|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helen do that the Indian women consider scandalous?
(a) Makes money.
(b) Eats only her food.
2. What does Reverend Hare do to incur the wrath of members of the tribe?
(a) He steals food when there is little.
(b) He steals horses and sells them to other Indian tribes for his profit.
(c) He propositions one of the married women.
(d) He tries to molest one of the young boys.
3. What was the major issue regarding Sara's burial?
(a) Reverend Hare wanted a Christian burial, and the Cheyenne wanted a traditional Cheyenne burial.
(b) An argument about what outfit she should be buried in.
(c) The white women insisted on performing a ceremony.
(d) What items should be buried with her.
4. What is one thing that upsets Little Wolf about moving to the Agency?
(a) The tribe will have to serve the white people.
(b) The white women will rule the tribe.
(c) He has to step down as Chief.
(d) He has to give up two of his wives.
5. What are some of the Cheyenne joining the Sioux to do?
(a) Attack the Red Cloud Agency.
(b) Attack the fort.
(c) Prepare to fight for the Black Hills.
(d) Raid the settlers in the Black Hills.
6. Which of the women is the first to learn the Cheyenne language, and why is it so unusual?
(a) Phemie, because she is a warrior.
(b) Narcissa, because she is so adamant that she is a captive.
(c) Ada, because she is so melancholy.
(d) Sara, because she never spoke English.
7. What happens that causes some distress among the women, especially Martha?
(a) The women must leave to have their babies.
(b) The women are forced to leave their families.
(c) The women are asked to travel alone.
(d) Because game is scarce, the tribe is forced to separate.
8. What does May tell Martha about the night of the abduction?
(a) She recognized some of the Crow.
(b) She had resigned herself to joining the Crow tribe.
(c) She had a message from Chief Little Wolf that he was coming to save them.
(d) She, too, was afraid, but tried to protect her unborn child.
9. How does May react to the seer's predictions about the tribes future?
(a) She, too, looks forward to a peaceful future.
(b) She refuses to accept the prediction of a bad future.
(c) She pays no attention.
(d) She, too, sees a future of plenty.
10. How do the men react when Gretchen's husband challenges her?
(a) The chastise him.
(b) They cheer him.
(c) They call him a henpecked husband.
(d) They ignore him.
11. What happens when May and Captain Bourke meet again alone?
(a) They discover they don't like each other any more.
(b) They confess their love for each other.
(c) They realize they were never meant for each other.
(d) They decide to run away together.
12. Why does Phemie refuse to go the the Agency?
(a) She wants to go West.
(b) She refuses to be a slave again.
(c) She doesn't like the land there.
(d) She wants to return to Canada.
13. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about the Red Cloud Agency?
(a) It is a place filled with disease and death.
(b) It is a farming community, and his people are hunters.
(c) His people will be forced to adopt white men's ways.
(d) That supplies are scarce and that the Indians suffer.
14. As the Cheyenne enter the fort, how are the women greeted by the inhabitants of the fort?
(a) With violence and threats.
(b) With curiosity and questions.
(c) With respect and admiration.
(d) With disdain and contempt.
15. Who is Pretty Walker?
(a) A young woman who takes care of the children.
(b) A young woman who takes care of the horses.
(c) Chief Little Wolf's daughter.
(d) A girl who leads the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does May feel the need to be close to Chief Little Wolf after the kidnapping ordeal?
2. What does Chief Little Wolf decide to ban from camp because it causes harm?
3. How has the relationship of the white women who joined the Brides for Indians program evolved during the time they have spent with the Cheyenne?
4. What does Anthony decide to do when the Cheyenne go to the Agency?
5. What does May observe about Anthony's sharing of his Christian faith?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)