|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does May believe happened during the wedding ceremony?
(a) The ceremony was a secret affair.
(b) The men exchanged wives.
(c) She was drugged as part of the ceremony.
(d) Some of the women were forced to leave.
2. As the women approach the Indian tribe, what do they learn about the Indians?
(a) The Cheyenne Indian tribe will be coming to meet them.
(b) The Indians are having second thoughts about the program.
(c) Their families have been told the truth about their mission.
(d) There is unrest between the Indian tribes and between the Indians and white people.
3. Who is Sara Johnstone?
(a) A cleaning woman at the asylum.
(b) A cheerful, verbose young women.
(c) A woman who wants to learn about Indians firsthand.
(d) A young woman who also lived at the asylum, but who never speaks.
4. How does May describe herself during a conversation at the dinner table about religion?
(a) An Anglican.
(b) A Protestant.
(c) A bit of an agnostic.
(d) A Catholic.
5. Who are the Kelly sisters, Margaret and Susan?
(a) Two women looking for adventure in the West.
(b) Twins serving ten years in the Illinois State Penitentiary.
(c) Innocent women serving ten years in the Illinois State Penitentiary.
(d) Women sold into the program by their husbands.
6. What does May tell Harry in a letter?
(a) She is glad to be rid of him because she knows he cheated on her.
(b) She knows he sold her out to her father for money and a job.
(c) She will never know if he cooperated with her father or loves her.
(d) She knows he is probably dead.
7. What happens to Whistling Elk, Ada Ware's husband, who shoots and kills Runs From Crow, Marie Blanche's husband?
(a) He is killed.
(b) He is exiled and must live on the outskirts of the camp.
(c) He is banished forever and not allowed near the community.
(d) He is sent to the fort for a trial.
8. What does May try to discourage the Indians from doing during a special council meeting?
(a) Arranging fights to the death to determine the superior warriors.
(b) Going to war on an enemy tribe.
(c) Sending a raiding party off to capture more white women.
(d) Raiding the nearest fort and surrounding farms for supplies.
9. What does May say about her children in her letter to Harry?
(a) She is glad that she is no longer responsible for the children.
(b) She misses her children.
(c) She no longer misses her children.
(d) She realizes it was for the best.
10. What is Reverend Hare doing in all the commotion?
(a) Ready to help the women restore order.
(b) Ready to help the women escape the camp.
(c) He has already left the camp.
(d) Cowering in a corner, afraid of what is happening.
11. What is the President's Indian Peace Plan?
(a) It involves sending the Cheyenne children to church-affiliated boarding schools.
(b) It will send Indian representatives to live among white people.
(c) It involves coming to a peaceful agreement with the Indian leaders.
(d) It will teach Indians to live like white people.
12. What effect does Phemie's victory in the races have on the women?
(a) They are frightened about how the men will react.
(b) It has no effect at all.
(c) They decide to demand qual treatment.
(d) They are united in their pleasure that a woman won.
13. What does May observe about the women who came to the tribe with her?
(a) They are counting the days until they can leave.
(b) They look very much like natives.
(c) They are unhappy with the tribe and let them know it.
(d) They have maintained vestiges of their previous lives.
14. Who is Daisy Lovelace?
(a) A woman trying to escape from a brutal husband.
(b) A woman who gives the appearance of ruined gentry.
(c) A woman who sells clothing and wants to study Indian fashion.
(d) A lovely, elegant woman who volunteers to escape poverty.
15. For the last part of their journey to the Indians, what do the women ride in?
(a) A very uncomfortable cart.
(b) A somewhat uncomfortable covered wagon.
(c) On horseback.
(d) In a train car.
Short Answer Questions
1. During her "honeymoon," what does May learn to do?
2. What were May Dodd's feelings while she rode the train on her way to become one of the Brides for Indians?
3. What is the one diversion the women are able to enjoy at Fort Laramie?
4. What happens to Jules Seminole because he brought the whiskey to the tribe?
5. What do May and Captain Bourke do in his tent, according to the entry of April 22nd?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)