Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Martha decide to join the Brides for Indians program?
2. What does May believe happened during the wedding ceremony?
3. The women are depressed, but Phemie brings some cheer by doing what?
4. Who are the Kelly sisters, Margaret and Susan?
5. What happens to Jules Seminole because he brought the whiskey to the tribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Phemie handle her life in the tribe?
2. How does the ordeal with the Crow Indians end for the women?
3. How are the women first greeted by the Cheyenne?
4. How does May describe the Cheyenne children?
5. What terrible thing happens that make the women believe the Cheyenne are truly savages?
6. What happens when the Indians drink whiskey?
7. What does May learn about the fort Indians and the Indians living with their tribes?
8. After encountering Jules Seminole, how does May feel about Chief Little Wolf?
9. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about taking the tribe to the Agency?
10. Who accompanies the women back from the fort to the Cheyenne camp?
What part does the land and nature play in this book? Why does Jim Fergus choose to spend so much time describing the land, the seasons, and the part that living so close to nature played in Indian life? How does the reaction of May and the other women to their chance to live so close to nature, contribute to the story?
Now that you know Chief Little Wolf, why do you think he wanted to invite white women to intermarry and bear Indian children as a way of bring the cultures closer together? For instance, he could have suggested an exchange of students and other young people to simply learn about each other. Instead, he chose the most powerful of relationships as a means of bind the cultures. What do you think of his decision? Would another approach have been better?
Which character broke through the gender boundaries the most? Use specific examples in the text to support your selection.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)