|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Whistling Elk, Ada Ware's husband, who shoots and kills Runs From Crow, Marie Blanche's husband?
(a) He is sent to the fort for a trial.
(b) He is banished forever and not allowed near the community.
(c) He is exiled and must live on the outskirts of the camp.
(d) He is killed.
2. What does May try to discourage the Indians from doing during a special council meeting?
(a) Raiding the nearest fort and surrounding farms for supplies.
(b) Sending a raiding party off to capture more white women.
(c) Going to war on an enemy tribe.
(d) Arranging fights to the death to determine the superior warriors.
3. What does May see is so damaging to the Indians?
(c) War games.
4. When the Cheyenne come to inspect the white women, what does May realize that Captain Bourke understands?
(a) He is in love with her and wants her to stay with him.
(b) He is relieved that he is about to deliver the women.
(c) The Chief has selected May for his own.
(d) He knows she will be safe and cared for.
5. Sitting in the tipi at the end of her arrival day in camp, what does May realize?
(a) Perhaps the insane asylum was not as bad as she thought.
(b) She is looking forward to the adventure.
(c) She has always been foolish and impetuous.
(d) This is a tremendous opportunity even though it is frightening.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of the things done to prepare the women for the wedding?
2. What information does the blacksmith's family that houses Phemie tell about the Cheyenne?
3. What does May observe about the tribe's children?
4. What does May learn about Jimmy during the last days of the trip?
5. For the last part of their journey to the Indians, what do the women ride in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lydia Bradley?
2. What is unique about Phemie?
3. What is the proposal that Chief Little Wolf presents to President Grant and why?
4. How do the white women originally learn to communicate with the Cheyenne?
5. How are the women first greeted by the Cheyenne?
6. How does May describe the camps that are set up each day during their travels?
7. What happens on May's "honeymoon" with the Chief?
8. How do the people the women encounter on their journey feel about their mission?
9. What do Helen and May have in common?
10. How does May feel about the beginning of her trip?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)