|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does May ask Little Wolf to do in order to let the Army personnel know they intend to comply?
(a) Go immediately to the Agency.
(b) Fly a white flag in the camp.
(c) Pretend to agree to go to the Agency.
(d) Host a feast and invite people from the fort.
2. What is one of the results of the Kit Foxes attack on the Shoshone?
(a) They present the scalp of the Shoshone Chief.
(b) They bring the Shoshone Chief as a captive.
(c) They present a bag containing the right hands of 12 Shoshone babies.
(d) They bring proof of the destruction of the Shoshone warriors.
3. What does the tribal seer see for the future of the tribe?
4. What is May's response to the Kit Foxes attack on the Shoshone?
(a) She sees the Cheyenne as savages.
(b) She sees the Cheyenne as weak.
(c) She gets angry.
(d) Her feelings are deeply hurt.
5. After the kidnapping ordeal, how are the women treated by the tribe?
(a) As if nothing happened.
(b) Cruelly and coldly because they have been humiliated.
(c) As if they now have strong medicine because of their ordeal.
(d) Generously and lovingly and welcomed back to their homes.
6. One day, some of the white women who were gathered together away from the tribe were kidnapped and raped. Which of the women died?
7. What is the result of Reverend Hare's indiscretion?
(a) He is taken back to the fort and left there.
(b) He loses all credibility with the tribe.
(c) He is banished from the tribe.
(d) He is abandoned in the wilderness.
8. What is Captain Bourke's first reaction to May the first time he recognizes her?
(a) He shows curiosity and interest.
(b) He is threatening and cruel.
(c) He displays joy and delight.
(d) He shows horror and revulsion.
9. What does May try to convince Chief Little Wolf to do because she believes it is in the best interests of the Cheyenne?
(a) Go to the Agency.
(b) Stay near the fort for the winter.
(c) Let his other wives go.
(d) Convert to Christianity.
10. What does Anthony decide to do when the Cheyenne go to the Agency?
(a) Go with the tribe to the Agency.
(b) Go West.
(c) Go back to his home.
(d) Stay in the area and build his hermitage.
11. What happens when Bourke does not shock Chief Little Wolf in the "game?"
(a) He loses face with his men.
(b) He goes to live with the Indians.
(c) He becomes the commander of the fort.
12. What does May believe Narcissa is planning as they near the fort?
(a) To demand the Cheyenne be forced to convert to Christianity.
(b) To demand that the soldiers punish the Cheyenne.
(c) To take the best horses to help her escape.
(d) To refuse to continue living with the Cheyenne.
13. What happens when everyone finds out Gertie is a woman?
(a) She is exiled.
(b) She is forced to live with the Indians.
(c) She still works as a muleskinner.
(d) She marries one of the other muleskinners.
14. What happens to May?
(a) She is beaten
(b) She escapes the camp and runs away.
(c) She gets shot.
(d) She is rescued.
15. Who does May reunite with at the winter camp?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to May during a bad storm?
2. What does Chief Little Wolf finally decide to do in response to the Army's demand that they go to the Agency?
3. Who is Pretty Walker?
4. Why does May feel the need to be close to Chief Little Wolf after the kidnapping ordeal?
5. What does the agent of the Red Cloud agency think May is?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)