|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Martha feel about Christmas?
(a) She puts up a tree and gives everyone presents.
(b) She isn't interested in that anymore.
(c) She spends time with Anthony.
(d) It makes her homesick.
2. What does Reverend Hare do to incur the wrath of members of the tribe?
(a) He steals horses and sells them to other Indian tribes for his profit.
(b) He propositions one of the married women.
(c) He tries to molest one of the young boys.
(d) He steals food when there is little.
3. Whose child does May have?
(a) Reverend Hare.
(b) Harry Ames.
(c) Chief Little Wolf.
(d) John Bourke.
4. What news does Gertie bring to May when she visits her at the camp?
(a) Captain Bourke has arranged for the Cheyenne to escape to the West.
(b) The deadline to go to the Agency has been extended.
(c) The army is coming to enforce the order to go to the Agency.
(d) The army is coming to kill the Cheyenne.
5. One of May's arguments in support of moving to the Agency includes the belief that the mixed race children will help the Indians assimilate. What is Phemie's response?
(a) They will abuse their power.
(b) People often suffer more for being of mixed race.
(c) The white people will bribe them.
(d) It is a possibility.
6. How do the Cheyenne feel about May's child?
(a) She is evil.
(b) They condemn May and the child.
(c) She and May should be sent to the fort.
(d) She is sacred.
7. How does May feel about moving to the Agency?
(a) It will destroy the tribe.
(b) The tribe will become wealthy traders.
(c) It will be a good move.
(d) It is inevitable.
8. What happens to the band of Crow Indians that kidnapped the women?
(a) They are killed in retaliation for the harm they caused.
(b) The are taken back to their tribe with marks of humiliation.
(c) They are beaten and forced to leave the area.
(d) They are abandoned in the middle of nowhere.
9. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about the Red Cloud Agency?
(a) His people will be forced to adopt white men's ways.
(b) That supplies are scarce and that the Indians suffer.
(c) It is a farming community, and his people are hunters.
(d) It is a place filled with disease and death.
10. What does Chief Little Wolf finally decide to do in response to the Army's demand that they go to the Agency?
(a) Go to the West.
(b) Join with other Indian tribes and fight.
(d) Travel to the Agency as soon as practical.
11. Which other woman frequently joins May at the beginning of her favorite time of day?
12. What does May find repugnant about the religious practices of the Cheyenne?
(a) The use of drugs.
(b) Condemnation of Christianity.
(c) Human sacrifices.
(d) Self mutiliation.
13. What was the major issue regarding Sara's burial?
(a) The white women insisted on performing a ceremony.
(b) What items should be buried with her.
(c) Reverend Hare wanted a Christian burial, and the Cheyenne wanted a traditional Cheyenne burial.
(d) An argument about what outfit she should be buried in.
14. What does the tribal seer see for the future of the tribe?
15. What does Anthony's plans include for the spring?
(a) Going back East.
(b) Going to the Agency to convert Indians.
(c) Moving West.
(d) Building a hermitage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Phemie refuse to go the the Agency?
2. How is the weather as the Indians leave the fort?
3. How does May react to the seer's predictions about the tribes future?
4. What does Anthony decide to do when the Cheyenne go to the Agency?
5. What happens when May and Captain Bourke meet again alone?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)