|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Martha decide to join the Brides for Indians program?
2. How does May describe the camp that is set up at the end of each day of travel?
3. Two days after May meets Captain Bourke, where does he invite her to do?
4. How do the women first meet some of the members of the Cheyenne tribe?
5. What is Reverend Hare doing in all the commotion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does May feel about Harry?
2. What does Captain Bourke feel is the only way to civilize the Indians?
3. Where is May at the beginning of the story, and why is she there?
4. What is unique about Phemie?
5. How does May feel about her attraction to Captain Bourke?
6. What do Helen and May have in common?
7. How does the first journal end under the direction of Phemie?
8. What happens on May's "honeymoon" with the Chief?
9. Who are some of the people that May meets in those first few days of travel after leaving the asylum?
10. Who is Martha, and how does she help May?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What part does the land and nature play in this book? Why does Jim Fergus choose to spend so much time describing the land, the seasons, and the part that living so close to nature played in Indian life? How does the reaction of May and the other women to their chance to live so close to nature, contribute to the story?
Essay Topic 2
How did this story changed you? If you could identify one thing that made a lasting impression, what would that be and why? On an emotional level, would you recommend the book?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the character of May Dodd. What are some of the characteristics that made it possible for her to adapt to her new life? People change, but did May remain true to herself in the end? Was she the best person to tell the story, or would one of the other women have been a better choice? Fully support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)