|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Quiet One kind to May after the kidnapping ordeal?
2. What news does Gertie bring to May when she visits her at the camp?
3. Who is Woman Who Moves Against the Wind?
4. What is "Seano?"
5. What does Reverend Hare do to incur the wrath of members of the tribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Reverend Hare that changes his standing in the tribe?
2. How does Phemie feel about the Cheyenne moving to the Agency?
3. How does the nomadic life of the Cheyenne tribe end?
4. What do the Indians do on the return trip from the fort that May believes will cause trouble?
5. As a result of the Crow incident, how does Quiet One's attitude toward May change and why?
6. What terrible thing happens that make the women believe the Cheyenne are truly savages?
7. What happens to Chief Little Wolf and some members of the tribe that makes him reconsider who their enemy really is?
8. What does Anthony decide to do as the tribe prepares to move to the Agency?
9. What items are denied the Cheyenne during the attempts to trade at the fort?
10. What does Woman Who Moves Against the Wind, the tribal holy woman, see for the Cheyenne future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What differences are there in the interpretation of moral behavior between the white man's culture, as exemplified by the white women, and the Indians? Use comments made in the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
How does the fact that the author is a man affect the reader's view of the journals of a woman? Jim Fergus was intrigued by the existence of the program and curious about the kinds of women that would have participated in such a program. Do you feel that the author was successful in his impersonation? Do you feel that as a man, he might have been able to add an additional depth to May Dodd's journals? How do you feel about how his life experiences might have affected this creation?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of symbolism in the names of some of the characters in the story.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)