|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens very soon after the Cheyenne arrive at the winter camp?
(a) Unseasonably hot weather.
(b) Driving rain.
(c) Light snows.
(d) A blizzard.
2. What tribal tradition do Gretchen and May challenge?
(a) The use of the sweat-lodge.
(b) Marrying more than one man.
(c) Eating in the men's tent.
(d) Performing religious ceremonies.
3. What is one thing that upsets Little Wolf about moving to the Agency?
(a) The white women will rule the tribe.
(b) He has to step down as Chief.
(c) The tribe will have to serve the white people.
(d) He has to give up two of his wives.
4. What does May tell Martha about the night of the abduction?
(a) She had resigned herself to joining the Crow tribe.
(b) She recognized some of the Crow.
(c) She had a message from Chief Little Wolf that he was coming to save them.
(d) She, too, was afraid, but tried to protect her unborn child.
5. What happens to the band of Crow Indians that kidnapped the women?
(a) They are beaten and forced to leave the area.
(b) The are taken back to their tribe with marks of humiliation.
(c) They are killed in retaliation for the harm they caused.
(d) They are abandoned in the middle of nowhere.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who replaces the Reverend Hare?
2. What happens when May and Captain Bourke meet again alone?
3. One of May's arguments in support of moving to the Agency includes the belief that the mixed race children will help the Indians assimilate. What is Phemie's response?
4. After the kidnapping ordeal, how are the women treated by the tribe?
5. Who does May reunite with at the winter camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who accompanies the women back from the fort to the Cheyenne camp?
2. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about taking the tribe to the Agency?
3. What happens to Chief Little Wolf and some members of the tribe that makes him reconsider who their enemy really is?
4. What terrible thing happens that make the women believe the Cheyenne are truly savages?
5. What does May try to do each morning, and who often joins her?
6. As a result of the Crow incident, how does Quiet One's attitude toward May change and why?
7. What items are denied the Cheyenne during the attempts to trade at the fort?
8. How does the ordeal with the Crow Indians end for the women?
9. How does December 25th pass for the women?
10. What does Chief Little Wolf do to let the white man know he intends to comply with their demands that the tribe move to the Agency?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)