|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Cheyenne come to inspect the white women, what does May realize that Captain Bourke understands?
(a) He is in love with her and wants her to stay with him.
(b) He knows she will be safe and cared for.
(c) He is relieved that he is about to deliver the women.
(d) The Chief has selected May for his own.
2. How does May describe Reverend Hare?
(a) A scholarly man studying the Indian culture.
(b) A doddering old fool whom no one pays any attention to.
(c) A kindly man respected by all.
(d) A lazy man who takes advantage of his position.
3. What does Gretchen tell her husband after he wagers her for whiskey with Jules Seminole?
(a) She can make him rich if he will be good to her.
(b) To not come back to her tent.
(c) That she wants the whiskey to sell.
(d) She is going to kill him.
4. What does Jimmy come to May's tent to ask?
(a) If she will help him with the horses.
(b) He wants her to ride with him for the rest of the trip.
(c) He fears for her safety.
(d) To go to Captain Bourke's tent.
5. Whose tent do May, Martha, and the other women run to when the Indians run amok?
(a) Reverend Hare.
(b) Gretchen Fathauer.
(c) Chief Little Wolf.
(d) Jules Seminole.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the women prepare to leave with the Indians, who joins them?
2. What was one of the things done to prepare the women for the wedding?
3. Why is May sent to the asylum?
4. What does May do in the first morning with the Indian tribe that amuses the Indians?
5. What does May do when she is told about the Black Hills gold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on May's "honeymoon" with the Chief?
2. What is unique about Phemie?
3. What does the reader learn about the Cheyenne belief about a Cheyenne killing a Cheyenne? How does this affect May's distress about Jules Seminole?
4. Who is Martha, and how does she help May?
5. How does May describe the Cheyenne children?
6. What happens when the Indians drink whiskey?
7. How does May describe the camps that are set up each day during their travels?
8. How are the women first greeted by the Cheyenne?
9. Who are some of the people that May meets in those first few days of travel after leaving the asylum?
10. How does May feel about the Indian's relationship with nature and their lives in the camp?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)