|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the line-boy say about flying a Seabird?
2. What does Richard's alternate self invite Leslie and Richard to do in Chapter 12?
3. Who is Leslie crying about at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. Who does Richard quote when he and Leslie are driving to the hotel?
5. How does Leslie describe the afterlife in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Richard's alternate self, how is Krys described?
2. What do Leslie and Richard remember that Pye told them about guiding themselves home?
3. Who does Leslie encounter in the afterlife?
4. Describe the setting of the wilderness planet.
5. What do Leslie and Richard learn from eavesdropping on Lorraine and Dave?
6. What does Richard tell Dave, the line-boy, at Santa Monica airport about the Seabird?
7. Why do Leslie and Richard jump out the plane?
8. What promise does Leslie ask Richard to make if she dies first?
9. How does Richard feel when they land in a bar?
10. What does Richard learn from his alternate self when he imagines talking with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the author's viewpoint about humanity's ability to keep the earth safe? How does he use the character of Mashara as a symbol of protector? What does it suggest that she is a computer?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the idea fairy? How does she express to Leslie and Richard where ideas come from? How has she been an important influence in Richard and Leslie's lives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the theme of love is used in this novel to transform characters and their lives. What opportunities does love open up to them? How does love provide the answers they seek?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)