|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does May describe the military guard accompanying them on their journey?
2. What does May do when she is told about the Black Hills gold?
3. According to tribal custom, because Marie Blanche's husband is dead and she is pregnant, what happens to her?
4. What are some of the smells involved with living with the Indians that make an impression on May?
5. How does May describe Reverend Hare?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Phemie feel about the Cheyenne moving to the Agency?
2. How does May feel about the beginning of her trip?
3. How does December 25th pass for the women?
4. What unusual reaction does Daisy have while living with the Cheyenne?
5. Who is Jimmy?
6. How do the white women originally learn to communicate with the Cheyenne?
7. What is the proposal that Chief Little Wolf presents to President Grant and why?
8. After encountering Jules Seminole, how does May feel about Chief Little Wolf?
9. How does May describe the wedding ceremony?
10. What happens to the women on one of these morning outings?
Essay Topic 1
What differences are there in the interpretation of moral behavior between the white man's culture, as exemplified by the white women, and the Indians? Use comments made in the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Which character broke through the gender boundaries the most? Use specific examples in the text to support your selection.
Essay Topic 3
Please describe how the Kelly sisters, Margaret and Susan, are portrayed throughout the text. Do they change at all? If so, how? If not, why not? What are their main motivations for their actions with the tribe?
This section contains 1,560 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)