|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What items are no longer available for trade to the Indians?
(b) Gunpowder and ammunition.
(d) Farm implements.
2. Who comes to see Anthony 50 years after the Army attacked the Cheyenne?
(a) Harold Wild Plums, son of Wren, grandson of May.
(b) Reverend Hare.
(c) Captain Bourke.
(d) Jasmine Wild Flower, Martha's granddaughter.
3. What do some of the Cheyenne families decide to do after considering the white man's orders to go to the Agency?
(a) Hide out in the Black Hills.
(b) Leave the tribe for the West.
(c) Go to the Agency.
(d) Return to the fort.
4. What does Chief Little Wolf decide to ban from camp because it causes harm?
(d) White man's goods.
5. Which of the women is the first to learn the Cheyenne language, and why is it so unusual?
(a) Ada, because she is so melancholy.
(b) Narcissa, because she is so adamant that she is a captive.
(c) Sara, because she never spoke English.
(d) Phemie, because she is a warrior.
6. What does General Crook want the Cheyenne to do?
(a) Travel south and leave the area.
(b) Leave the area and move West.
(c) Go to the Red Cloud Agency.
(d) Disband and move to different areas of the country.
7. What is May's response to the Kit Foxes attack on the Shoshone?
(a) She gets angry.
(b) Her feelings are deeply hurt.
(c) She sees the Cheyenne as savages.
(d) She sees the Cheyenne as weak.
8. How do the Cheyenne women explain the act of capturing the Shoshone infant's hands to May?
(a) The act of a demented few.
(b) A childish act that must be ignored.
(c) An act that protects the Cheyenne babies.
(d) An act of no importance.
9. What happens to May?
(a) She is rescued.
(b) She gets shot.
(c) She escapes the camp and runs away.
(d) She is beaten
10. What news does Gertie bring to May when she visits her at the camp?
(a) Captain Bourke has arranged for the Cheyenne to escape to the West.
(b) The army is coming to enforce the order to go to the Agency.
(c) The deadline to go to the Agency has been extended.
(d) The army is coming to kill the Cheyenne.
11. Why does Phemie refuse to go the the Agency?
(a) She wants to go West.
(b) She doesn't like the land there.
(c) She refuses to be a slave again.
(d) She wants to return to Canada.
12. What happens to the band of Crow Indians that kidnapped the women?
(a) They are abandoned in the middle of nowhere.
(b) They are killed in retaliation for the harm they caused.
(c) The are taken back to their tribe with marks of humiliation.
(d) They are beaten and forced to leave the area.
13. What do the soldiers put in the fire?
(b) The dead.
(c) The tipis.
14. Who is Pretty Walker?
(a) A young woman who takes care of the horses.
(b) A young woman who takes care of the children.
(c) Chief Little Wolf's daughter.
(d) A girl who leads the children.
15. How does Anthony react to the presentation of the Shoshone infant's hands?
(a) Without emotion.
(b) With great anger condemning the Cheyenne to Hell.
(c) He is realistic and understands why the Cheyenne did it.
(d) He believes the women must help bring the Cheyenne to Christianity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Woman Who Moves Against the Wind?
2. What happens when May and Captain Bourke meet again alone?
3. How is the weather as the Indians leave the fort?
4. Why is Quiet One kind to May after the kidnapping ordeal?
5. How does May describe the sanitation at the camp?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)