|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Richard and Leslie land in Chapter 11?
2. What drives right through Leslie and Richard in Chapter 7?
(a) Fuel truck.
3. How does Richard describe Leslie's hair at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Reddish brown.
(b) Black as night.
4. How do Leslie and Richard feel without Pye in the seaplane?
5. What does Atkin say an idea needs in order to change the world?
6. What does the younger Leslie do when she gets off an elevator in Chapter 3?
(a) Goes to find a maid.
(b) Stops and looks out the window.
(c) Hurries toward her room.
(d) Decides to go back down the elevator.
7. What gift does Leslie have that Pye says she blocked from her mind as a young child?
(a) Seeing auras.
(c) Hearing voices.
(d) Speaking to spirits.
8. What is the word for one of the core ideas that Atkins describes to Richard and Leslie?
9. How does Richard describe the factory he and Leslie land in?
(a) Watery and moldy.
(b) Overtime in hell.
(c) A beautiful place.
(d) Cold and joyless.
10. What city vanishes when Richard is flying a plane at the beginning of the novel?
(b) San Diego.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) San Francisco.
11. What makes Leslie scream when she and Richard are flying a plane in Chapter 2?
(a) A bird hitting the window.
(b) Seeing another plane so close.
(d) Yellow flash.
12. What descriptive phrase does Attila use to describe himself?
(a) Scourge of God.
(b) King of Monsters.
(c) Leader of Honorable Men.
(d) God's Helper.
13. What question does Richard ask Attila that makes him act violently?
(a) Why are you so frightened?
(b) Where are the nicer tents?
(c) How do we get out of here?
(d) Where can we stay the night?
14. Who walks out of the elevator at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) An alternate Richard and Leslie on the day they first met.
(b) Friends from years ago.
(c) Leslie's parents.
(d) Hotel owners.
15. What does the young Leslie ask Leslie and Richard before they leave at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) What their ages are.
(b) Whether she will get into the conservatory of her choice.
(c) How old she will be when she marries Richard.
(d) If she will see them again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lieutenant Wyatt write on the chalk board?
2. Who is Tink?
3. What was the name of Richard's dog when he was a child?
4. Who does Richard have to fight to defend Leslie in the desert?
5. What city does Richard say the young Richard might drop a hydrogen bomb on?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)