|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leslie describe the afterlife in Chapter 19?
2. What does the air smell like in the wilderness planet?
3. According to the alternate Richard in Chapter 16, what does his wife accuse him of?
4. What does Leslie like on the menu when she goes to the restaurant on Robertson Boulevard?
5. What does Mashara call the animal who is hurt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard tell Dave, the line-boy, at Santa Monica airport about the Seabird?
2. What does Lorraine encourage Dave to do in these last months of his life?
3. How does Richard feel when they land in a bar?
4. What are Air Games?
5. Describe the setting of the wilderness planet.
6. What does Richard learn from his alternate self when he imagines talking with him?
7. How does Richard's alternate self make an important change in his life after his wife leaves him?
8. As Richard's alternate self, how is Krys described?
9. How does Leslie react to seeing the new media center?
10. Who does Leslie encounter in the afterlife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Richard tries to influence his younger self to quit the Air Force. What example does he use to support his argument that a pilot is left feeling the loss of all those he has killed. What does he say about the military leading young men on?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the theme of love is used in this novel to transform characters and their lives. What opportunities does love open up to them? How does love provide the answers they seek?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Leslie and Richard reunite after the plane crash. What do they have to believe in in order to get past the wall of Richard's grief? How is Leslie able to breach the wall and help Richard create a new reality?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)