|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One day, some of the white women who were gathered together away from the tribe were kidnapped and raped. Which of the women died?
2. What does May tell Martha about the night of the abduction?
(a) She, too, was afraid, but tried to protect her unborn child.
(b) She had a message from Chief Little Wolf that he was coming to save them.
(c) She recognized some of the Crow.
(d) She had resigned herself to joining the Crow tribe.
3. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about the Red Cloud Agency?
(a) It is a farming community, and his people are hunters.
(b) His people will be forced to adopt white men's ways.
(c) It is a place filled with disease and death.
(d) That supplies are scarce and that the Indians suffer.
4. What does Reverend Hare do to incur the wrath of members of the tribe?
(a) He propositions one of the married women.
(b) He tries to molest one of the young boys.
(c) He steals food when there is little.
(d) He steals horses and sells them to other Indian tribes for his profit.
5. What happens when May and Captain Bourke meet again alone?
(a) They discover they don't like each other any more.
(b) They decide to run away together.
(c) They confess their love for each other.
(d) They realize they were never meant for each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does May describe the sanitation at the camp?
2. What does the tribal seer see for the future of the tribe?
3. Which of the women is the first to learn the Cheyenne language, and why is it so unusual?
4. Where does May have her baby?
5. How does May feel about moving to the Agency?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does May tell Chief Little Wolf he will have to do in order to comply with the law of the white man?
2. What does May try to do each morning, and who often joins her?
3. How does Phemie handle her life in the tribe?
4. What does Anthony decide to do as the tribe prepares to move to the Agency?
5. During the cold weather, the men spend time in their sweat lodge which is off limits to women. What do the women decide to do for themselves?
6. What do the Indians do on the return trip from the fort that May believes will cause trouble?
7. As a result of the Crow incident, how does Quiet One's attitude toward May change and why?
8. What does Chief Little Wolf do to let the white man know he intends to comply with their demands that the tribe move to the Agency?
9. How does the nomadic life of the Cheyenne tribe end?
10. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about taking the tribe to the Agency?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)