|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city is the seventeen-year-old Leslie giving a recital?
2. Where do Richard and Leslie land in Chapter 11?
3. What drives right through Leslie and Richard in Chapter 7?
4. Where do Richard and Leslie try to land their plane at the beginning of the novel?
5. Where does Richard think they have landed at the beginning of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Richard think they are the same people as they were before their spacetime travel?
2. What important concept does Richard think about on the mountainside after Le Clerc has left them alone?
3. How does Leslie get Richard to agree to stay in their alternate universe?
4. How did Tink influence Richard psychically regarding his first novel?
5. Describe the setting of Spring Hill.
6. How does Leslie react to seeing the new media center?
7. How does Leslie influence Richard to focus and use his will to change the outcome of the crash?
8. Describe the idea foundry.
9. What is special about the restaurant that Leslie and Richard eat in after they arrive in Santa Monica?
10. Why does Leslie enter the tent in the desert?
Essay Topic 1
What is the meaning of the title of this novel? How do Richard and Leslie experience themselves as being one with others? Provide specific textual examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how both Richard and Leslie positively influence their alternate selves. What important things do they help them understand so they can make better choices? Provide specific textual examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
What are two important symbols of this novel? Discuss the ways they are used in the story and the meaning they convey.
This section contains 1,364 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)