|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are some of the smells involved with living with the Indians that make an impression on May?
2. Why is Helen pleased the last part of the trip as they approach Cheyenne territory?
3. What message does Gertie bring from the fort?
4. How does May feel about the countryside they are traveling through to meet the Indians?
5. How does May describe the camp that is set up at the end of each day of travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the shooting tournament?
2. How does May describe the camps that are set up each day during their travels?
3. How does May feel about Chief Little Wolf after he speaks out against Jules in the tribal council?
4. What does the reader learn about the Cheyenne belief about a Cheyenne killing a Cheyenne? How does this affect May's distress about Jules Seminole?
5. What is unusual about Phemie's place in the tribe?
6. How does May feel about the Indian's relationship with nature and their lives in the camp?
7. How do the people the women encounter on their journey feel about their mission?
8. What do Helen and May have in common?
9. What happens on May's "honeymoon" with the Chief?
10. What is the proposal that Chief Little Wolf presents to President Grant and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe how the Kelly sisters, Margaret and Susan, are portrayed throughout the text. Do they change at all? If so, how? If not, why not? What are their main motivations for their actions with the tribe?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the transformation of Daisy throughout the story, and explain what causes that transformation.
Essay Topic 3
How did this story changed you? If you could identify one thing that made a lasting impression, what would that be and why? On an emotional level, would you recommend the book?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)