|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Captain Bourke's first reaction to May the first time he recognizes her?
(a) He is threatening and cruel.
(b) He shows horror and revulsion.
(c) He displays joy and delight.
(d) He shows curiosity and interest.
2. How do the Cheyenne feel about May's child?
(a) She is evil.
(b) She and May should be sent to the fort.
(c) They condemn May and the child.
(d) She is sacred.
3. What happens very soon after the Cheyenne arrive at the winter camp?
(a) Driving rain.
(b) Light snows.
(c) Unseasonably hot weather.
(d) A blizzard.
4. What happens that causes some distress among the women, especially Martha?
(a) Because game is scarce, the tribe is forced to separate.
(b) The women are forced to leave their families.
(c) The women must leave to have their babies.
(d) The women are asked to travel alone.
5. Which other woman frequently joins May at the beginning of her favorite time of day?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Sioux Indians come to ask of the Cheyenne tribe?
2. What is one of the results of the Kit Foxes attack on the Shoshone?
3. What are some of the Cheyenne joining the Sioux to do?
4. What do the soldiers put in the fire?
5. Who replaces the Reverend Hare?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does May try to do each morning, and who often joins her?
2. What does May tell Chief Little Wolf he will have to do in order to comply with the law of the white man?
3. What terrible thing happens that make the women believe the Cheyenne are truly savages?
4. How are the women seen when they enter the fort with the Cheyenne after living almost six months with the Cheyenne?
5. What does Chief Little Wolf do to let the white man know he intends to comply with their demands that the tribe move to the Agency?
6. As a result of the Crow incident, how does Quiet One's attitude toward May change and why?
7. How does the ordeal with the Crow Indians end for the women?
8. How does December 25th pass for the women?
9. What is unusual about Wren?
10. Who accompanies the women back from the fort to the Cheyenne camp?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)