|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the tribal seer see for the future of the tribe?
2. What does the agent of the Red Cloud agency think May is?
3. As the Cheyenne enter the fort, how are the women greeted by the inhabitants of the fort?
4. What does the visitor bring to Anthony?
5. One of May's arguments in support of moving to the Agency includes the belief that the mixed race children will help the Indians assimilate. What is Phemie's response?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does May try to do each morning, and who often joins her?
2. How are the women seen when they enter the fort with the Cheyenne after living almost six months with the Cheyenne?
3. What do the Indians do on the return trip from the fort that May believes will cause trouble?
4. What is unusual about Wren?
5. During the cold weather, the men spend time in their sweat lodge which is off limits to women. What do the women decide to do for themselves?
6. As a result of the Crow incident, how does Quiet One's attitude toward May change and why?
7. How does the nomadic life of the Cheyenne tribe end?
8. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about taking the tribe to the Agency?
9. What unusual reaction does Daisy have while living with the Cheyenne?
10. What does Woman Who Moves Against the Wind, the tribal holy woman, see for the Cheyenne future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the fact that the author is a man affect the reader's view of the journals of a woman? Jim Fergus was intrigued by the existence of the program and curious about the kinds of women that would have participated in such a program. Do you feel that the author was successful in his impersonation? Do you feel that as a man, he might have been able to add an additional depth to May Dodd's journals? How do you feel about how his life experiences might have affected this creation?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the book's ending and whether or not it is a satisfactory ending for readers. Is it historically accurate? What part does the seer's prophecy play in making the ending more powerful? Does the ending satisfy the bulk of readers' questions?
Essay Topic 3
Leadership is certainly a strong theme throughout One Thousand White Women. What kind of a leader was Chief Little Wolf? What, if any, qualities of a good or strong leader did he exemplify? Was his personality common among the Indians, or was he an exceptional man?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)