|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens that causes some distress among the women, especially Martha?
(a) Because game is scarce, the tribe is forced to separate.
(b) The women must leave to have their babies.
(c) The women are forced to leave their families.
(d) The women are asked to travel alone.
2. What happens to May?
(a) She is beaten
(b) She is rescued.
(c) She gets shot.
(d) She escapes the camp and runs away.
3. How does Martha feel about Christmas?
(a) She spends time with Anthony.
(b) She puts up a tree and gives everyone presents.
(c) It makes her homesick.
(d) She isn't interested in that anymore.
4. What happens to John Bourke after the Army attack?
(a) He becomes a general in the Army.
(b) He quietly retires and lives alone.
(c) He loses his mind.
(d) He becomes an advocate of Indian's rights.
5. What happens to May during a bad storm?
(a) She sneaks out of the camp.
(b) She is punished for trying to get into the sweat-lodge.
(c) She gets very sick.
(d) She gets lost in the camp and has to be rescued.
6. How do all of the women feel about the new babies?
(a) They are thrilled with them.
(b) They have no particular feelings.
(c) They see them as half-breeds.
(d) They see them as intruders.
7. Where does May have her baby?
(a) At the fort.
(b) In the birthing lodge.
(c) At the agency.
(d) In her tent.
8. Why does the Army attack the Cheyenne camp?
(a) Because they could do anything they wanted to do.
(b) Because they did not care if the Cheyenne were ready to cooperate.
(c) Because Jules Seminole told the Army it was a Sioux camp.
(d) Because they want to steal all the horses.
9. How does Anthony react to the presentation of the Shoshone infant's hands?
(a) He believes the women must help bring the Cheyenne to Christianity.
(b) Without emotion.
(c) He is realistic and understands why the Cheyenne did it.
(d) With great anger condemning the Cheyenne to Hell.
10. Whose child does May have?
(a) Chief Little Wolf.
(b) Reverend Hare.
(c) John Bourke.
(d) Harry Ames.
11. What does May try to convince Chief Little Wolf to do because she believes it is in the best interests of the Cheyenne?
(a) Go to the Agency.
(b) Convert to Christianity.
(c) Let his other wives go.
(d) Stay near the fort for the winter.
12. What does Reverend Hare do to incur the wrath of members of the tribe?
(a) He propositions one of the married women.
(b) He steals horses and sells them to other Indian tribes for his profit.
(c) He tries to molest one of the young boys.
(d) He steals food when there is little.
13. What does May believe Narcissa is planning as they near the fort?
(a) To demand the Cheyenne be forced to convert to Christianity.
(b) To take the best horses to help her escape.
(c) To refuse to continue living with the Cheyenne.
(d) To demand that the soldiers punish the Cheyenne.
14. What is one of the results of the Kit Foxes attack on the Shoshone?
(a) They bring the Shoshone Chief as a captive.
(b) They present the scalp of the Shoshone Chief.
(c) They present a bag containing the right hands of 12 Shoshone babies.
(d) They bring proof of the destruction of the Shoshone warriors.
15. What does May learn from Gertie about the Captain?
(a) He intended to ask May to marry him.
(b) He had Gertie follow the tribe during the summer.
(c) He is preparing to wage war against the Cheyenne.
(d) He wants all of the women to abandon the mission.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anthony's plans include for the spring?
2. What is the result of Reverend Hare's indiscretion?
3. What does the agent of the Red Cloud agency think May is?
4. Who is Woman Who Moves Against the Wind?
5. What items are no longer available for trade to the Indians?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)