|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lieutenant James' wife, Abigail, treat May when she stays with the family?
(a) She is cruel to May.
(b) She is solicitous to May.
(c) She is aloof toward May.
(d) She is kind to May.
2. What happens to the women who try to escape from the camp?
(a) They are able to make their way back to the fort.
(b) They are able to meet up with a passing wagon train.
(c) They are found dead due to exposure and starvation.
(d) They are caught by members of the Cheyenne.
3. How is Gretchen Fathauer described?
(a) A poor, shy woman.
(b) The very picture of the blond, Swiss lass with pigtails.
(c) A beautiful German woman.
(d) A large, Swiss woman with a heart of gold.
4. What effect does Phemie's victory in the races have on the women?
(a) They are united in their pleasure that a woman won.
(b) They are frightened about how the men will react.
(c) It has no effect at all.
(d) They decide to demand qual treatment.
5. After the Indians inspect the woman, what is May certain of?
(a) She has been chosen by the apparent chief of the tribe.
(b) She has made a terrible decision to come to this place.
(c) The Indians will go off and fight over the women.
(d) The Indians will not return because they are not happy.
6. How does May describe the camp that is set up at the end of each day of travel?
(a) Casual so that it is as easy as possible on everyone.
(b) Haphazard because they are not terribly organized in their travel.
(c) Ordered and exactly like the camp the day before.
(d) Very small and compact for safety.
7. What kind of person is Narcissa White?
(a) A shrew who hates everyone.
(b) A selfish spinster.
(c) A quiet, little woman.
(d) A Christian missionary with a shrill voice.
8. What does May learn about Jimmy during the last days of the trip?
(a) Jimmy is really a military spy.
(b) Jimmy plans on trading some guns with the Indians.
(c) Jimmy is really a girl named Dirty Gertie.
(d) Jimmy is spying on Captain Bourke.
9. According to May's diary, what does Narcissa White considers herself to be?
(a) A powerful, spiritual force who believes her children will civilize the tribe.
(b) A Christian who should spend her time praying.
(c) An official representative of the American Church Missionary Society.
(d) A beautiful woman who should have the best husband.
10. What does May say about her children in her letter to Harry?
(a) She misses her children.
(b) She is glad that she is no longer responsible for the children.
(c) She no longer misses her children.
(d) She realizes it was for the best.
11. How does Reverend Hare's performance on the night of the wild party affect the way the Indians feel about him?
(a) He is banished from the camp.
(b) He is regarded as a coward.
(c) He is still given the respect due a holy man.
(d) Nobody remembers anything.
12. For the last part of their journey to the Indians, what do the women ride in?
(a) A very uncomfortable cart.
(b) On horseback.
(c) In a train car.
(d) A somewhat uncomfortable covered wagon.
13. What were May Dodd's feelings while she rode the train on her way to become one of the Brides for Indians?
(a) She reflects warmly about the feeling of safety she had at the asylum.
(b) She is excited about going to marry an Indian as part of the program Brides for Indians.
(c) She is considering how she can escape and find her way to the West to search for gold.
(d) She is happy to be free of the asylum and misses her own two children.
14. As the women prepare to leave with the Indians, who joins them?
(a) Captain Bourke.
(b) The Episcopalian Reverend Hare.
(c) The soldiers who will take them back to the fort.
15. Two days after May meets Captain Bourke, where does he invite her to do?
(a) Look around the fort.
(b) Take a stroll.
(c) Have an after dinner drink.
(d) Take a look at the horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the women feel about staying with Phemie?
2. How does Captain Bourke behave during the trip to the Indians?
3. What is the President's Indian Peace Plan?
4. What does Jimmy come to May's tent to ask?
5. How does May describe the train they use to get to Fort Laramie in comparison to their transportation from Chicago?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)