|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Captain Bourke say to May the evening before leaving the women with the Cheyenne?
(a) He insists that she return to her family immediately.
(b) He forbids her to go with the Indians.
(c) He insists that she return to the fort every month.
(d) He feels she should go to one of the other tribes.
2. What does May believe happened during the wedding ceremony?
(a) The men exchanged wives.
(b) Some of the women were forced to leave.
(c) She was drugged as part of the ceremony.
(d) The ceremony was a secret affair.
3. May and Captain Bourke find they both share an interest in what subject?
(d) The Bible.
4. After the wild events at the council meeting, how does May feel about the position of the women in the tribe?
(a) That they are family.
(b) That they are guests.
(c) That they are captives.
(d) That they are strangers.
5. What information does the blacksmith's family that houses Phemie tell about the Cheyenne?
(a) They are well organized, but not particularly clean.
(b) They are very rigid and that women are not treated well.
(c) They are considered the most handsome and cleanest of the Indian tribes, and their women most virtuous.
(d) They are known for being excellent thieves when they visit the forts.
6. Two days after May meets Captain Bourke, where does he invite her to do?
(a) Have an after dinner drink.
(b) Look around the fort.
(c) Take a stroll.
(d) Take a look at the horses.
7. What does Reverend Hare tell May she is when she returns to camp?
(a) A Godless woman.
(b) A lost woman who must seek spiritual guidance.
(c) A good Christian woman who has been misguided.
(d) A sinner who must repent.
8. What message does Gertie bring from the fort?
(a) Gold has been found in the Black Hills.
(b) The women have been recalled back to Washington, D.C.
(c) The women have been abandoned by the government.
(d) The Cheyenne are about to be attacked by enemy tribes.
9. How does Reverend Hare's performance on the night of the wild party affect the way the Indians feel about him?
(a) Nobody remembers anything.
(b) He is banished from the camp.
(c) He is regarded as a coward.
(d) He is still given the respect due a holy man.
10. What are some of the smells involved with living with the Indians that make an impression on May?
(a) Wonderful smells of cooking.
(b) Indescribable odors of bedding, people, and smoke.
(c) Smells of the horses that live so close to the people.
(d) Clean smells of the laundry.
11. What were May Dodd's feelings while she rode the train on her way to become one of the Brides for Indians?
(a) She reflects warmly about the feeling of safety she had at the asylum.
(b) She is happy to be free of the asylum and misses her own two children.
(c) She is excited about going to marry an Indian as part of the program Brides for Indians.
(d) She is considering how she can escape and find her way to the West to search for gold.
12. How does May describe her first few days with the tribe?
(a) Boring and tedious with nothing to do.
(b) Spent under guard in her tent.
(c) Spent learning sign language.
(d) Full of hard, physical labor and no privacy.
13. What does Helen Flight tell Lydia Bradley about the feathers in her new hat?
(a) It is silly to put feathers on hats.
(b) Those particular feathers are cheap and easy to come by.
(c) The feathers are from a bird that is almost extinct.
(d) The Seminole Indians kill the birds in order to get the feathers.
14. During the dinner conversation, Lydia Bradley tries to turn the conversation to what subject?
(a) The need for more gardens at the fort.
(b) The ladies' sewing circle.
(c) Her new hat and the latest New York fashion.
(d) Her new dress and the latest New York fashion.
15. What does Jimmy come to May's tent to ask?
(a) He wants her to ride with him for the rest of the trip.
(b) He fears for her safety.
(c) To go to Captain Bourke's tent.
(d) If she will help him with the horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gretchen tell her husband after he wagers her for whiskey with Jules Seminole?
2. What does May try to discourage the Indians from doing during a special council meeting?
3. On the night she was taken to the asylum, what happened to Mary's babies?
4. Who are the Kelly sisters, Margaret and Susan?
5. What is Captain Bourke disturbed to learn about what the women don't know?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)