|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the Cheyenne enter the fort, how are the women greeted by the inhabitants of the fort?
(a) With violence and threats.
(b) With curiosity and questions.
(c) With respect and admiration.
(d) With disdain and contempt.
2. What does May ask Little Wolf to do in order to let the Army personnel know they intend to comply?
(a) Go immediately to the Agency.
(b) Pretend to agree to go to the Agency.
(c) Host a feast and invite people from the fort.
(d) Fly a white flag in the camp.
3. Why is Quiet One kind to May after the kidnapping ordeal?
(a) Because May relies on her to feel safe.
(b) Because May saved her daughter, Pretty Walker, from being raped.
(c) Because May is now Chief Little Wolf's favorite wife.
(d) Because they are now equal in the eyes of Chief Little Wolf.
4. What does Reverend Hare do to incur the wrath of members of the tribe?
(a) He propositions one of the married women.
(b) He tries to molest one of the young boys.
(c) He steals food when there is little.
(d) He steals horses and sells them to other Indian tribes for his profit.
5. What does Anthony's plans include for the spring?
(a) Building a hermitage.
(b) Going back East.
(c) Moving West.
(d) Going to the Agency to convert Indians.
6. What are some of the Cheyenne joining the Sioux to do?
(a) Attack the Red Cloud Agency.
(b) Prepare to fight for the Black Hills.
(c) Raid the settlers in the Black Hills.
(d) Attack the fort.
7. What happens when everyone finds out Gertie is a woman?
(a) She marries one of the other muleskinners.
(b) She is exiled.
(c) She still works as a muleskinner.
(d) She is forced to live with the Indians.
8. How does May react to the seer's predictions about the tribes future?
(a) She pays no attention.
(b) She, too, looks forward to a peaceful future.
(c) She, too, sees a future of plenty.
(d) She refuses to accept the prediction of a bad future.
9. Why does May feel the need to be close to Chief Little Wolf after the kidnapping ordeal?
(a) She is afraid and needs the comfort of his being close.
(b) She is sure she is now his favorite wife.
(c) She is afraid to be in the tent with other members of her family.
(d) She is afraid he will now divorce her because she was raped.
10. What was the major issue regarding Sara's burial?
(a) An argument about what outfit she should be buried in.
(b) What items should be buried with her.
(c) Reverend Hare wanted a Christian burial, and the Cheyenne wanted a traditional Cheyenne burial.
(d) The white women insisted on performing a ceremony.
11. One of May's arguments in support of moving to the Agency includes the belief that the mixed race children will help the Indians assimilate. What is Phemie's response?
(a) People often suffer more for being of mixed race.
(b) It is a possibility.
(c) The white people will bribe them.
(d) They will abuse their power.
12. What does May try to convince Chief Little Wolf to do because she believes it is in the best interests of the Cheyenne?
(a) Go to the Agency.
(b) Stay near the fort for the winter.
(c) Let his other wives go.
(d) Convert to Christianity.
13. How is the weather as the Indians leave the fort?
(a) Cool and pleasant.
(b) Snowing and cold.
(d) Raining and gloomy.
14. What is one thing that upsets Little Wolf about moving to the Agency?
(a) He has to step down as Chief.
(b) The white women will rule the tribe.
(c) He has to give up two of his wives.
(d) The tribe will have to serve the white people.
15. How do the twins, whose husbands participated in the raid on the Shoshone, react to the bag of Shoshone infant's hands?
(a) They were glad their babies had been protected.
(b) They did not care.
(c) They are most inconsolable of all.
(d) They were proud.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens very soon after the Cheyenne arrive at the winter camp?
2. Which other woman frequently joins May at the beginning of her favorite time of day?
3. How does May feel about visiting the fort after spending months with the Cheyenne?
4. How does Chief Little Wolf feel about the Red Cloud Agency?
5. After the kidnapping ordeal, how are the women treated by the tribe?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)