|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jules Seminole tell May is the reason Chief Little Wolf will never kill him?
(a) He will be leaving soon.
(b) It is forbidden to kill a member of the tribe.
(c) As a member of the tribe, he is able to do anything he wants.
(d) Chief Little Wolf is afraid of him and can not kill him.
2. The women are depressed, but Phemie brings some cheer by doing what?
(a) She prepares a good home cooked meal.
(b) She asks the soldiers to buy them something to eat.
(c) She sings the Negro spiritual, "This Train."
(d) She leads the women in a prayer.
3. What is Narcissa White's reaction to the destructive events the night the Indians drink the whiskey?
(a) She believes that God has forsaken her and all of the women.
(b) She sets up a prayer meeting.
(c) She condemns the women for being sinners.
(d) She tries to escape the camp and return to the fort.
4. What amusing incident occurs while the women are being chosen by their Indian husbands-to-be?
(a) Daisy's dog bites the Indian who treated him roughly.
(b) Some of the women run away.
(c) The horses being traded for the women escape.
(d) Helen runs after a new bird and trips into a pool of water.
5. What message does Gertie bring from the fort?
(a) Gold has been found in the Black Hills.
(b) The women have been abandoned by the government.
(c) The Cheyenne are about to be attacked by enemy tribes.
(d) The women have been recalled back to Washington, D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does May feel about the countryside they are traveling through to meet the Indians?
2. What does Helen Flight tell Lydia Bradley about the feathers in her new hat?
3. What things were an important part of the wedding ceremony?
4. What does May do in the first morning with the Indian tribe that amuses the Indians?
5. What is the one diversion the women are able to enjoy at Fort Laramie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is discovered in the Black Hills that will change everything for the Cheyenne?
2. What is unusual about Phemie's place in the tribe?
3. How do May and Captain Bourke feel about each other the first time they meet?
4. What do Helen and May have in common?
5. How does May feel about the beginning of her trip?
6. Where is May at the beginning of the story, and why is she there?
7. What does Captain Bourke feel is the only way to civilize the Indians?
8. Who is Lydia Bradley?
9. How does May describe the camps that are set up each day during their travels?
10. What happens at the shooting tournament?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)