|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does May describe the cowboys she sees?
(a) Dingy, dirty, and very smelly.
(b) As colorful and festive as the books she has seen.
(c) Stupid, and obviously only capable of spending time with cows.
(d) Vulgar and difficult to get along with.
2. How does May describe her first few days with the tribe?
(a) Boring and tedious with nothing to do.
(b) Spent under guard in her tent.
(c) Spent learning sign language.
(d) Full of hard, physical labor and no privacy.
3. According to May's diary, what does Narcissa White considers herself to be?
(a) A Christian who should spend her time praying.
(b) A beautiful woman who should have the best husband.
(c) A powerful, spiritual force who believes her children will civilize the tribe.
(d) An official representative of the American Church Missionary Society.
4. What are some of the smells involved with living with the Indians that make an impression on May?
(a) Indescribable odors of bedding, people, and smoke.
(b) Clean smells of the laundry.
(c) Wonderful smells of cooking.
(d) Smells of the horses that live so close to the people.
5. According to tribal custom, because Marie Blanche's husband is dead and she is pregnant, what happens to her?
(a) She is married to the Chief.
(b) She is banished from the tribe.
(c) She is sent back to the fort.
(d) One Bear, Runs From Crow's younger brother, offers to marry her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message does Gertie bring from the fort?
2. How were the women treated when they first entered the Indian camp?
3. What happens to the women who try to escape from the camp?
4. How is Gretchen Fathauer described?
5. Why was Mary initially willing to participate in the Brides for Indians program?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does May describe the wedding ceremony?
2. What is the proposal that Chief Little Wolf presents to President Grant and why?
3. How does May feel about Harry?
4. How does May feel about the Indian's relationship with nature and their lives in the camp?
5. What is unusual about Phemie's place in the tribe?
6. What do Helen and May have in common?
7. What happens at the shooting tournament?
8. How do the white women originally learn to communicate with the Cheyenne?
9. How do the people the women encounter on their journey feel about their mission?
10. Who will May be living with in her new life with the tribe?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)