|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amusing incident occurs while the women are being chosen by their Indian husbands-to-be?
2. May and Captain Bourke find they both share an interest in what subject?
3. After the Indians inspect the woman, what is May certain of?
4. Who is Lydia Bradley?
5. What does May teach Chief Little Wolf how to do on their "honeymoon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is discovered in the Black Hills that will change everything for the Cheyenne?
2. How does May feel about the beginning of her trip?
3. Who is Martha, and how does she help May?
4. Who are some of the people that May meets in those first few days of travel after leaving the asylum?
5. How does Captain Bourke feel about their mission and the attempt to civilize the Indians?
6. How do the people the women encounter on their journey feel about their mission?
7. What does Captain Bourke feel is the only way to civilize the Indians?
8. How do May and Captain Bourke feel about each other the first time they meet?
9. How does May feel about her attraction to Captain Bourke?
10. Who is Jimmy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character had the most dramatic growth from the beginning of the text to the end? Please support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Leadership is certainly a strong theme throughout One Thousand White Women. What kind of a leader was Chief Little Wolf? What, if any, qualities of a good or strong leader did he exemplify? Was his personality common among the Indians, or was he an exceptional man?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the book's ending and whether or not it is a satisfactory ending for readers. Is it historically accurate? What part does the seer's prophecy play in making the ending more powerful? Does the ending satisfy the bulk of readers' questions?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)