|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 7 May and 8 May, 1875.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. May and Captain Bourke find they both share an interest in what subject?
(a) The Bible.
2. Why is Helen Flight interested in birds?
(a) She collects recipes for cooking birds.
(b) She designs hats and uses their feathers.
(c) She is a naturalist.
(d) She studies bird anatomy and physiology.
3. What kind of Indians were the fort Indians, according to Abigail James?
(a) "Industrious and interested in learning white man's ways."
(b) "They are business owners who were successful at the forts."
(c) "They exploited their culture by selling trinkets to white people."
(d) "Drunken, degenerate savages."
4. Who are the Kelly sisters, Margaret and Susan?
(a) Women sold into the program by their husbands.
(b) Two women looking for adventure in the West.
(c) Innocent women serving ten years in the Illinois State Penitentiary.
(d) Twins serving ten years in the Illinois State Penitentiary.
5. What were May Dodd's feelings while she rode the train on her way to become one of the Brides for Indians?
(a) She is happy to be free of the asylum and misses her own two children.
(b) She is considering how she can escape and find her way to the West to search for gold.
(c) She reflects warmly about the feeling of safety she had at the asylum.
(d) She is excited about going to marry an Indian as part of the program Brides for Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things does May stop doing because of the cruel way she is treated while staying with the family of Lieutenant James?
2. How is Gretchen Fathauer described?
3. What is unusual about the hat that Lydia wears to wave goodbye to the party led by Captain Bourke?
4. Why is May sent to the asylum?
5. For the last part of their journey to the Indians, what do the women ride in?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)