|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he hears Dave's story, what does Richard think he and Leslie should do once they get back home?
2. Who is Leslie crying about at the beginning of Chapter 12?
3. What instructions does a voice tell Richard to follow in Chapter 12?
4. What is the sport called that the fighter planes are competing in?
5. Where is Leslie buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Leslie encounter in the afterlife?
2. How does Leslie influence Richard to focus and use his will to change the outcome of the crash?
3. Describe the setting of the wilderness planet.
4. What does Leslie realize might be one more test or challenge in the pattern?
5. How do Richard and Leslie reunite?
6. Describe Linda's competitive nature.
7. How did Leslie and Richard experience the passage of time differently when Leslie was dead?
8. What does Lorraine encourage Dave to do in these last months of his life?
9. What happens when Growly crashes into the water?
10. Describe Dave and Lorraine's physical appearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the author's viewpoint about humanity's ability to keep the earth safe? How does he use the character of Mashara as a symbol of protector? What does it suggest that she is a computer?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of Pye's character in this novel. What role does she play and what do Richard and Leslie think of her? How do they feel about flying without her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Leslie and Richard reunite after the plane crash. What do they have to believe in in order to get past the wall of Richard's grief? How is Leslie able to breach the wall and help Richard create a new reality?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)