|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does May believe after her honeymoon with Chief Little Wolf?
(a) That the Chief will be her window to the tribe.
(b) She has found the one, true love of her life.
(c) That the women need to get together to compare notes.
(d) That the whole mission is doomed to failure.
2. What happens to Whistling Elk, Ada Ware's husband, who shoots and kills Runs From Crow, Marie Blanche's husband?
(a) He is exiled and must live on the outskirts of the camp.
(b) He is sent to the fort for a trial.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He is banished forever and not allowed near the community.
3. After the Indians inspect the woman, what is May certain of?
(a) She has made a terrible decision to come to this place.
(b) She has been chosen by the apparent chief of the tribe.
(c) The Indians will not return because they are not happy.
(d) The Indians will go off and fight over the women.
4. What is Captain Bourke disturbed to learn about what the women don't know?
(a) They were not given information about the life they would face.
(b) They had no way of ending their agreement.
(c) That they would not be able to return to the fort for their safety.
(d) That they could be abandoned if they were not selected.
5. Why was Mary initially willing to participate in the Brides for Indians program?
(a) To go to the West.
(b) To escape the asylum.
(c) To make money.
(d) To get away from her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to tribal custom, because Marie Blanche's husband is dead and she is pregnant, what happens to her?
2. The women try to keep in touch but are often too tired to do so. When May finally sees Phemie again, what does Phemie tell her?
3. During the dinner conversation, Lydia Bradley tries to turn the conversation to what subject?
4. Who is the Kelly twins' ace-in-the-hole in their gambling enterprise?
5. During the final part of the trip to meet the Cheyenne, what does Captain Bourke tell the women about the Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about the Cheyenne belief about a Cheyenne killing a Cheyenne? How does this affect May's distress about Jules Seminole?
2. How do May and Captain Bourke feel about each other the first time they meet?
3. How does May feel about the Indian's relationship with nature and their lives in the camp?
4. Who is Jimmy?
5. What is unusual about Phemie's place in the tribe?
6. How does May feel about the beginning of her trip?
7. How does May describe the Cheyenne children?
8. What do Helen and May have in common?
9. Who will May be living with in her new life with the tribe?
10. How does May feel about Chief Little Wolf after he speaks out against Jules in the tribal council?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)