|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Captain Bourke say to May the evening before leaving the women with the Cheyenne?
2. What kind of Indians were the fort Indians, according to Abigail James?
3. How do the women feel about staying with Phemie?
4. Why is Helen Flight interested in birds?
5. What are some of the smells involved with living with the Indians that make an impression on May?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does May feel about her attraction to Captain Bourke?
2. How does May feel about Chief Little Wolf after he speaks out against Jules in the tribal council?
3. How does May feel about the Indian's relationship with nature and their lives in the camp?
4. How do the white women originally learn to communicate with the Cheyenne?
5. What is the proposal that Chief Little Wolf presents to President Grant and why?
6. How does May describe the Cheyenne children?
7. Where does Chief Little Wolf go after the night of whiskey, and how does he return?
8. Who will May be living with in her new life with the tribe?
9. What does Captain Bourke feel is the only way to civilize the Indians?
10. After encountering Jules Seminole, how does May feel about Chief Little Wolf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What differences are there in the interpretation of moral behavior between the white man's culture, as exemplified by the white women, and the Indians? Use comments made in the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Now that you know Chief Little Wolf, why do you think he wanted to invite white women to intermarry and bear Indian children as a way of bring the cultures closer together? For instance, he could have suggested an exchange of students and other young people to simply learn about each other. Instead, he chose the most powerful of relationships as a means of bind the cultures. What do you think of his decision? Would another approach have been better?
Essay Topic 3
Leadership is certainly a strong theme throughout One Thousand White Women. What kind of a leader was Chief Little Wolf? What, if any, qualities of a good or strong leader did he exemplify? Was his personality common among the Indians, or was he an exceptional man?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)