|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Richard call Leslie in Chapter 8?
2. What does Richard say he was once terrified of in Chapter 1?
3. How many years ago does Richard say he and Leslie first met at the end of Chapter 2?
4. What is the man doing that Richard and Leslie see in the mountains?
5. What book did Richard write as a first-time novelist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dave and Lorraine's physical appearance.
2. What kinds of questions does the younger Richard ask the older Richard to answer in order to prove his identity?
3. Describe the setting of Spring Hill.
4. What promise does Leslie ask Richard to make if she dies first?
5. Who does Leslie encounter in the afterlife?
6. How does Richard's dark side come out when Leslie is attacked in the desert?
7. What do Leslie and Richard remember that Pye told them about guiding themselves home?
8. Describe Linda's competitive nature.
9. How do Richard and Leslie reunite?
10. How does Leslie influence Richard to focus and use his will to change the outcome of the crash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of relationship do Leslie and Richard have at the beginning of the novel? How does it deepen and strengthen as they share a spacetime journey? In what way does their relationship change after they are reunited?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Leslie's experience in the afterlife. Who does she see there and why is it important that she has the opportunity to talk with them?
Essay Topic 3
What is the meaning of the title of this novel? How do Richard and Leslie experience themselves as being one with others? Provide specific textual examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,414 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)