|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were May Dodd's feelings while she rode the train on her way to become one of the Brides for Indians?
(a) She is happy to be free of the asylum and misses her own two children.
(b) She reflects warmly about the feeling of safety she had at the asylum.
(c) She is considering how she can escape and find her way to the West to search for gold.
(d) She is excited about going to marry an Indian as part of the program Brides for Indians.
2. What are some of the smells involved with living with the Indians that make an impression on May?
(a) Clean smells of the laundry.
(b) Wonderful smells of cooking.
(c) Smells of the horses that live so close to the people.
(d) Indescribable odors of bedding, people, and smoke.
3. How does May describe the Indian's hunting?
(a) Dangerous and necessary to the survival of the tribe.
(b) Necessary but not particularly challenging.
(c) Haphazard and avoided by most.
(d) Frivolous and done for sport.
4. Two days after May meets Captain Bourke, where does he invite her to do?
(a) Have an after dinner drink.
(b) Look around the fort.
(c) Take a look at the horses.
(d) Take a stroll.
5. Why is Helen pleased the last part of the trip as they approach Cheyenne territory?
(a) She can shoot birds and collect their feathers.
(b) She can shoot the birds that she draws.
(c) She can shoot birds she uses to make special medicines.
(d) She can shoot birds for a sumptuous dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May tell Harry in a letter?
2. What does May do in the first morning with the Indian tribe that amuses the Indians?
3. Who is Lydia Bradley?
4. How does May describe some farmers in the field?
5. After the Indians inspect the woman, what is May certain of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does May feel about Chief Little Wolf after he speaks out against Jules in the tribal council?
2. What does the reader learn about the Cheyenne belief about a Cheyenne killing a Cheyenne? How does this affect May's distress about Jules Seminole?
3. Where does Chief Little Wolf go after the night of whiskey, and how does he return?
4. After encountering Jules Seminole, how does May feel about Chief Little Wolf?
5. How does May feel about the beginning of her trip?
6. What is one of the things that May and Captain Bourke share?
7. How do the white women originally learn to communicate with the Cheyenne?
8. What does May learn about the fort Indians and the Indians living with their tribes?
9. How are the women first greeted by the Cheyenne?
10. What is discovered in the Black Hills that will change everything for the Cheyenne?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)