Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Martha decide to join the Brides for Indians program?
(a) To make money.
(b) To go to the West.
(c) She is afraid to be punished for helping May.
(d) To marry an Indian.
2. What does May believe happened during the wedding ceremony?
(a) Some of the women were forced to leave.
(b) The ceremony was a secret affair.
(c) She was drugged as part of the ceremony.
(d) The men exchanged wives.
3. The women are depressed, but Phemie brings some cheer by doing what?
(a) She leads the women in a prayer.
(b) She prepares a good home cooked meal.
(c) She asks the soldiers to buy them something to eat.
(d) She sings the Negro spiritual, "This Train."
4. Who are the Kelly sisters, Margaret and Susan?
(a) Twins serving ten years in the Illinois State Penitentiary.
(b) Two women looking for adventure in the West.
(c) Women sold into the program by their husbands.
(d) Innocent women serving ten years in the Illinois State Penitentiary.
5. What happens to Jules Seminole because he brought the whiskey to the tribe?
(a) He is sent to the fort for imprisonment.
(b) He is banished for one year.
(c) He is sent to live with another Indian tribe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May try to discourage the Indians from doing during a special council meeting?
2. What does May observe about the women who came to the tribe with her?
3. How does Reverend Hare's performance on the night of the wild party affect the way the Indians feel about him?
4. During the final part of the trip to meet the Cheyenne, what does Captain Bourke tell the women about the Indians?
5. Why is May sent to the asylum?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Phemie handle her life in the tribe?
2. How does the ordeal with the Crow Indians end for the women?
3. How are the women first greeted by the Cheyenne?
4. How does May describe the Cheyenne children?
5. What terrible thing happens that make the women believe the Cheyenne are truly savages?
6. What happens when the Indians drink whiskey?
7. What does May learn about the fort Indians and the Indians living with their tribes?
8. After encountering Jules Seminole, how does May feel about Chief Little Wolf?
9. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about taking the tribe to the Agency?
10. Who accompanies the women back from the fort to the Cheyenne camp?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)