|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of Indians were the fort Indians, according to Abigail James?
(a) "They are business owners who were successful at the forts."
(b) "Industrious and interested in learning white man's ways."
(c) "Drunken, degenerate savages."
(d) "They exploited their culture by selling trinkets to white people."
2. As the women approach the Indian tribe, what do they learn about the Indians?
(a) Their families have been told the truth about their mission.
(b) The Cheyenne Indian tribe will be coming to meet them.
(c) The Indians are having second thoughts about the program.
(d) There is unrest between the Indian tribes and between the Indians and white people.
3. How does May describe herself during a conversation at the dinner table about religion?
(a) An Anglican.
(b) A Protestant.
(c) A bit of an agnostic.
(d) A Catholic.
4. Who is Daisy Lovelace?
(a) A woman who sells clothing and wants to study Indian fashion.
(b) A woman who gives the appearance of ruined gentry.
(c) A lovely, elegant woman who volunteers to escape poverty.
(d) A woman trying to escape from a brutal husband.
5. During the final part of the trip to meet the Cheyenne, what does Captain Bourke tell the women about the Indians?
(a) Only by trading with the Indians can they be civilized.
(b) The Indian civilization must be completely destroyed.
(c) The Brides for Indians program may be able to save the Indians.
(d) The Indians must be subdued by a superior military force before they can be civilized.
Short Answer Questions
1. The women try to keep in touch but are often too tired to do so. When May finally sees Phemie again, what does Phemie tell her?
2. How does May describe Reverend Hare?
3. How does May describe the cowboys she sees?
4. What is Captain Bourke concerned about when he is alone with May in his tent?
5. What happens to Whistling Elk, Ada Ware's husband, who shoots and kills Runs From Crow, Marie Blanche's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does May feel about the Indian's relationship with nature and their lives in the camp?
2. What happens on May's "honeymoon" with the Chief?
3. How does May feel about the beginning of her trip?
4. How does May describe the wedding ceremony?
5. Who is Jimmy?
6. How does May describe the Cheyenne children?
7. What does Captain Bourke feel is the only way to civilize the Indians?
8. Where is May at the beginning of the story, and why is she there?
9. What does the reader learn about the Cheyenne belief about a Cheyenne killing a Cheyenne? How does this affect May's distress about Jules Seminole?
10. How are the women first greeted by the Cheyenne?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)