|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Dick feel like he cheated in building things he needs?
2. What does Dick say he has learned from living in the wilderness in "Reflections"?
3. When Dick investigates what the magpies are calling about in "The Chilikadrotna", what does he find?
4. What is Dick's first reaction when the bear charges him on Falls Mountain?
5. On the last day Dick is in the wilderness, what is the weather like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dick's last morning at his cabin.
2. Is Dick proud of his cabin and cache?
3. What does Dick find in Frank Bell's cabin?
4. Describe what happens when the red runt gets into Dick's cache.
5. Does Dick feel happy to be back at his cabin after exploring the Chilikadrotna River?
6. How does the natural world meet Dick's needs?
7. What does the red runt like to remind Dick of?
8. Describe Dick's comments about the red salmon.
9. When Dick spots a caribou bull while canoeing in the lake, what does he hope to do?
10. Does Dick seem to admire the way the Indians built their rafts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the importance of the setting of Falls Mountain in Dick's wilderness experience. What does Dick see in this setting that appeals to him? What profound experience does he have in this setting, and how does it change him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the axe and the rifle to Dick and his life in the wilderness. What role do they play in his survival? How does Dick feel when he is without these two items?
Essay Topic 3
How does Dick turn to the natural world to help him solve his problems and meet his needs in the wilderness? In particular, what uses does he find for a tree burl and driftwood? What other items does Dick create using the natural resources that improves the quality of his life?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)