|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. May and Captain Bourke find they both share an interest in what subject?
(c) The Bible.
2. During her "honeymoon," what does May learn to do?
(a) Butcher, skin, and dress an animal.
(b) Shoot game.
(c) Build a stand to use to hunt.
(d) Identify safe things to eat.
3. What is unusual about Stares at Sun, the old Indian who wins the target contest?
(a) He is crippled.
(b) He is elderly.
(c) He is female.
(d) He is blind.
4. According to May's diary, what does Narcissa White considers herself to be?
(a) A Christian who should spend her time praying.
(b) A beautiful woman who should have the best husband.
(c) An official representative of the American Church Missionary Society.
(d) A powerful, spiritual force who believes her children will civilize the tribe.
5. What event captures the attention of Helen Flight on the train trip?
(a) A very large group of cranes take off from the surface of the river, creating a massive wave of birds.
(b) She gets off the train and is able to get close to some birds.
(c) The soldiers shoot some of the birds in the area to eat.
(d) A bird flies into the train, and she is able to capture it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May observe about the roles of men and women in the tribe?
2. What does May believe happened during the wedding ceremony?
3. How were the women treated when they first entered the Indian camp?
4. What is unusual about the hat that Lydia wears to wave goodbye to the party led by Captain Bourke?
5. What happens when Jules Seminole calls Gretchen German?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do May and Captain Bourke feel about each other the first time they meet?
2. How does May feel about Chief Little Wolf after he speaks out against Jules in the tribal council?
3. What is one of the things that May and Captain Bourke share?
4. How does May describe the wedding ceremony?
5. How does May feel about the beginning of her trip?
6. How do the people the women encounter on their journey feel about their mission?
7. What happens at the shooting tournament?
8. What does the reader learn about the Cheyenne belief about a Cheyenne killing a Cheyenne? How does this affect May's distress about Jules Seminole?
9. How does May describe the Cheyenne children?
10. What does Captain Bourke feel is the only way to civilize the Indians?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)