|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbol does Richard see in the water at the beginning of Chapter 20?
2. What birds did Dave use to watch from the jetty?
3. What color dress is Mashara wearing when Richard and Leslie first meet her?
4. What is on the televisions in the media center when Richard and Leslie walk by?
5. How far away do Leslie and Richard have to park from the restaurant they go to on Robertson Boulevard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Marshara?
2. Who does Leslie encounter in the afterlife?
3. What does Lorraine encourage Dave to do in these last months of his life?
4. What does Leslie realize might be one more test or challenge in the pattern?
5. What does Richard tell Dave, the line-boy, at Santa Monica airport about the Seabird?
6. What does Richard call Linda's planet?
7. What promise does Leslie ask Richard to make if she dies first?
8. What are Air Games?
9. What is special about the restaurant that Leslie and Richard eat in after they arrive in Santa Monica?
10. Describe Linda's competitive nature.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are two important symbols of this novel? Discuss the ways they are used in the story and the meaning they convey.
Essay Topic 2
Pye says "When you love someone, when you know they're ready to learn and grow, you set them free." Discuss how Richard and Leslie learn and grow when Pye is not there acting as a shield for them. What experiences do they have that help them determine their destiny?
Essay Topic 3
What is the meaning of the title of this novel? How do Richard and Leslie experience themselves as being one with others? Provide specific textual examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)