|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Captain Bourke's comment about May Dodd's suggestion that the woman might be able to bring an appreciation for white civilization to the savages?
(a) The mission of the women is doomed to failure.
(b) The woman have a good chance of civilizing the Indians.
(c) The women should go home.
(d) It is impossible for Indians to understand the white man's culture.
2. What information does the blacksmith's family that houses Phemie tell about the Cheyenne?
(a) They are considered the most handsome and cleanest of the Indian tribes, and their women most virtuous.
(b) They are well organized, but not particularly clean.
(c) They are very rigid and that women are not treated well.
(d) They are known for being excellent thieves when they visit the forts.
3. What does May observe about the women who came to the tribe with her?
(a) They have maintained vestiges of their previous lives.
(b) They are unhappy with the tribe and let them know it.
(c) They are counting the days until they can leave.
(d) They look very much like natives.
4. What amusing incident occurs while the women are being chosen by their Indian husbands-to-be?
(a) Some of the women run away.
(b) The horses being traded for the women escape.
(c) Helen runs after a new bird and trips into a pool of water.
(d) Daisy's dog bites the Indian who treated him roughly.
5. What is the President's Indian Peace Plan?
(a) It involves coming to a peaceful agreement with the Indian leaders.
(b) It will teach Indians to live like white people.
(c) It involves sending the Cheyenne children to church-affiliated boarding schools.
(d) It will send Indian representatives to live among white people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May believe after her honeymoon with Chief Little Wolf?
2. How does May describe the camp that is set up at the end of each day of travel?
3. When the Cheyenne come to inspect the white women, what does May realize that Captain Bourke understands?
4. What does May try to discourage the Indians from doing during a special council meeting?
5. Who are the Kelly sisters, Margaret and Susan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does May feel about Chief Little Wolf after he speaks out against Jules in the tribal council?
2. Who is Lydia Bradley?
3. How does May describe the camps that are set up each day during their travels?
4. Who is Martha, and how does she help May?
5. What happens when the Indians drink whiskey?
6. What happens on May's "honeymoon" with the Chief?
7. What does Captain Bourke feel is the only way to civilize the Indians?
8. After encountering Jules Seminole, how does May feel about Chief Little Wolf?
9. What do Helen and May have in common?
10. Who are some of the people that May meets in those first few days of travel after leaving the asylum?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)