|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does May try to discourage the Indians from doing during a special council meeting?
(a) Going to war on an enemy tribe.
(b) Sending a raiding party off to capture more white women.
(c) Raiding the nearest fort and surrounding farms for supplies.
(d) Arranging fights to the death to determine the superior warriors.
2. What does May tell Harry in a letter?
(a) She knows he sold her out to her father for money and a job.
(b) She will never know if he cooperated with her father or loves her.
(c) She is glad to be rid of him because she knows he cheated on her.
(d) She knows he is probably dead.
3. How does May describe herself during a conversation at the dinner table about religion?
(a) A Catholic.
(b) A bit of an agnostic.
(c) A Protestant.
(d) An Anglican.
4. When Narcissa fails at converting the tribe, what does she try to do?
(a) Train some to be teachers so they can spread civilization.
(b) Teach some to learn to trade to bring wealth to the Indians.
(c) Train some to become good servants for white people.
(d) Teach some to knit and crochet so they can earn a living.
5. What is unusual about Stares at Sun, the old Indian who wins the target contest?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He is crippled.
(c) He is female.
(d) He is elderly.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the night she was taken to the asylum, what happened to Mary's babies?
2. What event occurs that makes May feel that men are foolish, loutish creatures?
3. What are some of the smells involved with living with the Indians that make an impression on May?
4. What does Captain Bourke say to May the evening before leaving the women with the Cheyenne?
5. What happens to Jules Seminole because he brought the whiskey to the tribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does May try to do each morning, and who often joins her?
2. What happens to the women on one of these morning outings?
3. How does Captain Bourke feel about their mission and the attempt to civilize the Indians?
4. After encountering Jules Seminole, how does May feel about Chief Little Wolf?
5. How do May and Captain Bourke feel about each other the first time they meet?
6. How does Chief Little Wolf respond to the Sioux request that the Cheyenne join them as they go to war against the white man?
7. What is unusual about Wren?
8. What terrible thing happens that make the women believe the Cheyenne are truly savages?
9. What is the proposal that Chief Little Wolf presents to President Grant and why?
10. How are the women first greeted by the Cheyenne?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)