|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the Cheyenne enter the fort, how are the women greeted by the inhabitants of the fort?
(a) With disdain and contempt.
(b) With violence and threats.
(c) With respect and admiration.
(d) With curiosity and questions.
2. What does Chief Little Wolf do that May warns will cause trouble?
(a) Kills some of the settler's cattle.
(b) Steals some of the settler's food.
(c) Damages the settler's fields.
(d) Threatens the settlers.
3. How does Anthony react to the presentation of the Shoshone infant's hands?
(a) With great anger condemning the Cheyenne to Hell.
(b) Without emotion.
(c) He is realistic and understands why the Cheyenne did it.
(d) He believes the women must help bring the Cheyenne to Christianity.
4. What do the Sioux Indians come to ask of the Cheyenne tribe?
(a) To arrange to trade horses for white women.
(b) To join the trading party.
(c) To buy guns and ammunition for them.
(d) To fight the whites to protect their possession of the Black Hills that was promised to them forever.
5. How does May feel about visiting the fort after spending months with the Cheyenne?
(a) She should demand to stay there until her baby is born.
(b) A bit anxious about encountering white civilization again.
(c) It is time to refuse to return to the Cheyenne.
(d) It is a wasted trip that should not be made.
6. Why does the Army attack the Cheyenne camp?
(a) Because they could do anything they wanted to do.
(b) Because Jules Seminole told the Army it was a Sioux camp.
(c) Because they did not care if the Cheyenne were ready to cooperate.
(d) Because they want to steal all the horses.
7. What are some of the Cheyenne joining the Sioux to do?
(a) Prepare to fight for the Black Hills.
(b) Attack the Red Cloud Agency.
(c) Raid the settlers in the Black Hills.
(d) Attack the fort.
8. What does Chief Little Wolf finally decide to do in response to the Army's demand that they go to the Agency?
(b) Join with other Indian tribes and fight.
(c) Travel to the Agency as soon as practical.
(d) Go to the West.
9. What does the tribal seer see for the future of the tribe?
10. What items are no longer available for trade to the Indians?
(c) Gunpowder and ammunition.
(d) Farm implements.
11. How do the Cheyenne women explain the act of capturing the Shoshone infant's hands to May?
(a) A childish act that must be ignored.
(b) The act of a demented few.
(c) An act of no importance.
(d) An act that protects the Cheyenne babies.
12. What is the result of Reverend Hare's indiscretion?
(a) He loses all credibility with the tribe.
(b) He is banished from the tribe.
(c) He is abandoned in the wilderness.
(d) He is taken back to the fort and left there.
13. What is one of the results of the Kit Foxes attack on the Shoshone?
(a) They bring the Shoshone Chief as a captive.
(b) They present a bag containing the right hands of 12 Shoshone babies.
(c) They bring proof of the destruction of the Shoshone warriors.
(d) They present the scalp of the Shoshone Chief.
14. How does May feel about moving to the Agency?
(a) It will be a good move.
(b) It will destroy the tribe.
(c) The tribe will become wealthy traders.
(d) It is inevitable.
15. What happens very soon after the Cheyenne arrive at the winter camp?
(a) Unseasonably hot weather.
(b) A blizzard.
(c) Driving rain.
(d) Light snows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the visitor bring to Anthony?
2. Where does May have her baby?
3. One of May's arguments in support of moving to the Agency includes the belief that the mixed race children will help the Indians assimilate. What is Phemie's response?
4. How do the men react when Gretchen's husband challenges her?
5. One day, some of the white women who were gathered together away from the tribe were kidnapped and raped. Which of the women died?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)