|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the women seen by the people of the fort?
(a) As loathsome creatures to be avoided.
(b) As brave women on a special mission.
(c) As similar to the prostitutes who hang around the fort Indians.
(d) As unusual women and not well understood.
2. One of May's arguments in support of moving to the Agency includes the belief that the mixed race children will help the Indians assimilate. What is Phemie's response?
(a) People often suffer more for being of mixed race.
(b) They will abuse their power.
(c) It is a possibility.
(d) The white people will bribe them.
3. What happens when Bourke does not shock Chief Little Wolf in the "game?"
(b) He becomes the commander of the fort.
(c) He loses face with his men.
(d) He goes to live with the Indians.
4. What happens to the band of Crow Indians that kidnapped the women?
(a) They are killed in retaliation for the harm they caused.
(b) The are taken back to their tribe with marks of humiliation.
(c) They are beaten and forced to leave the area.
(d) They are abandoned in the middle of nowhere.
5. What items are no longer available for trade to the Indians?
(b) Farm implements.
(d) Gunpowder and ammunition.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the soldiers put in the fire?
2. How does May feel about visiting the fort after spending months with the Cheyenne?
3. Which other woman frequently joins May at the beginning of her favorite time of day?
4. How has the relationship of the white women who joined the Brides for Indians program evolved during the time they have spent with the Cheyenne?
5. What does Helen do that the Indian women consider scandalous?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does May describe Anthony?
2. What terrible thing happens that make the women believe the Cheyenne are truly savages?
3. What happens to Chief Little Wolf and some members of the tribe that makes him reconsider who their enemy really is?
4. What is unusual about Wren?
5. What happens to Reverend Hare that changes his standing in the tribe?
6. How are the women seen when they enter the fort with the Cheyenne after living almost six months with the Cheyenne?
7. What does Woman Who Moves Against the Wind, the tribal holy woman, see for the Cheyenne future?
8. What does May try to do each morning, and who often joins her?
9. What items are denied the Cheyenne during the attempts to trade at the fort?
10. How does Phemie handle her life in the tribe?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)