|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Captain Bourke concerned about when he is alone with May in his tent?
(a) Any sense of impropriety that might concern May.
(b) Her being forbidden to become an Indian bride.
(c) Their future together.
(d) The possibility that he will be demoted.
2. What does May observe about the tribe's children?
(a) They may help bridge the gap between the two cultures.
(b) They are quiet and shy and won't come anywhere near her.
(c) They are rude and poorly behaved.
(d) They are aloof and distant and have no interest in any of the women.
3. What does Helen Flight tell Lydia Bradley about the feathers in her new hat?
(a) The feathers are from a bird that is almost extinct.
(b) It is silly to put feathers on hats.
(c) The Seminole Indians kill the birds in order to get the feathers.
(d) Those particular feathers are cheap and easy to come by.
4. What does Gretchen tell her husband after he wagers her for whiskey with Jules Seminole?
(a) She can make him rich if he will be good to her.
(b) To not come back to her tent.
(c) That she wants the whiskey to sell.
(d) She is going to kill him.
5. One night at dinner, as the party nears Indian territory, what does Daisy tell them about her father?
(a) He lost everything in the Civil War and died a broken man.
(b) He was a wealthy southern aristrocrat.
(c) He was a northern sympathizer.
(d) He was a successful businessman.
6. What are some of the smells involved with living with the Indians that make an impression on May?
(a) Wonderful smells of cooking.
(b) Clean smells of the laundry.
(c) Smells of the horses that live so close to the people.
(d) Indescribable odors of bedding, people, and smoke.
7. What does Captain Bourke say to May the evening before leaving the women with the Cheyenne?
(a) He insists that she return to the fort every month.
(b) He insists that she return to her family immediately.
(c) He forbids her to go with the Indians.
(d) He feels she should go to one of the other tribes.
8. During her "honeymoon," what does May learn to do?
(a) Build a stand to use to hunt.
(b) Butcher, skin, and dress an animal.
(c) Identify safe things to eat.
(d) Shoot game.
9. After the Indians inspect the woman, what is May certain of?
(a) The Indians will go off and fight over the women.
(b) She has made a terrible decision to come to this place.
(c) The Indians will not return because they are not happy.
(d) She has been chosen by the apparent chief of the tribe.
10. What happens to Jules Seminole because he brought the whiskey to the tribe?
(a) He is banished for one year.
(c) He is sent to the fort for imprisonment.
(d) He is sent to live with another Indian tribe.
11. Why does Martha decide to join the Brides for Indians program?
(a) To make money.
(b) To marry an Indian.
(c) She is afraid to be punished for helping May.
(d) To go to the West.
12. What happens to the women who try to escape from the camp?
(a) They are able to meet up with a passing wagon train.
(b) They are able to make their way back to the fort.
(c) They are found dead due to exposure and starvation.
(d) They are caught by members of the Cheyenne.
13. When the Cheyenne come to inspect the white women, what does May realize that Captain Bourke understands?
(a) He knows she will be safe and cared for.
(b) He is relieved that he is about to deliver the women.
(c) He is in love with her and wants her to stay with him.
(d) The Chief has selected May for his own.
14. What does May try to discourage the Indians from doing during a special council meeting?
(a) Arranging fights to the death to determine the superior warriors.
(b) Going to war on an enemy tribe.
(c) Raiding the nearest fort and surrounding farms for supplies.
(d) Sending a raiding party off to capture more white women.
15. What does May say about her children in her letter to Harry?
(a) She no longer misses her children.
(b) She realizes it was for the best.
(c) She is glad that she is no longer responsible for the children.
(d) She misses her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. The women are depressed, but Phemie brings some cheer by doing what?
2. What was one of the things done to prepare the women for the wedding?
3. What is Reverend Hare doing in all the commotion?
4. How is Gretchen Fathauer described?
5. How does May describe herself during a conversation at the dinner table about religion?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)