|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What items are no longer available for trade to the Indians?
(a) Gunpowder and ammunition.
(b) Farm implements.
2. How do the men react when Gretchen's husband challenges her?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) The chastise him.
(c) They call him a henpecked husband.
(d) They cheer him.
3. What happens that causes some distress among the women, especially Martha?
(a) The women are asked to travel alone.
(b) The women are forced to leave their families.
(c) The women must leave to have their babies.
(d) Because game is scarce, the tribe is forced to separate.
4. What does Reverend Hare do to incur the wrath of members of the tribe?
(a) He propositions one of the married women.
(b) He steals horses and sells them to other Indian tribes for his profit.
(c) He steals food when there is little.
(d) He tries to molest one of the young boys.
5. What does the visitor bring to Anthony?
(a) Documentation of the injustice.
(b) Pictures of the Cheyenne.
(c) May's journals.
(d) The oral history of the Cheyenne.
6. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about May's child?
(a) He is upset.
(b) He condemns the child.
(c) He considers the child his daughter.
(d) He sends her and May to the Fort.
7. How do the Cheyenne women explain the act of capturing the Shoshone infant's hands to May?
(a) An act that protects the Cheyenne babies.
(b) An act of no importance.
(c) The act of a demented few.
(d) A childish act that must be ignored.
8. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about the Red Cloud Agency?
(a) It is a place filled with disease and death.
(b) It is a farming community, and his people are hunters.
(c) His people will be forced to adopt white men's ways.
(d) That supplies are scarce and that the Indians suffer.
9. What does Anthony decide to do when the Cheyenne go to the Agency?
(a) Go West.
(b) Go with the tribe to the Agency.
(c) Go back to his home.
(d) Stay in the area and build his hermitage.
10. Who replaces the Reverend Hare?
(a) A Jewish Rabbi.
(b) A Catholic Priest.
(c) Another Reverend.
(d) Anthony, a Benedictine monk.
11. Why does May believe the Indians have not easily convert to Christianity?
(a) They are sworn atheists.
(b) The don't like white people.
(c) They have their own religion which satisfies them.
(d) They don't speak English well enough to understand.
12. What news does Gertie bring to May when she visits her at the camp?
(a) Captain Bourke has arranged for the Cheyenne to escape to the West.
(b) The army is coming to enforce the order to go to the Agency.
(c) The deadline to go to the Agency has been extended.
(d) The army is coming to kill the Cheyenne.
13. What does Chief Little Wolf do that May warns will cause trouble?
(a) Steals some of the settler's food.
(b) Threatens the settlers.
(c) Damages the settler's fields.
(d) Kills some of the settler's cattle.
14. What does May tell Martha about the night of the abduction?
(a) She, too, was afraid, but tried to protect her unborn child.
(b) She recognized some of the Crow.
(c) She had a message from Chief Little Wolf that he was coming to save them.
(d) She had resigned herself to joining the Crow tribe.
15. What do the soldiers put in the fire?
(b) The dead.
(d) The tipis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when May and Captain Bourke meet again alone?
2. What does Chief Little Wolf finally decide to do in response to the Army's demand that they go to the Agency?
3. What was the major issue regarding Sara's burial?
4. What does Narcissis do at the fort?
5. Whose child does May have?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)