|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chief Little Wolf decide to ban from camp because it causes harm?
2. What does the visitor bring to Anthony?
3. What does Narcissis do at the fort?
4. How do the men react when Gretchen's husband challenges her?
5. What happens very soon after the Cheyenne arrive at the winter camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Woman Who Moves Against the Wind, the tribal holy woman, see for the Cheyenne future?
2. Who accompanies the women back from the fort to the Cheyenne camp?
3. What terrible thing happens that make the women believe the Cheyenne are truly savages?
4. What items are denied the Cheyenne during the attempts to trade at the fort?
5. How does Chief Little Wolf respond to the Sioux request that the Cheyenne join them as they go to war against the white man?
6. What does Anthony decide to do as the tribe prepares to move to the Agency?
7. How does the nomadic life of the Cheyenne tribe end?
8. How does Phemie handle her life in the tribe?
9. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about taking the tribe to the Agency?
10. What happens to May's journals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did this story changed you? If you could identify one thing that made a lasting impression, what would that be and why? On an emotional level, would you recommend the book?
Essay Topic 2
What differences are there in the interpretation of moral behavior between the white man's culture, as exemplified by the white women, and the Indians? Use comments made in the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the book's ending and whether or not it is a satisfactory ending for readers. Is it historically accurate? What part does the seer's prophecy play in making the ending more powerful? Does the ending satisfy the bulk of readers' questions?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)