Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Leslie scream when she and Richard are flying a plane in Chapter 2?
2. What makes Tink cry?
3. Who is Pye?
4. How much time does Richard estimate they have left to fly the plane when the fuel gauge is not working at the beginning of the novel?
5. How do the couple that Leslie and Richard meet in Chapter 11 know they are Americans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of Spring Hill.
2. Describe what happens when Richard and Leslie are flying and Richard bends down to fix the squawk box.
3. Describe how Richard and Leslie learn that Tink is the idea fairy.
4. How does Richard's alternate self make an important change in his life after his wife leaves him?
5. As Richard's alternate self, how is Krys described?
6. Why does Leslie enter the tent in the desert?
7. What promise does Leslie ask Richard to make if she dies first?
8. How does Richard's dark side come out when Leslie is attacked in the desert?
9. What kinds of questions does the younger Richard ask the older Richard to answer in order to prove his identity?
10. What does Leslie realize might be one more test or challenge in the pattern?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of Pye's character in this novel. What role does she play and what do Richard and Leslie think of her? How do they feel about flying without her?
Essay Topic 2
What do Leslie and Richard's spacetime travels show us about choice and destiny? Do their experiences suggest they can create a different reality just by making different choices? How so? Use textual examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the theme of love is used in this novel to transform characters and their lives. What opportunities does love open up to them? How does love provide the answers they seek?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)