|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose tent do May, Martha, and the other women run to when the Indians run amok?
2. Who is Euphemia Washington?
3. What is Narcissa White's reaction to the destructive events the night the Indians drink the whiskey?
4. What is unusual about Stares at Sun, the old Indian who wins the target contest?
5. What does Captain Bourke say to May the evening before leaving the women with the Cheyenne?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people the women encounter on their journey feel about their mission?
2. What is the proposal that Chief Little Wolf presents to President Grant and why?
3. How does Captain Bourke feel about their mission and the attempt to civilize the Indians?
4. How does May feel about the beginning of her trip?
5. How does May feel about Harry?
6. What is unusual about Wren?
7. How does the ordeal with the Crow Indians end for the women?
8. What happens to May's journals?
9. What does May learn about the fort Indians and the Indians living with their tribes?
10. What items are denied the Cheyenne during the attempts to trade at the fort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did this story changed you? If you could identify one thing that made a lasting impression, what would that be and why? On an emotional level, would you recommend the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the transformation of Daisy throughout the story, and explain what causes that transformation.
Essay Topic 3
Now that you know Chief Little Wolf, why do you think he wanted to invite white women to intermarry and bear Indian children as a way of bring the cultures closer together? For instance, he could have suggested an exchange of students and other young people to simply learn about each other. Instead, he chose the most powerful of relationships as a means of bind the cultures. What do you think of his decision? Would another approach have been better?
This section contains 1,560 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)