|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Pretty Walker?
(a) A young woman who takes care of the children.
(b) Chief Little Wolf's daughter.
(c) A young woman who takes care of the horses.
(d) A girl who leads the children.
2. Who does May reunite with at the winter camp?
3. What does Narcissis do at the fort?
(a) Aborts her baby.
(b) Runs away.
(c) Reveals she is a spy.
(d) Gives her baby up for adoption.
4. How does May feel about moving to the Agency?
(a) The tribe will become wealthy traders.
(b) It is inevitable.
(c) It will destroy the tribe.
(d) It will be a good move.
5. How does Anthony react to the presentation of the Shoshone infant's hands?
(a) Without emotion.
(b) He is realistic and understands why the Cheyenne did it.
(c) With great anger condemning the Cheyenne to Hell.
(d) He believes the women must help bring the Cheyenne to Christianity.
6. How do the twins, whose husbands participated in the raid on the Shoshone, react to the bag of Shoshone infant's hands?
(a) They are most inconsolable of all.
(b) They did not care.
(c) They were proud.
(d) They were glad their babies had been protected.
7. What does May observe about Anthony's sharing of his Christian faith?
(a) He is full of fire and brimstone.
(b) He threatens hell as punishment for their sins.
(c) He simply does nothing.
(d) He preaches gently.
8. What does Anthony decide to do when the Cheyenne go to the Agency?
(a) Go back to his home.
(b) Go West.
(c) Stay in the area and build his hermitage.
(d) Go with the tribe to the Agency.
9. What happens to May during a bad storm?
(a) She gets lost in the camp and has to be rescued.
(b) She is punished for trying to get into the sweat-lodge.
(c) She sneaks out of the camp.
(d) She gets very sick.
10. What is one of the results of the Kit Foxes attack on the Shoshone?
(a) They present the scalp of the Shoshone Chief.
(b) They bring the Shoshone Chief as a captive.
(c) They present a bag containing the right hands of 12 Shoshone babies.
(d) They bring proof of the destruction of the Shoshone warriors.
11. Which of the women is the first to learn the Cheyenne language, and why is it so unusual?
(a) Phemie, because she is a warrior.
(b) Narcissa, because she is so adamant that she is a captive.
(c) Ada, because she is so melancholy.
(d) Sara, because she never spoke English.
12. What happens when everyone finds out Gertie is a woman?
(a) She is exiled.
(b) She still works as a muleskinner.
(c) She is forced to live with the Indians.
(d) She marries one of the other muleskinners.
13. What happens to the band of Crow Indians that kidnapped the women?
(a) The are taken back to their tribe with marks of humiliation.
(b) They are killed in retaliation for the harm they caused.
(c) They are beaten and forced to leave the area.
(d) They are abandoned in the middle of nowhere.
14. What happens to May?
(a) She escapes the camp and runs away.
(b) She is beaten
(c) She is rescued.
(d) She gets shot.
15. What does the visitor bring to Anthony?
(a) Documentation of the injustice.
(b) The oral history of the Cheyenne.
(c) May's journals.
(d) Pictures of the Cheyenne.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is May's favorite time of day?
2. What does the agent of the Red Cloud agency think May is?
3. What do the Sioux Indians come to ask of the Cheyenne tribe?
4. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about the Red Cloud Agency?
5. What happens to John Bourke after the Army attack?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)