|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of person is Narcissa White?
(a) A Christian missionary with a shrill voice.
(b) A quiet, little woman.
(c) A shrew who hates everyone.
(d) A selfish spinster.
2. What is Narcissa White's reaction to the destructive events the night the Indians drink the whiskey?
(a) She believes that God has forsaken her and all of the women.
(b) She condemns the women for being sinners.
(c) She sets up a prayer meeting.
(d) She tries to escape the camp and return to the fort.
3. How does Lieutenant James' wife, Abigail, treat May when she stays with the family?
(a) She is solicitous to May.
(b) She is kind to May.
(c) She is aloof toward May.
(d) She is cruel to May.
4. How do the women first meet some of the members of the Cheyenne tribe?
(a) They come to bring gifts to the women.
(b) They come to inspect the women.
(c) The Indians ride through the women's camp in a parade.
(d) They are engaged in a battle with the Sioux.
5. During the final part of the trip to meet the Cheyenne, what does Captain Bourke tell the women about the Indians?
(a) The Indians must be subdued by a superior military force before they can be civilized.
(b) The Brides for Indians program may be able to save the Indians.
(c) The Indian civilization must be completely destroyed.
(d) Only by trading with the Indians can they be civilized.
6. What does Reverend Hare tell May she is when she returns to camp?
(a) A lost woman who must seek spiritual guidance.
(b) A sinner who must repent.
(c) A good Christian woman who has been misguided.
(d) A Godless woman.
7. What does May try to discourage the Indians from doing during a special council meeting?
(a) Arranging fights to the death to determine the superior warriors.
(b) Raiding the nearest fort and surrounding farms for supplies.
(c) Going to war on an enemy tribe.
(d) Sending a raiding party off to capture more white women.
8. What is unusual about Stares at Sun, the old Indian who wins the target contest?
(a) He is crippled.
(b) He is elderly.
(c) He is female.
(d) He is blind.
9. What does May do when she is told about the Black Hills gold?
(a) She tells the women so they can mine the gold for protection in the future.
(b) She tells the Cheyenne so they can start mining the gold.
(c) She tells the women so they can return to the fort.
(d) She keeps the information to herself for the time being.
10. Why does Martha decide to join the Brides for Indians program?
(a) To marry an Indian.
(b) To go to the West.
(c) She is afraid to be punished for helping May.
(d) To make money.
11. What is the President's Indian Peace Plan?
(a) It involves sending the Cheyenne children to church-affiliated boarding schools.
(b) It will teach Indians to live like white people.
(c) It involves coming to a peaceful agreement with the Indian leaders.
(d) It will send Indian representatives to live among white people.
12. What does Captain Bourke say to May the evening before leaving the women with the Cheyenne?
(a) He forbids her to go with the Indians.
(b) He feels she should go to one of the other tribes.
(c) He insists that she return to her family immediately.
(d) He insists that she return to the fort every month.
13. May and Captain Bourke find they both share an interest in what subject?
(b) The Bible.
14. What is Reverend Hare doing in all the commotion?
(a) He has already left the camp.
(b) Cowering in a corner, afraid of what is happening.
(c) Ready to help the women escape the camp.
(d) Ready to help the women restore order.
15. What is Captain Bourke concerned about when he is alone with May in his tent?
(a) Their future together.
(b) The possibility that he will be demoted.
(c) Her being forbidden to become an Indian bride.
(d) Any sense of impropriety that might concern May.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of the things done to prepare the women for the wedding?
2. What is the one diversion the women are able to enjoy at Fort Laramie?
3. What does Jules Seminole tell May is the reason Chief Little Wolf will never kill him?
4. What happens when Jules Seminole calls Gretchen German?
5. After May returns to her tent, what is Martha most concerned about?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)