|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmy come to May's tent to ask?
2. What happens to Jules Seminole because he brought the whiskey to the tribe?
3. Two days after May meets Captain Bourke, where does he invite her to do?
4. During the final part of the trip to meet the Cheyenne, what does Captain Bourke tell the women about the Indians?
5. Why was Mary initially willing to participate in the Brides for Indians program?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the shooting tournament?
2. Who is Jimmy?
3. Who are some of the people that May meets in those first few days of travel after leaving the asylum?
4. Who is Lydia Bradley?
5. How does May describe the wedding ceremony?
6. After encountering Jules Seminole, how does May feel about Chief Little Wolf?
7. What is unique about Phemie?
8. How does Captain Bourke feel about their mission and the attempt to civilize the Indians?
9. What is one of the things that May and Captain Bourke share?
10. How do May and Captain Bourke feel about each other the first time they meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did this story changed you? If you could identify one thing that made a lasting impression, what would that be and why? On an emotional level, would you recommend the book?
Essay Topic 2
Please describe how the Kelly sisters, Margaret and Susan, are portrayed throughout the text. Do they change at all? If so, how? If not, why not? What are their main motivations for their actions with the tribe?
Essay Topic 3
How does the character of Phemie affect the story? Consider that while she is obviously angry about the mistreatment in her past, she is an affectionate woman who is very close to May. What is her importance to the story? Do you agree with the author's use of her character? Why or why not?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)