|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the agent of the Red Cloud agency think May is?
(a) An angel of mercy.
(b) A prostitute serving the Indians.
(c) A good, Christian woman.
(d) A nurse.
2. How do the twins, whose husbands participated in the raid on the Shoshone, react to the bag of Shoshone infant's hands?
(a) They did not care.
(b) They are most inconsolable of all.
(c) They were proud.
(d) They were glad their babies had been protected.
3. How does May react to the seer's predictions about the tribes future?
(a) She refuses to accept the prediction of a bad future.
(b) She, too, sees a future of plenty.
(c) She, too, looks forward to a peaceful future.
(d) She pays no attention.
4. Which other woman frequently joins May at the beginning of her favorite time of day?
5. What do some of the Cheyenne families decide to do after considering the white man's orders to go to the Agency?
(a) Leave the tribe for the West.
(b) Hide out in the Black Hills.
(c) Return to the fort.
(d) Go to the Agency.
6. Why does May believe the Indians have not easily convert to Christianity?
(a) The don't like white people.
(b) They don't speak English well enough to understand.
(c) They have their own religion which satisfies them.
(d) They are sworn atheists.
7. Why is Quiet One kind to May after the kidnapping ordeal?
(a) Because May saved her daughter, Pretty Walker, from being raped.
(b) Because they are now equal in the eyes of Chief Little Wolf.
(c) Because May is now Chief Little Wolf's favorite wife.
(d) Because May relies on her to feel safe.
8. What happens very soon after the Cheyenne arrive at the winter camp?
(a) Driving rain.
(b) Unseasonably hot weather.
(c) Light snows.
(d) A blizzard.
9. As the Cheyenne enter the fort, how are the women greeted by the inhabitants of the fort?
(a) With violence and threats.
(b) With curiosity and questions.
(c) With disdain and contempt.
(d) With respect and admiration.
10. One of May's arguments in support of moving to the Agency includes the belief that the mixed race children will help the Indians assimilate. What is Phemie's response?
(a) The white people will bribe them.
(b) People often suffer more for being of mixed race.
(c) They will abuse their power.
(d) It is a possibility.
11. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about the Red Cloud Agency?
(a) It is a farming community, and his people are hunters.
(b) It is a place filled with disease and death.
(c) His people will be forced to adopt white men's ways.
(d) That supplies are scarce and that the Indians suffer.
12. What does the visitor bring to Anthony?
(a) May's journals.
(b) Documentation of the injustice.
(c) Pictures of the Cheyenne.
(d) The oral history of the Cheyenne.
13. What happens when everyone finds out Gertie is a woman?
(a) She is forced to live with the Indians.
(b) She marries one of the other muleskinners.
(c) She is exiled.
(d) She still works as a muleskinner.
14. How are the women seen by the people of the fort?
(a) As similar to the prostitutes who hang around the fort Indians.
(b) As brave women on a special mission.
(c) As unusual women and not well understood.
(d) As loathsome creatures to be avoided.
15. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about May's child?
(a) He considers the child his daughter.
(b) He sends her and May to the Fort.
(c) He is upset.
(d) He condemns the child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of Reverend Hare's indiscretion?
2. After the kidnapping ordeal, how are the women treated by the tribe?
3. Why does Phemie refuse to go the the Agency?
4. What does May believe Narcissa is planning as they near the fort?
5. What do the Sioux Indians come to ask of the Cheyenne tribe?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)