|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leslie wonder if they are trapped in in Chapter 19?
2. What does Leslie see Richard dragging to the surface of the water after the plane crashes in the ocean?
3. What does Ronnie tell Leslie about his accident and death?
4. What kind of restaurant does Leslie take Richard to on Robertson Boulevard?
5. Where does Richard tell Leslie they are headed after he hears a voice giving him directions in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dave and Lorraine's physical appearance.
2. What does Richard tell Dave, the line-boy, at Santa Monica airport about the Seabird?
3. Where do Leslie and Richard land when they jump out of the plane?
4. What does Richard call Linda's planet?
5. What does Richard learn from his alternate self when he imagines talking with him?
6. Why do Leslie and Richard jump out the plane?
7. What promise does Leslie ask Richard to make if she dies first?
8. As Richard's alternate self, how is Krys described?
9. Describe the setting of the wilderness planet.
10. How did Leslie and Richard experience the passage of time differently when Leslie was dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the meaning of the title of this novel? How do Richard and Leslie experience themselves as being one with others? Provide specific textual examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
How does Dave change from feeling bitter about his life to seeing possibilities in the months he has left? How does Lorraine help him see life in new way? In what ways does Dave's experience influence Richard and Leslie to live differently when they return home?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Richard tries to influence his younger self to quit the Air Force. What example does he use to support his argument that a pilot is left feeling the loss of all those he has killed. What does he say about the military leading young men on?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)