|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about the Red Cloud Agency?
(a) It is a place filled with disease and death.
(b) That supplies are scarce and that the Indians suffer.
(c) His people will be forced to adopt white men's ways.
(d) It is a farming community, and his people are hunters.
2. What are some of the Cheyenne joining the Sioux to do?
(a) Attack the Red Cloud Agency.
(b) Raid the settlers in the Black Hills.
(c) Attack the fort.
(d) Prepare to fight for the Black Hills.
3. What is one thing that upsets Little Wolf about moving to the Agency?
(a) The tribe will have to serve the white people.
(b) He has to give up two of his wives.
(c) The white women will rule the tribe.
(d) He has to step down as Chief.
4. How do the Cheyenne feel about May's child?
(a) She is evil.
(b) She and May should be sent to the fort.
(c) She is sacred.
(d) They condemn May and the child.
5. What does Helen do that the Indian women consider scandalous?
(b) Eats only her food.
(d) Makes money.
6. Why does the Army attack the Cheyenne camp?
(a) Because they could do anything they wanted to do.
(b) Because Jules Seminole told the Army it was a Sioux camp.
(c) Because they did not care if the Cheyenne were ready to cooperate.
(d) Because they want to steal all the horses.
7. What happens when everyone finds out Gertie is a woman?
(a) She marries one of the other muleskinners.
(b) She is exiled.
(c) She still works as a muleskinner.
(d) She is forced to live with the Indians.
8. What happens very soon after the Cheyenne arrive at the winter camp?
(a) Unseasonably hot weather.
(b) Driving rain.
(c) A blizzard.
(d) Light snows.
9. Which of the women is the first to learn the Cheyenne language, and why is it so unusual?
(a) Sara, because she never spoke English.
(b) Ada, because she is so melancholy.
(c) Narcissa, because she is so adamant that she is a captive.
(d) Phemie, because she is a warrior.
10. How are the women seen by the people of the fort?
(a) As loathsome creatures to be avoided.
(b) As brave women on a special mission.
(c) As similar to the prostitutes who hang around the fort Indians.
(d) As unusual women and not well understood.
11. One day, some of the white women who were gathered together away from the tribe were kidnapped and raped. Which of the women died?
12. What is May's response to the Kit Foxes attack on the Shoshone?
(a) She gets angry.
(b) She sees the Cheyenne as weak.
(c) She sees the Cheyenne as savages.
(d) Her feelings are deeply hurt.
13. Whose child does May have?
(a) Reverend Hare.
(b) Chief Little Wolf.
(c) John Bourke.
(d) Harry Ames.
14. What does Reverend Hare do to incur the wrath of members of the tribe?
(a) He steals horses and sells them to other Indian tribes for his profit.
(b) He tries to molest one of the young boys.
(c) He steals food when there is little.
(d) He propositions one of the married women.
15. Which other woman frequently joins May at the beginning of her favorite time of day?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May find repugnant about the religious practices of the Cheyenne?
2. What does the agent of the Red Cloud agency think May is?
3. What is "Seano?"
4. What is Captain Bourke's first reaction to May the first time he recognizes her?
5. What does Narcissis do at the fort?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)