|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ned particularly excited about traveling with Hilary?
(a) Ned has never traveled before.
(b) He gets to do something that his sister does not.
(c) He can backpack in the mountains.
(d) He gets to do something that his brother does not.
2. Where does Ned get the bronze goat he has in his room?
(a) Hilary got it in Greece.
(b) His father had it as a child.
(c) His mother had it as a child.
(d) He found it at a secondhand shop.
3. To whom had the present once belonged?
(a) Mama's brother.
(b) No one.
(c) Mama's cousin.
(d) Ned's grandfather.
4. What does the narrator say about the Brewster's lifestyle?
(a) Typical middle class.
(b) They are very poor.
(c) It is extravagant for the money the family has.
(d) Very high class and ostentatious but they can afford it.
5. How many siblings does Ned have?
6. Who is Mrs. Scallop?
(a) The next-door neighbor to the Wallis family.
(b) The present housekeeper for the Wallis family.
(c) The first housekeeper for the Wallis family.
(d) Ned's current teacher.
7. What does Mrs. Scallop say would happen if Ned does not blow out all his birthday candles?
(a) He wouldn't get his wish.
(b) His birthday next year will be late.
(c) His father would not return.
(d) A strange fate would befall him.
8. Where does Ned and his father visit a parishioner years before?
(a) A veteran's home.
(b) The hospital.
(d) An asylum.
9. Who does Ned knows that lives in New York City?
(a) His maternal grandmother.
(b) His great-aunt.
(c) His great-grandmother.
(d) His uncle.
10. Where does Ned realize his father is taking his present?
(a) To the attic.
(b) To the church.
(c) To the basement.
(d) To the neighbor's home.
11. Who does Ned like to visit regularly?
(a) The sexton at the church.
(b) His cousins who live about a mile away.
(c) His mother.
(d) The neighbor at the end of the block.
12. Why does Ned feel sad for Mr. Scully?
(a) Because he sometimes can't remember where he is.
(b) Because he can't breathe well.
(c) Because he sometimes calls Ned by his dead son's name.
(d) Because he and his daughter are not close.
13. What does Ned refrain from saying to his mother?
(a) That he wishes she wouldn't say anything about his voice.
(b) That the girl is mean to Ned.
(c) That his uncle doesn't act like he likes Ned.
(d) Anything about taking the rifle out late at night.
14. In what country does Hilary buy a butterfly enclosed in glass?
15. In what area of the country does Ned and his family live?
(a) The coastal region of Georgia.
(b) The Pochonos.
(c) The Hudson River Valley.
(d) The Appalachians of Kentucky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has cake and lemonade in Ned's mother's room?
2. Why does Ned feel safe?
3. What do many people lose during the Great Depression?
4. About what does Ned lie to his mama?
5. Who are Evelyn Kimball, Janet Hoffman, and Billy Gaskell?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)