|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Leslie scream when she and Richard are flying a plane in Chapter 2?
2. What makes Tink cry?
3. Who is Pye?
4. How much time does Richard estimate they have left to fly the plane when the fuel gauge is not working at the beginning of the novel?
5. How do the couple that Leslie and Richard meet in Chapter 11 know they are Americans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of Spring Hill.
2. Describe what happens when Richard and Leslie are flying and Richard bends down to fix the squawk box.
3. Describe how Richard and Leslie learn that Tink is the idea fairy.
4. How does Richard's alternate self make an important change in his life after his wife leaves him?
5. As Richard's alternate self, how is Krys described?
6. Why does Leslie enter the tent in the desert?
7. What promise does Leslie ask Richard to make if she dies first?
8. How does Richard's dark side come out when Leslie is attacked in the desert?
9. What kinds of questions does the younger Richard ask the older Richard to answer in order to prove his identity?
10. What does Leslie realize might be one more test or challenge in the pattern?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how both Richard and Leslie positively influence their alternate selves. What important things do they help them understand so they can make better choices? Provide specific textual examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Pye says "When you love someone, when you know they're ready to learn and grow, you set them free." Discuss how Richard and Leslie learn and grow when Pye is not there acting as a shield for them. What experiences do they have that help them determine their destiny?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of the young Leslie. What conflict does she have with her mother? How does her sense of determination compel her to achieve her dreams? In what way does Leslie's advice influence her?
This section contains 1,524 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)