|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the women feel about staying with Phemie?
(a) They like to room with Phemie because she gets the best treatment.
(b) They don't have any particular feeling about it.
(c) Many refuse to room with Phemie because she is a Negro.
(d) Many refuse to room with Phemie because the Negro families are cruel to the white women.
2. On the night she was taken to the asylum, what happened to Mary's babies?
(a) She and her babies were taken far away and left alone to fend for themselves.
(b) They were taken from her.
(c) They were given to Harry Ames to take away.
(d) They took her babies to her parent's home, where they pleaded with her to come and live with them.
3. Why is Helen Flight interested in birds?
(a) She studies bird anatomy and physiology.
(b) She designs hats and uses their feathers.
(c) She collects recipes for cooking birds.
(d) She is a naturalist.
4. The women are depressed, but Phemie brings some cheer by doing what?
(a) She prepares a good home cooked meal.
(b) She asks the soldiers to buy them something to eat.
(c) She sings the Negro spiritual, "This Train."
(d) She leads the women in a prayer.
5. What was one of the things done to prepare the women for the wedding?
(a) They applied makeup so they were all beautiful.
(b) Their faces were painted so they were unrecognizable.
(c) They were dressed in traditional, white, wedding dresses.
(d) They were dressed in outfits which represented their tipis.
Short Answer Questions
1. The women try to keep in touch but are often too tired to do so. When May finally sees Phemie again, what does Phemie tell her?
2. What were May Dodd's feelings while she rode the train on her way to become one of the Brides for Indians?
3. What does Jules Seminole tell May is the reason Chief Little Wolf will never kill him?
4. What does May say about her children in her letter to Harry?
5. What does May believe after her honeymoon with Chief Little Wolf?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does May feel about the beginning of her trip?
2. Who will May be living with in her new life with the tribe?
3. What happens on May's "honeymoon" with the Chief?
4. How does the first journal end under the direction of Phemie?
5. How does May feel about her attraction to Captain Bourke?
6. How does May describe the Cheyenne children?
7. Who is Jimmy?
8. What is the proposal that Chief Little Wolf presents to President Grant and why?
9. What does the reader learn about the Cheyenne belief about a Cheyenne killing a Cheyenne? How does this affect May's distress about Jules Seminole?
10. What is one of the things that May and Captain Bourke share?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)