|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do all of the women feel about the new babies?
(a) They see them as half-breeds.
(b) They are thrilled with them.
(c) They have no particular feelings.
(d) They see them as intruders.
2. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about the Red Cloud Agency?
(a) His people will be forced to adopt white men's ways.
(b) That supplies are scarce and that the Indians suffer.
(c) It is a place filled with disease and death.
(d) It is a farming community, and his people are hunters.
3. What does General Crook want the Cheyenne to do?
(a) Go to the Red Cloud Agency.
(b) Disband and move to different areas of the country.
(c) Leave the area and move West.
(d) Travel south and leave the area.
4. What are some of the Cheyenne joining the Sioux to do?
(a) Attack the Red Cloud Agency.
(b) Raid the settlers in the Black Hills.
(c) Prepare to fight for the Black Hills.
(d) Attack the fort.
5. How does Anthony react to the presentation of the Shoshone infant's hands?
(a) Without emotion.
(b) With great anger condemning the Cheyenne to Hell.
(c) He is realistic and understands why the Cheyenne did it.
(d) He believes the women must help bring the Cheyenne to Christianity.
6. What happens to the band of Crow Indians that kidnapped the women?
(a) They are abandoned in the middle of nowhere.
(b) The are taken back to their tribe with marks of humiliation.
(c) They are beaten and forced to leave the area.
(d) They are killed in retaliation for the harm they caused.
7. What does the visitor bring to Anthony?
(a) May's journals.
(b) Documentation of the injustice.
(c) Pictures of the Cheyenne.
(d) The oral history of the Cheyenne.
8. How do the Cheyenne feel about May's child?
(a) They condemn May and the child.
(b) She is evil.
(c) She is sacred.
(d) She and May should be sent to the fort.
9. What does May tell Martha about the night of the abduction?
(a) She recognized some of the Crow.
(b) She had resigned herself to joining the Crow tribe.
(c) She had a message from Chief Little Wolf that he was coming to save them.
(d) She, too, was afraid, but tried to protect her unborn child.
10. Who is Pretty Walker?
(a) Chief Little Wolf's daughter.
(b) A young woman who takes care of the children.
(c) A girl who leads the children.
(d) A young woman who takes care of the horses.
11. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about May's child?
(a) He is upset.
(b) He condemns the child.
(c) He considers the child his daughter.
(d) He sends her and May to the Fort.
12. Whose child does May have?
(a) Harry Ames.
(b) Chief Little Wolf.
(c) John Bourke.
(d) Reverend Hare.
13. What does May observe about Anthony's sharing of his Christian faith?
(a) He is full of fire and brimstone.
(b) He preaches gently.
(c) He threatens hell as punishment for their sins.
(d) He simply does nothing.
14. What does Chief Little Wolf finally decide to do in response to the Army's demand that they go to the Agency?
(a) Go to the West.
(b) Join with other Indian tribes and fight.
(d) Travel to the Agency as soon as practical.
15. What does May ask Little Wolf to do in order to let the Army personnel know they intend to comply?
(a) Pretend to agree to go to the Agency.
(b) Fly a white flag in the camp.
(c) Host a feast and invite people from the fort.
(d) Go immediately to the Agency.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does May believe the Indians have not easily convert to Christianity?
2. What does May learn from Gertie about the Captain?
3. How are the women seen by the people of the fort?
4. What do the Sioux Indians come to ask of the Cheyenne tribe?
5. What does May try to convince Chief Little Wolf to do because she believes it is in the best interests of the Cheyenne?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)