|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do all of the women feel about the new babies?
(a) They see them as half-breeds.
(b) They have no particular feelings.
(c) They see them as intruders.
(d) They are thrilled with them.
2. Which of the women is the first to learn the Cheyenne language, and why is it so unusual?
(a) Phemie, because she is a warrior.
(b) Sara, because she never spoke English.
(c) Narcissa, because she is so adamant that she is a captive.
(d) Ada, because she is so melancholy.
3. Who does May reunite with at the winter camp?
4. How are the women seen by the people of the fort?
(a) As brave women on a special mission.
(b) As loathsome creatures to be avoided.
(c) As unusual women and not well understood.
(d) As similar to the prostitutes who hang around the fort Indians.
5. Whose child does May have?
(a) Harry Ames.
(b) Chief Little Wolf.
(c) Reverend Hare.
(d) John Bourke.
6. What does May try to convince Chief Little Wolf to do because she believes it is in the best interests of the Cheyenne?
(a) Go to the Agency.
(b) Stay near the fort for the winter.
(c) Convert to Christianity.
(d) Let his other wives go.
7. What news does Gertie bring to May when she visits her at the camp?
(a) The deadline to go to the Agency has been extended.
(b) The army is coming to kill the Cheyenne.
(c) Captain Bourke has arranged for the Cheyenne to escape to the West.
(d) The army is coming to enforce the order to go to the Agency.
8. What are some of the Cheyenne joining the Sioux to do?
(a) Raid the settlers in the Black Hills.
(b) Attack the fort.
(c) Attack the Red Cloud Agency.
(d) Prepare to fight for the Black Hills.
9. How do the Cheyenne women explain the act of capturing the Shoshone infant's hands to May?
(a) A childish act that must be ignored.
(b) An act that protects the Cheyenne babies.
(c) The act of a demented few.
(d) An act of no importance.
10. What does Chief Little Wolf decide to ban from camp because it causes harm?
(d) White man's goods.
11. What do the soldiers put in the fire?
(a) The tipis.
(b) The dead.
12. What items are no longer available for trade to the Indians?
(b) Gunpowder and ammunition.
(c) Farm implements.
13. Who replaces the Reverend Hare?
(a) Another Reverend.
(b) A Catholic Priest.
(c) Anthony, a Benedictine monk.
(d) A Jewish Rabbi.
14. Which other woman frequently joins May at the beginning of her favorite time of day?
15. How does Anthony react to the presentation of the Shoshone infant's hands?
(a) Without emotion.
(b) He is realistic and understands why the Cheyenne did it.
(c) With great anger condemning the Cheyenne to Hell.
(d) He believes the women must help bring the Cheyenne to Christianity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chief Little Wolf do that May warns will cause trouble?
2. What do some of the Cheyenne families decide to do after considering the white man's orders to go to the Agency?
3. How do the twins, whose husbands participated in the raid on the Shoshone, react to the bag of Shoshone infant's hands?
4. What does May believe Narcissa is planning as they near the fort?
5. What does May tell Martha about the night of the abduction?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)