|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Pye leaves Leslie and Richard in Chapter 8, what advice does she give them?
2. What does young Richard say he likes about flying fighter planes?
3. Who is Pye?
4. What did Lieutenant Wyatt write on the chalk board?
5. What does Leslie's mother send to New York in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Leslie burn the sheaf of papers?
2. How did Tink influence Richard psychically regarding his first novel?
3. Describe how Richard and Leslie learn that Tink is the idea fairy.
4. Describe what happens when Richard and Leslie are flying and Richard bends down to fix the squawk box.
5. What kinds of questions does the younger Richard ask the older Richard to answer in order to prove his identity?
6. What important concept does Richard think about on the mountainside after Le Clerc has left them alone?
7. What does Leslie tell the young Leslie about her career as an actor?
8. Describe Attila the Hun's reasons for his violent behavior.
9. Describe the conflict between the younger Leslie and her mother.
10. What does Pye tell Richard and Leslie about where they are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the author's viewpoint about humanity's ability to keep the earth safe? How does he use the character of Mashara as a symbol of protector? What does it suggest that she is a computer?
Essay Topic 2
What do Leslie and Richard's spacetime travels show us about choice and destiny? Do their experiences suggest they can create a different reality just by making different choices? How so? Use textual examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Leslie and Richard reunite after the plane crash. What do they have to believe in in order to get past the wall of Richard's grief? How is Leslie able to breach the wall and help Richard create a new reality?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)