|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For the last part of their journey to the Indians, what do the women ride in?
(a) In a train car.
(b) On horseback.
(c) A very uncomfortable cart.
(d) A somewhat uncomfortable covered wagon.
2. Who is Jimmy?
(a) The young man who is going to trade with the Indians.
(b) A rough lad who knows a lot about the country's topography.
(c) The young man who supplies the food.
(d) The young man who will help bring back the horses.
3. During the final part of the trip to meet the Cheyenne, what does Captain Bourke tell the women about the Indians?
(a) Only by trading with the Indians can they be civilized.
(b) The Indians must be subdued by a superior military force before they can be civilized.
(c) The Indian civilization must be completely destroyed.
(d) The Brides for Indians program may be able to save the Indians.
4. What two things does May stop doing because of the cruel way she is treated while staying with the family of Lieutenant James?
(a) She stops writing in her journal and stops taking walks.
(b) She refuses to eat and stops taking walks.
(c) She stops writing in her journal and stops paying any attention to the soldier's requests.
(d) She refuses to eat and stops writing in her journal.
5. What things were an important part of the wedding ceremony?
(a) Music, singing, and dancing.
(b) Food and instruction on how to prepare this special food.
(c) Instructions on how to be good Indian wives.
(d) Instructions on properly serving their new husbands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the President's Indian Peace Plan?
2. What is the one diversion the women are able to enjoy at Fort Laramie?
3. How does May feel about the countryside they are traveling through to meet the Indians?
4. What is Captain Bourke disturbed to learn about what the women don't know?
5. What does May learn about Jimmy during the last days of the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the proposal that Chief Little Wolf presents to President Grant and why?
2. How does May describe the wedding ceremony?
3. How does Captain Bourke feel about their mission and the attempt to civilize the Indians?
4. Where does Chief Little Wolf go after the night of whiskey, and how does he return?
5. What is unusual about Phemie's place in the tribe?
6. How does May feel about her attraction to Captain Bourke?
7. What does Captain Bourke feel is the only way to civilize the Indians?
8. Who are some of the people that May meets in those first few days of travel after leaving the asylum?
9. After encountering Jules Seminole, how does May feel about Chief Little Wolf?
10. Who is Martha, and how does she help May?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)