|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lydia Bradley?
2. What does May do in the first morning with the Indian tribe that amuses the Indians?
3. What do May and John Bourke do at the end of their conversation the day before the women are to be left with the Cheyenne?
4. What does Captain Bourke say to May the evening before leaving the women with the Cheyenne?
5. What is Reverend Hare doing in all the commotion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on May's "honeymoon" with the Chief?
2. How does May describe the Cheyenne children?
3. What happens when the Indians drink whiskey?
4. How does May feel about her attraction to Captain Bourke?
5. How does May feel about Chief Little Wolf after he speaks out against Jules in the tribal council?
6. What is unusual about Phemie's place in the tribe?
7. How are the women first greeted by the Cheyenne?
8. What happens at the shooting tournament?
9. What does May learn about the fort Indians and the Indians living with their tribes?
10. How do May and Captain Bourke feel about each other the first time they meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Now that you know Chief Little Wolf, why do you think he wanted to invite white women to intermarry and bear Indian children as a way of bring the cultures closer together? For instance, he could have suggested an exchange of students and other young people to simply learn about each other. Instead, he chose the most powerful of relationships as a means of bind the cultures. What do you think of his decision? Would another approach have been better?
Essay Topic 2
Which character broke through the gender boundaries the most? Use specific examples in the text to support your selection.
Essay Topic 3
How did this story changed you? If you could identify one thing that made a lasting impression, what would that be and why? On an emotional level, would you recommend the book?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)