|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of Reverend Hare's indiscretion?
(a) He is banished from the tribe.
(b) He is abandoned in the wilderness.
(c) He is taken back to the fort and left there.
(d) He loses all credibility with the tribe.
2. Who does May reunite with at the winter camp?
3. Why does the Army attack the Cheyenne camp?
(a) Because they did not care if the Cheyenne were ready to cooperate.
(b) Because they want to steal all the horses.
(c) Because they could do anything they wanted to do.
(d) Because Jules Seminole told the Army it was a Sioux camp.
4. How do the Cheyenne feel about May's child?
(a) She and May should be sent to the fort.
(b) She is evil.
(c) They condemn May and the child.
(d) She is sacred.
5. What was the major issue regarding Sara's burial?
(a) Reverend Hare wanted a Christian burial, and the Cheyenne wanted a traditional Cheyenne burial.
(b) What items should be buried with her.
(c) The white women insisted on performing a ceremony.
(d) An argument about what outfit she should be buried in.
6. What does May ask Little Wolf to do in order to let the Army personnel know they intend to comply?
(a) Fly a white flag in the camp.
(b) Pretend to agree to go to the Agency.
(c) Host a feast and invite people from the fort.
(d) Go immediately to the Agency.
7. How do the twins, whose husbands participated in the raid on the Shoshone, react to the bag of Shoshone infant's hands?
(a) They did not care.
(b) They were proud.
(c) They are most inconsolable of all.
(d) They were glad their babies had been protected.
8. What tribal tradition do Gretchen and May challenge?
(a) The use of the sweat-lodge.
(b) Marrying more than one man.
(c) Eating in the men's tent.
(d) Performing religious ceremonies.
9. What does May find repugnant about the religious practices of the Cheyenne?
(a) The use of drugs.
(b) Self mutiliation.
(c) Human sacrifices.
(d) Condemnation of Christianity.
10. What is one thing that upsets Little Wolf about moving to the Agency?
(a) He has to step down as Chief.
(b) He has to give up two of his wives.
(c) The tribe will have to serve the white people.
(d) The white women will rule the tribe.
11. How does May describe the sanitation at the camp?
(a) There is a central area, downwind of the camp, that all the people use.
(b) They are directed to find a distant place in the bush.
(c) They ride a horse a short way from the camp.
(d) They use buckets which they later empty.
12. What items are no longer available for trade to the Indians?
(b) Gunpowder and ammunition.
(c) Farm implements.
13. What is Captain Bourke's first reaction to May the first time he recognizes her?
(a) He shows curiosity and interest.
(b) He displays joy and delight.
(c) He shows horror and revulsion.
(d) He is threatening and cruel.
14. What does the visitor bring to Anthony?
(a) Pictures of the Cheyenne.
(b) The oral history of the Cheyenne.
(c) May's journals.
(d) Documentation of the injustice.
15. Who is Pretty Walker?
(a) A young woman who takes care of the children.
(b) A girl who leads the children.
(c) A young woman who takes care of the horses.
(d) Chief Little Wolf's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about May's child?
2. What happens to May during a bad storm?
3. One of May's arguments in support of moving to the Agency includes the belief that the mixed race children will help the Indians assimilate. What is Phemie's response?
4. What does Narcissis do at the fort?
5. What does May believe Narcissa is planning as they near the fort?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)