|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Pretty Walker?
2. Who is Woman Who Moves Against the Wind?
3. What is Captain Bourke's first reaction to May the first time he recognizes her?
4. What does Narcissis do at the fort?
5. What do the Sioux Indians come to ask of the Cheyenne tribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about Wren?
2. How does December 25th pass for the women?
3. What does May tell Chief Little Wolf he will have to do in order to comply with the law of the white man?
4. Who accompanies the women back from the fort to the Cheyenne camp?
5. What happens to Chief Little Wolf and some members of the tribe that makes him reconsider who their enemy really is?
6. What items are denied the Cheyenne during the attempts to trade at the fort?
7. How does Phemie feel about the Cheyenne moving to the Agency?
8. What does Chief Little Wolf do to let the white man know he intends to comply with their demands that the tribe move to the Agency?
9. What unusual reaction does Daisy have while living with the Cheyenne?
10. What does May try to do each morning, and who often joins her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did this story changed you? If you could identify one thing that made a lasting impression, what would that be and why? On an emotional level, would you recommend the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the book's ending and whether or not it is a satisfactory ending for readers. Is it historically accurate? What part does the seer's prophecy play in making the ending more powerful? Does the ending satisfy the bulk of readers' questions?
Essay Topic 3
Leadership is certainly a strong theme throughout One Thousand White Women. What kind of a leader was Chief Little Wolf? What, if any, qualities of a good or strong leader did he exemplify? Was his personality common among the Indians, or was he an exceptional man?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)