|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the soldiers put in the fire?
2. One day, some of the white women who were gathered together away from the tribe were kidnapped and raped. Which of the women died?
3. How do the Cheyenne women explain the act of capturing the Shoshone infant's hands to May?
4. What does May find repugnant about the religious practices of the Cheyenne?
5. What is one thing that upsets Little Wolf about moving to the Agency?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the cold weather, the men spend time in their sweat lodge which is off limits to women. What do the women decide to do for themselves?
2. What happens to Reverend Hare that changes his standing in the tribe?
3. Who accompanies the women back from the fort to the Cheyenne camp?
4. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about taking the tribe to the Agency?
5. How does the ordeal with the Crow Indians end for the women?
6. How does May describe Anthony?
7. How does Chief Little Wolf respond to the Sioux request that the Cheyenne join them as they go to war against the white man?
8. What does Chief Little Wolf do to let the white man know he intends to comply with their demands that the tribe move to the Agency?
9. What happens to Chief Little Wolf and some members of the tribe that makes him reconsider who their enemy really is?
10. What items are denied the Cheyenne during the attempts to trade at the fort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are times, throughout the book, that May discusses the idea of being civilized from the perspective of the Cheyenne and the white man. Who is to say, who is the more civilized? Give some examples of May's observation of the the "civilizations" of Indians and white people.
Essay Topic 2
Leadership is certainly a strong theme throughout One Thousand White Women. What kind of a leader was Chief Little Wolf? What, if any, qualities of a good or strong leader did he exemplify? Was his personality common among the Indians, or was he an exceptional man?
Essay Topic 3
Which character had the most dramatic growth from the beginning of the text to the end? Please support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)