|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard say he was once terrified of in Chapter 1?
2. What is "Growly"?
3. What reason does Richard give for not wanting to enter the tent in the desert?
4. What does Pye say that Richard and Leslie need in order to get back home?
5. What does Leslie's younger self ask of Leslie in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of questions does the younger Richard ask the older Richard to answer in order to prove his identity?
2. How do Richard and Leslie try to explain their experience when Los Angeles disappears?
3. Describe the idea foundry.
4. What does Pye tell Richard and Leslie about where they are?
5. What reassurance does Leslie give Richard about his advice to his younger self?
6. What does Leslie tell young Richard about when they will meet?
7. Why does Leslie burn the sheaf of papers?
8. How does Leslie get Richard to agree to stay in their alternate universe?
9. What kind of help does the young Leslie want from Leslie and Richard?
10. What does Richard tell the young man he talks with at William's Air Force base?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of Pye's character in this novel. What role does she play and what do Richard and Leslie think of her? How do they feel about flying without her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Leslie and Richard reunite after the plane crash. What do they have to believe in in order to get past the wall of Richard's grief? How is Leslie able to breach the wall and help Richard create a new reality?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of the young Leslie. What conflict does she have with her mother? How does her sense of determination compel her to achieve her dreams? In what way does Leslie's advice influence her?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)