|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During her "honeymoon," what does May learn to do?
2. How do the women feel about staying with Phemie?
3. According to tribal custom, because Marie Blanche's husband is dead and she is pregnant, what happens to her?
4. The women try to keep in touch but are often too tired to do so. When May finally sees Phemie again, what does Phemie tell her?
5. As the women approach the Indian tribe, what do they learn about the Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Captain Bourke feel is the only way to civilize the Indians?
2. What is discovered in the Black Hills that will change everything for the Cheyenne?
3. How does May feel about Chief Little Wolf after he speaks out against Jules in the tribal council?
4. How does May describe the wedding ceremony?
5. What do Helen and May have in common?
6. How does May feel about her attraction to Captain Bourke?
7. What does May learn about the fort Indians and the Indians living with their tribes?
8. What happens at the shooting tournament?
9. How does the first journal end under the direction of Phemie?
10. What is unusual about Phemie's place in the tribe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did this story changed you? If you could identify one thing that made a lasting impression, what would that be and why? On an emotional level, would you recommend the book?
Essay Topic 2
There are times, throughout the book, that May discusses the idea of being civilized from the perspective of the Cheyenne and the white man. Who is to say, who is the more civilized? Give some examples of May's observation of the the "civilizations" of Indians and white people.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the book's ending and whether or not it is a satisfactory ending for readers. Is it historically accurate? What part does the seer's prophecy play in making the ending more powerful? Does the ending satisfy the bulk of readers' questions?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)