|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gretchen tell her husband after he wagers her for whiskey with Jules Seminole?
(a) She can make him rich if he will be good to her.
(b) To not come back to her tent.
(c) She is going to kill him.
(d) That she wants the whiskey to sell.
2. During her "honeymoon," what does May learn to do?
(a) Identify safe things to eat.
(b) Butcher, skin, and dress an animal.
(c) Shoot game.
(d) Build a stand to use to hunt.
3. Why was Mary initially willing to participate in the Brides for Indians program?
(a) To get away from her parents.
(b) To make money.
(c) To go to the West.
(d) To escape the asylum.
4. During the dinner conversation, Lydia Bradley tries to turn the conversation to what subject?
(a) The ladies' sewing circle.
(b) Her new dress and the latest New York fashion.
(c) The need for more gardens at the fort.
(d) Her new hat and the latest New York fashion.
5. What were May Dodd's feelings while she rode the train on her way to become one of the Brides for Indians?
(a) She reflects warmly about the feeling of safety she had at the asylum.
(b) She is considering how she can escape and find her way to the West to search for gold.
(c) She is happy to be free of the asylum and misses her own two children.
(d) She is excited about going to marry an Indian as part of the program Brides for Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May observe about the roles of men and women in the tribe?
2. How does May describe Reverend Hare?
3. What is unusual about Stares at Sun, the old Indian who wins the target contest?
4. What is the one diversion the women are able to enjoy at Fort Laramie?
5. What does May try to discourage the Indians from doing during a special council meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does May feel about the beginning of her trip?
2. How does May feel about the Indian's relationship with nature and their lives in the camp?
3. What happens at the shooting tournament?
4. What is unusual about Phemie's place in the tribe?
5. How does Captain Bourke feel about their mission and the attempt to civilize the Indians?
6. What does Captain Bourke feel is the only way to civilize the Indians?
7. Who will May be living with in her new life with the tribe?
8. What do Helen and May have in common?
9. Who are some of the people that May meets in those first few days of travel after leaving the asylum?
10. How does May describe the wedding ceremony?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)