|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when everyone finds out Gertie is a woman?
(a) She is exiled.
(b) She still works as a muleskinner.
(c) She marries one of the other muleskinners.
(d) She is forced to live with the Indians.
2. What is the result of Reverend Hare's indiscretion?
(a) He is taken back to the fort and left there.
(b) He loses all credibility with the tribe.
(c) He is abandoned in the wilderness.
(d) He is banished from the tribe.
3. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about the Red Cloud Agency?
(a) That supplies are scarce and that the Indians suffer.
(b) It is a place filled with disease and death.
(c) His people will be forced to adopt white men's ways.
(d) It is a farming community, and his people are hunters.
4. Why is Quiet One kind to May after the kidnapping ordeal?
(a) Because May saved her daughter, Pretty Walker, from being raped.
(b) Because May relies on her to feel safe.
(c) Because May is now Chief Little Wolf's favorite wife.
(d) Because they are now equal in the eyes of Chief Little Wolf.
5. What do the Sioux Indians come to ask of the Cheyenne tribe?
(a) To join the trading party.
(b) To buy guns and ammunition for them.
(c) To arrange to trade horses for white women.
(d) To fight the whites to protect their possession of the Black Hills that was promised to them forever.
6. Whose child does May have?
(a) Chief Little Wolf.
(b) John Bourke.
(c) Harry Ames.
(d) Reverend Hare.
7. What does General Crook want the Cheyenne to do?
(a) Leave the area and move West.
(b) Disband and move to different areas of the country.
(c) Travel south and leave the area.
(d) Go to the Red Cloud Agency.
8. Why does May feel the need to be close to Chief Little Wolf after the kidnapping ordeal?
(a) She is sure she is now his favorite wife.
(b) She is afraid and needs the comfort of his being close.
(c) She is afraid to be in the tent with other members of her family.
(d) She is afraid he will now divorce her because she was raped.
9. How are the women seen by the people of the fort?
(a) As brave women on a special mission.
(b) As similar to the prostitutes who hang around the fort Indians.
(c) As loathsome creatures to be avoided.
(d) As unusual women and not well understood.
10. What does the tribal seer see for the future of the tribe?
11. One of May's arguments in support of moving to the Agency includes the belief that the mixed race children will help the Indians assimilate. What is Phemie's response?
(a) It is a possibility.
(b) The white people will bribe them.
(c) They will abuse their power.
(d) People often suffer more for being of mixed race.
12. What happens to John Bourke after the Army attack?
(a) He becomes an advocate of Indian's rights.
(b) He becomes a general in the Army.
(c) He loses his mind.
(d) He quietly retires and lives alone.
13. What is May's primary concern about the demand that they move to the Agency?
(a) The women refuse to go to the Agency.
(b) They Cheyenne lost most of their horses and would have to walk.
(c) The women's pregnancies and new babies can't travel.
(d) The Cheyenne will fight to the death.
14. What does Anthony's plans include for the spring?
(a) Going to the Agency to convert Indians.
(b) Building a hermitage.
(c) Moving West.
(d) Going back East.
15. What happens that causes some distress among the women, especially Martha?
(a) The women are forced to leave their families.
(b) The women are asked to travel alone.
(c) Because game is scarce, the tribe is forced to separate.
(d) The women must leave to have their babies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does May reunite with at the winter camp?
2. Why does the Army attack the Cheyenne camp?
3. How does Martha feel about Christmas?
4. What does May learn from Gertie about the Captain?
5. Who is Woman Who Moves Against the Wind?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)