|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Cheyenne women explain the act of capturing the Shoshone infant's hands to May?
(a) A childish act that must be ignored.
(b) An act of no importance.
(c) The act of a demented few.
(d) An act that protects the Cheyenne babies.
2. What does Chief Little Wolf decide to ban from camp because it causes harm?
(d) White man's goods.
3. Why does May feel the need to be close to Chief Little Wolf after the kidnapping ordeal?
(a) She is afraid and needs the comfort of his being close.
(b) She is afraid he will now divorce her because she was raped.
(c) She is sure she is now his favorite wife.
(d) She is afraid to be in the tent with other members of her family.
4. What news does Gertie bring to May when she visits her at the camp?
(a) The army is coming to kill the Cheyenne.
(b) The deadline to go to the Agency has been extended.
(c) Captain Bourke has arranged for the Cheyenne to escape to the West.
(d) The army is coming to enforce the order to go to the Agency.
5. What does Helen do that the Indian women consider scandalous?
(a) Eats only her food.
(c) Makes money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Army attack the Cheyenne camp?
2. What happens to the band of Crow Indians that kidnapped the women?
3. What do the soldiers put in the fire?
4. How do the men react when Gretchen's husband challenges her?
5. Which other woman frequently joins May at the beginning of her favorite time of day?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a result of the Crow incident, how does Quiet One's attitude toward May change and why?
2. What happens to Chief Little Wolf and some members of the tribe that makes him reconsider who their enemy really is?
3. What happens to Reverend Hare that changes his standing in the tribe?
4. How are the women seen when they enter the fort with the Cheyenne after living almost six months with the Cheyenne?
5. What terrible thing happens that make the women believe the Cheyenne are truly savages?
6. Who accompanies the women back from the fort to the Cheyenne camp?
7. How does December 25th pass for the women?
8. What is unusual about Wren?
9. How does Phemie feel about the Cheyenne moving to the Agency?
10. How does Phemie handle her life in the tribe?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)