|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For the last part of their journey to the Indians, what do the women ride in?
(a) A somewhat uncomfortable covered wagon.
(b) On horseback.
(c) In a train car.
(d) A very uncomfortable cart.
2. What do the women learn as they get near the Indians?
(a) Enemy Sioux Indians want to kill the women.
(b) A month earlier, Lt. Levi Robinson was murdered by Sioux.
(c) Several people on previous trips have gotten lost in the wild, unexplored territory.
(d) Enemy Sioux Indians want to kidnap the woman.
3. What does May observe about the roles of men and women in the tribe?
(a) Women are seen as the spiritual leaders of the tribe.
(b) Women's views are treated with respect.
(c) Women are worshipped because of their ability to have children.
(d) Women will never reach the status of equality found in the white man's world.
4. What does Gretchen tell her husband after he wagers her for whiskey with Jules Seminole?
(a) That she wants the whiskey to sell.
(b) She can make him rich if he will be good to her.
(c) She is going to kill him.
(d) To not come back to her tent.
5. What does May do when she is told about the Black Hills gold?
(a) She tells the women so they can return to the fort.
(b) She tells the Cheyenne so they can start mining the gold.
(c) She tells the women so they can mine the gold for protection in the future.
(d) She keeps the information to herself for the time being.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lydia Bradley?
2. As the women prepare to leave with the Indians, who joins them?
3. What does Jules Seminole tell May is the reason Chief Little Wolf will never kill him?
4. What do May and Captain Bourke do in his tent, according to the entry of April 22nd?
5. During her "honeymoon," what does May learn to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Chief Little Wolf go after the night of whiskey, and how does he return?
2. How do the white women originally learn to communicate with the Cheyenne?
3. How does May describe the camps that are set up each day during their travels?
4. What is discovered in the Black Hills that will change everything for the Cheyenne?
5. What is one of the things that May and Captain Bourke share?
6. Who is Martha, and how does she help May?
7. What happens on May's "honeymoon" with the Chief?
8. How do May and Captain Bourke feel about each other the first time they meet?
9. How does Captain Bourke feel about their mission and the attempt to civilize the Indians?
10. Who is Lydia Bradley?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)