Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Martha decide to join the Brides for Indians program?
2. What does May believe happened during the wedding ceremony?
3. The women are depressed, but Phemie brings some cheer by doing what?
4. Who are the Kelly sisters, Margaret and Susan?
5. What happens to Jules Seminole because he brought the whiskey to the tribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Phemie handle her life in the tribe?
2. How does the ordeal with the Crow Indians end for the women?
3. How are the women first greeted by the Cheyenne?
4. How does May describe the Cheyenne children?
5. What terrible thing happens that make the women believe the Cheyenne are truly savages?
6. What happens when the Indians drink whiskey?
7. What does May learn about the fort Indians and the Indians living with their tribes?
8. After encountering Jules Seminole, how does May feel about Chief Little Wolf?
9. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about taking the tribe to the Agency?
10. Who accompanies the women back from the fort to the Cheyenne camp?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the transformation of Daisy throughout the story, and explain what causes that transformation.
Essay Topic 2
What lessons can we learn from this book about prejudice, cultural differences, and living together peacefully? How do you suppose a Native American might react to this book? Can it help to bring the two cultures closer together even now?
Essay Topic 3
What part does the practice of self-denial, self-mutilation, self-imposed hardships, sacrifices, self-inflicted pain, and fasting play in the book? What purpose does this theme have in the telling of the story? Use specific illustrations from the book to support your contention.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)