|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does May believe the Indians have not easily convert to Christianity?
2. What does May observe about Anthony's sharing of his Christian faith?
3. How does May feel about moving to the Agency?
4. How are the women seen by the people of the fort?
5. What are some of the Cheyenne joining the Sioux to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a result of the Crow incident, how does Quiet One's attitude toward May change and why?
2. What does Chief Little Wolf do to let the white man know he intends to comply with their demands that the tribe move to the Agency?
3. How does Phemie handle her life in the tribe?
4. What does May try to do each morning, and who often joins her?
5. How does the nomadic life of the Cheyenne tribe end?
6. What do the Indians do on the return trip from the fort that May believes will cause trouble?
7. What does May tell Chief Little Wolf he will have to do in order to comply with the law of the white man?
8. How does December 25th pass for the women?
9. What happens to Chief Little Wolf and some members of the tribe that makes him reconsider who their enemy really is?
10. What happens to Reverend Hare that changes his standing in the tribe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the character of May Dodd. What are some of the characteristics that made it possible for her to adapt to her new life? People change, but did May remain true to herself in the end? Was she the best person to tell the story, or would one of the other women have been a better choice? Fully support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How does the fact that the author is a man affect the reader's view of the journals of a woman? Jim Fergus was intrigued by the existence of the program and curious about the kinds of women that would have participated in such a program. Do you feel that the author was successful in his impersonation? Do you feel that as a man, he might have been able to add an additional depth to May Dodd's journals? How do you feel about how his life experiences might have affected this creation?
Essay Topic 3
Leadership is certainly a strong theme throughout One Thousand White Women. What kind of a leader was Chief Little Wolf? What, if any, qualities of a good or strong leader did he exemplify? Was his personality common among the Indians, or was he an exceptional man?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)