|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the tribal seer see for the future of the tribe?
2. How has the relationship of the white women who joined the Brides for Indians program evolved during the time they have spent with the Cheyenne?
(a) They have become closer.
(b) They pay little attention to each other.
(c) They have drifted apart.
(d) They have become enemies.
3. What does May ask Little Wolf to do in order to let the Army personnel know they intend to comply?
(a) Host a feast and invite people from the fort.
(b) Fly a white flag in the camp.
(c) Pretend to agree to go to the Agency.
(d) Go immediately to the Agency.
4. Who comes to see Anthony 50 years after the Army attacked the Cheyenne?
(a) Harold Wild Plums, son of Wren, grandson of May.
(b) Captain Bourke.
(c) Reverend Hare.
(d) Jasmine Wild Flower, Martha's granddaughter.
5. Why is Quiet One kind to May after the kidnapping ordeal?
(a) Because May saved her daughter, Pretty Walker, from being raped.
(b) Because May is now Chief Little Wolf's favorite wife.
(c) Because May relies on her to feel safe.
(d) Because they are now equal in the eyes of Chief Little Wolf.
6. What does May find repugnant about the religious practices of the Cheyenne?
(a) The use of drugs.
(b) Human sacrifices.
(c) Condemnation of Christianity.
(d) Self mutiliation.
7. What happens when Bourke does not shock Chief Little Wolf in the "game?"
(b) He goes to live with the Indians.
(c) He loses face with his men.
(d) He becomes the commander of the fort.
8. What does May tell Martha about the night of the abduction?
(a) She, too, was afraid, but tried to protect her unborn child.
(b) She had resigned herself to joining the Crow tribe.
(c) She had a message from Chief Little Wolf that he was coming to save them.
(d) She recognized some of the Crow.
9. How do the Cheyenne women explain the act of capturing the Shoshone infant's hands to May?
(a) An act that protects the Cheyenne babies.
(b) A childish act that must be ignored.
(c) An act of no importance.
(d) The act of a demented few.
10. What news does Gertie bring to May when she visits her at the camp?
(a) The deadline to go to the Agency has been extended.
(b) Captain Bourke has arranged for the Cheyenne to escape to the West.
(c) The army is coming to kill the Cheyenne.
(d) The army is coming to enforce the order to go to the Agency.
11. What is the result of Reverend Hare's indiscretion?
(a) He is abandoned in the wilderness.
(b) He is taken back to the fort and left there.
(c) He loses all credibility with the tribe.
(d) He is banished from the tribe.
12. What does the agent of the Red Cloud agency think May is?
(a) A prostitute serving the Indians.
(b) An angel of mercy.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A good, Christian woman.
13. One day, some of the white women who were gathered together away from the tribe were kidnapped and raped. Which of the women died?
14. What tribal tradition do Gretchen and May challenge?
(a) Eating in the men's tent.
(b) Marrying more than one man.
(c) Performing religious ceremonies.
(d) The use of the sweat-lodge.
15. How does May feel about moving to the Agency?
(a) It will be a good move.
(b) It is inevitable.
(c) It will destroy the tribe.
(d) The tribe will become wealthy traders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the women is the first to learn the Cheyenne language, and why is it so unusual?
2. What does Chief Little Wolf decide to ban from camp because it causes harm?
3. What does the visitor bring to Anthony?
4. What does Anthony's plans include for the spring?
5. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about May's child?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)