|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what book does Ned's teacher read in honor of Ned's birthday?
(a) Life on the Mississippi.
(b) The Call of the Wild.
(c) The Last of the Mohicans.
(d) The House of Seven Gables.
2. Where does Ned get the bronze goat he has in his room?
(a) His mother had it as a child.
(b) He found it at a secondhand shop.
(c) His father had it as a child.
(d) Hilary got it in Greece.
3. Why does Ned feel safe?
(a) Because Mrs. Scallop is there.
(b) Because his father is a minister.
(c) Because his father is a soldier.
(d) Because he believes strongly in God.
4. How many siblings does Ned have?
5. What do Ned and Mr. Scully watch in the yard through the window?
(a) A feral cat.
(b) A neighbor's new puppy.
(c) A robin pulling a worm out of the ground.
(d) A pair of jays fighting.
6. What does the narrator say about the Brewster's lifestyle?
(a) Typical middle class.
(b) It is extravagant for the money the family has.
(c) They are very poor.
(d) Very high class and ostentatious but they can afford it.
7. About what does Ned lie to his mama?
(a) The need to stay after school for the week.
(b) The need to write a poem about autumn.
(d) The need to have a new notebook for school.
8. Why does Ned feel guilty when he is watching out the window with Mr. Scully?
(a) The robin's one wing looks clipped.
(b) He knows his mother would love to be able to be outdoors with him.
(c) The cat only has one eye.
(d) The one jay's foot is mangled.
9. What does Evelyn Kimball say she saw when Ned and his friends are talking?
(a) The one-eyed cat.
(b) A panther.
(c) Her best friend kissing a boy down the street.
(d) A bear.
10. What does Ned take Mr. Scully every day?
(a) Mail and newspaper.
(d) A bottle of milk.
11. Why is Ned particularly excited about traveling with Hilary?
(a) Ned has never traveled before.
(b) He gets to do something that his brother does not.
(c) He can backpack in the mountains.
(d) He gets to do something that his sister does not.
12. Who brings cookies and apples to Ned's class?
(a) Mrs. Scallop.
(b) No one.
(c) Ned's father.
(d) Miss Jefferson.
13. What does Ned refrain from saying to his mother?
(a) That he wishes she wouldn't say anything about his voice.
(b) That the girl is mean to Ned.
(c) That his uncle doesn't act like he likes Ned.
(d) Anything about taking the rifle out late at night.
14. Who is Hilary?
(a) Ned's across-the-street neighbor.
(b) Ned's uncle.
(c) Ned's grandfather.
(d) Ned's cousin.
15. Why does Ned think his father will be upset with him?
(a) If Ned says he does not want to go with Hilary.
(b) If his father learns of his night visit to the woods.
(c) If Ned refuses to take the safety class.
(d) If his father learns that he intentionally broke his sister's doll.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ned travel that night?
2. What does Ned's father not understand about Mr. Kimball?
3. How does Ned perceive his family life before his mother is ill?
4. Why does the family sleep downstairs one night?
5. In what area of the country does Ned and his family live?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)