|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event captures the attention of Helen Flight on the train trip?
(a) A bird flies into the train, and she is able to capture it.
(b) A very large group of cranes take off from the surface of the river, creating a massive wave of birds.
(c) She gets off the train and is able to get close to some birds.
(d) The soldiers shoot some of the birds in the area to eat.
2. What do May and John Bourke do at the end of their conversation the day before the women are to be left with the Cheyenne?
(a) They realize they do not really like each other.
(b) Make love.
(c) Vow to remain chaste and love from afar.
(d) Decide to run away together.
3. How does May describe some farmers in the field?
(a) Very interested in the women.
(b) Lazy and shiftless with fields that suffer from neglect.
(c) Gaunt and hopeless as they try to plow the fields.
(d) Healthy and successful, plowing beautiful fields.
4. How is Gretchen Fathauer described?
(a) A large, Swiss woman with a heart of gold.
(b) The very picture of the blond, Swiss lass with pigtails.
(c) A beautiful German woman.
(d) A poor, shy woman.
5. How does May describe Captain Bourke?
(a) Strictly a soldier with no interest in any other subject.
(b) A handsome man with the romantic look of a poet.
(c) Not at all interested in the group of women.
(d) Tied up by the running of the fort.
6. Who is Daisy Lovelace?
(a) A woman who sells clothing and wants to study Indian fashion.
(b) A woman trying to escape from a brutal husband.
(c) A woman who gives the appearance of ruined gentry.
(d) A lovely, elegant woman who volunteers to escape poverty.
7. Two days after May meets Captain Bourke, where does he invite her to do?
(a) Have an after dinner drink.
(b) Take a look at the horses.
(c) Take a stroll.
(d) Look around the fort.
8. After May returns to her tent, what is Martha most concerned about?
(a) May will marry Captain Bourke.
(b) Captain Bourke will refuse to allow May to become a bride.
(c) May will leave her and the group.
(d) Captain Bourke will refuse to continue to accompany them.
9. What does May believe happened during the wedding ceremony?
(a) The ceremony was a secret affair.
(b) Some of the women were forced to leave.
(c) The men exchanged wives.
(d) She was drugged as part of the ceremony.
10. What does May believe after her honeymoon with Chief Little Wolf?
(a) She has found the one, true love of her life.
(b) That the Chief will be her window to the tribe.
(c) That the women need to get together to compare notes.
(d) That the whole mission is doomed to failure.
11. What things were an important part of the wedding ceremony?
(a) Instructions on properly serving their new husbands.
(b) Instructions on how to be good Indian wives.
(c) Food and instruction on how to prepare this special food.
(d) Music, singing, and dancing.
12. During the dinner conversation, Lydia Bradley tries to turn the conversation to what subject?
(a) The ladies' sewing circle.
(b) Her new dress and the latest New York fashion.
(c) The need for more gardens at the fort.
(d) Her new hat and the latest New York fashion.
13. What does Jimmy come to May's tent to ask?
(a) He wants her to ride with him for the rest of the trip.
(b) He fears for her safety.
(c) If she will help him with the horses.
(d) To go to Captain Bourke's tent.
14. One night at dinner, as the party nears Indian territory, what does Daisy tell them about her father?
(a) He was a wealthy southern aristrocrat.
(b) He lost everything in the Civil War and died a broken man.
(c) He was a northern sympathizer.
(d) He was a successful businessman.
15. What does Captain Bourke say to May the evening before leaving the women with the Cheyenne?
(a) He insists that she return to the fort every month.
(b) He feels she should go to one of the other tribes.
(c) He insists that she return to her family immediately.
(d) He forbids her to go with the Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Jules Seminole because he brought the whiskey to the tribe?
2. What is unusual about the hat that Lydia wears to wave goodbye to the party led by Captain Bourke?
3. What information does the blacksmith's family that houses Phemie tell about the Cheyenne?
4. What effect does Phemie's victory in the races have on the women?
5. What is the one diversion the women are able to enjoy at Fort Laramie?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)