|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the men react when Gretchen's husband challenges her?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) The chastise him.
(c) They cheer him.
(d) They call him a henpecked husband.
2. How do the Cheyenne feel about May's child?
(a) She and May should be sent to the fort.
(b) She is sacred.
(c) She is evil.
(d) They condemn May and the child.
3. What does May ask Little Wolf to do in order to let the Army personnel know they intend to comply?
(a) Fly a white flag in the camp.
(b) Pretend to agree to go to the Agency.
(c) Go immediately to the Agency.
(d) Host a feast and invite people from the fort.
4. How does May feel about visiting the fort after spending months with the Cheyenne?
(a) It is time to refuse to return to the Cheyenne.
(b) It is a wasted trip that should not be made.
(c) She should demand to stay there until her baby is born.
(d) A bit anxious about encountering white civilization again.
5. What is "Seano?"
(a) It is the place all Cheyenne go when they die.
(b) It is the place where only the good Cheyenne go.
(c) It is the place that evil Cheyenne go.
(d) It is the netherword where Cheyenne souls go to wait to enter heaven.
6. How does Martha feel about Christmas?
(a) She puts up a tree and gives everyone presents.
(b) She isn't interested in that anymore.
(c) She spends time with Anthony.
(d) It makes her homesick.
7. How do the twins, whose husbands participated in the raid on the Shoshone, react to the bag of Shoshone infant's hands?
(a) They are most inconsolable of all.
(b) They were proud.
(c) They were glad their babies had been protected.
(d) They did not care.
8. What happens that causes some distress among the women, especially Martha?
(a) The women are forced to leave their families.
(b) The women must leave to have their babies.
(c) Because game is scarce, the tribe is forced to separate.
(d) The women are asked to travel alone.
9. What happens to May?
(a) She is rescued.
(b) She escapes the camp and runs away.
(c) She gets shot.
(d) She is beaten
10. How are the women seen by the people of the fort?
(a) As brave women on a special mission.
(b) As loathsome creatures to be avoided.
(c) As unusual women and not well understood.
(d) As similar to the prostitutes who hang around the fort Indians.
11. Why does May feel the need to be close to Chief Little Wolf after the kidnapping ordeal?
(a) She is sure she is now his favorite wife.
(b) She is afraid and needs the comfort of his being close.
(c) She is afraid he will now divorce her because she was raped.
(d) She is afraid to be in the tent with other members of her family.
12. What does May try to convince Chief Little Wolf to do because she believes it is in the best interests of the Cheyenne?
(a) Convert to Christianity.
(b) Stay near the fort for the winter.
(c) Let his other wives go.
(d) Go to the Agency.
13. What does General Crook want the Cheyenne to do?
(a) Leave the area and move West.
(b) Travel south and leave the area.
(c) Go to the Red Cloud Agency.
(d) Disband and move to different areas of the country.
14. One of May's arguments in support of moving to the Agency includes the belief that the mixed race children will help the Indians assimilate. What is Phemie's response?
(a) It is a possibility.
(b) People often suffer more for being of mixed race.
(c) The white people will bribe them.
(d) They will abuse their power.
15. Where does May have her baby?
(a) In her tent.
(b) At the fort.
(c) In the birthing lodge.
(d) At the agency.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Bourke does not shock Chief Little Wolf in the "game?"
2. What is May's primary concern about the demand that they move to the Agency?
3. What happens to the band of Crow Indians that kidnapped the women?
4. What does May find repugnant about the religious practices of the Cheyenne?
5. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about the Red Cloud Agency?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)