|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What style jacket does the line-boy wear?
2. What does Richard see on the wings of the airplane that the fighter plane has in its gun-sight?
3. Where is Leslie driving at the beginning of Chapter 22?
4. What happens when Richard drives the throttle forward at the end of Chapter 17?
5. Why does Richard think he failed an important test when the plane crashed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ronnie tell Leslie in Yosemite?
2. Describe Linda's competitive nature.
3. Describe the setting of the wilderness planet.
4. What do Leslie and Richard learn from eavesdropping on Lorraine and Dave?
5. How does Leslie influence Richard to focus and use his will to change the outcome of the crash?
6. Who does Leslie encounter in the afterlife?
7. What does Lorraine encourage Dave to do in these last months of his life?
8. As Richard's alternate self, how is Krys described?
9. What symbol do Leslie and Richard see in the water that marks their entry back home?
10. Describe Dave and Lorraine's physical appearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the idea fairy? How does she express to Leslie and Richard where ideas come from? How has she been an important influence in Richard and Leslie's lives?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of relationship do Leslie and Richard have at the beginning of the novel? How does it deepen and strengthen as they share a spacetime journey? In what way does their relationship change after they are reunited?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Richard tries to influence his younger self to quit the Air Force. What example does he use to support his argument that a pilot is left feeling the loss of all those he has killed. What does he say about the military leading young men on?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)