Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Leslie scream when she and Richard are flying a plane in Chapter 2?
2. What makes Tink cry?
3. Who is Pye?
4. How much time does Richard estimate they have left to fly the plane when the fuel gauge is not working at the beginning of the novel?
5. How do the couple that Leslie and Richard meet in Chapter 11 know they are Americans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of Spring Hill.
2. Describe what happens when Richard and Leslie are flying and Richard bends down to fix the squawk box.
3. Describe how Richard and Leslie learn that Tink is the idea fairy.
4. How does Richard's alternate self make an important change in his life after his wife leaves him?
5. As Richard's alternate self, how is Krys described?
6. Why does Leslie enter the tent in the desert?
7. What promise does Leslie ask Richard to make if she dies first?
8. How does Richard's dark side come out when Leslie is attacked in the desert?
9. What kinds of questions does the younger Richard ask the older Richard to answer in order to prove his identity?
10. What does Leslie realize might be one more test or challenge in the pattern?
Essay Topic 1
Who is the idea fairy? How does she express to Leslie and Richard where ideas come from? How has she been an important influence in Richard and Leslie's lives?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of the young Leslie. What conflict does she have with her mother? How does her sense of determination compel her to achieve her dreams? In what way does Leslie's advice influence her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of violence in this novel. Does Richard have past lifetimes of living in a violent way? How so? In what ways has he evolved?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)