|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Whistling Elk, Ada Ware's husband, who shoots and kills Runs From Crow, Marie Blanche's husband?
(a) He is exiled and must live on the outskirts of the camp.
(b) He is killed.
(c) He is banished forever and not allowed near the community.
(d) He is sent to the fort for a trial.
2. For the last part of their journey to the Indians, what do the women ride in?
(a) A very uncomfortable cart.
(b) In a train car.
(c) On horseback.
(d) A somewhat uncomfortable covered wagon.
3. Sitting in the tipi at the end of her arrival day in camp, what does May realize?
(a) She has always been foolish and impetuous.
(b) Perhaps the insane asylum was not as bad as she thought.
(c) This is a tremendous opportunity even though it is frightening.
(d) She is looking forward to the adventure.
4. What happens when Jules Seminole calls Gretchen German?
(a) She loses the match.
(b) She tells him she is Swiss and beats him.
(c) She tells him she is Polish and beats him.
(d) She tells him she hates half-breeds.
5. What does May say about her children in her letter to Harry?
(a) She realizes it was for the best.
(b) She misses her children.
(c) She no longer misses her children.
(d) She is glad that she is no longer responsible for the children.
6. Why was Mary initially willing to participate in the Brides for Indians program?
(a) To go to the West.
(b) To make money.
(c) To escape the asylum.
(d) To get away from her parents.
7. What information does the blacksmith's family that houses Phemie tell about the Cheyenne?
(a) They are considered the most handsome and cleanest of the Indian tribes, and their women most virtuous.
(b) They are very rigid and that women are not treated well.
(c) They are well organized, but not particularly clean.
(d) They are known for being excellent thieves when they visit the forts.
8. What is Narcissa White's reaction to the destructive events the night the Indians drink the whiskey?
(a) She condemns the women for being sinners.
(b) She believes that God has forsaken her and all of the women.
(c) She sets up a prayer meeting.
(d) She tries to escape the camp and return to the fort.
9. What are some of the smells involved with living with the Indians that make an impression on May?
(a) Wonderful smells of cooking.
(b) Indescribable odors of bedding, people, and smoke.
(c) Smells of the horses that live so close to the people.
(d) Clean smells of the laundry.
10. Who are the Kelly sisters, Margaret and Susan?
(a) Two women looking for adventure in the West.
(b) Women sold into the program by their husbands.
(c) Innocent women serving ten years in the Illinois State Penitentiary.
(d) Twins serving ten years in the Illinois State Penitentiary.
11. What does May observe about the women who came to the tribe with her?
(a) They are counting the days until they can leave.
(b) They look very much like natives.
(c) They have maintained vestiges of their previous lives.
(d) They are unhappy with the tribe and let them know it.
12. What has Helen become during her time with the tribe?
(a) A successful artist and a woman of financial success.
(b) A successful but poor artist.
(c) A frightened woman hated because of her art.
(d) A frightening woman of power because of her art.
13. According to tribal custom, because Marie Blanche's husband is dead and she is pregnant, what happens to her?
(a) She is married to the Chief.
(b) She is banished from the tribe.
(c) One Bear, Runs From Crow's younger brother, offers to marry her.
(d) She is sent back to the fort.
14. What does Gretchen tell her husband after he wagers her for whiskey with Jules Seminole?
(a) She can make him rich if he will be good to her.
(b) She is going to kill him.
(c) That she wants the whiskey to sell.
(d) To not come back to her tent.
15. What do May and John Bourke do at the end of their conversation the day before the women are to be left with the Cheyenne?
(a) They realize they do not really like each other.
(b) Make love.
(c) Decide to run away together.
(d) Vow to remain chaste and love from afar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Gretchen Fathauer described?
2. After the Indians inspect the woman, what is May certain of?
3. What does May believe happened during the wedding ceremony?
4. The women try to keep in touch but are often too tired to do so. When May finally sees Phemie again, what does Phemie tell her?
5. How does Lieutenant James' wife, Abigail, treat May when she stays with the family?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)