|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Gretchen Fathauer described?
(a) The very picture of the blond, Swiss lass with pigtails.
(b) A large, Swiss woman with a heart of gold.
(c) A poor, shy woman.
(d) A beautiful German woman.
2. After the Indians inspect the woman, what is May certain of?
(a) She has made a terrible decision to come to this place.
(b) She has been chosen by the apparent chief of the tribe.
(c) The Indians will go off and fight over the women.
(d) The Indians will not return because they are not happy.
3. What does Captain Bourke say to May the evening before leaving the women with the Cheyenne?
(a) He insists that she return to her family immediately.
(b) He forbids her to go with the Indians.
(c) He feels she should go to one of the other tribes.
(d) He insists that she return to the fort every month.
4. Why does Martha decide to join the Brides for Indians program?
(a) To make money.
(b) She is afraid to be punished for helping May.
(c) To go to the West.
(d) To marry an Indian.
5. Who is Jimmy?
(a) The young man who supplies the food.
(b) The young man who will help bring back the horses.
(c) The young man who is going to trade with the Indians.
(d) A rough lad who knows a lot about the country's topography.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is May sent to the asylum?
2. What are some of the smells involved with living with the Indians that make an impression on May?
3. During the dinner conversation, Lydia Bradley tries to turn the conversation to what subject?
4. What does May observe about Indian social structure?
5. How does Captain Bourke behave during the trip to the Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. After encountering Jules Seminole, how does May feel about Chief Little Wolf?
2. How does the first journal end under the direction of Phemie?
3. What is unique about Phemie?
4. Who will May be living with in her new life with the tribe?
5. What does Captain Bourke feel is the only way to civilize the Indians?
6. Who is Jimmy?
7. How are the women first greeted by the Cheyenne?
8. How does Captain Bourke feel about their mission and the attempt to civilize the Indians?
9. Where does Chief Little Wolf go after the night of whiskey, and how does he return?
10. What happens when the Indians drink whiskey?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)