|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the young Leslie ask Leslie and Richard before they leave at the end of Chapter 6?
2. How do the couple that Leslie and Richard meet in Chapter 11 know they are Americans?
3. What kind of animal does Tatiana say "Hallo" to?
4. What does Richard say to Pye about flying up high in Chapter 4?
5. What question does Richard ask Attila that makes him act violently?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the experience Leslie and Richard have in Moscow?
2. How does Leslie rely on her intuition?
3. How did Tink influence Richard psychically regarding his first novel?
4. Where are Richard and Leslie flying to when their world changes?
5. What do Leslie and Richard find on the mountainside they land on?
6. What does Pye tell Richard and Leslie about where they are?
7. Why does Leslie burn the sheaf of papers?
8. How do Richard and Leslie feel when Pye leaves them to fly alone?
9. What important concept does Richard think about on the mountainside after Le Clerc has left them alone?
10. What reassurance does Leslie give Richard about his advice to his younger self?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of Pye's character in this novel. What role does she play and what do Richard and Leslie think of her? How do they feel about flying without her?
Essay Topic 2
Pye says "When you love someone, when you know they're ready to learn and grow, you set them free." Discuss how Richard and Leslie learn and grow when Pye is not there acting as a shield for them. What experiences do they have that help them determine their destiny?
Essay Topic 3
How does Dave change from feeling bitter about his life to seeing possibilities in the months he has left? How does Lorraine help him see life in new way? In what ways does Dave's experience influence Richard and Leslie to live differently when they return home?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)