|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Martha feel about Christmas?
(a) She spends time with Anthony.
(b) It makes her homesick.
(c) She puts up a tree and gives everyone presents.
(d) She isn't interested in that anymore.
2. What does Reverend Hare do to incur the wrath of members of the tribe?
(a) He steals food when there is little.
(b) He tries to molest one of the young boys.
(c) He propositions one of the married women.
(d) He steals horses and sells them to other Indian tribes for his profit.
3. What happens to May?
(a) She is beaten
(b) She gets shot.
(c) She escapes the camp and runs away.
(d) She is rescued.
4. As the Cheyenne enter the fort, how are the women greeted by the inhabitants of the fort?
(a) With disdain and contempt.
(b) With respect and admiration.
(c) With violence and threats.
(d) With curiosity and questions.
5. What does Chief Little Wolf finally decide to do in response to the Army's demand that they go to the Agency?
(a) Travel to the Agency as soon as practical.
(c) Join with other Indian tribes and fight.
(d) Go to the West.
6. How does May feel about visiting the fort after spending months with the Cheyenne?
(a) A bit anxious about encountering white civilization again.
(b) It is time to refuse to return to the Cheyenne.
(c) It is a wasted trip that should not be made.
(d) She should demand to stay there until her baby is born.
7. How do all of the women feel about the new babies?
(a) They have no particular feelings.
(b) They see them as half-breeds.
(c) They are thrilled with them.
(d) They see them as intruders.
8. What happens that causes some distress among the women, especially Martha?
(a) Because game is scarce, the tribe is forced to separate.
(b) The women are asked to travel alone.
(c) The women are forced to leave their families.
(d) The women must leave to have their babies.
9. What does May ask Little Wolf to do in order to let the Army personnel know they intend to comply?
(a) Host a feast and invite people from the fort.
(b) Fly a white flag in the camp.
(c) Go immediately to the Agency.
(d) Pretend to agree to go to the Agency.
10. What do some of the Cheyenne families decide to do after considering the white man's orders to go to the Agency?
(a) Go to the Agency.
(b) Hide out in the Black Hills.
(c) Leave the tribe for the West.
(d) Return to the fort.
11. How does May react to the seer's predictions about the tribes future?
(a) She, too, sees a future of plenty.
(b) She refuses to accept the prediction of a bad future.
(c) She, too, looks forward to a peaceful future.
(d) She pays no attention.
12. Why does May believe the Indians have not easily convert to Christianity?
(a) They have their own religion which satisfies them.
(b) They are sworn atheists.
(c) They don't speak English well enough to understand.
(d) The don't like white people.
13. Why does the Army attack the Cheyenne camp?
(a) Because they want to steal all the horses.
(b) Because they did not care if the Cheyenne were ready to cooperate.
(c) Because Jules Seminole told the Army it was a Sioux camp.
(d) Because they could do anything they wanted to do.
14. How does May feel about moving to the Agency?
(a) The tribe will become wealthy traders.
(b) It is inevitable.
(c) It will destroy the tribe.
(d) It will be a good move.
15. What does May learn from Gertie about the Captain?
(a) He had Gertie follow the tribe during the summer.
(b) He intended to ask May to marry him.
(c) He is preparing to wage war against the Cheyenne.
(d) He wants all of the women to abandon the mission.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Sioux Indians come to ask of the Cheyenne tribe?
2. Why does Phemie refuse to go the the Agency?
3. What does May tell Martha about the night of the abduction?
4. What does Chief Little Wolf do that May warns will cause trouble?
5. What items are no longer available for trade to the Indians?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)