|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is May's favorite time of day?
(a) At the end of the day, when the others have gone to sleep.
(b) In the morning, before the camp is fully awake.
(c) In the afternoon, while most of the others take an afternoon nap.
(d) After dinner, while the others relax at the end of the day.
2. What do the Sioux Indians come to ask of the Cheyenne tribe?
(a) To join the trading party.
(b) To fight the whites to protect their possession of the Black Hills that was promised to them forever.
(c) To arrange to trade horses for white women.
(d) To buy guns and ammunition for them.
3. What do some of the Cheyenne families decide to do after considering the white man's orders to go to the Agency?
(a) Go to the Agency.
(b) Leave the tribe for the West.
(c) Return to the fort.
(d) Hide out in the Black Hills.
4. Why does the Army attack the Cheyenne camp?
(a) Because they could do anything they wanted to do.
(b) Because Jules Seminole told the Army it was a Sioux camp.
(c) Because they did not care if the Cheyenne were ready to cooperate.
(d) Because they want to steal all the horses.
5. What does May learn from Gertie about the Captain?
(a) He intended to ask May to marry him.
(b) He had Gertie follow the tribe during the summer.
(c) He wants all of the women to abandon the mission.
(d) He is preparing to wage war against the Cheyenne.
6. What does the tribal seer see for the future of the tribe?
7. What does the agent of the Red Cloud agency think May is?
(a) A nurse.
(b) A prostitute serving the Indians.
(c) A good, Christian woman.
(d) An angel of mercy.
8. How do the Cheyenne feel about May's child?
(a) She is evil.
(b) She is sacred.
(c) They condemn May and the child.
(d) She and May should be sent to the fort.
9. What does the visitor bring to Anthony?
(a) Pictures of the Cheyenne.
(b) May's journals.
(c) The oral history of the Cheyenne.
(d) Documentation of the injustice.
10. Why does May feel the need to be close to Chief Little Wolf after the kidnapping ordeal?
(a) She is afraid and needs the comfort of his being close.
(b) She is sure she is now his favorite wife.
(c) She is afraid to be in the tent with other members of her family.
(d) She is afraid he will now divorce her because she was raped.
11. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about the Red Cloud Agency?
(a) His people will be forced to adopt white men's ways.
(b) It is a place filled with disease and death.
(c) It is a farming community, and his people are hunters.
(d) That supplies are scarce and that the Indians suffer.
12. How does May feel about visiting the fort after spending months with the Cheyenne?
(a) It is time to refuse to return to the Cheyenne.
(b) It is a wasted trip that should not be made.
(c) She should demand to stay there until her baby is born.
(d) A bit anxious about encountering white civilization again.
13. What is May's response to the Kit Foxes attack on the Shoshone?
(a) Her feelings are deeply hurt.
(b) She sees the Cheyenne as savages.
(c) She sees the Cheyenne as weak.
(d) She gets angry.
14. One of May's arguments in support of moving to the Agency includes the belief that the mixed race children will help the Indians assimilate. What is Phemie's response?
(a) People often suffer more for being of mixed race.
(b) They will abuse their power.
(c) It is a possibility.
(d) The white people will bribe them.
15. What does General Crook want the Cheyenne to do?
(a) Go to the Red Cloud Agency.
(b) Disband and move to different areas of the country.
(c) Leave the area and move West.
(d) Travel south and leave the area.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has the relationship of the white women who joined the Brides for Indians program evolved during the time they have spent with the Cheyenne?
2. What happens to May?
3. What happens to John Bourke after the Army attack?
4. What is Captain Bourke's first reaction to May the first time he recognizes her?
5. How does May feel about moving to the Agency?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)