|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do May and Captain Bourke do in his tent, according to the entry of April 22nd?
(a) They read Shakespeare. Nothing more. Nothing less.
(b) The talk about the Brides for Indians program.
(c) They confess their strong feelings for each other.
(d) They talk about the rest of the travel plans.
2. Who are the Kelly sisters, Margaret and Susan?
(a) Women sold into the program by their husbands.
(b) Innocent women serving ten years in the Illinois State Penitentiary.
(c) Two women looking for adventure in the West.
(d) Twins serving ten years in the Illinois State Penitentiary.
3. When Narcissa fails at converting the tribe, what does she try to do?
(a) Train some to be teachers so they can spread civilization.
(b) Teach some to learn to trade to bring wealth to the Indians.
(c) Train some to become good servants for white people.
(d) Teach some to knit and crochet so they can earn a living.
4. What is Reverend Hare doing in all the commotion?
(a) He has already left the camp.
(b) Ready to help the women restore order.
(c) Ready to help the women escape the camp.
(d) Cowering in a corner, afraid of what is happening.
5. What does May do when she is told about the Black Hills gold?
(a) She tells the women so they can return to the fort.
(b) She tells the women so they can mine the gold for protection in the future.
(c) She tells the Cheyenne so they can start mining the gold.
(d) She keeps the information to herself for the time being.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to May's diary, what does Narcissa White considers herself to be?
2. What kind of Indians were the fort Indians, according to Abigail James?
3. What does May observe about the women who came to the tribe with her?
4. What is Narcissa White's reaction to the destructive events the night the Indians drink the whiskey?
5. What does May see is so damaging to the Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Martha, and how does she help May?
2. What terrible thing happens that make the women believe the Cheyenne are truly savages?
3. What happens at the shooting tournament?
4. How does Phemie handle her life in the tribe?
5. What unusual reaction does Daisy have while living with the Cheyenne?
6. What items are denied the Cheyenne during the attempts to trade at the fort?
7. What happens to May's journals?
8. During the cold weather, the men spend time in their sweat lodge which is off limits to women. What do the women decide to do for themselves?
9. How do the white women originally learn to communicate with the Cheyenne?
10. How does May describe the wedding ceremony?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)