|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "Seano?"
(a) It is the place all Cheyenne go when they die.
(b) It is the netherword where Cheyenne souls go to wait to enter heaven.
(c) It is the place that evil Cheyenne go.
(d) It is the place where only the good Cheyenne go.
2. Where does May have her baby?
(a) In her tent.
(b) At the agency.
(c) At the fort.
(d) In the birthing lodge.
3. What does Reverend Hare do to incur the wrath of members of the tribe?
(a) He tries to molest one of the young boys.
(b) He steals horses and sells them to other Indian tribes for his profit.
(c) He steals food when there is little.
(d) He propositions one of the married women.
4. What do the soldiers put in the fire?
(c) The tipis.
(d) The dead.
5. Why does Phemie refuse to go the the Agency?
(a) She doesn't like the land there.
(b) She refuses to be a slave again.
(c) She wants to return to Canada.
(d) She wants to go West.
6. What do some of the Cheyenne families decide to do after considering the white man's orders to go to the Agency?
(a) Go to the Agency.
(b) Leave the tribe for the West.
(c) Return to the fort.
(d) Hide out in the Black Hills.
7. Which other woman frequently joins May at the beginning of her favorite time of day?
8. Why does May believe the Indians have not easily convert to Christianity?
(a) They are sworn atheists.
(b) They don't speak English well enough to understand.
(c) They have their own religion which satisfies them.
(d) The don't like white people.
9. How is the weather as the Indians leave the fort?
(a) Raining and gloomy.
(b) Cool and pleasant.
(d) Snowing and cold.
10. Why does May feel the need to be close to Chief Little Wolf after the kidnapping ordeal?
(a) She is sure she is now his favorite wife.
(b) She is afraid he will now divorce her because she was raped.
(c) She is afraid and needs the comfort of his being close.
(d) She is afraid to be in the tent with other members of her family.
11. Why does the Army attack the Cheyenne camp?
(a) Because they could do anything they wanted to do.
(b) Because Jules Seminole told the Army it was a Sioux camp.
(c) Because they did not care if the Cheyenne were ready to cooperate.
(d) Because they want to steal all the horses.
12. How do the twins, whose husbands participated in the raid on the Shoshone, react to the bag of Shoshone infant's hands?
(a) They did not care.
(b) They were glad their babies had been protected.
(c) They are most inconsolable of all.
(d) They were proud.
13. What does May try to convince Chief Little Wolf to do because she believes it is in the best interests of the Cheyenne?
(a) Let his other wives go.
(b) Go to the Agency.
(c) Stay near the fort for the winter.
(d) Convert to Christianity.
14. How do all of the women feel about the new babies?
(a) They are thrilled with them.
(b) They see them as half-breeds.
(c) They see them as intruders.
(d) They have no particular feelings.
15. What is the result of Reverend Hare's indiscretion?
(a) He is abandoned in the wilderness.
(b) He loses all credibility with the tribe.
(c) He is banished from the tribe.
(d) He is taken back to the fort and left there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are some of the Cheyenne joining the Sioux to do?
2. What does May find repugnant about the religious practices of the Cheyenne?
3. What does the agent of the Red Cloud agency think May is?
4. What does Helen do that the Indian women consider scandalous?
5. What does May tell Martha about the night of the abduction?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)