not sleep downstairs.
(d) There is a severe storm.
8. Why does Ned not mind listening to Mr. Scully ramble?
(a) He knows a lot about exotic countries.
(b) He gives Ned money.
(c) Mr. Scully is likeable.
(d) He does not know he is rambling.
9. What does Mama mention that embarrasses Ned?
(a) The air rifle.
(b) His changing voice.
(c) A girl in his school.
(d) His uncle's high regard for Ned.
10. Where does Ned walk by where his mother used to keep her horse?
(a) The old barn.
(b) The back pasture.
(c) Stables on what is now someone else's property.
(d) The old stable near the lake.
11. What does Mr. Scully make homemade?
(d) Applesauce and bread.
12. What does Ned think of his present from Mrs. Scallop?
(a) That the colors are nice.
(b) That the shoulders are too big.
(c) That the fingers are too short.
(d) That it's horrible.
13. About what does Ned lie to his mama?
(b) The need to write a poem about autumn.
(c) The need to stay after school for the week.
(d) The need to have a new notebook for school.
14. What does Ned refrain from saying to his mother?
(a) That his uncle doesn't act like he likes Ned.
(b) That he wishes she wouldn't say anything about his voice.
(c) That the girl is mean to Ned.
(d) Anything about taking the rifle out late at night.
15. What does Ned clear out of Mr. Scully's attic?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is James Willis upset with Hilary?
2. Who are Evelyn Kimball, Janet Hoffman, and Billy Gaskell?
3. To whom had the present once belonged?
4. How many housekeepers has the Wallis family had, including the present one?
5. What does Evelyn Kimball say she saw when Ned and his friends are talking?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)