|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does Phemie's victory in the races have on the women?
(a) They decide to demand qual treatment.
(b) They are united in their pleasure that a woman won.
(c) It has no effect at all.
(d) They are frightened about how the men will react.
2. What happens to the women who try to escape from the camp?
(a) They are able to meet up with a passing wagon train.
(b) They are caught by members of the Cheyenne.
(c) They are able to make their way back to the fort.
(d) They are found dead due to exposure and starvation.
3. How does May describe the camp that is set up at the end of each day of travel?
(a) Ordered and exactly like the camp the day before.
(b) Casual so that it is as easy as possible on everyone.
(c) Haphazard because they are not terribly organized in their travel.
(d) Very small and compact for safety.
4. How does May describe the cowboys she sees?
(a) Stupid, and obviously only capable of spending time with cows.
(b) Dingy, dirty, and very smelly.
(c) As colorful and festive as the books she has seen.
(d) Vulgar and difficult to get along with.
5. Who is Sara Johnstone?
(a) A cheerful, verbose young women.
(b) A young woman who also lived at the asylum, but who never speaks.
(c) A cleaning woman at the asylum.
(d) A woman who wants to learn about Indians firsthand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May observe about the roles of men and women in the tribe?
2. What happens when Jules Seminole calls Gretchen German?
3. As the women approach the Indian tribe, what do they learn about the Indians?
4. What does Jules Seminole tell May is the reason Chief Little Wolf will never kill him?
5. Why is May sent to the asylum?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chief Little Wolf respond to the Sioux request that the Cheyenne join them as they go to war against the white man?
2. How does May feel about the Indian's relationship with nature and their lives in the camp?
3. What do the Indians do on the return trip from the fort that May believes will cause trouble?
4. How does Phemie feel about the Cheyenne moving to the Agency?
5. What terrible thing happens that make the women believe the Cheyenne are truly savages?
6. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about taking the tribe to the Agency?
7. What does Woman Who Moves Against the Wind, the tribal holy woman, see for the Cheyenne future?
8. After encountering Jules Seminole, how does May feel about Chief Little Wolf?
9. How does the ordeal with the Crow Indians end for the women?
10. How does May feel about Harry?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)