|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dick walk back along the bank on his return from the Chilikadrotna River?
2. What is close to zero in Alaska that Dick mentions in "Reflections"?
3. How long does Dick hang the caribou hindquarter under the cache in "Until Another Spring"?
4. What is Dick's advice for seeing game in "Reflections"?
5. What does Dick say provides his transportation while living in the wilderness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Dick decide to hike up Falls Mountain on July 2nd?
2. What does the red runt like to remind Dick of?
3. Describe the grayling that Dick catches and releases while fly fishing in the river.
4. What does Dick find in Frank Bell's cabin?
5. How does the natural world meet Dick's needs?
6. Why does Dick intend to leave his cabin for the winter?
7. What is the weather like on the day Dick stores his things in the cache?
8. Describe the bull caribou's attempts to protect himself from insects.
9. Describe Dick's experience with the brown bear as he hikes down Falls Mountain.
10. Is Dick proud of his cabin and cache?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Dick turn to the natural world to help him solve his problems and meet his needs in the wilderness? In particular, what uses does he find for a tree burl and driftwood? What other items does Dick create using the natural resources that improves the quality of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the obstacles Dick faces when he builds his fireplace. How does he solve his problem of having no lime to mix with the mortar? Where does he find the rocks for his fireplace front? In the end, does he have faith the fireplace will work?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the importance of the setting of Falls Mountain in Dick's wilderness experience. What does Dick see in this setting that appeals to him? What profound experience does he have in this setting, and how does it change him?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)