|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does May describe the military guard accompanying them on their journey?
(a) Aloof and disinterested.
(b) Helpful and considerate.
(c) Snide and contemptuous.
(d) Supportive and interested in being helpful.
2. Sitting in the tipi at the end of her arrival day in camp, what does May realize?
(a) She has always been foolish and impetuous.
(b) Perhaps the insane asylum was not as bad as she thought.
(c) She is looking forward to the adventure.
(d) This is a tremendous opportunity even though it is frightening.
3. When the Cheyenne come to inspect the white women, what does May realize that Captain Bourke understands?
(a) He is relieved that he is about to deliver the women.
(b) The Chief has selected May for his own.
(c) He is in love with her and wants her to stay with him.
(d) He knows she will be safe and cared for.
4. What is Captain Bourke concerned about when he is alone with May in his tent?
(a) Their future together.
(b) Any sense of impropriety that might concern May.
(c) The possibility that he will be demoted.
(d) Her being forbidden to become an Indian bride.
5. What do the women learn as they get near the Indians?
(a) A month earlier, Lt. Levi Robinson was murdered by Sioux.
(b) Several people on previous trips have gotten lost in the wild, unexplored territory.
(c) Enemy Sioux Indians want to kill the women.
(d) Enemy Sioux Indians want to kidnap the woman.
6. What two things does May stop doing because of the cruel way she is treated while staying with the family of Lieutenant James?
(a) She refuses to eat and stops taking walks.
(b) She stops writing in her journal and stops paying any attention to the soldier's requests.
(c) She refuses to eat and stops writing in her journal.
(d) She stops writing in her journal and stops taking walks.
7. May and Captain Bourke find they both share an interest in what subject?
(d) The Bible.
8. How does May describe her first few days with the tribe?
(a) Spent under guard in her tent.
(b) Full of hard, physical labor and no privacy.
(c) Boring and tedious with nothing to do.
(d) Spent learning sign language.
9. How do the women feel about staying with Phemie?
(a) They don't have any particular feeling about it.
(b) Many refuse to room with Phemie because the Negro families are cruel to the white women.
(c) Many refuse to room with Phemie because she is a Negro.
(d) They like to room with Phemie because she gets the best treatment.
10. During the dinner conversation, Lydia Bradley tries to turn the conversation to what subject?
(a) Her new dress and the latest New York fashion.
(b) The ladies' sewing circle.
(c) The need for more gardens at the fort.
(d) Her new hat and the latest New York fashion.
11. What is Captain Bourke's comment about May Dodd's suggestion that the woman might be able to bring an appreciation for white civilization to the savages?
(a) It is impossible for Indians to understand the white man's culture.
(b) The women should go home.
(c) The woman have a good chance of civilizing the Indians.
(d) The mission of the women is doomed to failure.
12. What does Jules Seminole tell May is the reason Chief Little Wolf will never kill him?
(a) Chief Little Wolf is afraid of him and can not kill him.
(b) It is forbidden to kill a member of the tribe.
(c) He will be leaving soon.
(d) As a member of the tribe, he is able to do anything he wants.
13. What is Reverend Hare doing in all the commotion?
(a) He has already left the camp.
(b) Ready to help the women escape the camp.
(c) Cowering in a corner, afraid of what is happening.
(d) Ready to help the women restore order.
14. How does May describe Captain Bourke?
(a) Strictly a soldier with no interest in any other subject.
(b) Not at all interested in the group of women.
(c) A handsome man with the romantic look of a poet.
(d) Tied up by the running of the fort.
15. What kind of Indians were the fort Indians, according to Abigail James?
(a) "They exploited their culture by selling trinkets to white people."
(b) "They are business owners who were successful at the forts."
(c) "Drunken, degenerate savages."
(d) "Industrious and interested in learning white man's ways."
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Captain Bourke behave during the trip to the Indians?
2. What happens when Jules Seminole calls Gretchen German?
3. What does May do in the first morning with the Indian tribe that amuses the Indians?
4. According to tribal custom, because Marie Blanche's husband is dead and she is pregnant, what happens to her?
5. According to May's diary, what does Narcissa White considers herself to be?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)