|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through NOTEBOOK IV THE DEVIL WHISKEY 23 May, 26 May and 28 May 1875.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does May describe her first few days with the tribe?
(a) Spent under guard in her tent.
(b) Boring and tedious with nothing to do.
(c) Spent learning sign language.
(d) Full of hard, physical labor and no privacy.
2. What is the one diversion the women are able to enjoy at Fort Laramie?
(a) The communal meals held in the officers' dining hall.
(b) The reading library near the officers' quarters.
(c) The long walks in the common area.
(d) The sewing circle that the officers' wives had.
3. What are some of the smells involved with living with the Indians that make an impression on May?
(a) Smells of the horses that live so close to the people.
(b) Indescribable odors of bedding, people, and smoke.
(c) Clean smells of the laundry.
(d) Wonderful smells of cooking.
4. What is Captain Bourke concerned about when he is alone with May in his tent?
(a) Her being forbidden to become an Indian bride.
(b) Any sense of impropriety that might concern May.
(c) The possibility that he will be demoted.
(d) Their future together.
5. What two things does May stop doing because of the cruel way she is treated while staying with the family of Lieutenant James?
(a) She refuses to eat and stops taking walks.
(b) She stops writing in her journal and stops paying any attention to the soldier's requests.
(c) She stops writing in her journal and stops taking walks.
(d) She refuses to eat and stops writing in her journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. The women try to keep in touch but are often too tired to do so. When May finally sees Phemie again, what does Phemie tell her?
2. How is Gretchen Fathauer described?
3. After May returns to her tent, what is Martha most concerned about?
4. What do May and John Bourke do at the end of their conversation the day before the women are to be left with the Cheyenne?
5. Why is Helen pleased the last part of the trip as they approach Cheyenne territory?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)