|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What noises does Dick hear the red runt make in "Red Runt"?
2. Why does Dick walk back along the bank on his return from the Chilikadrotna River?
3. How wide were the rafts made by the Indians?
4. What animal comes out of the woodpile on Dick's last day in the wilderness?
5. Where does Dick store his cache ladder before leaving the wilderness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dick's opinion about food and physical exercise?
2. When Dick spots a caribou bull while canoeing in the lake, what does he hope to do?
3. Describe Dick's comments about the red salmon.
4. Describe the grayling that Dick catches and releases while fly fishing in the river.
5. Describe Dick's experience with the brown bear as he hikes down Falls Mountain.
6. What happens to Dick when he leaves the wilderness for the first time?
7. Describe the bull caribou's attempts to protect himself from insects.
8. What does Dick notice about the mother bear and cubs on Falls Mountain?
9. What makes Dick decide to hike up Falls Mountain on July 2nd?
10. Is Dick willing to make friends with the red runt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Dick turn to the natural world to help him solve his problems and meet his needs in the wilderness? In particular, what uses does he find for a tree burl and driftwood? What other items does Dick create using the natural resources that improves the quality of his life?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of the red runt in Dick's wilderness experience? What does the squirrel teach him about resourcefulness? In what ways does Dick find the squirrel both amusing and irritating?
Essay Topic 3
Dick says in "Reflections" that he thinks "a man has missed a very deep feeling of satisfaction if he has never created or at least completed something with his own two hands." Identify three things that Dick created with his hands and discuss the satisfaction he receives from this creation.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)