|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Captain Bourke say to May the evening before leaving the women with the Cheyenne?
(a) He insists that she return to the fort every month.
(b) He feels she should go to one of the other tribes.
(c) He insists that she return to her family immediately.
(d) He forbids her to go with the Indians.
2. How does May describe Captain Bourke?
(a) Strictly a soldier with no interest in any other subject.
(b) Tied up by the running of the fort.
(c) A handsome man with the romantic look of a poet.
(d) Not at all interested in the group of women.
3. What do May and Captain Bourke do in his tent, according to the entry of April 22nd?
(a) They read Shakespeare. Nothing more. Nothing less.
(b) They confess their strong feelings for each other.
(c) The talk about the Brides for Indians program.
(d) They talk about the rest of the travel plans.
4. When Narcissa fails at converting the tribe, what does she try to do?
(a) Teach some to knit and crochet so they can earn a living.
(b) Train some to be teachers so they can spread civilization.
(c) Train some to become good servants for white people.
(d) Teach some to learn to trade to bring wealth to the Indians.
5. Why is Helen Flight interested in birds?
(a) She studies bird anatomy and physiology.
(b) She is a naturalist.
(c) She collects recipes for cooking birds.
(d) She designs hats and uses their feathers.
6. What do the women learn as they get near the Indians?
(a) Enemy Sioux Indians want to kill the women.
(b) A month earlier, Lt. Levi Robinson was murdered by Sioux.
(c) Several people on previous trips have gotten lost in the wild, unexplored territory.
(d) Enemy Sioux Indians want to kidnap the woman.
7. What does May see is so damaging to the Indians?
(d) War games.
8. During the final part of the trip to meet the Cheyenne, what does Captain Bourke tell the women about the Indians?
(a) Only by trading with the Indians can they be civilized.
(b) The Indian civilization must be completely destroyed.
(c) The Brides for Indians program may be able to save the Indians.
(d) The Indians must be subdued by a superior military force before they can be civilized.
9. What happens to the women who try to escape from the camp?
(a) They are caught by members of the Cheyenne.
(b) They are able to meet up with a passing wagon train.
(c) They are able to make their way back to the fort.
(d) They are found dead due to exposure and starvation.
10. What is unusual about Stares at Sun, the old Indian who wins the target contest?
(a) He is female.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He is elderly.
(d) He is crippled.
11. What does May do when she is told about the Black Hills gold?
(a) She tells the women so they can mine the gold for protection in the future.
(b) She tells the women so they can return to the fort.
(c) She tells the Cheyenne so they can start mining the gold.
(d) She keeps the information to herself for the time being.
12. What effect does Phemie's victory in the races have on the women?
(a) They are united in their pleasure that a woman won.
(b) They decide to demand qual treatment.
(c) They are frightened about how the men will react.
(d) It has no effect at all.
13. How does May describe Reverend Hare?
(a) A kindly man respected by all.
(b) A doddering old fool whom no one pays any attention to.
(c) A lazy man who takes advantage of his position.
(d) A scholarly man studying the Indian culture.
14. Who is Daisy Lovelace?
(a) A woman trying to escape from a brutal husband.
(b) A lovely, elegant woman who volunteers to escape poverty.
(c) A woman who sells clothing and wants to study Indian fashion.
(d) A woman who gives the appearance of ruined gentry.
15. What does May do in the first morning with the Indian tribe that amuses the Indians?
(a) She reads her book every night.
(b) She insists on preparing meals the way she used to.
(c) She follows them to the place they bathe and bathes herself.
(d) She sings to herself while she works in the fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does May describe the cowboys she sees?
2. What event occurs that makes May feel that men are foolish, loutish creatures?
3. What two things does May stop doing because of the cruel way she is treated while staying with the family of Lieutenant James?
4. How were the women treated when they first entered the Indian camp?
5. Why does Martha decide to join the Brides for Indians program?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)