|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Two days after May meets Captain Bourke, where does he invite her to do?
(a) Have an after dinner drink.
(b) Take a stroll.
(c) Look around the fort.
(d) Take a look at the horses.
2. After the wild events at the council meeting, how does May feel about the position of the women in the tribe?
(a) That they are strangers.
(b) That they are guests.
(c) That they are captives.
(d) That they are family.
3. How do the women first meet some of the members of the Cheyenne tribe?
(a) They are engaged in a battle with the Sioux.
(b) They come to bring gifts to the women.
(c) They come to inspect the women.
(d) The Indians ride through the women's camp in a parade.
4. What is Captain Bourke's comment about May Dodd's suggestion that the woman might be able to bring an appreciation for white civilization to the savages?
(a) The woman have a good chance of civilizing the Indians.
(b) The mission of the women is doomed to failure.
(c) The women should go home.
(d) It is impossible for Indians to understand the white man's culture.
5. What does May try to discourage the Indians from doing during a special council meeting?
(a) Arranging fights to the death to determine the superior warriors.
(b) Going to war on an enemy tribe.
(c) Raiding the nearest fort and surrounding farms for supplies.
(d) Sending a raiding party off to capture more white women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Daisy Lovelace?
2. Who is Sara Johnstone?
3. What does Gretchen tell her husband after he wagers her for whiskey with Jules Seminole?
4. How does May feel about the countryside they are traveling through to meet the Indians?
5. How does Reverend Hare's performance on the night of the wild party affect the way the Indians feel about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does May describe the camps that are set up each day during their travels?
2. How does May feel about her attraction to Captain Bourke?
3. What is the proposal that Chief Little Wolf presents to President Grant and why?
4. What is one of the things that May and Captain Bourke share?
5. How does the first journal end under the direction of Phemie?
6. After encountering Jules Seminole, how does May feel about Chief Little Wolf?
7. Who are some of the people that May meets in those first few days of travel after leaving the asylum?
8. What does Captain Bourke feel is the only way to civilize the Indians?
9. Who is Jimmy?
10. How does May describe the Cheyenne children?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)