|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Gertie bring to May when she visits her at the camp?
2. One day, some of the white women who were gathered together away from the tribe were kidnapped and raped. Which of the women died?
3. How do the Cheyenne feel about May's child?
4. After the kidnapping ordeal, how are the women treated by the tribe?
5. What items are no longer available for trade to the Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does May describe Anthony?
2. What do the Indians do on the return trip from the fort that May believes will cause trouble?
3. What happens to May's journals?
4. How does the nomadic life of the Cheyenne tribe end?
5. As a result of the Crow incident, how does Quiet One's attitude toward May change and why?
6. What does Woman Who Moves Against the Wind, the tribal holy woman, see for the Cheyenne future?
7. How does December 25th pass for the women?
8. Who accompanies the women back from the fort to the Cheyenne camp?
9. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about taking the tribe to the Agency?
10. What happens to Reverend Hare that changes his standing in the tribe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the use of symbolism in the names of some of the characters in the story.
Essay Topic 2
What part does the practice of self-denial, self-mutilation, self-imposed hardships, sacrifices, self-inflicted pain, and fasting play in the book? What purpose does this theme have in the telling of the story? Use specific illustrations from the book to support your contention.
Essay Topic 3
Which character had the most dramatic growth from the beginning of the text to the end? Please support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)