|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Jules Seminole calls Gretchen German?
2. What is Reverend Hare doing in all the commotion?
3. What is unusual about the hat that Lydia wears to wave goodbye to the party led by Captain Bourke?
4. What event occurs that makes May feel that men are foolish, loutish creatures?
5. What does May learn about Jimmy during the last days of the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the women first greeted by the Cheyenne?
2. How does May feel about her attraction to Captain Bourke?
3. After encountering Jules Seminole, how does May feel about Chief Little Wolf?
4. Where is May at the beginning of the story, and why is she there?
5. What is one of the things that May and Captain Bourke share?
6. What happens at the shooting tournament?
7. How do the white women originally learn to communicate with the Cheyenne?
8. What happens when the Indians drink whiskey?
9. How does May feel about the Indian's relationship with nature and their lives in the camp?
10. How does May feel about Harry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the character of May Dodd. What are some of the characteristics that made it possible for her to adapt to her new life? People change, but did May remain true to herself in the end? Was she the best person to tell the story, or would one of the other women have been a better choice? Fully support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What lessons can we learn from this book about prejudice, cultural differences, and living together peacefully? How do you suppose a Native American might react to this book? Can it help to bring the two cultures closer together even now?
Essay Topic 3
There are times, throughout the book, that May discusses the idea of being civilized from the perspective of the Cheyenne and the white man. Who is to say, who is the more civilized? Give some examples of May's observation of the the "civilizations" of Indians and white people.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)