|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the wild events at the council meeting, how does May feel about the position of the women in the tribe?
(a) That they are strangers.
(b) That they are family.
(c) That they are captives.
(d) That they are guests.
2. What does May believe happened during the wedding ceremony?
(a) She was drugged as part of the ceremony.
(b) The men exchanged wives.
(c) Some of the women were forced to leave.
(d) The ceremony was a secret affair.
3. What happens to the women who try to escape from the camp?
(a) They are found dead due to exposure and starvation.
(b) They are caught by members of the Cheyenne.
(c) They are able to meet up with a passing wagon train.
(d) They are able to make their way back to the fort.
4. What does Helen Flight tell Lydia Bradley about the feathers in her new hat?
(a) The feathers are from a bird that is almost extinct.
(b) The Seminole Indians kill the birds in order to get the feathers.
(c) It is silly to put feathers on hats.
(d) Those particular feathers are cheap and easy to come by.
5. As the women approach the Indian tribe, what do they learn about the Indians?
(a) The Indians are having second thoughts about the program.
(b) The Cheyenne Indian tribe will be coming to meet them.
(c) Their families have been told the truth about their mission.
(d) There is unrest between the Indian tribes and between the Indians and white people.
6. What does May believe after her honeymoon with Chief Little Wolf?
(a) She has found the one, true love of her life.
(b) That the Chief will be her window to the tribe.
(c) That the whole mission is doomed to failure.
(d) That the women need to get together to compare notes.
7. What things were an important part of the wedding ceremony?
(a) Food and instruction on how to prepare this special food.
(b) Instructions on properly serving their new husbands.
(c) Music, singing, and dancing.
(d) Instructions on how to be good Indian wives.
8. What does Captain Bourke say to May the evening before leaving the women with the Cheyenne?
(a) He feels she should go to one of the other tribes.
(b) He forbids her to go with the Indians.
(c) He insists that she return to the fort every month.
(d) He insists that she return to her family immediately.
9. Two days after May meets Captain Bourke, where does he invite her to do?
(a) Look around the fort.
(b) Have an after dinner drink.
(c) Take a look at the horses.
(d) Take a stroll.
10. What does Gretchen tell her husband after he wagers her for whiskey with Jules Seminole?
(a) She can make him rich if he will be good to her.
(b) She is going to kill him.
(c) That she wants the whiskey to sell.
(d) To not come back to her tent.
11. How does May describe herself during a conversation at the dinner table about religion?
(a) A Protestant.
(b) A Catholic.
(c) An Anglican.
(d) A bit of an agnostic.
12. What does May observe about the women who came to the tribe with her?
(a) They are counting the days until they can leave.
(b) They have maintained vestiges of their previous lives.
(c) They are unhappy with the tribe and let them know it.
(d) They look very much like natives.
13. What happens to Jules Seminole because he brought the whiskey to the tribe?
(a) He is banished for one year.
(b) He is sent to the fort for imprisonment.
(c) He is sent to live with another Indian tribe.
14. What does Jimmy come to May's tent to ask?
(a) If she will help him with the horses.
(b) To go to Captain Bourke's tent.
(c) He wants her to ride with him for the rest of the trip.
(d) He fears for her safety.
15. During the final part of the trip to meet the Cheyenne, what does Captain Bourke tell the women about the Indians?
(a) Only by trading with the Indians can they be civilized.
(b) The Brides for Indians program may be able to save the Indians.
(c) The Indians must be subdued by a superior military force before they can be civilized.
(d) The Indian civilization must be completely destroyed.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Indians inspect the woman, what is May certain of?
2. Whose tent do May, Martha, and the other women run to when the Indians run amok?
3. The women try to keep in touch but are often too tired to do so. When May finally sees Phemie again, what does Phemie tell her?
4. According to May's diary, what does Narcissa White considers herself to be?
5. What were May Dodd's feelings while she rode the train on her way to become one of the Brides for Indians?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)