|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does May learn about Jimmy during the last days of the trip?
(a) Jimmy is spying on Captain Bourke.
(b) Jimmy is really a girl named Dirty Gertie.
(c) Jimmy is really a military spy.
(d) Jimmy plans on trading some guns with the Indians.
2. What is Captain Bourke disturbed to learn about what the women don't know?
(a) That they would not be able to return to the fort for their safety.
(b) They were not given information about the life they would face.
(c) That they could be abandoned if they were not selected.
(d) They had no way of ending their agreement.
3. When Narcissa fails at converting the tribe, what does she try to do?
(a) Train some to become good servants for white people.
(b) Train some to be teachers so they can spread civilization.
(c) Teach some to learn to trade to bring wealth to the Indians.
(d) Teach some to knit and crochet so they can earn a living.
4. Why is May sent to the asylum?
(a) Her family wants her to marry a socially prominent man they have selected for her, but she refuses.
(b) She has had a number of lovers and refuses to take responsibility for her children.
(c) Her family considers her behavior promiscuous.
(d) Her family wants her to marry Harry Ames to legitimize their grandchildren.
5. According to tribal custom, because Marie Blanche's husband is dead and she is pregnant, what happens to her?
(a) She is banished from the tribe.
(b) She is sent back to the fort.
(c) She is married to the Chief.
(d) One Bear, Runs From Crow's younger brother, offers to marry her.
6. Who is Daisy Lovelace?
(a) A lovely, elegant woman who volunteers to escape poverty.
(b) A woman who gives the appearance of ruined gentry.
(c) A woman trying to escape from a brutal husband.
(d) A woman who sells clothing and wants to study Indian fashion.
7. What does May see is so damaging to the Indians?
(a) War games.
8. Whose tent do May, Martha, and the other women run to when the Indians run amok?
(a) Gretchen Fathauer.
(b) Jules Seminole.
(c) Chief Little Wolf.
(d) Reverend Hare.
9. What kind of person is Narcissa White?
(a) A selfish spinster.
(b) A quiet, little woman.
(c) A Christian missionary with a shrill voice.
(d) A shrew who hates everyone.
10. What is Narcissa White's reaction to the destructive events the night the Indians drink the whiskey?
(a) She believes that God has forsaken her and all of the women.
(b) She sets up a prayer meeting.
(c) She condemns the women for being sinners.
(d) She tries to escape the camp and return to the fort.
11. What does May do when she is told about the Black Hills gold?
(a) She tells the Cheyenne so they can start mining the gold.
(b) She keeps the information to herself for the time being.
(c) She tells the women so they can return to the fort.
(d) She tells the women so they can mine the gold for protection in the future.
12. On the night she was taken to the asylum, what happened to Mary's babies?
(a) She and her babies were taken far away and left alone to fend for themselves.
(b) They were given to Harry Ames to take away.
(c) They were taken from her.
(d) They took her babies to her parent's home, where they pleaded with her to come and live with them.
13. How does May describe the military guard accompanying them on their journey?
(a) Snide and contemptuous.
(b) Supportive and interested in being helpful.
(c) Aloof and disinterested.
(d) Helpful and considerate.
14. How does Captain Bourke behave during the trip to the Indians?
(a) He ignores her and spends a lot of time hunting buffalo.
(b) He barely pays May any attention.
(c) He spends a lot of time talking to her about Shakespeare.
(d) He spends a lot of time talking to her about her mission.
15. Sitting in the tipi at the end of her arrival day in camp, what does May realize?
(a) She is looking forward to the adventure.
(b) This is a tremendous opportunity even though it is frightening.
(c) Perhaps the insane asylum was not as bad as she thought.
(d) She has always been foolish and impetuous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May observe about the women who came to the tribe with her?
2. What happens to the women who try to escape from the camp?
3. How were the women treated when they first entered the Indian camp?
4. Why is Helen pleased the last part of the trip as they approach Cheyenne territory?
5. During her "honeymoon," what does May learn to do?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)