|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does May describe the sanitation at the camp?
(a) They use buckets which they later empty.
(b) They are directed to find a distant place in the bush.
(c) They ride a horse a short way from the camp.
(d) There is a central area, downwind of the camp, that all the people use.
2. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about May's child?
(a) He condemns the child.
(b) He is upset.
(c) He sends her and May to the Fort.
(d) He considers the child his daughter.
3. What does May ask Little Wolf to do in order to let the Army personnel know they intend to comply?
(a) Go immediately to the Agency.
(b) Host a feast and invite people from the fort.
(c) Pretend to agree to go to the Agency.
(d) Fly a white flag in the camp.
4. What is "Seano?"
(a) It is the place that evil Cheyenne go.
(b) It is the place where only the good Cheyenne go.
(c) It is the place all Cheyenne go when they die.
(d) It is the netherword where Cheyenne souls go to wait to enter heaven.
5. What does May tell Martha about the night of the abduction?
(a) She had a message from Chief Little Wolf that he was coming to save them.
(b) She recognized some of the Crow.
(c) She had resigned herself to joining the Crow tribe.
(d) She, too, was afraid, but tried to protect her unborn child.
6. Which of the women is the first to learn the Cheyenne language, and why is it so unusual?
(a) Ada, because she is so melancholy.
(b) Narcissa, because she is so adamant that she is a captive.
(c) Sara, because she never spoke English.
(d) Phemie, because she is a warrior.
7. As the Cheyenne enter the fort, how are the women greeted by the inhabitants of the fort?
(a) With violence and threats.
(b) With respect and admiration.
(c) With curiosity and questions.
(d) With disdain and contempt.
8. What is one of the results of the Kit Foxes attack on the Shoshone?
(a) They bring the Shoshone Chief as a captive.
(b) They present a bag containing the right hands of 12 Shoshone babies.
(c) They bring proof of the destruction of the Shoshone warriors.
(d) They present the scalp of the Shoshone Chief.
9. How does May react to the seer's predictions about the tribes future?
(a) She, too, looks forward to a peaceful future.
(b) She, too, sees a future of plenty.
(c) She pays no attention.
(d) She refuses to accept the prediction of a bad future.
10. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about the Red Cloud Agency?
(a) It is a farming community, and his people are hunters.
(b) It is a place filled with disease and death.
(c) That supplies are scarce and that the Indians suffer.
(d) His people will be forced to adopt white men's ways.
11. What does Helen do that the Indian women consider scandalous?
(c) Eats only her food.
(d) Makes money.
12. What does the tribal seer see for the future of the tribe?
13. How has the relationship of the white women who joined the Brides for Indians program evolved during the time they have spent with the Cheyenne?
(a) They have drifted apart.
(b) They have become enemies.
(c) They have become closer.
(d) They pay little attention to each other.
14. What happens that causes some distress among the women, especially Martha?
(a) The women are forced to leave their families.
(b) Because game is scarce, the tribe is forced to separate.
(c) The women must leave to have their babies.
(d) The women are asked to travel alone.
15. What is May's favorite time of day?
(a) In the morning, before the camp is fully awake.
(b) After dinner, while the others relax at the end of the day.
(c) At the end of the day, when the others have gone to sleep.
(d) In the afternoon, while most of the others take an afternoon nap.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the major issue regarding Sara's burial?
2. What happens to John Bourke after the Army attack?
3. Why does Phemie refuse to go the the Agency?
4. Why does May feel the need to be close to Chief Little Wolf after the kidnapping ordeal?
5. Why does May believe the Indians have not easily convert to Christianity?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)