|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do May and Captain Bourke do in his tent, according to the entry of April 22nd?
(a) They confess their strong feelings for each other.
(b) They read Shakespeare. Nothing more. Nothing less.
(c) The talk about the Brides for Indians program.
(d) They talk about the rest of the travel plans.
2. For the last part of their journey to the Indians, what do the women ride in?
(a) A very uncomfortable cart.
(b) On horseback.
(c) In a train car.
(d) A somewhat uncomfortable covered wagon.
3. What does May try to discourage the Indians from doing during a special council meeting?
(a) Arranging fights to the death to determine the superior warriors.
(b) Sending a raiding party off to capture more white women.
(c) Going to war on an enemy tribe.
(d) Raiding the nearest fort and surrounding farms for supplies.
4. How were the women treated when they first entered the Indian camp?
(a) They were punished for not being native Indians.
(b) They were brought before the Chief and made to bow before him.
(c) They were greeted by the entire tribe and their families.
(d) They were generally ignored by everyone.
5. What event captures the attention of Helen Flight on the train trip?
(a) A bird flies into the train, and she is able to capture it.
(b) She gets off the train and is able to get close to some birds.
(c) The soldiers shoot some of the birds in the area to eat.
(d) A very large group of cranes take off from the surface of the river, creating a massive wave of birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does the blacksmith's family that houses Phemie tell about the Cheyenne?
2. What does May observe about the women who came to the tribe with her?
3. What does May believe happened during the wedding ceremony?
4. On the night she was taken to the asylum, what happened to Mary's babies?
5. What amusing incident occurs while the women are being chosen by their Indian husbands-to-be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the women first greeted by the Cheyenne?
2. What do Helen and May have in common?
3. What happens on May's "honeymoon" with the Chief?
4. What is discovered in the Black Hills that will change everything for the Cheyenne?
5. What does May learn about the fort Indians and the Indians living with their tribes?
6. Who is Lydia Bradley?
7. What happens at the shooting tournament?
8. What is unusual about Phemie's place in the tribe?
9. What is the proposal that Chief Little Wolf presents to President Grant and why?
10. How does May describe the wedding ceremony?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)