|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Cheyenne feel about May's child?
2. What does May tell Martha about the night of the abduction?
3. What does Narcissis do at the fort?
4. What does the visitor bring to Anthony?
5. What is May's favorite time of day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Indians do on the return trip from the fort that May believes will cause trouble?
2. What is unusual about Wren?
3. What does May try to do each morning, and who often joins her?
4. What happens to May's journals?
5. How does Chief Little Wolf respond to the Sioux request that the Cheyenne join them as they go to war against the white man?
6. What terrible thing happens that make the women believe the Cheyenne are truly savages?
7. What happens to the women on one of these morning outings?
8. How does Phemie handle her life in the tribe?
9. How does May describe Anthony?
10. What happens to Chief Little Wolf and some members of the tribe that makes him reconsider who their enemy really is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the book's ending and whether or not it is a satisfactory ending for readers. Is it historically accurate? What part does the seer's prophecy play in making the ending more powerful? Does the ending satisfy the bulk of readers' questions?
Essay Topic 2
What part does the practice of self-denial, self-mutilation, self-imposed hardships, sacrifices, self-inflicted pain, and fasting play in the book? What purpose does this theme have in the telling of the story? Use specific illustrations from the book to support your contention.
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the character of May Dodd. What are some of the characteristics that made it possible for her to adapt to her new life? People change, but did May remain true to herself in the end? Was she the best person to tell the story, or would one of the other women have been a better choice? Fully support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)