|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Leslie and Richard feel without Pye in the seaplane?
2. At the beginning of the novel, where do Richard and Leslie plan to meet scientific researchers?
3. In what city is the seventeen-year-old Leslie giving a recital?
4. What reason does Richard give for not wanting to enter the tent in the desert?
5. Before Pye leaves Leslie and Richard in Chapter 8, what advice does she give them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important concept does Richard think about on the mountainside after Le Clerc has left them alone?
2. How does Leslie rely on her intuition?
3. Describe what happens when Richard and Leslie are flying and Richard bends down to fix the squawk box.
4. What are Richard and Leslie confronted with in the hotel?
5. What is unusual about the experience Leslie and Richard have in Moscow?
6. Describe what happens when Richard and Leslie feel an earthquake.
7. What does Leslie tell young Richard about when they will meet?
8. Describe the idea foundry.
9. Why does Leslie burn the sheaf of papers?
10. What does Pye tell Richard and Leslie about where they are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of violence in this novel. Does Richard have past lifetimes of living in a violent way? How so? In what ways has he evolved?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of relationship do Leslie and Richard have at the beginning of the novel? How does it deepen and strengthen as they share a spacetime journey? In what way does their relationship change after they are reunited?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of the young Leslie. What conflict does she have with her mother? How does her sense of determination compel her to achieve her dreams? In what way does Leslie's advice influence her?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)