|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 7 May and 8 May, 1875.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Captain Bourke say to May the evening before leaving the women with the Cheyenne?
(a) He insists that she return to her family immediately.
(b) He feels she should go to one of the other tribes.
(c) He forbids her to go with the Indians.
(d) He insists that she return to the fort every month.
2. What is unusual about the hat that Lydia wears to wave goodbye to the party led by Captain Bourke?
(a) It has no feathers.
(b) It resembles an Indian headress as seen by New York designers.
(c) It has special pom poms.
(d) It has even more feathers than the first hat she wore.
3. Why does Martha decide to join the Brides for Indians program?
(a) To go to the West.
(b) She is afraid to be punished for helping May.
(c) To marry an Indian.
(d) To make money.
4. When the Cheyenne come to inspect the white women, what does May realize that Captain Bourke understands?
(a) He is relieved that he is about to deliver the women.
(b) He is in love with her and wants her to stay with him.
(c) The Chief has selected May for his own.
(d) He knows she will be safe and cared for.
5. What is Captain Bourke disturbed to learn about what the women don't know?
(a) They were not given information about the life they would face.
(b) That they would not be able to return to the fort for their safety.
(c) That they could be abandoned if they were not selected.
(d) They had no way of ending their agreement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jimmy?
2. How does May describe herself during a conversation at the dinner table about religion?
3. What is the one diversion the women are able to enjoy at Fort Laramie?
4. What does May say about her children in her letter to Harry?
5. How does Lieutenant James' wife, Abigail, treat May when she stays with the family?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)