|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the women learn as they get near the Indians?
2. What happens when Jules Seminole calls Gretchen German?
3. What is Reverend Hare doing in all the commotion?
4. What does May do when she is told about the Black Hills gold?
5. What were May Dodd's feelings while she rode the train on her way to become one of the Brides for Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on May's "honeymoon" with the Chief?
2. What does the reader learn about the Cheyenne belief about a Cheyenne killing a Cheyenne? How does this affect May's distress about Jules Seminole?
3. How does May describe the Cheyenne children?
4. What happens when the Indians drink whiskey?
5. How does May describe the camps that are set up each day during their travels?
6. Who is Lydia Bradley?
7. Who is Jimmy?
8. What is the proposal that Chief Little Wolf presents to President Grant and why?
9. What is one of the things that May and Captain Bourke share?
10. How does the first journal end under the direction of Phemie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the author used the insane asylum as a way to prepare May to be willing to participate in the program? Two other women, Sara and Martha, are also touched by the asylum. How does this help the story? Do you agree that this worked well, or did you disagree with the environment created by the use of the insane asylum?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the book's antagonist? Please support your answer with details and examples from the book. Do you think this character was realistic and well developed or one dimensional?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of symbolism in the names of some of the characters in the story.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)